• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You May Lose the License to Play DRM Protected Games Tied to an Account if You Breach the Agreed ToS for That Service, Includes "Offensive Language".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member
If we could all make an effort to not insult each other while debating acceptable insults that would be great, albeit slightly less contextually amusing.

Dunki

Can we call each other cunts?
I think you just do not understand the discussion we are having. No we can not call eachother cunts because it is still an insult in the most cases. Idiot is also an insult. stupid would be an insult and so on.....

The discussion we were having was about the weight of this word and this is still subjective. I remember reading an article how people should not use the word idiot anymore because it is highly offensive

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

I think you just do not understand the discussion we are having. No we can not call eachother cunts because it is still an insult in the most cases. Idiot is also an insult. stupid would be an insult and so on.....

Remember we spoke of comedic timing?..

Allandor

Easy rule for communicating with others:
"Respect other people"
if you don't respect that simple rule you get banned. Just like in this or any other forum that is moderated by respectful moderators ;)

I don't see the difference here.
If you personally insult someone in public you can't blame others if they sue you. Online-games/chat is the same as public. Problem here is the users are most times anonym, so there is no one to sue because of insults (at least not so easy).

But really common, we life in a time where some get "swatted" by others. This is really not funny. The internet-services really needs some regulations and people need to get again more respect for other people.

daibaron

Banned
I would love to get a job at "moderating" for ms, listening what they say or write privately, fiscalizing their actions searching for boob pics and stuff like that. Having in my hands the power to ban people and take their games and excel sheets unless they fast in penitence for their sins against humanity. That would give some meaning to my life and balance my underachievementes.

Toe-Knee

I'm totally with you on that topic.
E.g. that is why I don't use a headset for voice-chat or something like that. There is always somebody who's cursing the hell out of the chat ...

Exactly. It takes all the fun out of playing online.

Its especially bad for people with children in the household.

DryvBy

"Respect other people"
if you don't respect that simple rule you get banned. Just like in this or any other forum that is moderated by respectful moderators ;)

If you personally insult someone in public you can't blame others if they sue you. Online-games/chat is the same as public. Problem here is the users are most times anonym, so there is no one to sue because of insults (at least not so easy).

But really common, we life in a time where some get "swatted" by others. This is really not funny. The internet-services really needs some regulations and people need to get again more respect for other people.

People insult people all the time in public. That's a stupid lawsuit if it's even something that happens.

Blam

What if I was swearing to a bunch of my friends? Am I now at risk of being banned because of banter?

Crew 511A

This is going to be the death of Xbox Live. I'm sure people will start to jump ship, maybe going back to PC games and stick to TeamSpeak for better experience.

Microsoft has been doing this for years. Their forums were always full of people whining they'd been perma banned "for no reason."

As someone who has small kids who play online, I welcome this.

Mahadev

"Respect other people"

Haha, you think it's normal for someone to be sued because he insulted people in public? Have you guys been out in the real world, it's a lot tougher than internet has become nowadays in most social media platforms. Plus, you know, people are actually allowed to jokingly talk shit to each other for fun something that is starting being banned by these increasingly humorless assholes. How will Microsoft and its soon to arrive AI bots that will scan our discussions know that I'm talking shit to my friend and not being "offensive" to other players? Who will protect me from a corporation stealing my fucking games? The fact that there are people here who care about their apparently very delicate feelings more than corporations stealing your property because they didn't like what you said is both depressing and enraging to me.

For me btw this was the last straw, I'm done with Microsoft once and for all.

Blam

TBH it's not the bad game library, it's not the smaller catalog. It's this them trying to control everything all aspects they can. Like Microsoft miss me with that Hitler Dictatorship. Like come on Microsoft stop trying to change the appeal. It's appealing to people because of how it is not because of your stupid changes to the system that already works. These changes are going to drive people away not bring people in. People want to talk freely. Remember when the ESRB said online gaming is unrated since they can't monitor it, and wouldn't. Lets not change that hmm?

