• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSeed giving LUNAR PSP a fresh translation

duckroll

grandjedi6 said:
Hero of Legend actually managed to elude an answer to that ridiculous figure with one of his endless barrages of emails to that poor poor man at Xseed:

Wow, he actually managed to get a USEFUL answer out of poor Ken! That's shocking to say the least, but yet informative! :eek:

vireland

Stage On said:
Have you ever considered they didn't want Vic becuse of how legendary slow he is? WD games where almost always late and maybe they didn't want to delay the remake any more then nessisary :lol

There's two kinds of project, our project and someone else's. On Miami Law, we were done on-time with an extremely tight schedule. Were it my project, I would have taken the time to polish a whole bunch of things, but it wasn't so we lived within the bounds presented. Timing wasn't and isn't an issue on the for-hire stuff we do.

Grimmy

Banned
Any worries about this game's translation should now be allayed. I'm playing through Half-Minute Hero by XSEED and the localization is excellent. Some of the funniest lines I've seen in games in a while.

Christopher

I love the demo.

Vic they can't use Jennifers song from the intro as they appreantly are going to use the same intro. I'll be very sad as I thought you guys did an AMAZING job on keeping the Japanese meledy yet making an English song out of it...I hate when they just leave Japanese lyrics to music.

Point and click map? Ugh negative aspect wtf

and it seems to easy in the old game the white dragon cave would kick my ass

Just finished the demo and I've gotta say that I love it. The attention to detail in Burg is just outstanding. It's how I've always pictured a Lunar game should look. I was shocked at how beautifully the music was updated in Burg. I still prefer many of the Lunar TSS music tracks over Lunar SSSC, but these sound great. Overall pleased with what they've done with this remake. If Gaijinworks were doing the translation, this would be my game of the millennium, but as it stands it will just have to be my most anticipated game. If XSeed doesn't take the translation too seriously and makes the dialogue witty, I'm sure this game will rock.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I've played the demo and really like it, but what I didn't expect was that the MUSIC would be the highlight. The rearrangements are amazing! :D

Christopher

They need to up the difficulty though, you shouldn't be breezing through the first dungeon like that. Vic didn't you guys make the game harder? I found it much more enjoyable having to pace myself/grind more.

I always loved Silver Star Story Complete's battle music over the Silver Star and this remix totally does it justice.

RurouniZel

Augemitbutter said:
hearing the music turned out very well makes me happy. hope they're planning to release the OST someday.

Well, preorders of the Japanese edition gets one a bonus CD. (mine's on preorder XD)

Yaweee

http://www.famitsu.com/sp/091019_lunar/02.html

Some new screens. That's a pretty interesting deviation from the original.

n15k4y.jpg

ethelred

I'm going to buy this game to ensure that Ignition doesn't end up with any more XSEED games.

Unless this is the next XSEED game Ignition nabs, in which case I won't touch it with a ten foot pole with a Ghaleon punching puppet on the end.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
ethelred said:
I'm going to buy this game to ensure that Ignition doesn't end up with any more XSEED games.

Unless this is the next XSEED game Ignition nabs, in which case I won't touch it with a ten foot pole with a Ghaleon punching puppet on the end.
I wonder why Ignition's been grabbing up XSEED's games lately.

B.K.

ethelred said:

I doubt Ignition will go after Lunar. They only steal away Marvelous games from XSEED.

zigg

Jangaroo said:
I wonder why Ignition's been grabbing up XSEED's games lately.

Marvelous thinks it's better for their bottom line. Ignition seems to be better at getting games on shelves.

Judging from that battle scene pic I am now pretty interested. Assuming it animates well this should be a pretty nice remake. There seems to be quite a bit of new stuff added so it looks like I will be going back into this game for the fourth time.

Lateraleye said:
NO. WAY. I've waited over a decade for that screen with those characters.

you're not the only one.

and i wish more remakes used this style, can't beat fine craftsmanship. when i look at most current DS and some PSP RPGs....damn.

