• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XV Signature Song: Somnus or Gratia Mundi?

Which song is destined to be Final Fantasy XV's signature song?

Somnus Nemoris or Gratia Mundi

It's been a toss-up in past games as to what song becomes the defining song of the game. Sometimes they're battle themes, sometimes they're vocal songs. IMO:

FFIV: Theme of Love
FFV: Battle at the Big Bridge
FFVI: Terra's Theme
FFVII: One Winged Angel
FFVIII: Eyes On Me
FFIX: You're Not Alone
FFX: To Zanarkand
FFX-2: 1000 Words
FFXII: Esper Battle? Giza Plains? Kiss Me Goodbye?
FFXIII: Blinded By Light
FFXIII-2: Wish
Lightning Returns: Crimson Blitz

iosefe

on The CW they played a promotion commercial featuring Stand By Me

they REALLY want that to be its song

Acosta

Somnus, always, forever.

Omnis Lacrima, Florence stuff and "Gratia Mundi" (don't remember the true name) are marvelous, but Somus is special. I have been interested in Versus 10 years for that song. One of Shimomura very best.

As a close second I could accept (name in spoiler just in case)
Apocalypsis Noctis

thanks to all the trailers previews and such, "gratia Mundi" is the defacto ff15 song to me.

I also like how so many people somehow mistook this thread for "best song" in ff15

Geg

Actually since we're talking about music, can anyone give me a quick non-spoilery yes or no answer if the other two Florence and the Machine songs are actually used in the game? What about the Prelude remix from that one world of wonder video?

Gratia Mundi has been on national television

I'm not sure how serious you are

Lkhond

Neo Member
In my opinion, Somnus is the best piece. It resonates with me and bring a sense of nostalgia.
But Gratia is super iconic... Maybe both Will stuck?

Twookie

I really like Nox Aeterna

If I had to choose one of the songs in the OP I would pick Somnus, but to me, Nox Aeterna is the one I connect with the most since that's the reveal song that showed the change from VersusXIII to XV

AgeEighty

I've been pleasantly surprised by the FFXV soundtrack so far.

Too many orchestral soundtracks eschew simple, memorable melodies in favor of lushly composed and often forgettable background music. But Yoko Shimomura, as someone who has composed iconic soundtracks with memorable themes (SFII), really struck a great balance here.

This thread is officially garbage. It should be Memories of Lightwaves up there.

In all seriousness, the right answer is Too Much Is Never Enough.

Memories of Lightwaves is the best song in FF history (look at my username duh) but I think X-2 is associated with 1000 Words as it appears in several different versions throughout the game.

wmlk

Gratia Mundi is actually a fan title given by GuardianSoul on GAF. His recreation caught on and so did that title. The actual name for the track is Valse Di Fantastica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_jXw132G-Y

I think the composition here is pretty amazing. I think it's more melodic and I personally like it much more than Somnus. Looking at the OST, though, I don't think that bit is used in the game enough. There are only two tracks that have the same composition. The other theme is used when you're out exploring. I really, really like this version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXHuWSGDkfw

This theme is so good that I'm disappointed there aren't more instances of it throughout the OST. The best version is actually not even in the OST, and was relegated to the TGS 2014 trailer. I've timestamped that bit:

https://youtu.be/xI4hHjECZws?t=54s

SO GOOD. The reason why Gratia Mundi became a meme is because of how good the TGS 2014 music is. The link that OP has in the title is actually a recreation of the TGS 2014 theme before we got the mp3 file. Hoping there are some surprises when I play the game next week.

I thought TGS 2014 theme might be my favourite theme in any video game. But, it's actually not in XV. ;_____;

ViciousDS

Banned
The worst offender of this game is that Gratia Mundi isn't Altissia's walking theme.

there is a slower version of it though in the overworld.......its very subtle and beautiful

I'm going to go with Gratia Mundi......I've been whistling it all fucking day lol

Quonny

Gratia Mundi aka Valse Di Fantastica.

It's probably one of the top five best Final Fantasy songs ever.

The battle theme, while it doesn't have all the melody of the previous games, is a really, really good battle theme.

Also FFXV has the two best chocobo themes in the entire series. The walking theme is especially fantastic.

Top Bottom