• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top 3 Games of the Gen?

McHuj

1. Dark Souls
2. Batman Arkhams
3. Portal

Honarable Mention
Amensia The Dark Decent
Bioshock
Witcher 2
Alan Wake

meta4

Great to see the UC2,MGS4, Journey love here and nice to see KZ2 being mentioned quite a few times as well. All great games.

Hard to pick only 3 :/

1. The Legend of Zelda: Twillight Princess
2. Heavy Rain
3. MGS4

Honourable Mention:

Uncharted series
Catherine
Journey
Deus Ex: HR
Portal 2
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Sullichin

1. Dark Souls
2. Demon's Souls
- these games are just on another level for me. I can't get sick of them. I get excited about new games but I'm always in the middle of at least one Souls playthrough.
3. Maybe Soul Calibur 4 just because of how much time I spent playing this with friends. Deus Ex HR, Fallout 3/NV and Batman AA/AC could take this spot too.

Do you care about the hate final fantasy xiii is always getting everywhere?

Nah, it can kinda get annoying hearing people bitch about it all the time, but they are warranted to their opinions. I can't blame them though. My first time through the game I hated it lol. Six plus times through and it's my favorite game of the gen.

The battle system, and incredible attention to visuals is what does it in the end for me.

1. Monster Hunter Tri - My two best friends were MH fanboys, now I am too...
2. CoD: Black Ops - I know GAF has an irrational hate for anything CoD after 4, but I loved the maps and loved the zombies mode.
3. Super Mario Galaxy - My third favorite 3D platformer after the Banjo games. Haven't played the second one yet.

Honorable mentions;
Xenoblade - I'm not a fan of RPG games, but the battle system and massive world are both great.
Soul Calibur V - Fan of the series.
Fatal Frame 4 - I love horror games...
Silent Hill Downpour - I really love horror games...
Phoenix Wright series - No particular favorite, but a wonderful series with great writing and likeable characters.

MGS: HD collection would be number one if it counted.

RM8

1- Mario Kart DS
2- Dragon Quest IX
3- Kirby Mass Attack

UGhbB.jpg
59SNm.jpg
3lwI9.jpg

Also, I need to mention these or I'll feel really bad: Super Street Fighter IV, Tekken 6, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Demon's Souls, Super Paper Mario, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Luminous Arc, Pokémon White, Super Princess Peach, SoulCalibur V, Spelunker HD,

PowderedToast

ff xiii - fantastical, humanistic, deeply enthralling battle system, beautiful ending
kane & lynch 2 - sensational visual aesthetic, provokes introspection on the shooting 'genre', smart and sincere
resi 5 - pure crack delivered in that slick, satisfying japanese fashion. the 'guilty pleasure' choice

honorable mentions

ffxiii-2 - very admirable on a thematic and conceptual level, frequently exciting on a systems level + superbly moving ost
assassin's creed - dry, serious and humanist take on history. some affecting back and forth dialogue
bayonetta - a celebration of gaming excess, post-feminist protagonist, wondrous battle system
far cry 2 - freeform, emergent + requires player to absorb and accept environment at slower pace

MGS4 - this game is sooo amazing, right up there with Subsistence for best in the series, maybe better (way better gameplay, deeper, but MGS3 always score points for its plot & setting).

Oblivion - disclaimer, I still haven't played Skyrim so that may well unseat this, but I'm a big Elder Scrolls fan and put a ton of hours into this.

Valkyria Chronicles - Arguably the best JRPG of the decade, imo. Memorable characters, music, an incredible art style, deep customization, cool plot & setting, and most importantly the mechanics are fun as hell, something you can rarely honestly say about JRPGs. Beyond underrated.

Still a lot of games I haven't played yet this gen though. This list could look very different 18 months from now once I've finished Deus Ex HR, Xenoblade, all the MassEffects, Skyrim, all the Uncharteds, Tag Tournament 2, Halo 4, etc.

Honourable mentions to Wipeout HD, Metroid Prime 3, Alien Crush Returns (don't laugh, put so many hours into that on Wii), Tekken 6, Super SF IV, Ridge Racer 7.

pantsmith

Fallout: New Vegas-

As a big fan of the first two Fallouts, New Vegas was the sequel I never expected to get. Not only a good game, and a good sequel, but it also managed to be my favorite RPG of the generation in terms of pretty much everything I like about role playing games.

Demon's/Dark Souls-

These two are perfect in their own special ways, and though I think I prefer Dark Souls's world more, I prefer Demon's Souls's experience. So a tie between them both. They managed to be better Zeldas than Zelda, better Metroids than Metroid, innovate online gameplay while preserving a strong single player experience, and offer old school charm and mature storytelling where so many other games failed.

These games are in a league of their own, and will be considered classics by future generations.

Dead Rising-

While flawed, Dead Rising takes so many ideas and influences that I adore, and mixes them together into an experience unlike anything else. I love the camp, the ultraviolence, the bizarre take on the zombie genre, the New Game+ system, the main character, the imagery, the atmosphere and everything in between. I can understand why a lot of people dont like it, but for me those reasons just cause me to like it more.

somesplace

Neo Member
1. max payne 3 -- incredible technology and always-solid mechanics
2. dark souls -- finally, zelda fans can enjoy themselves again
3. frozen synapse -- very fun multiplayer tactics game. now if only there was LAN play...

jmizzal

Zelda Skyward Sword - The Most fun game I have played this gen

Metroid Prime Trilogy - Prime 3 had the best FP controls, and I never beat Metroid Prime on GC so this is not cheating lol

Deus Ex: The Human Revolution - Wasnt sure how good this game would be but man was it great, I loved every bit of it.

oroboros

Dark / Demon's Souls
Super Street Fighter IV
Valkyria Chronicles

Honorable mentions:

Mirror's Edge - most beautiful game ever
Super Meat Boy
Deathsmiles II
Dota 2
Torchlight 2

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Bayonetta
Portal 2
Mirror's Edge

Easy choices, though I feel I should give both New Vegas and Vanquish honorable mentions.

Bayonetta
EDF 2017
Deadly Premonition(LOL)
Journey

Close: Arkham Asylum(sorry City I wasn't quite cool with you)
PSO2
Catherine
Demon's Souls
Lost Odyssey

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
DOTA 2

Skyrim

Red Dead Redemption

Not sure if HL2 was part of this gen or not. But if it was, throw that at the top.

ajim

Difficult, there have been so many fantastic games. Buy I think I'll go with:

1) Monster Hunter Tri
2) Xenoblade Chronicles
3) Little Kings Story

The Wii taking out the top 3. Although there have been so many fantastic games on the as and 360 too.

Einherjar

Hmm, top games coming to mind are all PS1/PS2 era. But if I had to pick, I think it would be the tales games (Vesperia, Graces, Xilia). Really enjoyed BlazBlue and P4 Arena as well.

I miss the old generation. Forced to get my oldschool fix from handhelds (Unchained Blades, Tactics Ogre, Shin Megami Tensei, etc) :(

Neiteio

Whoa, totally forgot that DS games count. Uhhh, add 999, Mario Kart DS, and Pokemon Black and White to my list of 25 games on the other page.

Acageron

1. D. Souls
2. Uncharted 2
3. GTA4

Honorable mentions: super meat boy, skyrim, Nier, red dead redemption, assassins creed 2, xenoblade chronicles, just cause 2.

LOCK

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
3. Uncharted 2

Once you get to the third it gets really hard for me. SMG2 is the best Mario and one of the best games ever made. SS is the 5th best Zelda after Oot, LttP, WW, and MM, but these games are also some of the best ever made. UC2 took cinematic and storytelling to a whole new level, which deserves props, but the more I think about it the more I feel like a whole lot of other games are just as deserving.

Seance

Banned
Halo3- No game have I played nearly as much. I'm even too embarrassed to say the number of hours i've sunk in this game. But totally worth it. :)

Dragons Dogma

Battlefield 3

Brofist

Demon's Souls
Skyrim (PC version)
Uncharted 2

A lot of other games I liked, but those stick out in my mind.

Top Bottom