GhaleonQ

I'm listening to a USF rip, and the new music's pretty neat. It's very much of a piece with the rest of the game: more vibrant takes on original bits without erasing the original vision. The soundtrack's based on Silver Star Story's. The big drum beat on Ghaleon's theme sounds like a cannon is being fired at the same time, which (oddly) adds a lot to it. Magical Weapon sounds like a Ys piece. The guitar is prominent in certain places, the synth is Ys/Tales-like, and the French horns are WAY better. Before they only had "muted horn" midi tones, now they're allowed to have really loud staccato-like stuff. It's definitely better and more complicated, but it's a little too jumbled up now. They used the same instruments for "Modern Boy," his main theme. The ocarina music is WAY more interesting, too, since it doesn't just play straight notes. Someone's actually PLAYING it. "In The Darkness" is actually kind of scary now. "Go, Go, Go" is HUGE now. "Country Town" (Burg's theme) is way better. Violin and clarinet on the 2nd bit and a whole bunch of interesting flourishes make it a really classic town piece now. Basically, the whole soundtrack's like this. Better instrumentation, the right amount of new developments, a couple of instrument changes, but it's definitely a little bit muted so as not to seem too modern compared to the rest of the package. The only worse track, I think, is Alex's theme, "Determination." It's better in most contexts, but the acoustic guitar, faster drum part, and different harp glissando is worse for when it makes the biggest mark (when they
regroup after losing
). Maybe "City Of Magic," Vane's theme, too.

There are only 4 new tracks (not including whatever's included in movie files). 1's a cute jingle. What I assume is the 4 Heroes stuff is really fantastic. One's a male choir in a minor key doing a really oppressive march that goes into a low piano riff. 1 is basically arranged Ace Attorney stuff and it's amazing. Basically, it goes Objection to the middle part of any Cross-Examination, then it cuts out into Luna's singing, back into Cross-Examination, and then in a minor key to loop. The epilogue to this bit is a waltz that goes from Russian to German/Austrian style and then lays a little electric piano over the end.

So, yeah, I'm DEFINITELY not 1 of those people who prefers old or new stuff just because of nostalgia or because more realistic instrumentation = better, but this is definitely the best version of the soundtrack to date.

RurouniZel

GhaleonQ said:
Did anyone pick it up, by the way?

Playing it right now. At the Meribian Sewers. The game is easier than the PSX version, though I think that was the same in the original Japanese version (i.e. WD made it harder). The graphics are lovely and the music is orchestrated really well. Especially the boss theme. It's 1000x better with the new sound.

RurouniZel

B.K. said:
Seen any changes to the story yet?

The new scenario is right at the beginning, everything else is the same and I'm 99.9% sure it's gonna stay that way. This is basically SSSC the prettier looking/sounding version.

Not that I mind at all. The only thing even better would be TSS the prettier looking/sounding version.

RurouniZel said:
Playing it right now. At the Meribian Sewers. The game is easier than the PSX version, though I think that was the same in the original Japanese version (i.e. WD made it harder). The graphics are lovely and the music is orchestrated really well. Especially the boss theme. It's 1000x better with the new sound.

oh my, goty confirmed.

GhaleonQ

RurouniZel said:
The new scenario is right at the beginning, everything else is the same and I'm 99.9% sure it's gonna stay that way. This is basically SSSC the prettier looking/sounding version.

Was the new music for that scenario?

Picking it up only because I haven't played anything released other than the original Lunar on SegaCD. No Eternal Blue. No Saturn. No Playstation.

So I guess that was like 17 years ago? Yeah time to revisit.

Don't really care who translates it but I'm not suprised at the snobs in the thread.

Tailzo

I tried the demo, and then I preordered the game :) It's very pretty. I've wanted to plany through a Lunar game for quite some time.

For the rpg fans here, check it out!

RurouniZel

GhaleonQ said:
Was the new music for that scenario?

Yes, the new music is for the new scenario. I actually quite like it, it's some of Iwadare's better work in recent years.

I've gotten a little further in the game (about 10 hours in) and I've encountered one new scene during the game that's not the obviously new prologue. It's pretty inconsequential (i.e. it's not an earth-shattering, game changing development), but it was a nice touch to add a little something that wasn't in the original game (and I know it wasn't in there because right before this arrived I marathoned the original PSX version just to refresh my memory about the various flags in the game to make sure I didn't forget who to talk to in what order to trigger certain events).

duckroll

You know, I've always wondered about the Japanese packaging for Lunar. I own both WD's releases of Lunar SSSC and EBC, and they're really solid packages with hardcover artbooks and other goodies. What's the Japanese packaging for Lunar PSP like? Is there a substantial amount of art in the manual? Reversible cover? I heard there's a pre-order soundtrack CD bonus too, did you get that?

