• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You May Lose the License to Play DRM Protected Games Tied to an Account if You Breach the Agreed ToS for That Service, Includes "Offensive Language".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin

Banned
The world literally is getting a shittier place to live in, rules are suffocating ya to death.
Act accordingly or how you might behave IRL?, the allure behind the internet is/was that you could be whoever you want to...it was a sort of freedom or place you could let go of stress.

Mahadev

Fake news folks

It's not fake news, he's using semantics bullshit to deny actual policy change. He's full of shit. It's the exact same obnoxious strategy they used when they tried to push for always-online, they blatantly lied using semantics until the very end.

It's many of you who miss the point because all I keep reading is censorship is the problem without any solutions. It's always easier to be the opposition than the one trying to fix the problem.

What many of you fail to acknowledge is it is their service and they can moderate it as they see fit. Twitter is trying to clamp down too because its become epidemic of how hostile these online trolls are.

So instead of agreeing that I'm right, security will kick you out of any public place if your harass people, you'd rather ignore it and put all the onus on the moderation team. All that does is enable the behaviour.

Many people offered solutions, you just ignored them. The best one imo is for people to block the players they don't like based on their own subjective criteria instead of expecting corporations to decide for you based on vague terms what should and shouldn't be allowed. The other solution is to force mute offending players, the last desperate solution would be to ban their accounts. But you're in a thread defending a corporation that wants to steal people's property with rules based on vague terminology no one can agree on.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Embrace your digital future and your digital games that can be taken away from you! Hahahaha I knew this would eventually happen.

Why you should always buy PHYSICAL when possible.

That said, I highly doubt MS would prevail in court over the eventual lawsuits coming their way when they start to do this.

MrBenchmark

It's not fake news, he's using semantics bullshit to deny actual policy change. He's full of shit.

Many people offered solutions, you just ignored them. The best one imo is for people to block the players they don't like based on their own subjective criteria instead of expecting corporations to decide for you based on vague terms what should and shouldn't be allowed. The other solution is to force mute offending players, the last solution would be to ban their accounts. But you're in a thread defending a corporation that wants to steal people's property with rules based on vague terminology no one can agree on.
Banning for fouls language on Xbox live has always been there if reported thru messages and voice chat since Xbox live began. As someone who was on the enforcement team this was always a thing and has never changed. You really have to do something offensive over and over and seriously messed up and get reported enough to warrant action against you.

Like Wil Wheaton said once have fun but don’t be a dick.

John Day

Just block them. Someone offends you? Block em, mute em, you have the options.

No one should lose their content paid legally because they said your mother was a whore. I don’t approve of this at all. Awful yes, tasteless, yess. But they legally paid money for their content. BLOCK THEM! MUTE!!

Mahadev

Banning for fouls language on Xbox live has always been there if reported thru messages and voice chat since Xbox live began. As someone who was on the enforcement team this was always a thing and has never changed. You really have to do something offensive over and over and seriously messed up and get reported enough to warrant action against you.

Like Wil Wheaton said once have fun but don’t be a dick.

How many times do I have to do something offensive? What is the specific number? What exactly is considered offensive? Which are the exact words and phrases? You see there have never been official answers to that which means one thing: Microsoft can change these vague rules internally whenever they fucking like. What if 10 times becomes 2, will we know? Nope. What if "Fuck off" is added in the list of banned phrases? Nope, we won't know either.

But sure, let's let corporations decide when they feel like stealing our stuff. Because one thing I've learned in life is that corporations are benevolent and trustworthy institutions.

VertigoOA

Banned
Or when
Just block them. Someone offends you? Block em, mute em, you have the options.

No one should lose their content paid legally because they said your mother was a whore. I don’t approve of this at all. Awful yes, tasteless, yess. But they legally paid money for their content. BLOCK THEM! MUTE!!

There should be some kind of legal protection against companies like Microsoft stealing your purchases away from you.

iconmaster

Banned
Embrace your digital future and your digital games that can be taken away from you! Hahahaha I knew this would eventually happen.

Why you should always buy PHYSICAL when possible.

And MS note this very specifically:

including forfeiture of content licenses

So no one should be able to claim FUD. This is MS' stated policy. If it's a game you care about having access to in the future -- get the disc. Not just because of these rules in particular, but because a digital purchase from any online store can always be revoked without recourse.

Last edited:

John Day

Or when

There should be some kind of legal protection against companies like Microsoft stealing your purchases away from you.

I am sure of one thing. I’ve never played with a mic, and right now I never will.

So then “fuck youuuu team red!!!” Will mean an account ban whenever they like if anyone reports? No investigation at all?

Good thing I don't use their disgusting product and live in a civilised region (Europe) where this is of course completely illegal and grave aggression of both free speech, but also consumer laws and even propriety principle.

Last edited:

_Justinian_

Gold Member
Is it really so difficult to not be an ass online? I also play sports and if someone said even 1/4 of the stuff that I have heard online, they would be booted from the game and would not get a refund for their membership fee which they paid for the season. People only say half the things that they say online because they know they can get away with it. I, for one, welcome this change.

Or when

This is illegal in all civilised countries but dumbfuckistan. No companies has any right to steal neither money nor money your exchange for a sold item. Also why absolutely no one should have ever supported Microsoft in any ways and it's known since the Windows 95 days, not that Apple, but at least for the Xbox One it should have been obvious from the beginning. Maybe that's why it only sells in dumbistan.

John Day

Can we actually trust the company to investigate such toxic language? Or do they depend on “reports” that anyone with a grudge can fill?

That is my worry.

VertigoOA

Banned
:oops:
Can we actually trust the company to investigate such toxic language? Or do they depend on “reports” that anyone with a grudge can fill?

That is my worry.

I’d imagine there are flagged words. As long as you can communicate with your buddies in private chats. Hopefully it won’t turn into twitter and other social networks where you have a bunch of touchy losers hired under groupthink to police and cultivate a cult of personality.

I’ve been gaming online for god knows how long now. I’m used to dumbasses freaking out and going ape shit over someone dropping a shot or blocking a sniper lane viewpoint. It doesn’t bother me. It’s easy to avoid and mute people or finding a group to get along with.

And when it comes to exposing kids to this kind of stuff; most of the time it’s game content children shouldn’t really be exposed to anyway. So I don’t blame gamers for that.

It’s a shame really. It’s very easy to find the block and mute options in all games.

Last edited:

down 2 orth

I ditched Microsoft after my second Red Ring of Death. I thought it would be tough not having access to Halo games, but funny enough, I haven't wanted to play any Microsoft software or hardware since then. I don't like that company, and I especially don't like their company culture. Facist fucks. If Sony follows suit, I'll ditch them as well, though I think I would be a bit more regretful leaving some of their software behind.

DavidGzz

If you are not a toxic pos, don't worry about it. If you are, I'm glad this news displeases you.

Also, the same people who are angry at MS for cleaning up Xbox Live are probably the same ones that complain about 12-year-olds saying they are going to fuck your moms. "People are more mature on PSN."

Last edited:
I was a beta tester for Xbox Live service 1st wave back on the day. .NBA2k16 cost me a 15yr acc banned for life with thousands spent on digital throughout the years. In 2k16 gms get heated, was going back n forth messages with this dude and obviously he reported me, next thing you know. ..red hammer in your face.

I don't want to stress this all over again cause this shit was eating me alive for what these so called..ehh nm pulling a trigger for a lifetime banner . Leave my licenses alone for the gms I've purchased..how they get away with this man.

This is not explicitly a defense of online rudeboy culture or an attack on the policies of companies, but just some thoughts on insults.

I like insulting people, I like it when other people insult people, I often even like it when people insult me. When it's funny or original or particularly biting, or it backfires, I might especially like it. I also like to defend people, and people like to defend me.

Deep conversations can be fun and stimulating, affection and comradery can be fun and stimulating, love is the best thing in the world (and damn stimulating), and even heartbreak can be both painful and great, fighting can be fun and stimulating, insults and hostility can be fun and stimulating. Now that I'm an adult, and all of my social interraction has generally become so much more safe and structured, and contrived, I've felt a side of myself, a kind of sharpness and liveliness and humor, fade, and I miss it. In some ways I was better when I
It's not fake news, he's using semantics bullshit to deny actual policy change. He's full of shit. It's the exact same obnoxious strategy they used when they tried to push for always-online, they blatantly lied using semantics until the very end.

Many people offered solutions, you just ignored them. The best one imo is for people to block the players they don't like based on their own subjective criteria instead of expecting corporations to decide for you based on vague terms what should and shouldn't be allowed. The other solution is to force mute offending players, the last desperate solution would be to ban their accounts. But you're in a thread defending a corporation that wants to steal people's property with rules based on vague terminology no one can agree on.

How am I defending a corporation with no proof they are banning anyone unfairly? The beginning of my argument started by saying the worst offenders need to be dealt with. The counter seems to be we don't trust the moderation team and no recourse to the offenders other than to simply ignore them. Sorry but that doesn't solve the issue.

I already said earlier that there needs to be a balance and yes moderators can abuse their powers.

How am I defending a corporation with no proof they are banning anyone unfairly? The beginning of my argument started by saying the worst offenders need to be dealt with. The counter seems to be we don't trust the moderation team and no recourse to the offenders other than to simply ignore them. Sorry but that doesn't solve the issue.

I already said earlier that there needs to be a balance and yes moderators can abuse their powers.

Last edited:

MrBenchmark

If you are not a toxic pos, don't worry about it. If you are, I'm glad this news displeases you.

Also, the same people who are angry at MS for cleaning up Xbox Live are probably the same ones that complain about 12-year-olds saying they are going to fuck your moms. "People are more mature on PSN."
Agree but also the only hate mail I ever got was on PSN playing Destiny and I played it more on Xbox than PSN. Buttheads are not platform exclusive.

Zog

Banned

Oh yeah, the 'If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to hide' mentality.

I don't care about Xbox Live but Office?

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Leave my licenses alone for the gms I've purchased..how they get away with this man.
...because you are only renting the digital content you pay full price for. Something they don't make clear when you click the 'buy' button. It can be taken away from you at any time and presumably for any reason.

Last edited:

Blam

...because you are only renting the digital content you pay full price for. Something they don't make clear when you click the 'buy' button. It can be taken away from you at any time and presumably for any reason.
Same with PS4, Steam, Origin, Uplay.

Blam

Apple Store, Google Play, Nintendo eShops. Consumers aren't even asking for protections for digital games either.
Nearly every single company does this so they aren't at fault for being sued. You only own your Physical games, not your digital.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I'm glad I left microsoft behind after the 360. They obviously have not learned their lesson from the xbox one launch because they are still trying to control everyone.

Most of the time it's little kids screaming curse words more than anyone and they are too ignorant to know better.

Zog

Banned
I'm glad I left microsoft behind after the 360. They obviously have not learned their lesson from the xbox one launch because they are still trying to control everyone.

Most of the time it's little kids screaming curse words more than anyone and they are too ignorant to know better.

Little kids don't usually use Office so I am wondering why Office was included.

This makes no sense at all.

DavidGzz

I don't see what is wrong with this. If you threaten or harass people on social media or on here you'd be banned. Why can't MS force people to act like decent individuals on their service? If you don't like it, go to a service that allows it. Buh bye.

camelCase

That's positively baffling. Those who support this, what are you thinking? Do you have no qualms with being stripped of your rights?

I guess anything is OK if you supply a good-enough political reason.

bitbydeath

I don't see what is wrong with this. If you threaten or harass people on social media or on here you'd be banned. Why can't MS force people to act like decent individuals on their service? If you don't like it, go to a service that allows it. Buh bye.

Why lock them out of single player games though? Could even just ban their ability to use mics and message sending so they can even still play online.

This doesn’t sound legal and if it is then it shouldn’t be.

Dunki

Ban from online multiplayer sure. But this goes much further than this. And this is what people do not agree with. They are basically telling you we can listen to your private conversations

Last edited:

goldenpp72

The world literally is getting a shittier place to live in, rules are suffocating ya to death.
Act accordingly or how you might behave IRL?, the allure behind the internet is/was that you could be whoever you want to...it was a sort of freedom or place you could let go of stress.

My head is literally spinning.

Zog

Banned
Banning people from your online service is fine but taking away everything they purchased is straight up theft in my book.

Banning people from your online service is fine but taking away everything they purchased is straight up theft in my book.

This I agree with. They shouldn't be allowed to take away your games. If they rely on working with Xbox Live that's a different story. Problem is some of these people are relentless and will just sign up again with a different account. It's like they get off being assholes.

DavidGzz

Why lock them out of single player games though? Could even just ban their ability to use mics and message sending so they can even still play online.

This doesn’t sound legal and if it is then it shouldn’t be.

I really don't see this happening. If I'm wrong, I agree, that is too much.

metalshade

At 30 years of age, I cant count on one hand the number of times I have used a four letter word, and the number of times I have used any type of racist/abusive/sexist language is absolutely zero. As such, you can imagine the extremely long list of terminology I would find offensive, but I certainly wouldn't impose my personal views on the world at large for anything but the most toxic type of abuse that NOBODY should ever have any reason for using.
There will certainly be teething troubles with this system microsoft proposes, but honestly, the amount of good it could do to clean up their platform compared to the number of people it would punish unfairly is very much worth it.
In my opinion.

CD'S BAR

This will either barely be enforced or they'll reverse it after consumer backlash like DRM. No way it's as bad as it sounds.

Codes 208

As an adult who doesnt rage at strangers online and sticks mainly to parties with friends, this doesnt affect me in the slightest. And i hardly believe theyll enforce it. Plus the less immature 12 year olds whove apparantly slept with my mom, sexists, racists and dumbasses, the better.
Proud PS4 and Switch owner. Was thinking of getting a XB1. Gonna boycott it instead. Have fun going bankrupt Microsoft!
Proud owner of all three consoles. All three companies do stupid shit. Did you boycott nintendo for abandoning the wii u or their shitty behavior towards fangames or youtubers? Or sony for how they denied ea access and wont allow crossplay with xbox and nintendo?

HeresJohnny

Yeah, I’m really not with this. It isn’t that I don’t think there are a ton of tools online — I do and there are. It’s just that taking people’s content away for cussing seems pretty draconian. Lucky for me, my Xbox is just for exclusives and doesn’t get that much use as a result, but this really sucks for people who use it as a primary system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom