• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top 3 Games of the Gen?

legacyzero

Banned
Before COD started being a pain in the ass
250px-Call_of_Duty_4_Modern_Warfare.jpg

Double Agent: Mainly for the Spy Versus Merc Multiplayer
256px-Scda_boxart.jpg

Game just resonates with me, i dunno.
256px-Condemned_2_Bloodshot.jpg

Honorable Mention:
Far Cry 2
Lost Odyssey
Gears Trilogy
PDZ
Left 4 Dead.

CassSept

The Binding of Isaac - such a simple, yet addicting game. The value is simply unmatched, at it's measly price you can get hours upon hours of gameplay. Complete randomization means no two runs are ever the same and there are tons of unlockables. It's very challenging too, and it only gets harder as you go on. Fantastic art style and usage of biblical themes. Great soundtrack, too. This game has everything

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - yet, it gets a lot of hate and there certainly many missteps, but they are by far outweighed by the rest of the package. Loss of proper overworld is a shame, but the focus on puzzles makes it negligible. Finally a great usage of motion control.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - quintessential 3D platformer. Everything about this game is simply perfect. It's amazing, beside final boss battle I can't think of a single misstep this game has taken. SMG was already brilliant, and SMG2 has improved it in every aspect. This is a game that only comes once every 10+ years. Stunning.

sublimit

Banned
  1. Nier
  2. Demon's Souls (I don't think Dark Souls hit me as hard - still awesome though!)
  3. Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage

These aren't on replayable-ity... replayability... replay-ability (how is that spelt?)
Just on how these games really hit me and had me on the edge of my seat.

Close runners up:
MGS4
Lost Odyssey
Sonic Generations
Dark Souls
Catherine
Dragon's Dogma

Wow you thought Fist of the North Star was that good??

1. Journey - Pretty much my favourite game ever
2. Mass Effect 2 - This easily could have been 3 but 3 just had so many moments that ruined it, still love the series
3. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves: Best Uncharted by far, loved every minute of it

Qurupeke

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Pokemon White
3. Batman: Arkham Asylum (Actually, I haven't played AC yet... )

Also, wow Bayonetta is really on many lists. I should try it asap...

mclaren777

I'm genuinely surprised by the number of Japanese games in this thread.

• Red Dead Redemption
• Borderlands (2?)
• Uncharted 2

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
These topics are always just filled with hit and runners.. but anyhow.. my list:

1 - Red Dead Redemption

Four-New-Red-Dead-Redemption-DLC-Packs-Announced-.jpg

Just grabbed me in a way that's hard to describe. Immersive as anything I've ever played, and stunningly beautiful in it's setting. Just riding your horse in Mexico at sunset.. just awe inspiring. It had faults, and it hits a point about 2/3rds in that just drags, but it ends well.. and in the end was one of the most satisfying games I've ever played.

2 - Dark Souls

1976441-darksouls_anorlondo_super.jpg

Again, you get lost in the world that seems seamless, desolate, lonely and the dread you feel.. so real. Again, it falls apart at the 2/3rds mark, but up until that point it was perfection in gaming.. so much so that I can forgive those faults. The little touches, that you wouldn't expect as well.. like armor and weapons.. so great.

3 - Skyrim

skyrim1.jpg

Just the epitome of the WRPG all wrapped into one great game.. also mod friendly. There's flaws and bugs.. but it's so huge, so epic in scale.. you forgive them.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
Easily my favorite game this gen, most fun I've had since Mario 64.

2. Portal
I didn't even find the cake/cube jokes very amusing, I just loved the mind-bending gameplay and the amazing atmosphere.

3.Braid
I'm already a sucker for platformers, but the puzzles, music, and visuals really put this game over the top for me. Incredibly memorable for how short the game is.

Honorable Mentions:
Skyward Sword, BioShock, God of War III, Donkey Kong Country Returns, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Bastion, FIFA.

Cyberia

1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Portal

Honorable mention:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Journey
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
PGR 4

Scapegoat

256px-Red_Dead_Redemption.jpg

Uncharted_2_updated_PS3_logo.jpg

Mgs4us_cover_small.jpg

Honorable mentions: GTAIV, Rock Band 2, Portal, Portal 2, Arkham Asylum, AC Brotherhood, Deux Ex: HR, Heavy Rain, Braid

fernoca

Overall:
  • Assassin's Creed II
  • Uncharted 2
  • Mass Effect 3

Honorable Mentions:
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • Mortal Kombat

Though in my case, all would be tied; as those are my favorites this gen. :p

Lakitu

st5fu
3 is very very hard because there are so many standouts to me.

In no particular order...

1. Mirror's Edge
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
3. Fallout 3

But I can think of at least 10 other games that deserves to be in that list: Skyrim, New Vegas, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, Portal 2, Arkham City, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed II, Battlefield 3 (the multiplayer anyway).

And there's much more to come out of this gen and stuff I haven't even played like Witcher 2 and Sleeping Dogs.

Edit: And the XBLA stuff like Limbo, Braid, Shadow Complex. My head's going to explode.

Derrick01

Banned
1. Fallout New Vegas

I'm sure I could find 2 other games that weren't complete embarrassments this generation but I'd need to really sit back and think about it. And it's football day so that aint happening.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
1. Burnout Paradise
2. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
3. Far Cry 2

froliq

Super Mario Galaxy 2, game lists always needs some nintendo!
Team Fortress 2, my most played online game.
The Witcher 2, best rpg this gen. Sorry Demon Souls!

Boss Man

1) Demon's Souls
2) Portal
3) Uncharted 2

Shout out to Dark Souls, Lost Odyssey, and Red Dead Redemption.

I haven't played Super Mario Galaxy yet, unfortunately. I really don't think anything is topping Demon's Souls though.

2San

1) Gears of War 3 - Versus MP. The combat mechanics can't be found in other games and is truly unique. The dancing, wall sliding/cancling. It's great. Kinda sad that execution didn't become the standard gametype. The campaign was disappointing though(Halo:Reach shits all over it).
2) Mass Effect 1 - almost didn't list this, because of what happened to the rest of the series. I didn't forget how amazed I was with this game. I finally got into the wrpg's because of this. Tbh I've played better wrpg's by now, but the initial impact is unrivaled.
3) Halo:Reach - 4p campaign on Legendary is simply blast. Pure and simple fun.

This kinda makes it seem like I only love 360 which is hardly case, but I tried to think of it in pure pleasure terms. Portal 2, Persona 4, DX:HR, BF:BC2, Tera Online(till you hit the level cap), Crysis, Lara Croft and the Gaurdian of Light, Bayonetta, Mass Effect 2, Xenoblade Cronicles, Street Fighter IV. I think these games are just as good. The Gears franchise still has the top spot though. I'm not hyped for Gears:Judgement though, franchise fatigue maybe. :/

Lack of SMG2 is explained by that I'm not into platformers. I did enjoy it though.

ChaosXVI

1. Metroid Prime Trilogy- OK so this one is cheating, and Prime 3 by itself would probably not make my top 3, but certainly my top 10. However all 3 games in one box makes it feel like such a treasure. The new controls gave me reason to beat Prime 1 and 2 even more times than I already had on the Gamecube...I doubt anything will ever top it.

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2- While the original was an impressive game and concept, Galaxy 2's execution was infinitely superior to the original. The level design was brimming with originality and ideas...just an amazing experience beating that game from start to finish.

3. Mass Effect 2- Although I loved the overall atmosphere and depth of ME1, it's hard for me to overlook the game-crushing bugs and not-so-hot shooting mechanics of the game. Mass Effect 2 did everything better, my only complaint being that the tone of the game, while interesting once you got into it, was a bit jarring at first, being so much darker, but the game was amazing to me, though its unfortunate that the small things this game did wrong became much more prominent in ME3.

TWILT

Banned
Only 3 games? In no order...

Overall:
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Xenoblade Chronicles
The World Ends With You

Honorable Mentions:
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
Persona 4 Arena
Demon's Souls (Gonna play Dark Souls soon...)
Valkyria Chronicles

televator

3. Bioshock

2. Metroid Prime 3

1. Without a shadow of doubt in my mind.
Fallout_3_cover_art.PNG

Oddly enough, I think my choices are generally known for how immersive they are.

1. Mushihime-sama Futari - 6 modes between version 1.5 and Black Label, two of which I could call the best in the genre (1.5 Maniac and BL God Mode).
2. Ninja Gaiden II - Hands down the best combat in any action game ever.
3. Akai Katana Shin - Everything about this game is great.

Top Bottom