• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: "we're preparing more than you could possibly ever, ever, ever expect..."

Tritroid

Finally, no discussion of TP's enemies can end without mentioning Ganon. I know that everyone's wondering what's going on with Link's old nemesis. All I can say now is, we're preparing more than you could possibly ever, ever, ever expect..." That's the quote by Yoshiyuki Oyama that is going to get people all hyped up again. After months of pretty much nothing sense the remarks about a possible "unhappy" ending in Twilight Princess, Nintendo Power's interview finally discloses something new.

I'll be interested to see how they explain the events that happened in between OoT and WW, if that's still the time-frame that TP takes place in as originally hinted at.

Wind Waker's backstory was great (especially how they tied in OoT), but there was such a huge chunk missing in the retelling which left a lot of events unexplained. If TP fills in the missing chunk, and explains how Ganon broke the seal on the sacred realm and managed to escape setting up the events in Wind Waker (The gods choosing to flood Hyrule, etc.), I'll be really happy. :) And that could be the 'unhappy' ending that was hinted at.

Unison

If you want Zelda games to be hard, don't break every pot every time you get hurt to refill your heart meter.

If you want Zelda games to be hard, go into areas without refilling your medicine and fairies.

Seriously, it is what you make of it.

Please...

Zelda: TP is nowhere near vaporware (and neither is Mario 128).

Even if they were, and had been for years, they'd still be blown away by the most aptly named game in history: Duke Nukem FOREVER.

Vieo

lol?

Zelda_controller.jpg

SantaC

Bob White said:
Just take the stupid "block everything and more" shield away and stop giving us four fucking bottles that we can fill with fairies.

um if you dont want 4 bottles, just dont do the sidequests. You often get 1 bottle by default, but the other 3 are found through different sidequests...

I can't wait for Zelda TP, it's my most anticipated game ever!

Zilch

Banned
For example, let's say you've just beaten a small enemy. Later on, you should possibly meet with the same kind of foe but larger. If you continue to beat those, you should eventually meet up with a massive version of the creatures.

Sounds cool. Has this been done in a Zelda game before?

SantaC

marvelharvey said:
Sort of

In Oot, if you killed a few skeletons in Hyrule Field, a larger would appear.

yeah you're correct, however this time it seems that the enemies will grow bigger each time.

ziran

Enjoyed reading the article. Oyama is a really talented guy, especially creating Prof. E Gadd. Gadd in Mario Kart DS would've been great, maybe the Rev version, and hopefully SSB Rev.

With TP it sounds like Nintendo will actually top OoT, they're certainly going for it :)

Drakken said:
I share this sentiment. Honestly, it's probably a case where most people who played LA first feel that's better, and most people who played LttP first feel that's better. LttP is a solid game, no doubt, but I didn't get the same magical feeling from LttP that I got from LA. Everything in LA was perfect, imo. LttP seemed like old hat to me (perhaps it wouldn't have had I played it before LA). Iirc, I didn't continue past the 4th dungeon, due to being bored.

Oh, also, most of LA's music was great and original, whereas LttP's was good, but standard Zelda music - one of the reasons LttP was less interesting.

Link to the Past was my first Zelda, and I can't recall if I played Awakening or Ocarina next, but I pretty much hold these three Zeldas as my favorites. I don't think Awakening is better than Link to the Past, or vice versa, just different in good ways. I also disagree about Past's music, because it does have a lot of original music, and even the old themes have neat takes on them. :D

SantaCruZer said:
yeah you're correct, however this time it seems that the enemies will grow bigger each time.

Hopefully, this is what will make the game more challenging. If you go around making easy pickings of the small fry, trying to gain some hearts from fallen enemies, they'll just get bigger and bigger until they slaughter you.

I live in hope.

Madrin

"All I can say now is, we're preparing more than you could possibly ever, ever, ever expect..."
I can't imagine this being anything other than being able to play Ganon.

Man, I can't wait for this game. I really, really think this will top OoT. Nintendo can take all the time they want to make this game perfect.

Xdrive05

At the very least they should make optional dungeons that are a lot harder than the regular ones. Think Gerudo Training Grounds or something, but with harder difficulty. Maybe four of them on top of the regular quest would satisfy those of us who want a real challenge. And it would be nice if the enemies did at least twice the damage they did in WW and be harder to parry.

It's ridiculous how many replies a thread like this gets. Hardcore gamers just can't fucking wait for this game. We've been waiting for this all generation. Myself included.

SantaC

Zerodoppler said:
That would not make a lick of sense.

it could be possible. Maybe Ganondorf will team up with Link in the end in order to defeat an even bigger threat.

you played as bowser in mario rpg :p

Reading "we're preparing more than you could possibly, ever, ever, ever expect.." does not excite me.

It makes me think "what? are these just empty words to create hype? release more media or actual information. All in all - I'd like less talking and more completion. Bring the fucking game out."

What does sound good is his confidence in the monsters and the increased difficulty. I'm still skeptical the game will confound Zelda veterans for anything like the 100 hours that keeps getting banded around, but being tougher on the ol' hearts than Wind Waker was is no bad thing at all.

This game has had long enough. If it isn't 110% perfect, OoT loving Celda haters will never hear the end of it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Something fishy is going on. Because prior to E3, we were getting almost regular picture releases (in small quantities) interviews left and right, and we've had what, 4 trailers?

And then a huge showing at E3... small bits of info... then NOTHING.

Biiiiiiiig 0. Not even it mentioned, really, other thant he delay.

I mean, I'm not saying this thing is going Revo or whatever...

but what COULD they be doing?? yeesh

Thaedolus

Gold Member
John Harker said:
Something fishy is going on. Because prior to E3, we were getting almost regular picture releases (in small quantities) interviews left and right, and we've had what, 4 trailers?

FIRST PERSON ADVENTURE!!!!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Vieo said:
I'll buy that in a second.

Nintendo stop with the fucking cocktease, release some images or something better yet release the game already.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
John Harker said:

Wait, what? After the first E3 trailer, we didn't get jack shit except 3 new pics (yes, I remember this completely) till GDC, where we saw the 2nd trailer, and then a week before E3 where EGM did the TP exclusive.

I'll have to say that this seems like the most ambitious game ever. Why? Well, when you're trying to surpass arguably the greatest game of all time (OoT), well, what else could it be?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Oblivion said:
Wait, what? After the first E3 trailer, we didn't get jack shit except 3 new pics (yes, I remember this completely) till GDC, where we saw the 2nd trailer, and then a week before E3 where EGM did the TP exclusive.

I'll have to say that this seems like the most ambitious game ever. Why? Well, when you're trying to surpass arguably the greatest game of all time (OoT), well, what else could it be?

Magazines were doing entire spreads with news info and pictures. In small bursts. Then... nothing.

I'm starting to lean toward voice acting.
I feel like enough journalists complained/wrote articles about the lack of voice acting, and how it makes Zelda "falling behind the times" (not my words) and so forth, that Nintendo finally decided to go for it. That's reasonable, and are def. "new elements" for a Zelda game.

Though I'm not saying that's all their adding, but it's certainly what I'm leaning towards believing.

conker

Banned
Meh. Voice acting is overrated. And it can totally ruin an old IP.

I just want Nintendo to make this a Rev launch title, and not some half assed GC game with Rev features.

=W=

SantaCruZer said:
it could be possible. Maybe Ganondorf will team up with Link in the end in order to defeat an even bigger threat.

you played as bowser in mario rpg :p
I am really glad you and Madrin are not making this game.

:p

Mugen

Banned
If Zelda too easy for you guys, dun get the Heart if you beat the Dungeon Boss.

So basically you have 3 hearts throughout the game which is quite the challenge.

Originally posted by:Mugen
If Zelda too easy for you guys, dun get the Heart if you beat the Dungeon Boss.

So basically you have 3 hearts throughout the game which is quite the challenge.

Well technically, each time you defeat the main dungeon boss you gained a heart.

Oblivion

Jade Knight 08 said:
Originally posted by:Mugen

Well technically, each time you defeat the main dungeon boss you gained a heart.

Uh..you didn't have to go pick it up. It would still stay there if you just went to the portal. :p

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Oblivion said:
Uh..you didn't have to go pick it up. It would still stay there if you just went to the portal. :p
I forgot to collect the heart container the first time around in Zelda OoT's first dungeon (after defeating Gohma) - it was the last heart container I got in the game ^^.

Originally posted by:Oblivion

Oh... right. my bad! Even though i never tried that. oops :D

Well, it's been tooooo looonnnnggg since i played zelda: WW/FSA.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'd prefer a game where you're compelled to find every last heart container because the difficulty makes it necessary. It didn't even feel like an accomplishment when I found a heart piece in TWW because I didn't even need them. Eventually, I didn't even bother looking for them anymore.

Oblivion

Link said:
I'd prefer a game where you're compelled to find every last heart container because the difficulty makes it necessary. It didn't even feel like an accomplishment when I found a heart piece in TWW because I didn't even need them. Eventually, I didn't even bother looking for them anymore.

Well, for me, I never really collected the heart pieces to get stronger, but rather to say "I got all the heart pieces". I looked at getting them as sidequests more than anything else.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Oblivion said:
Well, for me, I never really collected the heart pieces to get stronger, but rather to say "I got all the heart pieces". I looked at getting them as sidequests more than anything else.
Sure, but I'd rather feel like the sidequest has more merit than to just be a completist.

Top Bottom