• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoichi Wada: Final Fantasy Versus XIII not cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubercheez

Serious question why does gaf have such a hard on for hd towns although you barely spend any time in them in any ff game? Not counting "bases" FFX was pretty well received it being a lot of peoples favorite FF game yet it really didn't have "towns"

I'm not sure what you mean by bases as opposed to towns, but I don't see how you couldn't count at least Besaid, Luca, and Guadosalam as full-fledged towns.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm not sure what you mean by bases as opposed to towns, but I don't see how you couldn't count at least Besaid, Luca, and Guadosalam as full-fledged towns.

I'm asking what was the big deal about them and how did they improve the game is all. I mean sure it helps build the world a bit, but most of the time you get stuck with a hub of npcs that repeat the same thing over and over again. Although I'll admit I liked the cities in ff12 as that game had a grand adventure feel to it so it felt like breather moments

I'm asking what was the big deal about them and how did they improve the game is all. I mean sure it helps build the world a bit, but most of the time you get stuck with a hub of npcs that repeat the same thing over and over again. Although I'll admit I liked the cities in ff12 as that game had a grand adventure feel to it so it felt like breather moments

I think it's more about breaking up the monotony of battle. All games are repetitive in one way or another, but RPGs are expected to have variety. In FFXIII, it was a constant shift between story and battle. I loved the game, but I can definitely see why some people would find that tedious.

Personally, I don't care too much for "towns," but they certainly seem to help with the pacing. In FFXIII, in the period between Ch. 7 & 8 where you arrive on the airship it's a much needed opportunity for a breather as well as an opportunity to reflect on the past, anticipate the future, and discuss plans. It would have been nice to truly explore that airship.

One thing I miss from the older FF games is where the characters sit down and take the time to talk about the plot. What's going on in the world, what their goals are, etc. Now that we don't have text boxes anymore, suddenly any attempt at a lengthier portion devoted to the story would probably be demonized though.

LuuKyK

tumblr_lj1go6fpeW1qzaqk3o1_250.gif

OMG!

I am so happy right now.

I can't deal with this announcement. Bless you based Wada, even if I hate you. And Nomura show us this goddamn city you bastard.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Everyone really seems to have put all their hopes onto Versus. If this game doesn't turn out amazing this could turn out very poorly indeed....

patsu

Everyone really seems to have put all their hopes onto Versus. If this game doesn't turn out amazing this could turn out very poorly indeed....

Hm ? I never put any hope in Versus or any game. I just think SE should release it after working on it for so long.

I think Sony typically rely on the entire library to sell PS3 anyway.

diamount

Banned
All depends on who you know I suppose. And what you decide to share.

Sorry, Kagari but as a new member here could you tell me what you do and what is your relationship with SE? I've seen a few members with a red username but cannot seem to find any info on it.

Arxisz

oh wow... this coming from Wada makes me get all kinds of hope that they will show the game very soon. to think I almost lost all hope of it ever coming out...phew.

Wada Ignites the flame again. after the game is released they should put out a documentary titled: "Road to Final Fantasy Versus XIII Release".

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sorry, Kagari but as a new member here could you tell me what you do and what is your relationship with SE? I've seen a few members with a red username but cannot seem to find any info on it.

Red = Mod/Admins

Kagari runs a fan site if I remember right

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wada Ignites the flame again. after the game is released they should put out a documentary titled: "Road to Final Fantasy Versus XIII Release".
I'm mostly looking forward to the postmortem article in any case. FFXIII's postmortem article in Game Developer was an interesting read.

I'm mostly looking forward to the postmortem article in any case. FFXIII's postmortem article in Game Developer was an interesting read.

ooooo I want to read that. Got a link? Or is game developer a mag?

edit: I found this link to an old thread summarizing some of the article.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409841

Thank you! That was a good read

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Type-0 and TWEWY restored my faith in Square. I will survive even if Versus isn't good.
But TWEWY came before all of this doom and gloom and shitty Square era!
After FFXIII I think people are just expecting this game to be compotent.
A low bar to pass
Hm ? I never put any hope in Versus or any game. I just think SE should release it after working on it for so long.

I think Sony typically rely on the entire library to sell PS3 anyway.

I never said anything about Sony or the PS3?

Reisläufer

Neo Member
Psst, someone spread a rumour about Persona 5 being worked on and then cancelled.

Imagine Versus, the next Persona, Last Guardian, Dragon's Crown and maybe Kojima's new game all releasing in 2013, this would truly make it the year of the PS3
for me. A man can dream :(

All this "drama" has reminded me how much I'm looking forward to this game.

A Final Fantasy starring a group of fancy male models? Yes please.

Xater

So if it is not cancelled when the fuck are going to release it. I mean new consoles are around the corner.

mclem

"It seems someone is spreading a false rumor about Versus being canceled. Heh, just a few moments ago a regularly scheduled meeting for Versus ended. If you were to see the city etc. presented today, you wouldn't be able to stand from surprise, lol."

It has an HD town? No wonder it's taking so long.

Serious question why does gaf have such a hard on for hd towns although you barely spend any time in them in any ff game? Not counting "bases" FFX was pretty well received it being a lot of peoples favorite FF game yet it really didn't have "towns"
So you been to every gaffers house and see them play jrpgs? I need to see if any of my stuff is stolen.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Besaid, Kilika, Luca, and Guadosalam are obviously towns. You can shop, ransack homes, and go inside houses.

FFXIII wasn't sucky because of the lack of towns only, but rather the content and story execution. All you do in this game are just watch cutscenes and fight. The story is convoluted as hell and the actual mythology is far more interesting than the melodrama that was happening because the rest of the important readings have been dumped to the datalog. I remember reading a post detailing the FNC mythology followed by how FFXIII's story links to it. It was good, very good, in my opinion but the execution of the story in this game was not good, and we can blame it on the scenario writer/designers: Toriyama and Watanabe (together they were also involved in writing Dissidia's story).

Do note that the FNC concept and mythologies were done by Nojima. I like Nojima's work though.

DXPett1

At this point its all talk until I see some god damn original & official GAMEPLAY vision Wada, just like those leaks of MGS5 weren't real Kojima

Maybe if people didn't hold SE under utter contempt this generation more people would have brushed this rumour off like any reasonable spectator.

The world is full of pessimists though, and SE can do no right it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom