• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda for Wii U reveal @ Nintendo Treehouse: Live by Reggie, June 14 6PMCEST

Neiteio

I am worried about the gimmick in the game because I didn't like the wolf or motion controls. However, I just remembered the awesome wall mechanic in Link Between Worlds. It was totally unexpected and allowed you to get around in a cool way without having to resort to platforming mechanics.
The wall mechanic in ALBW was pretty much the best gimmick in a Zelda game since the masks and three-day cycle in Majora's Mask. Hopefully the gimmick in Zelda WiiU/NX is equally inspired. :)

AdanVC

The gimmick would be Link having some sort of steampunk smarthphone that can comunicate with souls from a mirrored dimension an each one can give Link different power-ups to solve the dungeon's puzzles. It can also take selfies.

The gimmick would be Link having some sort of steampunk smarthphone that can comunicate with souls from a mirrored dimension an each one can give Link different power-ups to solve the dungeon's puzzles. It can also take selfies.

q8m2uodm7maegovlpmif.jpg

BY2K

Membero Americo
i'm probably not the first person to try this, but awhile ago i attempted to use screengrabs from the game awards footage to get a sense of how big the world could be:

kHaCD2r.gif

God, I'm gonna watch a little of the E3 gameplay then I'm going on a black out. I can't ruin myself a huge game like this by spoiling myself everything because NIntendo will most likely reveal everyhting about the game before it comes out.

Though since the point of the game is to explore, I hope they lay off a bit.

God, I'm gonna watch a little of the E3 gameplay then I'm going on a black out. I can't ruin myself a huge game like this by spoiling myself everything because NIntendo will most likely reveal everyhting about the game before it comes out.

Though since the point of the game is to explore, I hope they lay off a bit.

I'm more worried about the trailer revealing everything than the gameplay/demos (Skyward Sword's trailer showed pretty much everything from what I can remember). I really want to do a black-out I don't think I can resist after all the delays.

I'm more worried about the trailer revealing everything than the gameplay/demos (Skyward Sword's trailer showed pretty much everything from what I can remember). I really want to do a black-out I don't think I can resist after all the delays.

The final launch trailer, maybe. The E3 trailers for SS barely showed anything.

I'm not blacking out. I couldn't care less about that stuff. I want to see a lot of footage and gameplay. I want to see the world and different areas.

I've wait years for this game. It's been too long and I'm very excited to see Aonuma talk about it lol.

KingBroly

Banned
So...if the map is like Zelda 1, and there are locales that look similar to Zelda 1...maybe this game is going to be 3D re-imagining of the original Zelda concept with time travel and shit like that?

AdanVC

So this was confirmed that Nintendo will only stream on June 14 and that's it, right? It will be ridiculous if they used the whole 3 days of E3 just to show Zelda. Unless the game's map is as big as Russia, China and the entire Donatello's shaped map from GTAV.

KingBroly

Banned
You cant say that without posting a comparison 👀

Since I'm lazy...
- Water's at the right-side of the map
- Mountains at the top
- Desert-looking area at the bottom left

Not to mention that one part of the video look was similar to the Zelda manual art of Link looking over a plateau.

udivision

So this was confirmed that Nintendo will only stream on June 14 and that's it, right? It will be ridiculous if they used the whole 3 days of E3 just to show Zelda. Unless the game's map is as big as Russia, China and the entire Donatello's shaped map from GTAV.

I really don't see why they would announce Day 1's events, wait a week, announce Day 2, etc...

They could... it really seems like the big stuff is Day 1, and everything else will be impressions from the show floor.

We don't know for sure if there's going to be 3 days of Treehouse this year. All they said was a day of Treehouse live dedicated to Zelda U. I'm hoping there are two more days of Treehouse which would mean they will play other games.

Andyliini

Gold Member
We don't know for sure if there's going to be 3 days of Treehouse this year. All they said was a day of Treehouse live dedicated to Zelda U. I'm hoping there are two more days of Treehouse which would mean they will play other games.

Of course such a thing could be asked in Miiverse if E3 community goes live this year. Though If there's only 1 day planned, it would be difficult trying to whip up another 2 days of content.

takriel

i'm probably not the first person to try this, but awhile ago i attempted to use screengrabs from the game awards footage to get a sense of how big the world could be:

kHaCD2r.gif
Marketing: "With the sheer scale and endless exploration this Zelda game offers, you'll wish the next game will take even longer than 5 years to come out! And guess what, we got you, bro."

Of course such a thing could be asked in Miiverse if E3 community goes live this year. Though If there's only 1 day planned, it would be difficult trying to whip up another 2 days of content.
Sorry, I'm a little confused on what you're saying. They have plenty of games they can play if they do two extra days since day 1 is only Zelda.

Diffense

IMO, Majora's Mask was very forward-thinking in the way it handled NPCs and sidequests. That game leaned heavily on world building instead of a linear narrative and that approach would fit the supposedly less linear design of Zelda Wii U. Basically, MM's scenario was that the world was ending and the sidequests showed how that was affecting people's lives. The main storyline never got far from "stop the moon" but the web of NPC interactions built up around the doomsday scenario resulted in a rich and memorable experience for the player. The various NPC storylines range from quirky to tragic and discovering their schedules over the three days was a meta-quest in itself. It's a shame that Majora's Mask's impact on subsequent Zeldas has been so limited. It stands out as an extremely unique entry with a charm all its own.

I'm hopeful that the new game will be inspired by the positive aspects of past games while bringing new ideas to the table.

Aldric

IMO, Majora's Mask was very forward-thinking in the way it handled NPCs and sidequests. That game leaned heavily on world building instead of a linear narrative and that approach would fit the supposedly less linear design of Zelda Wii U. Basically, MM's scenario was that the world was ending and the sidequests showed how that was affecting people's lives. The main storyline never got far from "stop the moon" but the web of NPC interactions built up around the doomsday scenario resulted in a rich and memorable experience for the player. The various NPC storylines range from quirky to tragic and discovering their schedules over the three days was a meta-quest in itself. It's a shame that Majora's Mask's impact on subsequent Zeldas has been so limited. It stands out as an extremely unique entry with a charm all its own.

I'm hopeful that the new game will be inspired by the positive aspects of past games while bringing new ideas to the table.

The thing with Majora's Mask is its sidequests focused gameplay worked so well because of how tight and compact the world was, on top of the three days mechanic. lt made familiarizing yourself with these people, their problems, their schedule, their personality far easier. lt'd be very difficult if not impossible to reproduce this sort of feeling with the apparent structure of the upcoming game, a giant open world with linear time flow.

maxcriden

I'm not blacking out.. I cant, I'm sorry ima trust them not to spoil shit. Enviornments is hardly a spoil to me.

I'm kinda hoping the same. I know this is a bit of a different situation, but Nintendo has never been too spoilerly with the first full trailer for a Zelda, right? So I'm hoping we get a trailer and that it's not too spoilery. At the least we should get a fanmade one from playable footage. But I imagine Nintendo will release one also. And I'm hoping the E3 demo itself isn't too too spoilery. I want to be able to watch a trailer and then go on media blackout. But maybe I should just go on blackout now. But then maybe I'll have no remaining reason for E3 hype and that's kind of a sad thought. Though at this point I'm expecting a Nintendo Direct this or next month for Wii U/3DS updates since we aren't getting an E3 one. But maybe it won't be till July or later.

I really don't see why they would announce Day 1's events, wait a week, announce Day 2, etc...

They could... it really seems like the big stuff is Day 1, and everything else will be impressions from the show floor.

I presume were getting one day of treehouse footage focused on showing off Zelda, then the rest of E3 (Wed.-Fri. I believe) attendees will be able to come and play the game. Every indication otherwise at this point is that no other games or treehouse footage will be at E3. At the very least the former. I suppose treehouse could be on hand demoing the game in person and walking the floor but I don't expect more of the game to be shown off beyond what's shown on Tuesday during treehouse live and what's discovered by attendees playing the game. It seems expecting otherwise may be setting yourself up for disappointment.

The Boat

The thing with Majora's Mask is its sidequests focused gameplay worked so well because of how tight and compact the world was, on top of the three days mechanic. lt made familiarizing yourself with these people, their problems, their schedule, their personality far easier. lt'd be very difficult if not impossible to reproduce this sort of feeling with the apparent structure of the upcoming game, a giant open world with linear time flow.
Yep. Expecting a gigantic world with likely lots of NPCs to be like MM is not reasonable at all.

georly

I'm not blacking out.. I cant, I'm sorry ima trust them not to spoil shit. Enviornments is hardly a spoil to me.

As long as you don't consider random snippets of the game's environments and cutscenes, 2/3rds of a dungeon, a full boss fight, and one other random section from the game (fishing, stealth, exploration/enemy camp) to be spoilers, you'll be fine.

Add treehouse on top of that, and I expect the full intro to be spoiled as well.

Pre-e3 blackout for me. Nothing from here to launch, if I can help it. I know I won't be able to avoid the title, the amiibo (and therefore characters), and some random screenshots/gifs, but I should be able to avoid quite a bit.

Plan is: No gaf/twitter for 2 weeks starting on Nintendo E3 day, mute aaaaaaaaany zelda related terms I can think of, stay off major video game websites, unsub from gamexplain/other media on youtube who would cover zelda on a weekly basis, and obviously don't click on any zelda related gaf threads.

The less I know the better, but I know I can't avoid it all without quitting the internet for 9~ months (or at least my favorite parts of the internet)

maxcriden

Yep. Expecting a gigantic world with likely lots of NPCs to be like MM is not reasonable at all.

Unfortunately, agreed. The only way we get something quite like that again may be the reintroduction of a time loop, and that might confuse or alienate players too much.

As long as you don't consider random snippets of the game's environments and cutscenes, 2/3rds of a dungeon, a full boss fight, and one other random section from the game (fishing, stealth, exploration/enemy camp) to be spoilers, you'll be fine.

Add treehouse on top of that, and I expect the full intro to be spoiled as well.

This is about what I expect too. The trailer if there is one will likely comprise what you described above in brief, minus the fullness of the intro which I'd expect to just be in the treehouse segment and not the trailer (though with treehouse, given the open world setup, they could just demo of a vertical slice of open-world exploration instead, but either way I'd expect a dungeon or a part of one or smaller one if not the intro itself, so perhaps equally spoilery). We'll see though. Who knows how the "brand new way to play" nature of this game will affect how it's shown off.

georly

Unfortunately, agreed. The only way we get something quite like that again may be the reintroduction of a time loop, and that might confuse or alienate players too much.

This is about what I expect too. The trailer if there is one will likely comprise what you described above in brief, minus the fullness of the intro which I'd expect to just be in the treehouse segment and not the trailer (though with treehouse, given the open world setup, they could just demo of a vertical slice of open-world exploration instead, but either way I'd expect a dungeon or a part of one or smaller one if not the intro itself, so perhaps equally spoilery). We'll see though. Who knows how the "brand new way to play" nature of this game will affect how it's shown off.

Zero way on earth you're not getting this game's 'gimmick' / new mechanic spoiled at E3, if you can even consider that a spoiler. I wouldn't, that's silly. It's the whole reason for the game to exist. And I mean that on top of 'open world zelda.' My guess it's just related to the magic arrow things and the tablet on his belt.

ALBW = wall merging
SS = motion sword/item controls + skyward strike
TP = wolf link
WW = sailing/controlling wind
MM = shapeshifting w/ masks
OoT = time travel

We'll get whatever is this game's version of that at E3, likely in the title, as well.

maxcriden

Zero way on earth you're not getting this game's 'gimmick' / new mechanic spoiled at E3, if you can even consider that a spoiler. I wouldn't, that's silly. It's the whole reason for the game to exist. And I mean that on top of 'open world zelda.' My guess it's just related to the magic arrow things and the tablet on his belt.

ALBW = wall merging
SS = motion sword/item controls + skyward strike
TP = wolf link
WW = sailing/controlling wind
MM = shapeshifting w/ masks
OoT = time travel

We'll get whatever is this game's version of that at E3, likely in the title, as well.

Ah, sorry, if you'd said that in your post, I'd missed it. I agree with you. I hadn't thought about whether the gimmick would be revealed but it definitely will be. I wasn't meaning to exclude it from what I wrote, just didn't even think of it honestly. ☺

klier

Pre-e3 blackout for me. Nothing from here to launch, if I can help it. I know I won't be able to avoid the title, the amiibo (and therefore characters), and some random screenshots/gifs, but I should be able to avoid quite a bit.

Same here. Though I do want to see at least some tiny bits. I am not buying it on WiiU anyways.

georly

Basically ask yourself: Are you OK with knowing this much about the game? (items, dungeons, npcs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dYgrMz_XBI + https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMkvcKhVCEk

Add 3~ hours of demo footage on top of that. Still good? Ok enjoy E3.

For me, personally, SS revealed too many items and neat puzzle solutions leading up to launch. Whip in particular. Once I got to ancient cistern, I immediately figured out which item that dungeon was getting thanks to trailers :/

BY2K

Membero Americo
I don't expect to see more than the opening of the game up to the end of one dungeon.

And if the game is going to be as big as they make it sound like, it won't be THAT much, either.

georly

I certainly HOPE it's not a very big game. TP was too big.

TP had a really good dungeon number. Add freedom to choose which dungeons you do in certain order, give you mini-dungeons or TP-style caves to explore, and it'll be great. You can usually expect console zeldas to be 40 hours~ your first time through. If the game is well designed, you can rush through it in 20~ if you know what to do. TP/SS kinda prevented that, which was a bummer. Made replays slower than they should have been, I think. I liked ALBW because I can get through a new playthrough in 10-15~ hours or so. ALttP I can beat 100% in one sitting. I enjoy speedy replays, I hope this game allows me that courtesy.

Plan is: No gaf/twitter for 2 weeks starting on Nintendo E3 day, mute aaaaaaaaany zelda related terms I can think of, stay off major video game websites, unsub from gamexplain/other media on youtube who would cover zelda on a weekly basis, and obviously don't click on any zelda related gaf threads.

The less I know the better, but I know I can't avoid it all without quitting the internet for 9~ months (or at least my favorite parts of the internet)
Its honestlt not a big deal to me.I love Zelda as much as anyone, my favorite franchise after all.. the pinnacle of our hobby to me. I watched all the skyward stuff and couldnt even remember most of it when I played the game.

Honestly if people wish to blackout, or if I blacked out I wouldnt even be in this thread lol.

kunonabi

So...if the map is like Zelda 1, and there are locales that look similar to Zelda 1...maybe this game is going to be 3D re-imagining of the original Zelda concept with time travel and shit like that?

I hope not. Time travel and Zelda is pretty played out at this point. Getting rid of time travel and the focus on musicial instruments would help the game feel fresher than anything else at this point.

Basically ask yourself: Are you OK with knowing this much about the game? (items, dungeons, npcs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dYgrMz_XBI + https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMkvcKhVCEk

Add 3~ hours of demo footage on top of that. Still good? Ok enjoy E3.

For me, personally, SS revealed too many items and neat puzzle solutions leading up to launch. Whip in particular. Once I got to ancient cistern, I immediately figured out which item that dungeon was getting thanks to trailers :/
I think a specific problem with Skyward Sword is the emphasis on items / etc. because of the Wiimote.

They just wanted to show of the unique Wiimote functionality in every possible way.

Usually, it would've been more of a story trailer like the second.

maxcriden

This one is gonna have the biggest map in the series' yet. Prepare to be overwhelmed.

I'm actually wondering if that will in fact be the case. I have no doubt the overworld will be significantly larger than OoT MM, and Twilight Princess. But I'm wondering of its going to be as big as WW/Skyward. I say this because I'm under the impression that the overworld of those games, including the Sky in the latter's case, is massively larger than any other 3D Zelda. Am I correct in thinking that? Perhaps I'm misrecalling but I'd thought if you were to traverse the Great Sea on foot, like if it were all land instead, that it would be insanely huge, much bigger than TPHD....

georly

I think a specific problem with Skyward Sword is the emphasis on items / etc. because of the Wiimote.

They just wanted to show of the unique Wiimote functionality in every possible way.

Usually, it would've been more of a story trailer like the second.

I agree with you, still not gonna risk it.

This thread and pre-e3 is the last of my zelda U footage/info following. The less I know the better. And if it isn't that much better, at least I tried it once. I haven't NOT known almost everything about a new zelda game since the first 3 (and even ALttP I read all of the nintendo power coverage leading up to it - still not that much info, no trailers!). First 3 games were pretty great going in nearly blind.

lol, each version prolly gets an exclusive

I'm going to cry if there are retailer exclusive preorder bonuses.

I'm going to double cry if they're exclusive BUNDLED amiibo.

Isn't Xenoblade X map as big as Skirim, Fallout 4, and Withcer 3 maps combined? I honestly hope Zelda U is smaller than that, unless we also have Skells in Zelda.

It could work with a flying mount, the last game had loftwings. But honestly, I don't want it to be that large either. I was just trying to figure out how big the overworld could be compared to Xenoblade.
According to Aonuma, ZeldaU is the size of Kyoto. Kyoto is huge... For reference.

Kyoto(Zelda U if Aonuma is accurate): about 319.6 square miles

Xeno X: about 154.4 square miles.

Meesh

It could work with a flying mount, the last game had loftwings. But honestly, I don't want it to be that large either. I was just trying to figure out how big the overworld could be compared to Xenoblade.
According to Aonuma, ZeldaU is the size of Kyoto. Kyoto is huge... For reference.

Kyoto(Zelda U if Aonuma is accurate): about 319.6 square miles

Xeno X: about 154.4 square miles.
I'm both strangely intimidated and immensely turned on by this...

Now add 4 cups dungeon greatness,
2 cups side questiness,
1 cup memorable companion character,
1 cup engaging(?) story,
3/4 cup killer bosses,
1/2 cup gimmick,
2 doses nostalgia, whisked,
A dash of whimsical charm, a sprinkle of Nintendo magic...

Serve fresh Zelda on piping hot NX or let cool on the U :)
Since I'm lazy...
- Water's at the right-side of the map
- Mountains at the top
- Desert-looking area at the bottom left

Not to mention that one part of the video look was similar to the Zelda manual art of Link looking over a plateau.
Don't toy with my heart! I'd really dig a throw back to earlier Zeldas...that said your description also sounds like ALttP overworld map too.

Top Bottom