• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XV Signature Song: Somnus or Gratia Mundi?

I don't like the assumption that Aerith's Theme isn't the signature song for FF7. What is this thread?

The "defining" theme of anything is quite simply the main theme. It's the central, over-arching piece that appears throughout.

For Final Fantasy VII, for example, it's neither Aeris' theme or One-Winged Angel. That's a character theme and the final boss track.

This is the defining, main theme of the game.

Now, you can argue what your favorite tracks are, what may be the most "popular" which I'm gathering is what this is mostly about, but the main theme that is the backbone of the entire score is what needs to be the strongest, and as good as those tracks are, this has always been the core theme of FFVII.

yunbuns

Memories of Lightwaves is the best song in FF history (look at my username duh) but I think X-2 is associated with 1000 Words as it appears in several different versions throughout the game.

By the logic wouldn't Melodies of Life be the signature song for IX? Because you hear it in so many of the other tracks in the game.

Also just in case it wasn't clear, I was joking earlier. :p

BlueWord

Really think it's Somnus, despite the push for Stand By Me. Seems like that was a compromise in their attempt to drum up the Western appeal. Honestly, could've been a lot worse, as demonstrated by FFXIII and Leona Lewis.

Sami+

Somnus resonates with me as the theme to Versus to be honest. It's honestly mostly me still being salty and greatly disappointed in what XV ended up being in the end under Tabata's direction.

Song feels nostalgic and brings back the excitement and emotions I felt from those first few trailers before 2013 onward.

Roboculus

I think Gratis Mundi is more representative of FF XV. Somnus feels more closely associated with all the old Versus XIII trailers.

kennyamr

The "defining" theme of anything is quite simply the main theme. It's the central, over-arching piece that appears throughout.

For Final Fantasy VII, for example, it's neither Aeris' theme or One-Winged Angel. That's a character theme and the final boss track.

This is the defining, main theme of the game.

Now, you can argue what your favorite tracks are, what may be the most "popular" which I'm gathering is what this is mostly about, but the main theme that is the backbone of the entire score is what needs to be the strongest, and as good as those tracks are, this has always been the core theme of FFVII.

ty, agree.

Galang

Banned
FF XV knocks it out of the park on the soundtrack department for sure.
Hasn't pretty much every mainline FF game knocked it out the park with music? I can't think of another series that's as consistent. This is the one area I'll never be worried about

Somnus is the song I'll always think of because it was played during the incredibly badass Versus XIII trailer where Noct bodied like 50 soldiers by himself and went back inside like he had just told the neighborhood kids to get off his lawn.

Part of me still wishes we had gotten Nomura's original take on Noctis.

Pejo

Gold Member
I was trying like crazy to figure out what the name of Gratia Mundi was, so thanks so much OP. I'm going to go with that one. I hum it in my head a lot while playing. It's a great song.

Yonafunu

It's between Omnis Lacrima and Gratia Mundi (or False di Fantastica or whatever it's called) for the two halves of the project.

Giolon

Stand By Me

When this started during the intro, the game had me all in.

Valse di Fantastica is the song I most associate with the game at this point though.

Somnus without a doubt. Mellodramatic, emotional, powerful.

Omnus Lacrima is also very good. Really, the soundtrack is probably the best in any game I have played this gen, alongside Witcher 3.

Zedark

Omnis lacrima, I find it to be an incredible song that captures the sense of epic danger almost perfectly.

Hydraean's wrath
and Gratia Mundi are also amazing, shame Somnus is only the instrumental version.

crimilde

Banned
Valse di Fantastica, the Battle Theme and Apocalypsis Noctis are my favourite.
But definitely Valse di Fantastica is the best.

Top Bottom