Last edited:

WaterAstro

I believe that context is key. Many would claim that terms such as "nigga" are hatespeech, yet there are some who call each other this in jest during private conversations, but would never openly say this because they know it is wrong and offensive. The context here being a private conversation between two friends. So, what is stopping someone from Microsoft from failing to understand the context between the two and removing access to their accounts if some third party were to report one of them for any number of inane reasons (not being good at a game, failing to help a teammate, just to be dicks, etc)?
The question again what is hate speech? racist language or even worse sexist language? Who is defining this? These terms are so subjective and vague that I had trouble to determine which is which.

If we get a swear catalog with all the forbidden words yeah ok. Even If I would argue against some words then you have a clear definition of this so called hateful language. But even this is impossible since language and the context of it evolves all the time. hell I once heard that the term ninja is racist against black people which is insane to me.

Also . if these words are forbidden trolls will use other means to offend they will change the context of different words. like for example the GG is not used by people to annoy the other one.
For me, it comes down to whether the language is directed at someone. If a player is grouped up with random people, in terms of behavior, it must be assumed everyone is easily offended. If the player starts spouting racist words against blacks randomly, and one of the members is black, then it will be bannable if the black person finds it offensive and reports it. If it's among friends, hopefully the friend won't report it. It's better to err on the side of good behavior because it's better safe than sorry.

Regginator

When I hear "offensive", I hear race-related or hate speech. If that's the case, I'm okay with this measure. But if Microsoft's definition of offensive is just good ol' profanity, then fuck that shit.

What is hate speech? What's extreme? What's harassment?
You're a bright boy, figure it out. Just like you figured out what not to do here since your account is still active.

I have no time for those who try and gloss everything into free speech while they try and margarinalize harassment and racism.

Because I don't trust people to be fair or reasonable by my standards, and especially not the type of person likely to have that sort of job in the first place. If you could say, "alright, Dave Chapelle is gonna be moderating from now on, and if he decides to, he can ban you from this service," then I'd at least be willing to entertain the idea, but when you say "actual people" (aka the average humorless no-fun-allowed people) are going to check for offensive behaviour, I say hell no.

You expect going to see a comic that he or she will touch on certain subjects. Chappelle is not going to follow me out to the parking lot yelling and harassing me after the show. It is also the stadium or forums policy to protect its customers. If another person is there harassing somebody security will kick them out. You want to protect your customers and to be frank some online players should be banned.

The argument is what we as a society expect to be tolerable and what isn't. This gray area could be a problem for sure but some behaviour cannot be defended. You know it and I know it.

Why is common sense not so common?

ilfait

You're a bright boy, figure it out. Just like you figured out what not to do here since your account is still active.

I have no time for those who try and gloss everything into free speech while they try and margarinalize harassment and racism.
Oh, I can figure it out just fine. How to be a good little boy and never run afoul of anyone, no matter how gloriously PC and perpetually offended the people around you may be, is not a mystery. But do you think that's what everyone strives to be and some just fail at it? Do you think that everyone is happy to work and play and live in that state? I try to say what I want to say, and I admire other people who do the same. I don't admire, or even respect (something that an earlier poster said we must give everyone, regardless of whether we've decided they're worthy of it) people who act and speak in a certain way in order to avoid a spanking. Whenever I do that myself I feel ashamed. Deservedly ashamed.

I know for a fact that there's no consensus on what constitutes racism and harassment, and it's not just because I've got some crazy conception of it. There's constant disagreement about it everywhere. Go to any forum (the ones where people are actually allowed an opinion anyway) and you'll see disagreements about it, go to youtube, go to twitter; people don't agree.

Mahadev

You expect going to see a comic that he or she will touch on certain subjects. Chappelle is not going to follow me out to the parking lot yelling and harassing me after the show. It is also the stadium or forums policy to protect its customers. If another person is there harassing somebody security will kick them out. You want to protect your customers and to be frank some online players should be banned.

The argument is what we as a society expect to be tolerable and what isn't. This gray area could be a problem for sure but some behaviour cannot be defended. You know it and I know it.

Not only you completely missed his point but you also didn't even make a proper argument. His point is that he doesn't trust pretentious assholes that usually do these jobs to censor because these are the people who usually find everything offensive, he'd trust someone like Dave Cappelle because he seems like a rational and intelligent individual but it's quite obvious from our experience the last few years that is not the kind of person that does this job.

Grinchy

Banned
What if I was swearing to a bunch of my friends? Am I now at risk of being banned because of banter?
What’s interesting about that one was I was doing that in Sea of Thieves recently because I didn’t realize that party chat and proximity chat were turned on at the same time. I said I would fuck up this moron’s boat and suddenly a random voice chimes in asking why I would do that to him. I guess that could have been the end of my PowerPoint usage.

Zannegan

As with the Ubisoft Rainbow 6 bans, I'm fine with companies trying to make their voice chat environments more welcoming/appealing to a wider audience. How many times have we heard people lament the fact that everyone is in private chat or that no one uses mics anymore? Maybe enforcing a little civility in chat will give public chat a shot in the arm. Or maybe not. Whatever language he uses, that one guy who elects himself team captain and whines at everyone else for not supporting him is always going to get on my nerves. Lol. Whether it works or not, it's their service so they should feel free to try. I just wish they'd be smart about it.

My problem with both MS and Ubisoft's approaches to monitoring chat is one of reach. Let the punishment fit the crime. If someone is using public voice chat in a way that a company thinks might drive away other users--be it through profanity, hate speech, excessive "helpful advice," or just leaving their crappy music on in the background--then the company should absolutely be able to (temporarily) ban them from (public) communication. But there's no reason to cut them off from the service altogether, and players absolutely should not lose access to their games. I don't care what you're saying, that's way over the top, and it doesn't really address the problem.

Microsoft also should not be autobanning in private chat. Folks can report a private chat if they feel offended, or, better yet, block the offending party and move on.

ilfait

There's certain behaviour that you might praise as being progressive that I'd find as repulsive as you would find some other behaviour that you might call toxic and bannable, yet to me is fine or even worthy of praise. Some behaviour is more contentious than others, of course; rape is something you'd find very few people defending. But there's a lot of behaviour that some people lately have deemed abhorrent--mainly speech and creative work--that is extremely contentious even though one side would like you to believe that to rid ourselves of it, and the methods we use to rid ourselves of it, is just common sense, and in cases like that, and with people like that, I rarely agree.

Last edited:

Cranberrys

Haha, you think it's normal for someone to be sued because he insulted people in public? Have you guys been out in the real world, it's a lot tougher than internet has become nowadays in most social media platforms. Plus, you know, people are actually allowed to jokingly talk shit to each other for fun something that is starting being banned by these increasingly humorless assholes. How will Microsoft and its soon to arrive AI bots that will scan our discussions know that I'm talking shit to my friend and not being "offensive" to other players? Who will protect me from a corporation stealing my fucking games? The fact that there are people here who care about their apparently very delicate feelings more than corporations stealing your property because they didn't like what you said is both depressing and enraging to me.

Talking trash to your friends is one thing, talking trash to strangers is another. I also talk trash to my friends but we are friends, we know each other, we have a bond beyond video games and that's all the difference in the world. It's pretty obvious that Microsoft aren't gonna ban someone of his entire game Library just because he is trashing someone in his friendlist in a private party or game.

And in real life, nobody insulted me the way it happened to me in random online lobbies. Not once.

So it doesn't feel right to me, not to be able to fully enjoy a service that I pay for by working, just because a bunch of thirteen years old whose subcriptions are paid by they're parents are on full rampage for whatever reason or by some frustrated adults with serious issues. If parents are not able to educate their children and if adults aren't aware that insulting someone is absolutely not OK then it is up to Microsoft to do so.

