• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: "we're preparing more than you could possibly ever, ever, ever expect..."

SofaKing

Hates all things good and decent in this world
it is getting alittle old with Ganon, but u are right. i think if they are going to keep Ganon, they should bring another bad guy or 2 in that can have them team up.
Link against the odds, the true villian Ganon with 2 underlings.... awesomeness

conker

Banned
Saying it's getting old with Ganon is like saying it's getting old with Link.

I actually find Ganon to be the most intriguing character - he's been the same in all of them, whereas we've had different generations of Links and Zeldas.

Ganon kicks ass.

I'd like to see him WIN.

Shit what if Nintendo pulled this -
Play it on GC, get the dark, Ganon wins ending.
Play it on Rev, and you can continue from that, and get a good ending.

Oh snap.

conker said:
Saying it's getting old with Ganon is like saying it's getting old with Link.

I actually find Ganon to be the most intriguing character - he's been the same in all of them, whereas we've had different generations of Links and Zeldas.

Ganon kicks ass.

I'd like to see him WIN.

Oh snap.

That would fucking own. Damn I can't wait for this game to come out just so we can finally know what happens at the end of the game. This is the first time I've ever been hyped for the story in a Zelda game.

Link said:
Don is still around, but he prefers to not openly tell people who he is, and I'll respect that wish.

Who were you back on NN?

Not sure if i remember, probably 'kurdt_the_goat' or similar...
didn't post much though, mainly lurked. I seem to remember dr gakman and windyman from there - and for some reason i'm associating shikamaru/ead ninja with NNDon but i don't know why :)

conker

Banned
In my mind, there is only 1 thing (that has a decent chance of happening) that can break this game.

T I N G L E

Has it been CONFIRMED that he is NOT in it?

conker said:
Ganon kicks ass.

I'd like to see him WIN.

Oh snap.

man that would fucking rock.

Revolution to kill Ganon, FTW :D

conker

Banned
Or make the end battle an (nearly) impossibly hard sword fight.

Lose, bad ending.
Win, good ending.

Of course, the Revmote will let you own any sword fight...

Jiggy

Oblivion said:
Nintendo's an anomaly. They're obviously greedy, yet they want to leech off our money in other less effective ways, like ports, instead of real sequels to games that they know people would want (Mario platformers and SSB).
I think it comes down to the developers. Miyamoto and Sakurai both seem incredibly reluctant to do games that seem even vaguely similar to their predecessors without having either a brand new game-changing gimmick (Yoshi in SMW, 3D in SM64, FLUDD in SMS) or just an insane amount more stuff than the previous game (SSBM's trophies, different modes, more than double the characters, more than three times the levels).

conker said:
In my mind, there is only 1 thing (that has a decent chance of happening) that can break this game.

T I N G L E

Has it been CONFIRMED that he is NOT in it?

I'm not sure it's 'confirmed', but I recall Aonuma saying something about people not liking him, and he wouldn't fit in in this game, or something like that...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Leondexter said:
I'm not sure it's 'confirmed', but I recall Aonuma saying something about people not liking him, and he wouldn't fit in in this game, or something like that...
Aonuma needs to read GAF more because quite clearly there is a major fandom in existence here.

{Mike}

Banned
You got it all wrong. Here's the true story behind Twilight Princess :

Ganon kidnapped Zelda and she's pregnant of him. When you kill Ganon at the end of the game, the baby suddenly burst from the stomach of Zelda, Alien-style. Then,
it casts lvl 30 Cel-shaping, transforming the world into a Cel-shaded one. The gods, disgusted
by such a move, decide to flood the world, killing Link and everyone else. Then starts WW.

:lol

Note : first post here. Hi to you.

Furoba

{Mike} said:
You got it all wrong. Here's the true story behind Twilight Princess :

Ganon kidnapped Zelda and she's pregnant of him. When you kill Ganon at the end of the game, the baby suddenly burst from the stomach of Zelda, Alien-style. Then,
it casts lvl 30 Cel-shaping, transforming the world into a Cel-shaded one. The gods, disgusted
by such a move, decide to flood the world, killing Link and everyone else. Then starts WW.

:lol

Note : first post here. Hi to you.

I am guessing Ganon might not be the only villain in the game... What about Vaati and/or a new appearance? If only King Ganondorf had an evil queen. ^^

Screw the news on Ganondorf. We all know it's going to be great in that regard.

It's the challenge level that is the real news here. There was perhaps one really challenging part in all of The Wind Waker. One. That is completely unacceptable.

If they can get the challenge level closer to A Link to the Past, where you're actually nervous about surviving a run through a dungeon, then we'll be in business. My fingers are crossed so hard they're getting numb.

the androgyne said:
Not sure if i remember, probably 'kurdt_the_goat' or similar...
didn't post much though, mainly lurked. I seem to remember dr gakman and windyman from there - and for some reason i'm associating shikamaru/ead ninja with NNDon but i don't know why :)

You forgotten me? ;-)

Ah NN days.. who can forget NGAMER!! And Fei and Reno are other ppl I remember. Reno posts here I think.

Cannot wait for Zelda. I'm going to book days off work when this comes out!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
They have to switch up Link's fighting style to something more God of War or DMC. Bit of depth, fluidity and comboing etc.

Would like to see some areas where it changes from the few enemies at a time, lock on fighting to just a swarm of critters where you just go berserk with combos etc.

Should be able to learn moves and certain button combos to pull off stuff.

Battles should allow weapon switching which is more like DMC.

{Mike}

Banned
I think it's better if TP remains true to the Zelda franchise. It don't needs to copy other games, but it is true that it would benefit from a little combat style overhaul.

Ristamar

kaizoku said:
They have to switch up Link's fighting style to something more God of War or DMC. Bit of depth, fluidity and comboing etc.

Would like to see some areas where it changes from the few enemies at a time, lock on fighting to just a swarm of critters where you just go berserk with combos etc.

Should be able to learn moves and certain button combos to pull off stuff.

Battles should allow weapon switching which is more like DMC.

While I wouldn't be surprised if the swordplay in TP is beefed up, I sincerely doubt we'll ever see something as extreme as you've proposed. I don't think Nintendo wants to make Zelda a hardcore action title (nor should they, IMO).

ant1532

Banned
I think at the end, Link is going to have to make a choice whether to save Zelda or save hyrule from Ganon flooding it, and he chooses Zelda, which explains how there are descendents of Link and Zelda still in wind waker.

Isn't the game supposed to be confirmed to happen after Wind Waker? I know they said otherwise at the start, but you know...

I'm hoping they at least fill in some of the blanks. I don't need to play the post-Majora's Mask time-frame, but at least tell me who the fuck Link was looking for in that game.

Personally, I'd much rather the game take place before Wind Waker. There's just much more for the game to say and do then.

*edit* I found this quote on IGN from E3

"In the first level, called simply Toaru Village, we are introduced to the character of Link. Nintendo revealed that Toaru Village is a small retreat just outside of Hyrule According to the game's director, which Nintendo revealed today is none other than Eiji Aonuma, the hero in the adventure is an all-new Link. The storyline in Twilight Princess takes place chronologically decades after The Ocarina of Time, but before Wind Waker."

So you're right :)

ant1532

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Personally, I'd much rather the game take place before Wind Waker. There's just much more for the game to say and do then.

*edit* I found this quote on IGN from E3

"In the first level, called simply Toaru Village, we are introduced to the character of Link. Nintendo revealed that Toaru Village is a small retreat just outside of Hyrule According to the game's director, which Nintendo revealed today is none other than Eiji Aonuma, the hero in the adventure is an all-new Link. The storyline in Twilight Princess takes place chronologically decades after The Ocarina of Time, but before Wind Waker."

