• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youngest child actor to put on an impressive performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabanton

Beasts Of The Southern Wild

Quvenzhané Wallis

1aa-beasts-southern-r13rs7.jpg

beasts-of-the-southerqfoj2.jpg

Absolutely amazing performance.

Dr.Acula

Banned
How about Ryan O'Neal getting the performance of a lifetime out of his daughter, Tatum, in Paper Moon? He pretty much destroyed her innocence though. By what a performance!

Haley Joel Osment in Sixth Sense was pretty good.

Also, Jamal/Salim younger versions in Slumdog Millionaire were amazing. The fact that they were really slum kids is even more amazing.

mclem

Haley Joel Osment and Christina Ricci are the obvious choices.

I'd also add - from Television - Caitlin Blackwood (Young Amelia Pond from Doctor Who), but biggest of all:

7QbdY.jpg

Ramona Marquez. The rest of the Outnumbered kids too, but especially her.

Jenov

Kirsten Dunst in Interview with a Vampire was pretty remarkable IMO.

Oh, yah that was a good one too!

Also worth mentioning:

0rj35hmfndrpfmd3.jpg

Natalie Portman in the Professional, excellent job.

I think Haley Osment wins it based on age, depth of performance + successful works (AI, Pay it Forward, The Sixth Sense).

The only child actor I ever found endearing was that girl from Stuart Gordon's Dolls

edit- actually Tatum O'Neal was good in Paper Moon

sphinx

the piano man
Haley Joel Osment in Artificial Intelligence is one of the most impressive things I have seen from a minor in a major hollywood movie.

It was... scary and unsettling to think that such a small, young person can do that.

the moment the mother activates the child robot, how he changes, the moment he sits at the table for the first time and laughs, it really is a masterful performance.

The kids from A Separation, The 400 Blows, Los Olvidados, Forbidden Games, The Piano, Bicycle Thieves, The Decalogue, Cinema Paradiso, Days of Heaven, Ivan's Childhood, Pan's Labyrinth, Chop Shop, The Exorcist (not all of it though). Maybe The Sixth Sense (uncertain on that one).

I don't think E.T. qualifies. I'd say the kid from Angela's Ashes, but it's been so many years since I watched it that I don't remember it that well.

Also, not the kids from Terminator 2, The Descendants, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

Hugo neither.

bengraven

None.

Because despite their impressive performance, the second we see them again we automatically hate them and wish they'd go away.

Our generation hates child actors.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Haley Joel Osment in Artificial Intelligence is one of the most impressive things I have seen from a minor in a major hollywood movie.

It was... scary and unsettling to think that such a small, young person can do that.

the moment the mother activates the child robot, how he changes, the moment he sits at the table for the first time and laughs, it really is a masterful performance.
Actually...yeah, probably this

highrider

Banned
The blonde young kid in Master and Commander was pretty awesome I thought. Also that kid from About a Boy was great.

None.

Because despite their impressive performance, the second we see them again we automatically hate them and wish they'd go away.

Our generation hates child actors.

You need to watch some movies with good kid actors in them. Sure I am one who is usually annoyed by kids in movies many times, but that doesn't mean there aren't some really great ones.

DD

Dakota Fanning in War of the Words was incredible.

cruisefanning.jpeg

Indeed!

subrock

The graph in my mind has a y axis labeled "possibility of great acting performance" and an x axis labeled "age" and a line that looks like (x+18)^2

Dakota Fanning in War of the Words was incredible.

cruisefanning.jpeg

Indeed!

Yes. Gaf seems to hate her and her performance with a passion. But she did fantastic. Screaming and freaking out like any little girl would do, and it was totally believable and natural.

LQX

Oh, yah that was a good one too!

Also worth mentioning:

0rj35hmfndrpfmd3.jpg

Natalie Portman in the Professional, excellent job.

I think Haley Osment wins it based on age, depth of performance + successful works (AI, Pay it Forward, The Sixth Sense).

Ugh, wish I was 20 again. Had the biggest crush on her.

Cipherr

interview2.jpg

Kirsten Dunst in Interview with the vampire, her best role to date in my eyes and an absolute fantastic performance.

Came to post Dunst in Vampire, she was amazing in that. Osment in A.I and Sixth Sense also, followed closely by Christina Ricci in the early Adams Family movies.

Anemone

Neo Member
I've been constantly impressed with the kid who plays Geofrey in Game of Thrones. The rest of the kids on that show are very capable as well.

I've been constantly impressed with the kid who plays Geofrey in Game of Thrones. The rest of the kids on that show are very capable as well.

Yeah. Every one of the kids (minus the guy who plays Jon Snow) seem to be fantastic actors. The guy who plays Jon Snow just... seems to be playing himself going by interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom