• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: "we're preparing more than you could possibly ever, ever, ever expect..."

Tritroid

John Harker said:
Something fishy is going on. Because prior to E3, we were getting almost regular picture releases (in small quantities) interviews left and right, and we've had what, 4 trailers?

And then a huge showing at E3... small bits of info... then NOTHING.

Biiiiiiiig 0. Not even it mentioned, really, other thant he delay.

I mean, I'm not saying this thing is going Revo or whatever...

but what COULD they be doing?? yeesh
hah, yeah. The last time something like this happened, we had a spaceworld trailer followed by tidbits of new details followed nothing....and then the cel-shaded bomb fell. :lol

I doubt it'll be something that extreme since Nintendo knows they lost quite a few fans on the Wind Waker endeavor, but there could be some big alterations before the game finally releases.
it could be possible. Maybe Ganondorf will team up with Link in the end in order to defeat an even bigger threat.

you played as bowser in mario rpg :p
No thanks, I wouldn't like that at all. Playing bowser in Mario RPG is a little different, since that entire series rarely has a serious tone they can pretty much do anything they like with the characters...but Zelda is different imo. I just can't imagine a credible reason for Ganon to team up with Link, after all that's been built up over the decades.

John Harker said:
Hey, Zelda: TP and Mario 128 in the biggest Vaporware Battle of all time!
Zelda: TP is not vaporware. We have seen pictures, watched videos, and played demos of the game.

Mario 128, that is vaporware. It can battle with Duke Nukem Forever.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
We got new screens 5 months ago, it's not particularly unusual for Nintendo to go a long time without showing anything new.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
You could possibly play as Ganon during his part of the story. I wouldn't mind breaking into Hyrule Castle, using my strength and powers against weakling guards, and then doing things to Zelda before kidnapping her. Unlikely but.

Perhaps Ganon and Link swap bodies during the course of the game, then Ganon goes around causing havoc in your body while you have to put up with everyone attacking you because you look like Ganon.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
WordAssassin said:
Zelda: TP is not vaporware. We have seen pictures, watched videos, and played demos of the game.

Mario 128, that is vaporware. It can battle with Duke Nukem Forever.

It becaaaaaaaaaaaame vaporeware.

Vanished like a Boo in a flashlight!

Straight as 6:00, no joke.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Roders5 said:
Perhaps Ganon and Link swap bodies during the course of the game, then Ganon goes around causing havoc in your body while you have to put up with everyone attacking you because you look like Ganon.
Ugh, no thanks. That sounds like it should be an episode of the cartoon series.

Duderz

Banned
I cannot wait for this game.

We need screens. We need updates. We've been out of the dark on this game for close to 6 months.

What could Nintendo possibly be doing?

Zelda TP is my most anticipated game that has been announced, not counting games that I wish would be made.

I cannot fucking wait. but probably wont play Zelda TP until September, a few months before Revolution's release. sigh.

Roders5 said:
You could possibly play as Ganon during his part of the story. I wouldn't mind breaking into Hyrule Castle, using my strength and powers against weakling guards, and then doing things to Zelda before kidnapping her. Unlikely but.

Alright, seriously, where did this "Zelda gets raped" rumor start up, anyway? It seems way out of the realm of possibility for a Nintendo title, unless they only vaguely implied it, and even then, I just can't see it happening. Miyamoto at one point thought an earring made Link too adult, I can't imagine that with his level of control, he'd allow a game out with one of his big princesses being defiled, even if it's a well-written plot.

Is it just a running joke at this point, or do some people seriously believe that it's going to happen?

More of Ganon... OK, you go undercover, becoming his trained attack dog, in order to learn where the pieces of the Triforce are. :p

Owzers

O gee i can't wait to regather all the items and triforce pieces that I already did in Wind Waker. Maybe there will be another crazy-long boring fetch quest to accomplish this too, because as we all know...fetch quests rock. Prediction on boss battle : Aim for the eye! :lol

Jeff-DSA

sillymonkey321 said:
O gee i can't wait to regather all the items and triforce pieces that I already did in Wind Waker. Maybe there will be another crazy-long boring fetch quest to accomplish this too, because as we all know...fetch quests rock. Prediction on boss battle : Aim for the eye! :lol

Thanks for your contribution!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
sillymonkey321 said:

Haha. That was rather clever. :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Regarding the interviewee's comments on Ganon, I wouldn't be surprised if his character is greatly fleshed out. They took satisfyingly significant steps (for the series) in "humanizing" Ganondorf towards the end of Wind Waker. His shadowy motives were finally given rather believable, human credibility.

marvelharvey said:
Sort of

In Oot, if you killed a few skeletons in Hyrule Field, a larger one would appear.

Not just the Stalfos, but the Keese (bat/bird/things) as well. Possibly the Wolfos as well? I forget.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The fact that they use the word 'ever' no less than three times leads me to concude that it can't be anything but holograms.

John Harker

Ditty on the hatrd of fetch quests.

Hey, maybe the "amazing new elements" is a Zelda game without collectathons and backtracking!

I'd say wow

John Harker

Mama Smurf said:
What do you mean without backtracking?

Well, I just mean it in a sense that you have to keep collecting pieces of tri force and what not from places you've already been, and the ONLY reason to go back there is just to get a damn item they should have given you in the first place.

Mama Smurf

John Harker said:
Well, I just mean it in a sense that you have to keep collecting pieces of tri force and what not from places you've already been, and the ONLY reason to go back there is just to get a damn item they should have given you in the first place.

Oh alright then, good. I though I'd better ask before I had a big go at you for wanting Zelda to be a different game entirely ;)

John Harker

Mama Smurf said:
Oh alright then, good. I though I'd better ask before I had a big go at you for wanting Zelda to be a different game entirely ;)

Heaven forbid.

Just some small tweaks.

Hell, I LOOOOVED the demo when I played it at E3.
I was interviews on FILTER about it.

I just want the damn thing, ya know?
Sure, take a number.

Pakkidis

Could the new feature be...oh I dunno...an actual story!. Can we have more character depth than simply one or two lines detailing where the character is from and what there motives are. How about a story where the princess isn't captured and needs to be saved. How about a story where I have a bit more dialogue choices rather than "yes/no".

I love zelda but the one area where it lacks in, is its story.

Link

The Autumn Wind
John Harker said:
Have you only played Wind Waker? Because no other Zelda did this.

Wind Waker's backtracking felt slightly different than previous 3d entries from what i picked up.

Zelda was about exploring and finding places just on your path.. thinking 'ahhh.. can't get there yet' and later on remembering it once you got the right weapon tool. This is rewarding because even though the game held your hand somewhat, you feel as though you did it!

But with Wind Waker .. whether it was the ocean that did this to the game or what, i don't know - but it just points u in the direction of places and tells you to go there. I couldn't be assed checking out every island on the bloody map until i was told to - so the experience might be different for some.

But it's more frustrating when it tells you to go somewhere, only to tell you to go somewhere else, then again somewhere else! The Jabun bit is a good example of this - and especially after that crap, the lack of a dungeon (he just GIVES the pearl to you - wtf) really threw the game out of whack for me. I never felt like i 'FOUND' something if you know what i mean.

It's still great mind you :)

Mama Smurf

Pakkidis said:
How about a story where the princess isn't captured and needs to be saved.

Well it's not like this has always been the storyline.

Personally that storyline is fine by me. I mean, it's not like you can't do different things with it, OoT and WW don't have the same storyline at all, but could both be described as the princess being captured (if very late on in WW) and needing to be saved.

I'm much happier when videogame stories do something simple and execute it well. I would love a game to be able to provide a stunning story, but I've yet to play one that isn't laughable compared to even the average book or movie (talking about games which are actually trying to compete). Some games are a bit more detailed and delibrately cheesy, but I don't mind that as it gives it a B movie sort of feel. It's when they're really trying that I can't stand it.

Zelda's actually a good example of a simple, but well executed storyline. Whether it's MM, LA or OoT, it's all very simple and can be described in a paragraph no problem, but can leave quite the emotional impact.

Though like I say, if someone can get it right for once*, I'm all for it.

*maybe someone has, I haven't played every game ever

Link

The Autumn Wind
Mama Smurf said:
I would love a game to be able to provide a stunning story, but I've yet to play one that isn't laughable compared to even the average book or movie (talking about games which are actually trying to compete).
You should check out the MGS series, particularly MGS3.

Mama Smurf

I'm waiting for Subsistence, but I will check it out.

Check out 3 I mean. I've played the other ones already and...yeah, well, the less said the better.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Aww, c'mon. I'll give you that MGS2's story got quite ridiculous, but MGS's story was well told. Sure, it may have been somewhat generic, but it was still very enjoyable and kept you guessing with believable plot twists.

Johnas

Link said:
Aww, c'mon. I'll give you that MGS2's story got quite ridiculous, but MGS's story was well told. Sure, it may have been somewhat generic, but it was still very enjoyable and kept you guessing with believable plot twists.

MGS3=Best ending of a game this gen.

MGS ending not bad either.

Mama Smurf

My problem is I can't help but compare it to stories in general. In my head, as soon as I can tell that a game is actually trying to tell a proper story, it's up against all the movies and TV shows I've ever seen, all the books I've read.

If I read a book with most game stories, it would be, without a doubt, the worst book I've ever read. Looking at it the other way, the worst books I've ever read have stories which would be touted as a major selling point in a game, people would claim it's the best story ever told, knwoing gamers.

Games can compete with movies a bit more...but not really. I mean I can put a movie by a game and say the game has a better storyline, but that's because the movie is Die Hard or something and the story doesn't even matter.

I always use the example of Eternal Darkness. I don't think there's ever been a game stroyline more hyped up, particularly when it comes to bring great storytelling to games. I'm not going through the whole list of problems I have with it again (I've done it like 3 times on this forum already), but Dennis Dyack is either high or clueless. Trying to compare his work to Shakespeare was just...oh and I remember on the IGN boards him responding to some kid who wanted to know if he liked these fantasy series, and he said he was a big fan and that's the sort of thing they were after. Now for a start they got nowhere near those books, but more hilariously they were series that fantasy fans laugh at for their cliches and poor writing style, and despair at the masses that lap them up. So I guess he was just clueless.

Like I say though, I haven't played all the games out there. I was reading a Suikoden topic recently and there was stuff about the storyline being different and full of political intrigue and things, but I've never played any of those games so I'm tempted by them.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Pakkidis said:
Could the new feature be...oh I dunno...an actual story!. Can we have more character depth than simply one or two lines detailing where the character is from and what there motives are. How about a story where the princess isn't captured and needs to be saved. How about a story where I have a bit more dialogue choices rather than "yes/no".

I love zelda but the one area where it lacks in, is its story.

Damn, I disagree with everything you said. Can't speak for every Zelda game, but LttP, Ocarina and probably even WW had excellent stories. Just because they're simplistic doesn't mean they're not good. The most amazing accomplishment is how well the stories are executed imo.

Oblivion said:
Damn, I disagree with everything you said. Can't speak for every Zelda game, but LttP, Ocarina and probably even WW had excellent stories. Just because they're simplistic doesn't mean they're not good. The most amazing accomplishment is how well the stories are executed imo.

Gotta agree with his statement. Just because a story is complex does not make it good. Especially in a new media such as video games.

I feel it is more of how it is presented, how the game can evoke emotional responses. I would rate Ocarina's story above most complex RPGs, just because I remember it so well.

Especially if you look at something like Shadow of the Colossus, and how it manages to tell a story and make most players feel guilt, even though there is hardly any traditional story-telling.

AniHawk

Bob White said:
Just take the stupid "block everything and more" shield away and stop giving us four fucking bottles that we can fill with fairies.

Also

MM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> All other zeldas (Shit MM might be one of the grestest games of all time)

edit :
"Maybe it has to do with LA literally being a dreamworld."

Funny, thats one of the reason I think majora is so great. It was all so dream like

I haven't really thought about it until now. Both MM and LA were fantasy worlds, but they were also fantasy worlds to Link. I think, because it's so foreign to the adventurer (even a mute one), it's even more foreign to us.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Have Nintendo denied the rumours that Zelda: TP could be a Rev title or is there still a possibilty?

AniHawk

:lol :lol :lol

First time I've seen it from that source.

"WWWOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! OOOOOOOHHHHH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH! OH MY GOSH!"

"WHO'S THE MAN? WHO'S THE MAN!?!"

:lol

Man. I remember that day so clearly. Even though I wasn't at E3 (yet), it took all my effort not to shout out in excitement at school. So exciting.

They never gave TWW this sort of attention. The unveiling of TP was absolutely perfect. The way I had envisioned it (and I had been thinking about the best way to unveil a more realistic looking Zelda months earlier (however, my version would've been cel-shaded with this kind of art)).

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I've still got a feeling that we will see Zelda: TP on revolution. It would be the best move Nintendo could make. This generation is over, they ended up in 3rd place and they are not going to be selling many more GC units now that we are entering the new generation. Nintendo should concentrate on Revo and make sure that they can put up a proper fight. Zelda: TP would be a fantastic launch title and will guarantee fantastic launch sales.

Top Bottom