• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda for Wii U reveal @ Nintendo Treehouse: Live by Reggie, June 14 6PMCEST

IGN: The Road to E3: The next Legend of Zelda

http://youtu.be/VxOK-SR9GH4
Wait, isn't this pic / artwork in the video new?

girekku5e.jpg

Edit: Ok, it's just an deviantart-artwork lol

http://pre12.deviantart.net/2be7/th...d_of_zelda__u____link_by_rockxass-d7ltyrr.jpg

It could work with a flying mount, the last game had loftwings. But honestly, I don't want it to be that large either. I was just trying to figure out how big the overworld could be compared to Xenoblade.
According to Aonuma, ZeldaU is the size of Kyoto. Kyoto is huge... For reference.

Kyoto(Zelda U if Aonuma is accurate): about 319.6 square miles

Xeno X: about 154.4 square miles.
So its bigger than XCX? When did he say that?

So its bigger than XCX? When did he say that?

It's hard to know exactly what Aonuma meant. His exact translated quote was:

In terms of the scale of the new Zelda world on Wii U, I always think of Kyoto as my base.

That doesn't necessarily mean "the game world = size of Kyoto" in strict square mileage. It could just mean "the size of this game world gives me a similar feeling as walking around Kyoto." Aonuma also mentioned that he wants players to "make a plan when you’re travelling", just in "real life".

Source

It's hard to know exactly what Aonuma meant. His exact translated quote was:

That doesn't necessarily mean "the game world = size of Kyoto" in strict square mileage. It could just mean "the size of this game world gives me a similar feeling as walking around Kyoto." Aonuma also mentioned that he wants players to "make a plan when you’re travelling", just in "real life".

Source
Hmmm.. yeah that can be interpreted 10 ways

Simbabbad

I'd argue that Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime Trilogy are both much better motion controlled games, and both of them were already out when SS released.
You can add Kororinpa, Trauma Center, Sin & Punishment 2, Elebits, Resident Evil 4, Pikmin and Pikmin 2, Pandora's Tower, Disaster Day of Crisis, Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort to the list.

Skyward Sword has a mundane use of motion controls, like:

::enemy strikes a pause with its left flank open, stays immobile::
::player strikes left flank::

OooOOOoooh, so impressive. Skyward Sword combat is basically Simon Says.

On paper, it's exactly the same as Zelda II, which I don't think anyone would compare to Simon Says. You keep abreast of your enemy's guard and try to get a hit in where they're exposed.

In practice, they made the enemy AI so non-aggressive (the enemies basically stand there unless you fuck up several times) and the enemy density so pathetic (the very first pack of Bokoblins you fight is the largest one you see until the end of the game) that it's nothing like Zelda II.

Simbabbad

On paper, it's exactly the same as Zelda II, which I don't think anyone would compare to Simon Says. You keep abreast of your enemy's guard and try to get a hit in where they're exposed.

In practice, they made the enemy AI so non-aggressive (the enemies basically stand there unless you fuck up several times) and the enemy density so pathetic (the very first pack of Bokoblins you fight is the largest one you see until the end of the game) that it's nothing like Zelda II.
So in other words, you disagree with me but you agree with me :) ?

In Zelda II you really feel like enemies are trying to kill you. In Skyward Sword they're all like: "come on, man, COME ON, hit left, I'm waitiiiiiing".

The motion controls "work". Do they add anything? Nope. Do they remove things? Hell yes, group attacks, pacing, believability, excitement, etc.

Meesh

So in other words, you disagree with me but you agree with me :) ?

In Zelda II you really feel like enemies are trying to kill you. In Skyward Sword they're all like: "come on, man, COME ON, hit left, I'm waitiiiiiing".

The motion controls "work". Do they add anything? Nope. Do they remove things? Hell yes, group attacks, pacing, believability, excitement, etc.
I'm kinda with you on this... It disturbs the battle pacing. However if they used motion controls in such a way where basic enemies were almost inconsequential, as in you could freely attack them anywhere and remove armor/have visible damage/or say they rewarded you for dispatching enemies with various strikes...the battle might be faster paced and hopefully less shallow than I'm conveying. Boss battles could be different of course, they always are...

Sadly in way, we'll never know what could've been since they'll probably never take a stab at another motion Zelda experience...maybe if they refine SS for an HD overhaul?

I haven't 100% kept up with the thread but has a Zelda series/movie announcement been discussed? Since the entire booth will be Zelda-land and the game is the only playable demo it seems like Nintendo is going all-in on some Zelda stuff. I understand other properties will be announced and demoed (not playable) but that's a huge level of Zelda immersion for just one game.

Meesh

I haven't 100% kept up with the thread but has a Zelda series/movie announcement been discussed? Since the entire booth will be Zelda-land and the game is the only playable demo it seems like Nintendo is going all-in on some Zelda stuff. I understand other properties will be announced and demoed (not playable) but that's a huge level of Zelda immersion for just one game.
Disney/Pixar outta get on that!!!
Hey, it could be good?
Personally hoping for some kind of Zelda anime movie/ova series lol

RagnarokX

You can add Kororinpa, Trauma Center, Sin & Punishment 2, Elebits, Resident Evil 4, Pikmin and Pikmin 2, Pandora's Tower, Disaster Day of Crisis, Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort to the list.

You might as well say that of all 3D Zelda combat. You Z-Target, wait for the enemy to to lower their defense, and then press a button.

With Skyward Sword you couldn't just stand there all day with your shield up like in previous games. You had to actively time your blocks to avoid damaging your shield. Also enemy AI patterns and the amount of attacks for you to choose from were increased. Plus you had choices of shields, and in a really smart move they gave you a reason to want to go back to wooden shields over metal shields. All in all it was a great improvement over combat of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess where you'd have to be absolutely terrible to even get hit by an enemy and if they did you'd take half a heart most of the time.

This was my analysis of the size of the map back when the Game Awards footage came out: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=142644379&postcount=133

Someone based their estimate on taking Aonuma at his word that it would take 5 minutes to reach their destination, even though they were no longer heading toward the same destination they were heading for earlier. I based mine on the actual speed Link was crossing the map and an estimated speed of how fast Epona would be. If Epona could run a straight flat path between two diagonal corners of the map I'd say it'd take about 30 minutes to cross that distance.

Mory Dunz

You might as well say that of all 3D Zelda combat. You Z-Target, wait for the enemy to to lower their defense, and then press a button.

With Skyward Sword you couldn't just stand there all day with your shield up like in previous games. You had to actively time your blocks to avoid damaging your shield. Also enemy AI patterns and the amount of attacks for you to choose from were increased. Plus you had choices of shields, and in a really smart move they gave you a reason to want to go back to wooden shields over metal shields. All in all it was a great improvement over combat of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess where you'd have to be absolutely terrible to even get hit by an enemy and if they did you'd take half a heart most of the time.

it's been 5 years.
they don't want to learn

Shiggy

Am I the only person who played the entire game without a shield? (apart from the section where you were forced to use it as it was just introduced)

Simbabbad

You might as well say that of all 3D Zelda combat.
Nope. Enemies in Skyward Sword are never ending tutorials, they behave like they're drugged and want you to hit them, they take ages to themselves hit and always take unnatural pauses as blatant hints. They have zero aggressiveness, they never ever attack in groups and instead wait in line for you to kill them. Combat is also entirely static, you don't need to move at all in most of them. I've never ever seen enemies in any other video game that want so much the player to kill them. There is no other game where enemies seem to say "OK, now it's your time to strike" that much. Meanwhile, what's the benefit?

And all this was done by design because the Wiimote spent its time decalibrating, and couldn't differentiate a strike from repositioning.

All in all it was a great improvement over combat of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess...
::pukes::

Skyward Sword doesn't have "combat", it has very slow games of Simon Says. They managed to make motion control combat "work", and by doing so proved how worthless a concept it was. No wonder nobody in the team wanted to do it, and it had to be imposed by Iwata to advertise Wii Motion+. And I happen to love motion controls, BTW - when they make sense.

it's been 5 years.
they don't want to learn
Learn what? I never lost a fight in Skyward Sword. Is it even possible?

Peru

Nope. Enemies in Skyward Sword are never ending tutorials, they behave like they're drugged and want you to hit them, they take ages to themselves hit and always take unnatural pauses as blatant hints. They have zero aggressiveness, they never ever attack in groups and instead wait in line for you to kill them. Combat is also entirely static, you don't need to move at all in most of them. I've never ever seen enemies in any other video game that want so much the player to kill them. There is no other game where enemies seem to say "OK, now it's your time to strike" that much.

Meanwhile, what's the benefit?

To be fair every boss in every action game ever stops to say "Ok, now it's your time to strike"

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, thread title is confusing. Zelda won't be revealed until 6 PM on a Tuesday?

Aldric

Nope. Enemies in Skyward Sword are never ending tutorials, they behave like they're drugged and want you to hit them, they take ages to themselves hit and always take unnatural pauses as blatant hints. They have zero aggressiveness, they never ever attack in groups and instead wait in line for you to kill them. Combat is also entirely static, you don't need to move at all in most of them. I've never ever seen enemies in any other video game that want so much the player to kill them. There is no other game where enemies seem to say "OK, now it's your time to strike" that much. Meanwhile, what's the benefit?

And all this was done by design because the Wiimote spent its time decalibrating, and couldn't differentiate a strike from repositioning.

They do attack in group actually, which ironically completely destroys the point of the combat, as it devolves into a chaotic brawl where you beat up legions of dumb bots by flailing like a dingus as if you were playing a bad motion controlled musou game.

Diffense

The thing with Majora's Mask is its sidequests focused gameplay worked so well because of how tight and compact the world was, on top of the three days mechanic. lt made familiarizing yourself with these people, their problems, their schedule, their personality far easier. lt'd be very difficult if not impossible to reproduce this sort of feeling with the apparent structure of the upcoming game, a giant open world with linear time flow

Yep. Expecting a gigantic world with likely lots of NPCs to be like MM is not reasonable at all.

You folks are extremely literal.

This is what I said:

IMO, Majora's Mask was very forward-thinking in the way it handled NPCs and sidequests. That game leaned heavily on world building instead of a linear narrative and that approach would fit the supposedly less linear design of Zelda Wii U
I'm hopeful that the new game will be inspired by the positive aspects of past games while bringing new ideas to the table

Looking for where I said Zelda U should be exactly like Majora's Mask. Can't find it. What I did imply was that non-linear progression and linear story don't exactly fit. So if Zelda U is moving away from a a fixed order of events as Aonuma stated then it can't have a story like Twilight Princess, for example. A story consisting of multiple overlapping arcs all united by an underlying theme would make more sense and that's a whole lot closer to Majora's Mask than other 3D Zeldas.

Another excellent attirbute of Zelda:MM was how well it demonstrated the immediacy of the threat to the world. It wasn't just some villain waiting patiently for you to come to their castle; it was a menacing moon that was operating on its own schedule and could be seen from almost anywhere in the world. How could the new Zelda game bottle some of that tension without rehashing the moon concept? That's the kind of thing I'm thinking about.

takriel

It would be awesome to have a Zelda thread akin to the NX one where we collect all quotes and news concerning Zelda U up to this point. I always love reading up on this stuff, and having it in one place would be awesome.

That said, I don't know if such a thread is allowed to exist.

After watching IGN's video I went back and watched the Game Awards footage and got kind of hyped, it's going to be glorious to see actual gameplay from a direct feed.

Wait, thread title is confusing. Zelda won't be revealed until 6 PM on a Tuesday?

What timezone are you in? 6pm CEST, 5pm GMT, 9am PT.

Simbabbad

To be fair every boss in every action game ever stops to say "Ok, now it's your time to strike"
Two differences, though:

1) The time they spend like this - in Skyward Sword it's a ridiculously large time window, they spend more time waiting for your to strike without doing anything than attacking or just moving around and do it much less subtly. Compare this to, say, Monster Hunter, and it hurts.

2) Standard enemies behave that way too, not just bosses.

They do attack in group actually, which ironically completely destroys the point of the combat, as it devolves into a chaotic brawl where you beat up legions of dumb bots by flailing like a dingus as if you were playing a bad motion controlled musou game.
It's extremely rare, most of the time they patiently wait in line, precisely because groups + motion controls don't work. But yeah, the motion controls caused tons of problem without adding anything, the trade-off isn't just worth it. And having to be very careful to slow down when you reposition yourself so the game doesn't think it's a strike is one of the most annoying thing I've seen in an action game ever.

Well hold on now, red steel 2 gives it a damn good run for its money
IMO Red Steel 2 manages motion controls better than Skyward Sword, but has other issues. The plug has clearly been pulled during development, making them finish the game off in a hurry when it appeared the market wasn't there. The otherwise excellent Rabbids Go Home was a victim of the same thing. Shame, but Ubi Soft did try (too late) Wii development.

ReyVGM

Unfortunately, agreed. The only way we get something quite like that again may be the reintroduction of a time loop, and that might confuse or alienate players too much.

Not really. You can have NPCs with schedules just like MM without having a time loop. The sidequest from a character would just be done in "stages". Once you complete the 1st part of the sidequest, the NPC will just retain that position until you complete the next part.

For example, a NPC is outside her house waiting for her daughter. She asks for you to find where she is, starting the sidequest. You find out her daughter is at a lake outside town, and you tell the woman. 1st "stage" of the sidequest is done.

The woman goes to the lake, but her daughter is no longer there. You talk to her again and she asks you to find out where she went now, starting the 2nd "stage" of the sidequest. Now, let's say night comes. The woman will leave the lake, go to her house, and once morning hits, she'll go back to the lake and stay there until you solve the 2nd "stage" of the sidequest.

What I would really love is if they keep the real time aspects of the NPCs with schedules. Meaning, that if I follow someone, I will actually see them going towards another part of the map without "warping" there like most games do.

This is about what I expect too. The trailer if there is one will likely comprise what you described above in brief, minus the fullness of the intro which I'd expect to just be in the treehouse segment and not the trailer (though with treehouse, given the open world setup, they could just demo of a vertical slice of open-world exploration instead, but either way I'd expect a dungeon or a part of one or smaller one if not the intro itself, so perhaps equally spoilery). We'll see though. Who knows how the "brand new way to play" nature of this game will affect how it's shown off.

Judging by how much they showed for Xenoblade Chronicles X in trailers and the Treehouse segment, I expect for them to show the opening segments including the story intro, opening town, world, the map, and possibly the entirely of the first dungeon.

I'm alright with all of that, but just don't show the map. It probably doesn't look like the one we saw over a year ago, so I would rather have the size of the map as a surprise for when I actually play the game.

I'm alright with all of that, but just don't show the map. It probably doesn't look like the one we saw over a year ago, so I would rather have the size of the map as a surprise for when I actually play the game.

As they're pushing this as a huge open world Zelda I think the map is one of the key points they're going to stress throughout E3. I also don't think it will have changed at all from what we saw at the GA so it might not even be a 'spoiler' in any sense.

I think the size and geography of the world map is going to be one of the trumpeted "new" features so surely it will be front and center at E3.

georly

Combat in skyward sword was turned into a 'directional puzzle' and by its very nature had to be slowed down to be done that way. The enemies move and behave unnaturally likely due to testing motion controls against them. If they behaved naturally, they'd either be too responsive to fight easily or their weak points would remain mostly static and be too easy.

So, I agree it's not as thrilling to fight them as in past zelda games, but they're definitely not simpler, just more overt and slower. You couldn't do motion + puzzle combat without slowing enemies down, making semi-obvious tells, and having them come at you one-by-one. It's like that by design and because it HAD to be that way to make motion controls work. Unfortunate if that's not what you're looking for in combat in a game.

As I said, combat was some sort of puzzle this time, and that may or may not have appealed to you. For those who play zelda for the puzzle aspects, this added more 'puzzles' to the game, albeit a lot of repetitive ones. For those who play zelda for action or adventure, this may not have been as fun for you.

There are other ways to turn zelda combat into a puzzle, but most of them have been done before. Enemies having weak points or that are weak to certain items (arrow to the eye, hookshot to remove armor/shield, etc). I'd be curious how they make combat a puzzle this time. To me, stealth games are puzzle combat with the downside of 'waiting/hiding.' MGSV had good puzzle combat where gunfights were what you resorted to if you failed the sneaking puzzle. That's one possible approach for Zelda U - an enemy camp where you need to sneakily take out the enemies without being noticed or some sort of downside. Maybe they have a treasure chest and if you trigger the alarm, the chest burns and you don't get the extra rupees.

The two combat encounters we've seen so far involve using a special item on an enemy weak point (magic arrow on rock tektite) and a standard 'shoot enemy until it dies' scenario which is standard zelda trash-mob fare. I'd love if we had other, fresher enemy encounters.

Kikorin

If the world is really big, I hope they put in some key cities and a lot of smaller ones to make the map dense, also a lot of interesting places to explore, optional armors,weapons, items, ecc... I only hope they don't make only a huge and empty world.

ReyVGM

I also don't think it will have changed at all from what we saw at the GA so it might not even be a 'spoiler' in any sense.

I am 99% sure the map will be different. I mean, death mountain will still be to the north and the lakes/sea to the right/bottom. But the layout, roads, rivers, forests, towns, etc. will be different. Have you seen how much Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess changed from when they were first shown to what the final product looked like?

There's a perpetual dense forest they keep showing in early Zelda games that ends up being removed for the final game. I hope they finally get to add that in this time around.

There's a perpetual dense forest they keep showing in early Zelda games that ends up being removed for the final game. I hope they finally get to add that in this time around.

Uuuggnnn, you're not the only one.

Although, they apparently called the slightly wooded area in the demo video 'dense', so I'm not holding my breath to hard.

I am 99% sure the map will be different. I mean, death mountain will still be to the north and the lakes/sea to the right/bottom. But the layout, roads, rivers, forests, towns, etc. will be different. Have you seen how much Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess changed from when they were first shown to what the final product looked like?

I assumed you meant size and general locations. Things would have definitely have changed but we haven't really seen much of the map for it to really matter.

RomanceDawn

It is coop

I've been expecting co-op since 2013:

bp112_1358992383.png

From pages ago this!

I feel like we are going to get some meaningful co-op but not like a Mario 3D World free for all. I'm thinking a 2 player only type of system. Maybe boy Link and girl Link with similar abilities but honestly I have a feeling it's going to be asymmetric. Link is controlled just as he always had with the gamepad or something with a little helper thing(fairy/animal/spirit etc) controlling in a much different way but still very meaningful. Think the Tingle Tuner or Galaxy 2's multiplayer but with the 2nd player actually controlling something they can see, fight and solve puzzles with.

If I could be a fairy(of meaningful size) or dragon(Mushu like?) that follows Link around picking up items, attacking bad guys and really making a difference in gameplay and puzzles I would be over the moon!

No, let me be Link's trusty owl buddy!

MrGoomba

Started playing TPHD hero mode with Ganondorf amiibo and the game is really more fun with the difficult up. I had to use money to buy bottles of red potion and even died for the first time at the first temple boss. I really hope nintendo adds a similar option for the new Zelda.

About the controls, i played TP on wii multiple times but never on GC. So It felt a little strange playing it on the gamepad. I loved SS controls and I would like nintendo to continue with 1:1 sword play. It was really fun to use the shield with the nunckuck and fight the stalfos. Maybe NX will have an advanced wiimote!? I hope so

Nightbird

How likely is it that we might get a release date, considering that it might be a launch game for the NX and that Nintendo is keeping everything NX-related under wraps currently?

Top Bottom