• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YESSSS x2! AVATAR trailer #2 is NOW LIVE!!!! (mark ALL spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Busty said:
Weren't not even a full week from Avatar Day taking place and already I'm talking to people and telling them about watching the footage and being met with a blank stare.

Did anyone (outside the Interweb) even know this thing was taking place? Has anyone (anecdotally of course) found people (film fans) who either didn't know it was happening or simply didn't care enough to find out.

I've been really surprised by this film's apparent low profile among some people even after Avatar Day.
I'm not really surprised, looking at twitter trends and facebook comments. none of my friends on Fb have mentioned it at all.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I want to see the picture of the yellow canisters holding the 3:57 long Avatar trailer reposted on December 16.

Busty

Banned
stuburns said:
What film doesn't have a low profile in this stage of marketing?

The Twilight sequel. Sherlock Holmes. 2012.

You know, the other big fall movies.

stuburns said:
They already said it destroyed the first day trailer views record. It got major press the next day.

Was a James Cameron film that everyone has been waiting more than a decade for not going to smash that record? I mean seriously.

THe problem is those 4m+ downloads won't neccesarily convert into ticket sales and, let's be honest, all those 4m+ (though almost certainly much more than that) viewers weren't all positive on what they saw.

west said:
Seriously, the only publicity was trough a banner on the cinemas homepage. As I stated before the cinema ended up 20% full... They could have had it filled to the brim with any kind of effort really....

If Avatar was due to be released at the same time as Inception it wouldn't be a problem.

But for a film that's less than four months away from release it's....puzzling to say the least.

StuBurns

Banned
Busty said:
The Twilight sequel. Sherlock Holmes. 2012.

You know, the other big fall movies.

Was a James Cameron film that everyone has been waiting more than a decade for not going to smash that record? I mean seriously.

THe problem is those 4m+ downloads won't neccesarily convert into ticket sales and, let's be honest, all those 4m+ (though almost certainly much more than that) viewers weren't all positive on what they saw.
I hadn't even heard of the Twilight sequel. We don't know the marketing campaign, they left it really late in the game. Most films have serious marketing a year in advance, they're doing it in four months. A week into the marketing campaign of any film is barely going to compare to the exposure Avatar has.

I don't see how it being the biggest trailer release ever is any way written off because of the director. Yes, of course Cameron is the reason people care. That doesn't change the fact the trailer did so well.

As for the response, this is speculative. Everyone I personally shown the trailer have been very very impressed. The newspapers in the UK have been very very impressed with the preview, pretty much everyone I saw at the screening (which was completely full by the way) appeared to be very very impressed.

Just because GAF doesn't like it, really doesn't mean that much. People discussing the quality of the CG is not happening everywhere. This is a tech savvy forum. Outside here, people don't know how good it is. It looks amazing, but just because it's not the most amazing CG ever, it's automatically a mess to some people.

Avatar is going to massive. Not Titanic massive of course, and Fox are well aware of that. But it will do what the funding wanted, get people in the cinema and push 3D adaption so making the cinema more attractive.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
On Friday, a show on air in Australia called The 7pm Project showed a very brief interview with James Cameron from Comic-Con and then played extracts from the trailer.
A man on the panel remarked "I don't know, I'm getting a Jar-Jar Binks feeling from those clips..." and a woman stated "I'd rather stab my eyes with needles than watch that."
Someone else said, "this cost $237 million...what if that money had been donated to [Australian charity event] the 40 hour famine?" This is despite the fact that they'd given positive press to G.I. Joe ($175 million + marketing) when two of its stars appeared on the show.
When the host said you could see the trailer from tomorrow on their website, the 'needles' panelist said, "well, I'm sure it will be brilliant."

Krev said:
On Friday, a show on air in Australia called The 7pm Project showed a very brief interview with James Cameron from Comic-Con and then played extracts from the trailer.
A man on the panel remarked "I don't know, I'm getting a Jar-Jar Binks feeling from those clips..." and a woman stated "I'd rather stab my eyes with needles than watch that."
Someone else said, "this cost $237 million...what if that money had been donated to [Australian charity event] the 40 hour famine?" This is despite the fact that they'd given positive press to G.I. Joe ($175 million + marketing) when two of its stars appeared on the show.
When the host said you could see the trailer from tomorrow on their website, the 'needles' panelist said, "well, I'm sure it will be brilliant."

Well that woman is also an actor on Neighbors so let's just ignore her opinion.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Scullibundo said:
Who the fuck watches the 7pm project except the same retarded demographic that watches a current affair and funniest home videos?
Good point. The show is bombing, fortunately. Still, not the kind of press Fox want right now.
I caught the Avatar video on their site after someone pointed it out to me (just so I'm not confused for a watcher of The 7PM Project).

Busty

Banned
stuburns said:
I hadn't even heard of the Twilight sequel.

*raises eyebrow*

I haven't seen the first Twilight film. I haven't even seen a trailer for the second film but I know it's coming.

Hell, talk to any girl under 30 and you'll know the film is on it's way.

stuburns said:
We don't know the marketing campaign, they left it really late in the game. Most films have serious marketing a year in advance, they're doing it in four months. A week into the marketing campaign of any film is barely going to compare to the exposure Avatar has..

The trailer reveal didn't do very well at all.

Avatar Day (which I personally enjoyed) was a mixed bag. It certainly got the message across and did a better job of selling the film than the trailer but it still wasn't enough.

Every screening of the footage on Avatar Day wasn't sold out. That is a major fuck up. A really, really major one.

Let's be clear here. Something has gone very, very wrong with the marketing of this film somewhere along the line. Personaly I think it's a combination of James Cameron's near impossible standards and the fact the studio isn't sure what to do with the film in terms of marketing.

I mean I was given the card of a Fox marketing executive at a screening and asked for 'detailed feedback'. And this is a film that is out in December.

stuburns said:
Just because GAF doesn't like it, really doesn't mean that much. People discussing the quality of the CG is not happening everywhere. This is a tech savvy forum. Outside here, people don't know how good it is. It looks amazing, but just because it's not the most amazing CG ever, it's automatically a mess to some people.

I agree. I'm personally looking forward to the film and people forget that GAF (and many big websites) tend to be a microcosm not really giving an accurate reflection on the 'real world'.

But there is no doubting that (again in my experience) people aren't just unaware of the film, (even worse) they aren't very excited by it.

stuburns said:
Avatar is going to massive. Not Titanic massive of course, and Fox are well aware of that. But it will do what the funding wanted, get people in the cinema and push 3D adaption so making the cinema more attractive.

I certainly don't think it's going to flop. But at this point it really doesn't feel like it's going to be giving Transformers 2 any sleepless nights as the year's biggest (North American) grosser.

But, as ever, we shall see.

gerg

I'm not quite sure I understand the hype here. Maybe it's because I couldn't see the trailer in 3D on a large cinema screen (Apple Trailers for me), but it just seemed like more sci-fi fare. Sure, the CGI looked great, but the fact that there's so much CGI (coupled with the fact that I know there's so much CGI) just places a barrier to my immersion with the film. There's a big giant tree with tons of airships flying about. So what? It's a film. That's nothing mind-blowing. The design of the aliens certainly doesn't help.

I guess it's just hard to understand all the rave reception to cinema showings when the experience itself is so hard to translate away from the cinema. Alas, I wait until December.

gerg said:
I'm not quite sure I understand the hype here. Maybe it's because I couldn't see the trailer in 3D on a large cinema screen (Apple Trailers for me), but it just seemed like more sci-fi fare. Sure, the CGI looked great, but the fact that there's so much CGI (coupled with the fact that I know there's so much CGI) just places a barrier to my immersion with the film. There's a big giant tree with tons of airships flying about. So what? It's a film. That's nothing mind-blowing. The design of the aliens certainly doesn't help.

I guess it's just hard to understand all the rave reception to cinema showings when the experience itself is so hard to translate away from the cinema. Alas, I wait until December.

Seriously. Cameron needs to step up his fucking game and grow those trees for real. Then start a real war with lots of casualties. You want to immerse me Cameron? Invade my fucking city with those airships. Want to make me care? Exploit my home and kill my family. Until he does that, all this is is a film. And nothing more. I mean really. A film is a film is a film. Why even bother making a film thats a film? There are plenty of films that are films. And I know they're films. The real trick is to not make a film and not let me know its not a film.

Cheebs

Busty what do you think come December will gross more:
Sherlock Holmes or Avatar?

Part of me thinks it will be Holmes, Downey Jr. in a pg-13 comedy-action blockbuster just seems like something that has way wider appeal than a Cameron movie about cgi blue aliens.

More people know and like Downey Jr. than Cameron, that is for sure at the very least. We can all agree his star power being a lot higher than Cameron for the general public.

But I am far from willing to say anything definitive about which will do more.

Busty

Banned
Scullibundo said:
Seriously. Cameron needs to step up his fucking game and grow those trees for real. Then start a real war with lots of casualties. You want to immerse me Cameron? Invade my fucking city with those airships. Want to make me care? Exploit my home and kill my family. Until he does that, all this is is a film. And nothing more. I mean really. A film is a film is a film. Why even bother making a film thats a film? There are plenty of films that are films. And I know they're films. The real trick is to not make a film and not let me know its not a film.

Take it down a notch son, you're embarrassing yourself.

gerg

Scullibundo said:
Seriously. Cameron needs to step up his fucking game and grow those trees for real. Then start a real war with lots of casualties. You want to immerse me Cameron? Invade my fucking city with those airships? Want to make me care? Exploit my home and kill my family.

That's not my point. I'm not denying that CGI may be the only way to achieve what Cameron wants to achieve, but that I, at least, am no longer at the point where the spectacle alone astonishes me. My problem is that Cameron has given me no reason to care about the spectacle apart from pushing it in front of me and shouting "Look! Be amazed!". I agree that this may derive from the simple limitations of watching something in a small window on a home computer, but nevertheless, it seems that the supposed majesty of this film lies in vague, hard-to-grasp concepts. (The word I'm looking for at the moment escapes me.)

Salazar

That 2012 viral trailer trailer with the Tibetan monastery getting busted fell so incredibly flat in 'Inglourious Basterds' today. The audience was, I guess, largely composed of older folks, and the injunction to 'check it out on the internet' just went nowhere at all. It was 'fuck you - show me something or fuck off'. Not that it matters for the film, but it was interesting.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Cheebs said:

Part of me thinks it will be Holmes, Downey Jr. in a pg-13 comedy-action blockbuster just seems like something that has way wider appeal than a Cameron movie about cgi blue aliens.

More people know and like Downey Jr. than Cameron, that is for sure at the very least. We can all agree his star power being a lot higher than Cameron for the general public.

I think Holmes won't reach #1 the week it's released. Avatar will have a lot of buzz as a result of the positive word of mouth about how much of a spectacle it is on the big screen in 3D, so it could potentially have a second week equal to or stronger than its first.

Bit-Bit

Like I said earlier. I've seen the trailer in 3d and it still doesn't do it justice. The footage cut was just too fast for anyone to get a grasp on the cg and or 3d.

What they need to do is show the full footage of Jake waking up for the first time as an AVATAR. Since I believe that scene alone has everything they need to show off their tech. The 3d is very well done and the cg is absolutely amazing since we get to see Jakes face emote and him discovering his new body.

PS. This scene is cut very fast in the trailer so I don't think I need to spoiler this.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Salazar said:
That 2012 viral trailer trailer with the Tibetan monastery getting busted fell so incredibly flat in 'Inglourious Basterds' today. The audience was, I guess, largely composed of older folks, and the injunction to 'check it out on the internet' just went nowhere at all. It was 'fuck you - show me something or fuck off'. Not that it matters for the film, but it was interesting.
And how did they react to Avatar?

Krev said:
I think Holmes won't reach #1 the week it's released. Avatar will have a lot of buzz as a result of the positive word of mouth about how much of a spectacle it is on the big screen in 3D, so it could potentially have a second week equal to or stronger than its first.

I don't know about it beating Holmes in Holmes' opening week. But I think it will beat out Holmes in Holmes' second week and have longer legs. The fact that IMAX has AVATAR playing exclusively over a 3 month period should not be taken lightly.

Salazar

No trailer for Avatar; just 'Funny People', 'Pelham 123', and that bogus Vince Vaughn comedy.

Australian cinema - not sure how much effort they'll put into advertising it here.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Salazar said:
No trailer for Avatar; just 'Funny People', 'Pelham 123', and that bogus Vince Vaughn comedy.

Australian cinema - not sure how much effort they'll put into advertising it here.
I don't think the trailer has been passed by the censorship board down here yet.

Busty

Banned
Cheebs said:

That's a good question.

Ummmm, I'd say that Sherlock Holmes has the potential (as most big fall films do) to make alot of money in a short period of time. I can see it making the majority of it's money in the first two/two and a half weeks.

The trailer plays really well, RDJ as Holmes is just money in the bank but is it a film that's going to bring in the whole family? Will kids want to see it? The trailer has a Pirates Of The Carribean feel but I'm not so sure.

I've read an early draft of the script for Holmes and really enjoyed it so I think as a film it will work.

I have a feeling that Avatar will have a solid but not record smashing run in '2D' cinemas but then play solidly in 3D and Imax screens through to March or April.

If I had to choose one I'd pick........

Avatar.....just because I really can see this playing in IMAX for months and months. And then I'd say Emmerich's 2012 will do Land Of The Lost level of business (shite) and the Twilight sequel will be the Fall's biggest film. :(

Cheebs

I forgot about New Moon. If that outgrosses Avatar this thread (or whatever will be the main Avatar thread by then) will be one of the most entertaining things this board has ever seen.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
New Moon looks like it'll definitely cash in (tweens and all). Avatar looks awesome, and I'm sure most of us will like it. I just hope it does well, to warrant more films that use the technology.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Busty said:
Avatar.....just because I really can see this playing in IMAX for months and months. And then I'd say Emmerich's 2012 will do Land Of The Lost level of business (shite) and the Twilight sequel will be the Fall's biggest film. :(

2012 is going to bomb, hard. People are sick of Emmerich's shit, and I think the general public want optimistic, fun adventure popcorn right now, and not doom-and-gloom. I could be wrong, but that's just my reading of the zeitgeist.

New Moon won't outgross Avatar. Twilight made less than $200 million. Unless Avatar only does Star Trek numbers, it will beat New Moon.

Cheebs said:
I forgot about New Moon. If that outgrosses Avatar this thread (or whatever will be the main Avatar thread by then) will be one of the most entertaining things this board has ever seen.

Rabid geeks vs. mad population of mostly female sparklers. FITE!

Here is a better question. If AVATAR does the right numbers for FOX. I'm talking a fair deal north of $300million at theatres, what are the chances FOX will let Cameron have an R-rated Battle Angel? Especially in the wake of what was seen to be a massively underperforming Watchmen. Different content, but FOX only looks at the facts.

Veidt

I hope it happens. JC Battle Angel, sounds awesome. But I also hope it doesn't take another 5 years to make.

Cheebs

Scullibundo said:
Here is a better question. If AVATAR does the right numbers for FOX. I'm talking a fair deal north of $300million at theatres, what are the chances FOX will let Cameron have an R-rated Battle Angel? Especially in the wake of what was seen to be a massively underperforming Watchmen. Different content, but FOX only looks at the facts.
Does he still want to do that as his next film?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Scullibundo said:
Do you mean north of $300 million in the US?
If so, moderate to low. They'd want it to be PG-13. It would probably be a pretty hard PG-13, though.
If Avatar does really well, then yeah, I could see it happening. Does Cameron want to do another R rated film or is he aiming for mass appeal at this stage?

Cheebs said:
At Comic-Con he said he was still interested.

Ardorx said:
So was all the jungle stuff in the trailer completely CGI?
Yes.

Busty

Banned
Krev said:
2012 is going to bomb, hard. People are sick of Emmerich's shit, and I think the general public want optimistic, fun adventure popcorn right now, and not doom-and-gloom. I could be wrong, but that's just my reading of the zeitgeist.

I'd agree with that. I don't see 2012 doing any major business. People already feel like the World is coming to an end they don't want to watch it for two hours.

There is nothing about that film bar some money shots in the trailer that make that film remotely appealing.

Krev said:
New Moon won't outgross Avatar. Twilight made less than $200 million. Unless Avatar only does Star Trek numbers, it will beat New Moon.

The female audience is tough to read but Twilight did great business on DVD and I think that as more women start reading the books it's expanding the fan base.

Out of curiousity Krev how much do you think Avatar will make in the US by the end of it's run?

Nobody knows if he still wants to do that as his next film. We know he's done at least 9 months of preproduction of work on the film with many artists and designers - some of whom also worked on AVATAR. However, that was before production started on AVATAR, so quite some time ago.

As for whether he would do it as an R-rated flick? I believe so. I believe that the Cameron that likes blood is still in the man. I remember when asked about AVATAR ages ago, he said it will pass as PG13 because their blood is blue.

Busty

Banned
Cheebs said:

I think he may yet surprise people and starting talking again about directing....

the remake of Forbidden Planet

That's a project he's been circling for as long as Avatar has been knocking around.

I really don't think he will move toward Forbidden Planet. If its not a big release though, he will most likely shoot The Dive. I'd say its out of that and Battle Angel. I just hope we get Battle Angel before we get AVATAR 2.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Busty said:
I'd agree with that. I don't see 2012 doing any major business. People already feel like the World is coming to an end they don't want to watch it for two hours.

There is nothing about that film bar some money shots in the trailer that make that film remotely appealing.
Agree with all of that. Plus, I think after The Day After Tomorrow audiences won't feel that 2012 even offers anything they haven't seen before.

Busty said:
Out of curiousity Krev how much do you think Avatar will make in the US by the end of it's run?
This is very hard to answer, because I can still sort of see the worst case scenario panning out and Avatar being a disaster.
I don't think that will happen, though. There are no other wide releases the weekend it comes out, so even if the movie is on course for failure, the lack of competition coupled with the curiosity factor should see it to a solid, though unspectacular opening. Maybe it will be huge from week one, but I think it will do I Am Legend numbers ($80 million, current December record holder) at the very best. In the weeks to come, it should drop off very little. Based on how people are reacting to a 15 minute preview alone, the word of mouth for this should be rather spectacular, especially as much of it will be about how this is a theatrical experience that can't be replicated in the home.
December 25 is just too damn busy. It's Complicated will grab the older female audience that could potentially have gone to Sherlock Holmes. A lot of kids will go to Alvin. The demographic that could go for Sherlock may well check out Avatar if they haven't already, because of the positive reports. Avatar may well sneak in a #1 performance again.
From then on, it's smooth sailing. If it gets beaten by something else that week, it will return to the top spot for its third week. January looks, as usual, like a complete joke, so it could well stay at the top through the entire month. If Sherlock turns out to be a breakout success, Avatar will stay at #2 for a good while.
I suspect that Avatar's appeal is a lot broader than a lot of people are assuming, and it could very easily do nicely for a very long time. All in all, I think it will break $400 million. If Fox handle this right and it really does stay in IMAX and 3D cinemas for months and months, it could reach $500 million.

Veidt

Ardorx said:
I say Avatar makes 2 billion dollars.

Well then that was pretty impressive. How much of this film is actual sets? 30%?

I believe only and partially, when they're indoors/inside ships.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Scullibundo said:
As for whether he would do it as an R-rated flick? I believe so. I believe that the Cameron that likes blood is still in the man. I remember when asked about AVATAR ages ago, he said it will pass as PG13 because their blood is blue.

You're probably right. In an interview on Good Day LA from Friday, he said that he was trying to walk a fine line with Avatar because he wanted to appeal to a broad audience, but at the same time there's a side of him that wants things to be more intense and violent, as we saw in the rest of his oeuvre.

Jibril said:
I believe only and partially, when they're indoors/inside ships.

And mechs! Don't forget the live-scale mechs they made. I actually read a long time ago during production that WETA had made a to-scale carrier ship. Which sounds insane and perhaps was speaking interiors specifically.

Busty

Banned
Krev said:
....January looks, as usual, like a complete joke, so it could well stay at the top through the entire month.

WOT!

Book Of Eli.

January 15, 2010.

S'up Gary.

:D

...actually I've had the script for Book Of Eli for months but I think I'll wait for it to be released before reading. Maybe.

So I never really followed this project, but why are those men in those alien bodies. And the Avatars are just teh name of the race of aliens no?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
But there's the thing. Book of Eli is probably the highest profile film being released that month, and it doesn't have very broad appeal. If Fox (or word of mouth) get the ball rolling properly, it won't put much of a dent in the Avatar juggernaut. Neither will Legion, which is released the following week and will be competing for the same audience as Book of Eli. The trailer was pretty fun, but that's just because it spoils an entire terrible looking movie in the space of 5 minutes.
But anyway, that's getting beside the point. It's clear that the studios are vary wary of Avatar, from the fact that that December 18 is the only week of the year with no other wide release, and the way that January is totally bare, even by January standards. Avatar and the 3D experience it offers stand to give it really strong legs.

Mr. Durden said:
So I never really followed this project, but why are those men in those alien bodies. And the Avatars are just teh name of the race of aliens no?
The Avatar is the alien body which the humans control. The alien race are the Na'vi. The humans are controlling Avatars because they can't breathe on the alien planet, Pandora.

And this is why that teaser is a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom