• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 demo - 11/27/2012 (JAP PSN)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Free shipping option with PA. If it follows the same trend as E.X. Troopers, it will be here Thursday.

Ah ok that explains it.

I need to continue playing have not had a chance at all for 2 days now. Though am still sad that the level cap has not been removed. Seriously hate doing things only knowing that the potential exp is going into the trash. But am not sure how this game works with when you finish a characters chapter if the sub event will still be there if you return to said character. So without bothering to find out am just doing all the sub quest stuff anyways. Have so much cash too its stupid. Nothing much to spend it on currently, but do know it will help out later on big time.

Tried. No success, sadly. Oh well, should arrive this week.

Odd! Now it worked. Aha, customs since dec 10 :|. Thanks.

Glad to hear it worked. Yeah thats the official Japan post office website in english. So with an EMS number from japan it should work 100% of the time.

Torraz

Free shipping option with PA. If it follows the same trend as E.X. Troopers, it will be here Thursday.

Ah ok that explains it.

Glad to hear it worked. Yeah thats the official Japan post office website in english. So with an EMS number from japan it should work 100% of the time.

Think I might go with free PA next time as well, again. They usually take around 8-9 days if not in custom, which is less money and apparently nearly equal delivery time versus EMS + customs...

Then again I also used EMS this time because during this time of year lots of part time people are hired to deliver holiday mail and there is a lot more theft...

Parakeetman

Think I might go with free PA next time as well, again. They usually take around 8-9 days if not in custom, which is less money and apparently nearly equal delivery time versus EMS + customs...

Then again I also used EMS this time because during this time of year lots of part time people are hired to deliver holiday mail and there is a lot more theft...

I never liked PAs free shipping since it was more like "when we feel like it" type of situation. Hence why it was just so uneven my own experience with them.

Thankfully have not had the need to use their services in a long time tho.

Torraz

I never liked PAs free shipping since it was more like "when we feel like it" type of situation. Hence why it was just so uneven my own experience with them.

Thankfully have not had the need to use their services in a long time tho.

Only used them in the past 2 years. Always had my goods within 7-9 days. Yesasia usually 8-12 days. Then again, I may have been lucky.

Endo Punk

Saejima gets Majima's outfit? aw hellz yea! The game is already out in Japan right? I really hope it passes the million mark. The franchise has been going strong for so long and it does pull in the sales, with so much being added to Y5 I do hope it's the best seller in the series. The Famitsu perfect score should go a long way in helping I think. Besides, the better it sells in Japan the more likely SEGA will localize it for the West and I really want to get my hands on this in 2013.

Parakeetman

Interesting 95 meg patch today.

Really did wish that games that patch things would have a patch notice after the update. Thats within the game not me having to go to some forum and look it up.

Just out of curiosity of what was fixed.

Parakeetman

Just managed to
get the weapon / armor upgrade / repair shop. Good thing I had all that cash since was able to upgrade it to max. Though there are items you need certain items / requirements met before they appear in the list / can be made. Just like previous games.
So currently been just
working on upping my various weapon levels since its required to be able to use the higher level stronger weapons. Though if you dont have a good surplus of cash it can make you poor pretty quick with as we all know how fast the shit breaks due to 1 hit = 1 durability point. Esp the weapons that do multiple hits fast.

I really need to progress the story more though...

Gacha-pin

Interesting 95 meg patch today.

Really did wish that games that patch things would have a patch notice after the update. Thats within the game not me having to go to some forum and look it up.

Just out of curiosity of what was fixed.

apparently, it's the first batch of additional contents.

at9b7u.gif

Torraz

For those who already have it. Does the dialogue automatically scroll or can one set it to "Push to continue" mode? Any timed choices (except for revelations)?

rvy

Banned
Yeah, when you guys said my complaints with the idol sections were unfounded, you were definitely right. I'm crazy. This doesn't look terrible at all. :/

Come with me, we shall watch the entirety of Sailor Moon while we wait for Yakuza 5 to get localized.

Gacha-pin

For those who already have it. Does the dialogue automatically scroll or can one set it to "Push to continue" mode? Any timed choices (except for revelations)?

latter, you can also pause prerendered cut scenes and the subtitles remain on the paused screen. I have a few timed choice events so far but they didn't punish me a lot when I failed them.

Spiegel

Yeah, when you guys said my complaints with the idol sections were unfounded, you were definitely right. I'm crazy. This doesn't look terrible at all. :/

Don't you make Persona 4 drawings?

I don't think drawing anime characters from a game is that different than playing that.

And I'm not taking a jab at you. It's just that I really don't get why you have to make such a big deal of these parts.

Choc

Banned
someone with the game want to help me, i am up to a bit where i need to beat a bunch of cars in the city but i can't find htem

done all the taxi races so its not that, and i just beat a purple car in a race that i found about the town.

what the eff do i do now? i have tried everything, ive tried running around the town to find things, done all the side missions and i currently cannot get into the main hostess bar.

so, lil help

Parakeetman

I don't think drawing anime characters from a game is that different than playing that.

And I'm not taking a jab at you. It's just that I really don't get why you have to make such a big deal of these parts.

Just put him on the ignore list and problem solved lol

Torraz

latter, you can also pause prerendered cut scenes and the subtitles remain on the paused screen. I have a few timed choice events so far but they didn't punish me a lot when I failed them.

Thanks. Looking forward to it...

Just now read some horror stories of EMS goods taking at least 1-2 weeks up to a month to clear customs... Sadly didn't know amiami doesn't use ups/fedex for its EMS option... Guess I'm going with the slowpoke option for my two other preorders with them. After that I'm going back to free shipment at PA/YA. Those would have arrived by now with probably no customs duty and EMS price tacked on top :(.

Parakeetman

Are you sure its not just taking longer due to you know standard holiday rush with EVERYONE sending packages everywhere?

Since might want to take that into consideration when doing things internationally.

Unless you have had a faster experience in the past around the same holiday season time.

Question where in the EU are you anyways? Since generally for an example of EMS items from JP to US is damned fast. Since I ship things out every now and then to the East Coast and am impressed with the speeds it gets there at times when am pinged back by my contact that package has arrived safely.

To anyone with the game, how many pages of manga are available to read? I'm hoping that doesn't get cut during localization. Even if there aren't copyright issues, translations of stories people may not even read might not be deemed important enough :(

Torraz

Are you sure its not just taking longer due to you know standard holiday rush with EVERYONE sending packages everywhere?

Since might want to take that into consideration when doing things internationally.

Unless you have had a faster experience in the past around the same holiday season time.

Question where in the EU are you anyways? Since generally for an example of EMS items from JP to US is damned fast. Since I ship things out every now and then to the East Coast and am impressed with the speeds it gets there at times when am pinged back by my contact that package has arrived safely.

I'm in the Netherlands. Most of the posts in those forum threads were from a few years past. Regular post is also delayed by 1-3 days I think, it being the holiday crunch season, but as far as I have seen on EU forums, EMS seems to be regarded as a bit of a "scam". You pay a premium, but then your package gets stuck in a big pile and you get to then pay additional fees on top of it.

Parakeetman

I'm in the Netherlands. Most of the posts in those forum threads were from a few years past. Regular post is also delayed by 1-3 days I think, it being the holiday crunch season, but as far as I have seen on EU forums, EMS seems to be regarded as a bit of a "scam". You pay a premium, but then your package gets stuck in a big pile and you get to then pay additional fees on top of it.

That sucks man, since I never send anything the normal way from Japan to the US. Since not only you get a tracking number its also seems to be faster for me. Less chance of someone screwing it up and going missing since all the data is inputted into the database with the labels they use.

Torraz

That sucks man, since I never send anything the normal way from Japan to the US. Since not only you get a tracking number its also seems to be faster for me. Less chance of someone screwing it up and going missing since all the data is inputted into the database with the labels they use.
Thanks for the sympathy.

That's what I thought. I have ordered (via EMS) too and it went well, usually 3-4 days. But that was UPS/FedEx and they can, apparently, "take care of customs" for you and immediately pick up the parcel and deliver it. Amiami apparently uses JP post and TNT who simply dump the parcel onto a big pile at customs, apparently...

On the other hand, doing the incognito free shipment method goes a lot faster here than people from other countries often report. 8-10 days is the average, which is not that bad at all. Ah well, lessons learned. At least things won't get stolen this way. Not like I don't have enough games to play, but it still irritates me, to say the least.

To anyone with the game, how many pages of manga are available to read? I'm hoping that doesn't get cut during localization. Even if there aren't copyright issues, translations of stories people may not even read might not be deemed important enough :(

I only read a couple but they both had about 20 pages, and there seemed to be about 20 different titles.

Dantis

Singular. The one I linked in the OT is the first time I've ever tried to draw anything anime. I probably won't be doing again. :p

Soejima's characters are pretty different to this though. I can't be doing with it, and it makes me sad.

Gacha-pin

someone with the game want to help me, i am up to a bit where i need to beat a bunch of cars in the city but i can't find htem

done all the taxi races so its not that, and i just beat a purple car in a race that i found about the town.

what the eff do i do now? i have tried everything, ive tried running around the town to find things, done all the side missions and i currently cannot get into the main hostess bar.

so, lil help

What chapter? Have you progressed the main story?

I only checked one book (ippo) and that one had about 30 pages.

Parakeetman

so, lil help

If you can actually read / understand Japanese I dont see how you got lost / dont understand what to do. Everything is pretty straightforward...

Also to those who are going to be playing the game, really dont bother trying to over level yourself too fast. Am on the 4th chapter with Kiryu and still no level cap increase past 20.

---

The mangas seem to vary in length. But its not like you get a full volume, so dont go in with any expectations like that. Whoever is on the team that made choices though seems to have some pretty good tastes for putting in the obscure manga Choujin Gakuen. Due to licensing issues if no titles exist in the US / license for overseas publishing am sure that they will cut that section. Dont expect anything new to be put in place as that would require whole new negotiations for putting in something different. Id imagine all of the Japanese magazine covers which you can look at (just the cover) in the convenience store will be cut also. Unless there was some sort of license which allows for just this game to specifically show all of these things for overseas use in the game. But I wouldnt hold your breath, as generally such licenses cost more $$$ than a standard domestic one.

Persona86

Banned

It's ALWAYS childhood trauma, as a child he was probably forced to go on stage and dance, he probably pee'd himself and then he moved on to the beauty pageant world, oh the horror!

(just kidding Dantis ;))

Torraz

A miracle has occurred.

Good news:
- package delivered way earlier than estimated (according to the experience of other shoppers in my country)

Neutral news:
- have to decide which of the two games to play Y5 or Layton vs. AA

Bad news:
- import duties and fees of around 2.5 x what the EMS cost... Luckily I have held back on purchases this year (nearly no steam sales etc...) and have focused on the backlog.

Now to see if my limited knowledge of Japanese and my Tablet with some japanese dictionary type apps (kanji recognition etc.) can get me through this. I'm hoping for some productive EDUtainment ;). There should be no problem with regard to money spent / hour as I'll probably be trudging through quite slowly as my reading comprehension is far behind my listening comprehension. Should be fun though!

Parakeetman

A miracle has occurred.

Good news:
- package delivered way earlier than estimated (according to the experience of other shoppers in my country)

Neutral news:
- have to decide which of the two games to play Y5 or Layton vs. AA

Bad news:
- import duties and fees of around 2.5 x what the EMS cost... Luckily I have held back on purchases this year (nearly no steam sales etc...) and have focused on the backlog.

Now to see if my limited knowledge of Japanese and my Tablet with some japanese dictionary type apps (kanji recognition etc.) can get me through this. I'm hoping for some productive EDUtainment ;). There should be no problem with regard to money spent / hour as I'll probably be trudging through quite slowly as my reading comprehension is far behind my listening comprehension. Should be fun though!

Will make it even more interesting considering a good bunch of the characters in Kiryus part of the game speak the Hakata Dialect. Good luck with the game at least it should be good practice to what you already know.

---

Just cleared Kiryus chapter for now. The next character is
Saejima
Nothing carries over apparently. Items in the item box or Cash.

Argh! Yakuza demos always piss me off! So many restrictions! But I did love what I played, Kiryu controls a lot better and fighting does a better job of crowd control it seems, the red heat action in particular is amazing here. The hostess games seem to be a lot more involved though I didn't understand a word it seems you can ask them questions ands such. Spent quite a bit of time at the Sega arcade and I really enjoyed VF2 plus that drums game was a blast. The only downside is the river which looks really quite bad and the fact it's unknown whether it will get a Western release or not.

I do hope for a summer 2013 release, that would be the perfect time. I need to gt my next Yakuza fix, already done everything and Platinum'd Y4.

I also enjoyed the Arcade very much, probably since many of the other things going on have been totally lost on me for a lack of understanding Japanese language :D I could see me playing through it on Japanese, but I would probably not enjoy it that much for it would mostly be "run from point a to point b according to some faq or sign ingame" (I wouldn't care if they didn't translate the manga if they still leave them in. But I could see a problem arise when some of these are published in other non japanese countries and they would have to pay for the rights to have them ingame -_- especially in Europe, this could be quite a chaotic situation thanks to manga-heavens like France, Germany or Italy, all with different publishers) ... Still, the fighting is real fun :)

Hopefully, this will still get a release in US and Europe... It sucks that every Yakuza game is also a gamble for fans of the series :/ they brought the zombie spin-off over which surprised me - but today's Sega is even more thin on money.

Top Bottom