Because you know what ? It's basic behavior. People don't need to be intelligent to know that. They don't have to be fully educated or be a nuclear physicist or have access to some form of higher knowledge to know that insulting someone with no reason and no provocation is wrong. I'm aware of that since I was a kid.

ilfait

Talking trash to your friends is one thing, talking trash to strangers is another. I also talk trash to my friends but we are friends, we know each other, we have a bond beyond video games and that's all the difference in the world. It's pretty obvious that Microsoft aren't gonna ban someone of his entire game Library just because he is trashing someone in his friendlist in a private party or game.

And in real life, nobody insulted me the way it happened to me in random online lobbies. Not once.

So it doesn't feel right to me, not to be able to fully enjoy a service that I pay for by working, just because a bunch of thirteen years old whose subcriptions are paid by they're parents are on full rampage for whatever reason or by some frustrated adults with serious issues. If parents are not able to educate their children and if adults aren't aware that insulting someone is absolutely not OK then it is up to Microsoft to do so.

Because you know what ? It's basic behavior. People don't need to be intelligent to know that. They don't have to be fully educated or be a nuclear physicist or have access to some form of higher knowledge to know that insulting someone with no reason and no provocation is wrong. I'm aware of that since I was a kid.
This is not explicitly a defense of online rudeboy culture or an attack on the policies of companies, but just some thoughts on insults.

I like insulting people, I like it when other people insult people, I often even like it when people insult me. When it's funny or original or particularly biting, or it backfires, I might especially like it. I also like to defend people, and people like to defend me.

Deep conversations can be fun and stimulating, affection and comradery can be fun and stimulating, love is the best thing in the world (and damn stimulating), and even heartbreak can be both painful and great, fighting can be fun and stimulating, insults and hostility can be fun and stimulating. Now that I'm an adult, and all of my social interraction has generally become so much more safe and structured, and contrived, I've felt a side of myself, a kind of sharpness and liveliness and humor, fade, and I miss it. In some ways I was better when I was a kid. I think a lot of us were. And a part of me that was better then is thanks to the wild (by western suburban standards anyway) environment, where people (kids, teenagers) were often a lot more liberal with what they said and how they acted. I think we try to control ourselves and each other too much when we grow up, I think sometimes we overvalue politeness and comfort, and the PC mania now is making it even worse.

A lot of people complain about the anonymity of the internet and the relative lack of repercussions as though it's just a bad thing, but it's not only bad. And the best times I've ever had with people online were times when we were saying whatever we wanted like kids.

Last edited:

goldenpp72

This is not explicitly a defense of online rudeboy culture or an attack on the policies of companies, but just some thoughts on insults.

I like insulting people, I like it when other people insult people, I often even like it when people insult me. When it's funny or original or particularly biting, or it backfires, I might especially like it. I also like to defend people, and people like to defend me.

Deep conversations can be fun and stimulating, affection and comradery can be fun and stimulating, love is the best thing in the world (and damn stimulating), and even heartbreak can be both painful and great, fighting can be fun and stimulating, insults and hostility can be fun and stimulating. Now that I'm an adult, and all of my social interraction has generally become so much more safe and structured, and contrived, I've felt a side of myself, a kind of sharpness and liveliness and humor, fade, and I miss it. In some ways I was better when I was a kid. I think a lot of us were. And a part of me that was better then is thanks to the wild (by western suburban standards anyway) environment, where people (kids, teenagers) were often a lot more liberal with what they said and how they acted. I think we try to control ourselves and each other too much when we grow up, I think sometimes we overvalue politeness and comfort, and the PC mania now is making it even worse.

A lot of people complain about the anonymity of the internet and the relative lack of repercussions as though it's just a bad thing, but it's not only bad. And the best times I've ever had with people online were times when we were saying whatever we wanted like kids.

I say then the next alternative is to segregate people like yourself into their own match making pool so you can have a grand time calling each other names. Like anything, it's ok to do what you like until it causes a problem for others. People online are still people and should be treated with the same tact as others. 80 percent of the online 'trash talk' is hardly innocent fun for those who just want to play and be on a team. I'd personally not mind it if the trash talk was clever but that is hardly the case, always the lowest hanging fruit. Being in my 30's I simply have no patience dealing with man children or literal children tying to pretend their big kids now.

Last edited:

ilfait

I say then the next alternative is to segregate people like yourself into their own match making pool so you can have a grand time calling each other names. Like anything, it's ok to do what you like until it causes a problem for others. People online are still people and should be treated with the same tact as others. 80 percent of the online 'trash talk' is hardly innocent fun for those who just want to play and be on a team.
I think so too. I don't see any harm in having moderated and unmoderated matchmaking. I think there are people who wouldn't care either way, people who care very much in either direction, and people who would want to switch back and forth depending on their mood. As long as the userbase is big enough to support it, I don't immediately see a downside. It seems a lot better than policing and monitoring people who don't want to be policed and monitored.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
As someone who has small kids who play online, I welcome this.

Like I said to the previous person complaining about online game and his kids:

Yes the parent is the one to blame, you're responsible for your kid, you're responsible for all the media they interact with, it's choice to let your 10 year old watch a movie with sex scenes on it, it's your choice for your kids to watch violent television, it's your choice if your kid to play online games where there might be adult content. It's great that you play games with your kids, but I shouldn't refrain from swearing because you think that's not appropriate for your child (light example here).

goldenpp72

I think so too. I don't see any harm in having moderated and unmoderated matchmaking. I think there are people who wouldn't care either way, people who care very much in either direction, and people who would want to switch back and forth depending on their mood. As long as the userbase is big enough to support it, I don't immediately see a downside. It's seems a lot better than policing and monitoring people who don't want to be policed and monitored.

The downside will be when the trolls lose their perceived victims and instead end up fighting against themselves. If people aren't being offended or hurt then the point is lost on many of these people.

You can't go into a theater and talk on your phone, scream racial comments at me or otherwise disrupt why I'm there without repercussions. The theater has policies trying to ensure everyone has a pleasant viewing experience, which in my mind is the same thing as trying to play games online. I shouldn't have to prep verbal defenses because I want to play Halo. If people had to deal with this crap any other time they'd just leave which is bad for business. Trolls won't stop gaming because that can't troll, but people who just want to play in peace and can't likely will. People in this topic make me feel like they would be pissed if Target kicked out people who run screaming at other customers.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Like I said to the previous person complaining about online game and his kids:

Yes the parent is the one to blame, you're responsible for your kid, you're responsible for all the media they interact with, it's choice to let your 10 year old watch a movie with sex scenes on it, it's your choice for your kids to watch violent television, it's your choice if your kid to play online games where there might be adult content. It's great that you play games with your kids, but I shouldn't refrain from swearing because you think that's not appropriate for your child (light example here).

If you took your kids to the soft play area and they let in some dude that was sitting in the ball pit calling all the kids c*nts, would you blame yourself or the manager for not evicting him?

MS have a level of responsibility to keep their game, with a child rating on the side, child friendly.

Anyway it's all fake news now.

No, they dont ban for saying fuk off or asshole. If this was true then GTA Online would have lost their entire player base on Xbox by now and same goes for Cod lol.

I said "fuck off" online yesterday while playing Ghost Recon Wildlands on Xbox . Lol

Xbox bans you for saying racist words or giving death or rape threats nd all. You have to be a total asshole to get ban from there. You have to cross the line of human decency to get ban. So relax.

Cranberrys

Well, I totally understand what you're saying (and I agree with most of it) and yes I also miss my younger days.

It seems to me that you're describing something like a random encounter with someone and it turns out to be meaningful in your life like when I met this amazing girl and we talked just because she was sitting next to me on a plane and she turned out to be a very special person just because it was a precise moment in my life, when I was asking myself specific questions and there she was. So yeah, it was simple, direct, kind of magical and this was a 3 hours flight I will never forget and I never saw her again.

But the encounter at its core was civil, polite and because of that initial respect it lead us to a more profound moment, initial confidence in each other was established by simple laws of kind social behavior, and it's often not the case in random online gaming encounters nowadays. Sadly.

I'm not saying anonymity is bad, I met some pretty great people on gaming forums or online, it's just that I find it's more rare these days.

Makariel

Fake news folks

How disappointing, I was just getting myself into a rage filled rant about Microsoft equaling North Korea and then someone checks facts. Now I have to go back and write "fuck" 500 times in Microsoft Office, like I do every Tuesday.

Crew 511A

The downside will be when the trolls lose their perceived victims and instead end up fighting against themselves. If people aren't being offended or hurt then the point is lost on many of these people.

You can't go into a theater and talk on your phone, scream racial comments at me or otherwise disrupt why I'm there without repercussions. The theater has policies trying to ensure everyone has a pleasant viewing experience, which in my mind is the same thing as trying to play games online. I shouldn't have to prep verbal defenses because I want to play Halo. If people had to deal with this crap any other time they'd just leave which is bad for business. Trolls won't stop gaming because that can't troll, but people who just want to play in peace and can't likely will. People in this topic make me feel like they would be pissed if Target kicked out people who run screaming at other customers.

Oh, I sit with my kids while they play games. I can, and do mute people who scream obscenities. I'd just rather they not do it all.

The fact is, Microsoft has been doing this for years. It's well know they give people the perma ban hammer. They also give people plenty of warnings.

Not only you completely missed his point but you also didn't even make a proper argument. His point is that he doesn't trust pretentious assholes that usually do these jobs to censor because these are the people who usually find everything offensive, he'd trust someone like Dave Cappelle because he seems like a rational and intelligent individual but it's quite obvious from our experience the last few years that is not the kind of person that does this job.

It's many of you who miss the point because all I keep reading is censorship is the problem without any solutions. It's always easier to be the opposition than the one trying to fix the problem.

What many of you fail to acknowledge is it is their service and they can moderate it as they see fit. Twitter is trying to clamp down too because its become epidemic of how hostile these online trolls are.

So instead of agreeing that I'm right, security will kick you out of any public place if your harass people, you'd rather ignore it and put all the onus on the moderation team. All that does is enable the behaviour.

I hope its fake or ends up reversed. But the article talks about changes coming May 1, and the tweet is worded in the present tense. Time will tell.

Bro relax. You have to do some really nasty shit to get ban from Xbox live.

Gta online is full of such people and they never get ban.

iconmaster

Banned
Fake news folks

Well, no, not fake. It's a real announcement from Microsoft itself. And in the Summary of Changes, MS specifically call out new language around offensive speech.

1. In the Code of Conduct section, we’ve clarified that use of offensive language and fraudulent activity is prohibited. We’ve also clarified that violation of the Code of Conduct through Xbox Services may result in suspensions or bans from participation in Xbox Services, including forfeiture of content licenses, Xbox Gold Membership time, and Microsoft account balances associated with the account.

I suspect this is all CYA stuff, though -- MS letting you know they reserve the right to ban for pretty much whatever. I don't think we're about to see mass bans over four-letter words.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Didn't Google get in trouble for what I bolded?

Also, Microsoft already has banned people for threatening others.

I'm not sure, actually. I can't recall it, if that has happened. And yes, that only seems fair. I don't think there's anything new, per se, in this agreement. It's just updated wording, really. You were always gonna get in trouble if you behaved like a prick on XBL.

KINGMOKU

It would be interesting to see a challenge in court not over loss of use of Xbox live, but of the products you paid for. I don't think it would stand up in court.

It would also open a whole new can of worms as that judgement would also decide whether or not an individual owns the games they have downloaded the same way they own them physical copy.

I look forward to a court case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom