• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top 3 Games of the Gen?

BlackJace

1. Team Fortress 2
2. COD 4
3. Mirrors Edge

Honorable Mentions:
Super Mario Galaxy
Dark Souls
Ultimate MvC3
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

In no particular order:

Super Mario Galaxy [Wii]
Crackdown / Borderlands [360] (either is good, can't decide)
Batman Arkham Asylum [360]

Honorable mentions:

Little Kings Story [Wii]
Dead Space [360]
Excite Truck [Wii]

K444WSR

1. Mario Galaxy 2
Just amazing. Didn't think they could top the first but they did and in some style.

2. Vanquish/Bayonetta
both were just awesome and firmly put platinum as one of my favorite developers right now.

3.Xenoblade/Dark Souls
I thought long and hard about which one should go here and cannot separate the two. Very different games but both provided me with hours of entertainment.

ilMikhail

In no particular order:

1. Resident Evil 5
2. Gears of War 3
3. Bayonetta

Honorable Mentions:

- Super Mario Galaxy
- UMVC 3
- SSBB
- Left 4 Dead

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 Black Label
3. Mirror's Edge

It's hard to narrow it down to just three. It feels so dirty to not have VVVVVV, Portal 1, and Bioshock 1 somewhere in the list...

Wark

1. Xenoblade
2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
3. Fallout: New Vegas

I would also throw Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Fallout 3, Red Dead Redemption, and Torchlight in there somewhere.

zkylon

zkylewd
Undisputed 1. FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS. The only positive imprint of Bethesda's existence in the universe and probably one of the best RPGs of all times, I'm in love with this game more than almost any other. A work of art through and through.

Second place is for either Souls game, Dark or Demon's and I'm undecided on the third. It could go to Alpha Protocol, Mass Effect 1, STALKER, The Witcher, Bioshock, so many great games...

1. Red Dead Redemption - great characterization, fun gameplay, nice vistas, overall great experience
2. World in Conflict (Complete) - fun overall story, great characters and plot development, nice streamlining of RTS to help the game flow, amazing graphics at the time still great now
3. Team Fortress 2 - put hundreds of hours into this game, classic maps, innovative gameplay mechanics, good objective modes, good community

Runners-up: Deus Ex HR, CoD4, Uncharted series, Mass Effect series

1. Dragon Quest V DS - this should count since it was never released in America prior to the DS version
0fxGk.jpg

2. Uncharted 2 - my favorite multiplayer of this gen. I remember a lot of people hating on Naughty Dog for adding multiplayer, but it enhanced the game, and didn't hinder the single player (IMO).

3. Skyrim - I would probably be still playing this if my only option wasn't the PS3 version. Still, I loved the game. Logged around 70 hours. The soundtrack is so damn good.

ohlawd

1) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
2) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
3) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

The best games of the FPS genre; the best trilogy in video game history. Cried myself to sleep after finishing MW3's campaign. Never will I play a series that exudes perfection.

ScOULaris

1. Mario Galaxy 1 & 2

super-mario-galaxy-2-screenshot-1.jpg

Both are as close to gaming perfection as one could ever hope for. The amount of polish, creativity, and unbridled fun on offer in these two masterpieces is a testament to how insanely talented Nintendo's EAD Tokyo team is. A magical experience from beginning to end.

2. Red Dead Redemption

17dead-span-articleLarge.jpg

The best open-world game of this gen and possibly all time, Red Dead Redemption set a high watermark for world building as well as character writing that still has yet to be matched since IMO. Despite a somewhat overstretched middle portion in Mexico, the game's story is consistently interesting, and the world and characters have a real life to them. Exploring the beautiful, open frontier with little pockets of civilization sprinkled throughout it as beautiful weather transitions shift the mood of every scene provided me with some of my all-time favorite gaming memories. And what can be said about the ending? The lead-up to it and then the ultimate conclusion are phenomenal.

Xenoblade Chronicles

xblade2.jpg

Up until a few months ago, I would have probably given this third spot to Uncharted 2, given its immaculate pacing, presentation, and unexpectedly good multiplayer component. But then I played Xenoblade, and I knew after a few hours in that this was one of my favorite games in years. The world in which Xenoblade takes place, atop two deceased titans, is undoubtedly one of the most massive, interesting, and beautiful gaming worlds ever conceived. There's just to much to see, and the best part is that the game was designed with this in mind. It rewards you for exploring with EXP and other hidden goodies, and the low penalty for death encourages the player to wander around without fear of getting wiped out by some high-level enemy. Hell, even the story and voice acting are much, much better than what we've gotten for years from JRPG's. It's probably the best RPG I've ever played, and for that reason I have to put it on this list.

2. Red Dead Redemption

17dead-span-articleLarge.jpg

The best open-world game of this gen and possibly all time, Red Dead Redemption set a high watermark for world building as well as character writing that still has yet to be matched since IMO. Despite a somewhat overstretched middle portion in Mexico, the game's story is consistently interesting, and the world and characters have a real life to them. Exploring the beautiful, open frontier with little pockets of civilization sprinkled throughout it as beautiful weather transitions shift the mood of every scene provided me with some of my all-time favorite gaming memories. And what can be said about the ending? The lead-up to it and then the ultimate conclusion are phenomenal.

The jump in quality from GTA IV to Red Dead Redemption was staggering, especially after how disappointing GTA IV was. RDR was fantastic.

Conor 419

Banned
Wii

Galaxy 2
Xenoblade
Skyward Sword
Monster Hunter Tri

Halo 3
Viva Piñata
Mass Effect
Bioshock

PS3

Dark Souls
Mirrors Edge
MGS4
Littlebigplanet

PC

World of Goo
TF2
CoH
Minecraft

DS

Animal Crossing
Nintendogs
Advance Wars: Day of Ruin
GTA: Chinatown Wars

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This gen has been so long that it's kind of hard to remember. Off the top of my head and in no particular order:

- Halo 3
- Super Mario Galaxy 2
- Portal 2

Runners Up: Borderlands 2, Mark of the Ninja, Halo Reach, Crackdown, Drop7.

Top Bottom