So you're right :)

thanks, I knew i heard that in a gamespot video, so im watching them right now. I'll post when found.

StRaNgE

Banned
ant1532 said:
I think at the end, Link is going to have to make a choice whether to save Zelda or save hyrule from Ganon flooding it, and he chooses Zelda, which explains how there are descendents of Link and Zelda still in wind waker.

if done right, that could be pretty epic!!!

AniHawk

ant1532 said:

Ganon doesn't flood Hyrule. Hyrule was flooded so Ganon couldn't control it.

Pakkidis

my thoughts would be you control Link and beat the game and see how the story unfolds and then you play as Gannon and play the game through from his perspective. Then play as zelda and beat the game through her story and at the end every character meets up to conclude the final story.

methodman

Banned
Pakkidis said:
my thoughts would be you control Link and beat the game and see how the story unfolds and then you play as Gannon and play the game through from his perspective. Then play as zelda and beat the game through her story and at the end every character meets up to conclude the final story.

I really don't think they'd do that. You'd go through the same dungeons with the three different characters just to finish the game? Nah.

dkeane

John Harker said:
is that really... - new - video?

i can't watch it for some reason
Looks new, really crappy, and not long at all.

I wish they'd just give a released date for this game. Even if it's November, just please let me know Nintendo.

EDIT: Hmmm now the video isn't working for me either.

Tritroid

ant1532 said:
thats the end of wind waker. I'm talking about its first flooding
Ganon didn't flood Hyrule then either.

The gods flooded Hyrule in order to prevent the land and its people from be completely taken over and eventually destroyed by Ganon. The intention was to give Hyrule a fresh start after the Imprisoning War and the possibility of that happening all over again with the Hero of Time back in his own time period.

What I'll be interested in is how they explain the lack of any and all references to this Hero after OoT in WW. According to the WW lore, there was no hero to stand up to Ganon once he somehow broke the Sacred Realm's seal and returned to Hyrule...so if they're planning on keeping the current timeline going (ignoring all the games prior to OoT), I hope they come up with a good way to explain that. :lol

conker

Banned
ant1532 said:

Why?
There are no descendants of Link or Zelda.

There has been nothing implying they've had children.

There are new Links and Zeldas, but they are not their descendants.
It's more of a Triforce chooses this person / spirit type of thing.

Tritroid

conker said:
Why?
There are no descendants of Link or Zelda.

There has been nothing implying they've had children.

There are new Links and Zeldas, but they are not their descendants.
It's more of a Triforce chooses this person / spirit type of thing.
You're right, partially.

In Wind Waker, there's a scene with Jabun where the King of Red Lions says that the Link he has with him has no connection to the 'legendary one'. The legendary one being the Hero of Time, so there's no blood connection there between the two Links.

Zelda/Tetra, on the other hand, is a blood descendant of the royal family. She is the last member of the Zelda blood line, which is why she has a fragment of the Triforce of Wisdom. Tetra's mother, who passed the Triforce fragment down to Tetra, was also a member of this blood line though not identified as 'Zelda'. She could possibly be the Zelda that appears in Twilight Princess, or there could be another Zelda in between TP's Zelda and Tetra...we'll have to wait and see.

BTW, there's a picture of Tetra's mother in her cabin on the pirate ship. Probably the first 'Zelda' with short hair. :)

ant1532

Banned
Tritroid said:
You're right, partially.

In Wind Waker, there's a scene with Jabun where the King of Red Lions says that the Link he has with him has no connection to the 'legendary one'. The legendary one being the Hero of Time, so there's no blood connection there between the two Links.

Zelda/Tetra, on the other hand, is a blood descendant of the royal family. She is the last member of the Zelda blood line, which is why she has a fragment of the Triforce of Wisdom. Tetra's mother, who passed the Triforce fragment down to Tetra, was also a member of this blood line though not identified as 'Zelda'. She could possibly be the Zelda that appears in Twilight Princess, or there could be another Zelda in between TP's Zelda and Tetra...we'll have to wait and see.

BTW, there's a picture of Tetra's mother in her cabin on the pirate ship. Probably the first 'Zelda' with short hair. :)

woh, nice. you know your shit. I knew that Zelda was a blood relative of previous ones, which through me to believe the same for link. guess i forgot the part. Also, when you said this

The gods flooded Hyrule in order to prevent the land and its people from be completely taken over and eventually destroyed by Ganon. The intention was to give Hyrule a fresh start after the Imprisoning War and the possibility of that happening all over again with the Hero of Time back in his own time period.

What I'll be interested in is how they explain the lack of any and all references to this Hero after OoT in WW. According to the WW lore, there was no hero to stand up to Ganon once he somehow broke the Sacred Realm's seal and returned to Hyrule...so if they're planning on keeping the current timeline going (ignoring all the games prior to OoT), I hope they come up with a good way to explain that.

This is implying that some time after OoT, Ganon came back, but there was no link to protect hyrule from him( or he couldnt defeat him) So than Ganon ruled the land ( Imprisoning War ) and than the Gods flooded Hyrule than it goes to Wind waker... correct?

conker

Banned
Yes
Perhaps Ganon returned when Link was all up in Majora's Mask ?

Or sometime later?

In Link to the Past, there's that famous

"Zelda is your ..." *DIES* which everyone assumes to be sister.

Wasn't there also mention of Link being the last of the Hylian Knight bloodline?

And Ocarina of Time - wasn't Link left with the Kokiri by his parents for some reason or another?

And the lady that warns you - I forget her name, she's like Zelda's caretaker / bodyguard kinda - she's been in several of the games, across several time lines.

Same with the owl - Kapora Gaebora I believe.

Then there's the theory that Link's Awakening was a dream that Link had while he was sleeping for 7 years in Ocarina of Time.

The whole damned storyline is so confuzzled that there'll never be 1 explanation for all of it.

AniHawk

conker said:
Yes
Perhaps Ganon returned when Link was all up in Majora's Mask ?

Or sometime later?

In Link to the Past, there's that famous

"Zelda is your ..." *DIES* which everyone assumes to be sister.

I believe the line was "destiny." You can't have Link and Zelda be siblings. That's nasty.

This is implying that some time after OoT, Ganon came back, but there was no link to protect hyrule from him( or he couldnt defeat him) So than Ganon ruled the land ( Imprisoning War ) and than the Gods flooded Hyrule than it goes to Wind waker... correct?

If we're going to try and connect OoT and ALttP (thus, using ALttP terms), the period in which Ganon takes over for seven years, ending with his defeat and being sealed in the Sacred Realm is the Imprisoning War (though I think it mainly encompasses the latter).

Link is returned to live out his childhood, and goes to Termina.

Decades later, Ganon breaks loose for the first time. I assume this is when Twilight Princess takes place, and it will end with the flooding of Hyrule. This is not the Hero of Time (who was just in two games, and mentioned in TWW).

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I always thought the "hero" was just the spirit of the trifoce of courage and the "hero" - or, the Hero of Time, just chooses his next vessel whenever the world is in danger.

So it's not like the same "Link," its just the same triforce power.

So in that sense, Link and Gannon could be brothers - the triforce of power just chooses his next vessel, and that being a sibling of the vessel the triforce of courage chooses.

Well, with that said - while it would be an interest twist to do, I don't think thats the case here.

I'm just saying, thats the way I always felt about the "hero."
It's not so much direct decendents... just in spirit, really, since the "hero" is always the vessel of the triforce, which is the same spirit, just in different bodies throughout the melinnea.

Pakkidis

I really don't think they'd do that. You'd go through the same dungeons with the three different characters just to finish the game? Nah.

Not like that, when you play as Gannon you play new dungeons or areas that would advance the storyline. Same goes with Zelda so that when you complete the entire game you get a complete picture of the entire story.

Top Bottom