RurouniZel

duckroll said:
You know, I've always wondered about the Japanese packaging for Lunar. I own both WD's releases of Lunar SSSC and EBC, and they're really solid packages with hardcover artbooks and other goodies. What's the Japanese packaging for Lunar PSP like? Is there a substantial amount of art in the manual? Reversible cover? I heard there's a pre-order soundtrack CD bonus too, did you get that?

To answer your questions, it's a pretty normal package. Nothing special. No reversable cover, the only art in the manual is the cover and character portraits.

The pre-order CD is REALLY nice though. It's 34 tracks, the first three are new, the last three are piano arrangements of the Overworld theme, Luna and Alex's Song, and Tsubasa. The rest of the tracks have most of the main arrangements from the game, including the redone Opening song and Boat song. The cover is a drawing by Kubooka, and the inside has a monotone image of Alex and Luna looking at Vane, with the track list.

duckroll

RurouniZel said:
To answer your questions, it's a pretty normal package. Nothing special. No reversable cover, the only art in the manual is the cover and character portraits.

The pre-order CD is REALLY nice though. It's 34 tracks, the first three are new, the last three are piano arrangements of the Overworld theme, Luna and Alex's Song, and Tsubasa. The rest of the tracks have most of the main arrangements from the game, including the redone Opening song and Boat song. The cover is a drawing by Kubooka, and the inside has a monotone image of Alex and Luna looking at Vane, with the track list.

Not bad. The pre-order CD sounds pretty good. Is the opening and boat song completely remastered? Oh, that reminds me, how are the FMVs handled in the PSP game itself?

RurouniZel

duckroll said:
Not bad. The pre-order CD sounds pretty good. Is the opening and boat song completely remastered? Oh, that reminds me, how are the FMVs handled in the PSP game itself?

The Opening and Boat songs are re-recorded. You can tell because they're in a slightly lower key than in the original PSX/Saturn version.

The FMV scenes are not widescreen, so while it's a little jarring at first, it's good that they didn't crop the animation. It's very crisp and not pixelated (though there is some artifacting in a part of the OP toward the beginning when it scrolls left to right through a bunch of the secondary characters). Very clean otherwise, and now you can skip the cinemas as well by pressing Start.

linkboy

There's not many PSP games I'm looking forward to (MGS, Ys 7 (which probably won't see a US release) and this).

Can't wait to play it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The bad guy that Dyne fights against looks nothing like Lunar characters are usually designed (no repeating geometrical patterns, etc.). He looks like a character from Persona or something. But that's fine, maybe he's supposed to look "other-wordly". Whatever the case, I wish this was on PSN:( I love Lunar, but never finished Eternal Blue (got to the end tho). I am guessing they'll remake EB too. But if they were to make a TRUE sequel to EB (or prequel to SS) then I think I would buy a PSP. Not gonna happen tho:(

Bog

Junior Ace
RurouniZel said:

Is the boss theme based on the Sega CD version? That was the BEST.

Ether_Snake said:
The bad guy that Dyne fights against looks nothing like Lunar characters are usually designed (no repeating geometrical patterns, etc.). He looks like a character from Persona or something. But that's fine, maybe he's supposed to look "other-wordly". Whatever the case, I wish this was on PSN:( I love Lunar, but never finished Eternal Blue (got to the end tho). I am guessing they'll remake EB too. But if they were to make a TRUE sequel to EB (or prequel to SS) then I think I would buy a PSP. Not gonna happen tho:(

He reminds me a lot of the designs for enemies you'd see associated with Zophar.

Ether_Snake said:

Probably more than once.

Augemitbutter said:
i'm ready!

So am I, if they re-incorporate elements from the Sega CD version which were changed in EBC.

But seriously: please make a new damn Lunar game, GameArts. Not that Dragon Song crap either.

Fady K

zigg said:
Marvelous thinks it's better for their bottom line. Ignition seems to be better at getting games on shelves.

I still don't understand this. Especially when Xseed was the first to announce say, Muramasa. I love Xseed, and i love the quality and care they put into their localizations, manuals, etc - top notch - certainly better than the quality ignition has put out - such as with the Lux Pain localization, or the cheap quality books, or the online functionality in King of Fighters XII. So why does this happen to Xseed? Anyone have any idea?

Top Bottom