• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

IMACOMPUTA

I flipped a coin. Seriously.

It was creepy as fuck seeing her reaction show up when I jumped back to the AB game to reach the other branch. Half expected the game to delete its save data at that point or something crazy, LOL

i chose to ally the first time and she betrayed me, saying that i betrayed her already and i hadnt... weird but im not finished yet so maybe theres something i dont know

Wait a minute... when a path splits does the game keep track of what you did first and personalize your story? or does everyone see everything?

Also, some problems that I hear are non-issues in the vita version: unskippable credits, only one save slot, cutoff secret files.

Are you serious? You can skip them in the Vita version?

Sheesh, the 3DS version is completely inferior. Sitting through the credits EVERY TIME I get an ending is annoying as hell.

wiibomb

damn you all!!! I want to play more of it (you are just giving me more and more hype)

and college is not helping at all!!

also, this game is a real good step foward to the puzzles in 999, I got stuck a lot at the
Security Room
, those passwords that did NOT needed the 12 digits just drove me nuts

the infirmary
gold files are really hard to get btw

I have a question, when I got at some point to the
directors room after having found ALL killed except quark (he was still missing) and having checked the 2 headed lion eating the sun, it asks for a username and password, how do I get them? should I countinue to other different paths to find it? memento mori is NOT helping lol

Venfayth

hen I got at some point to the
directors room after having found ALL killed except quark (he was still missing) and having checked the 2 headed lion eating the sun, it asks for a username and password, how do I get them? should I countinue to other different paths to find it? memento mori is NOT helping lol

You will find the password in a different route

Dantis

damn you all!!! I want to play more of it (you are just giving me more and more hype)

and college is not helping at all!!

also, this game is a real good step foward to the puzzles in 999, I got stuck a lot at the
Security Room
, those passwords that did NOT needed the 12 digits just drove me nuts

the infirmary
gold files are really hard to get btw

I have a question, when I got at some point to the

Memento Mori is irrelevant, basically. You get the password and ID in other timelines.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
i chose to ally the first time and she betrayed me, saying that i betrayed her already and i hadnt... weird but im not finished yet so maybe theres something i dont know

Wait a minute... when a path splits does the game keep track of what you did first and personalize your story? or does everyone see everything?
As far as I know, yes, the game does "personalize" your story a little depending on what choices you make first.

fubarduck

I just experienced the STRANGEST glitch ever (3DS version).

I was in the
security room
and deduced that the Gold File Password had to be
She Knows Everything.
. I inputted the password carefully,
making sure to turn off the other monitors, using only the bottom row like I was supposed to

I kept getting the error that the password wasn't correct with Phi telling me "there must be some other solution". It happened to me over 10 times, so I went online and checked GameFAQs to make sure I was on the right track. Sure enough, I had the right password.

Finally, I decided to record the glitch on my phone, so I hit record and inputted the same password again (I hadn't done anything different or activated anything/talked to anyone, just did the same thing again). Sure enough, while I'm recording, the password gets accepted and I get the Gold File password.

Fuck me.

Venfayth

I just experienced the STRANGEST glitch ever (3DS version).

I was in the
security room
and deduced that the Gold File Password had to be
She Knows Everything.
. I inputted the password carefully,
making sure to turn off the other monitors, using only the bottom row like I was supposed to

I kept getting the error that the password wasn't correct with Phi telling me "there must be some other solution". It happened to me over 10 times, so I went online and checked GameFAQs to make sure I was on the right track. Sure enough, I had the right password.

Finally, I decided to record the glitch on my phone, so I hit record and inputted the same password again (I hadn't done anything different or activated anything/talked to anyone, just did the same thing again). Sure enough, while I'm recording, the password gets accepted and I get the Gold File password.

Fuck me.

They all have to be on the bottom row.... :/ Or something.

Takuhi

There is probably only a single complaint I have about it, although I have yet to beat it as I'm around 25 hours in.

There was a period of time, probably at around 15-20 hours in, where I got frustrated with the story. How many times did I have to see Quark get sick, and try to kill himself. It made me not want to continue down huge paths I haven't started yet because it's a pain to do a puzzle room and be rewarded with Quark getting sick again, and then Alice killing herself again. I guess I wish there was more variety in what happens, even though from what I can see so far, that wouldn't make any sense. I guess part of the reason for my complaint is because Quark is a shitty character, although I haven't heard any back story about him yet, so there is still a chance for him to be an interesting, yet shitty character.

I think one of the cool things about this game is how much the order in which you choose to do things changes the experience, but I agree that you can mess up the pacing by randomly choosing paths that continuously rehash the same plot points or focus on one of the slower story arcs.
I started at the same time as a friend, and he complained that the first ten hours were sluggishly slow and there were no stakes because no one was getting hurt and everyone was getting along. Meanwhile, I was barely five hours in and since I'd gone the left route, half the cast was dead.
But I think it's worth it; I really like the way that two people can play the same game and, for the first ten or so hours, have radically different experiences.

Torraz

Alright, got two new character endings (up to three now) at a little more than 25 hours of playtime, which was around what I needed for the true end of 999. I'm very happy I still have a ways to go.

Clover ending - interesting then kinda freaky - loved it
Tenoldy - meh
K - now this is what I'm playing this game for

I think I'll stay in the left path as I finished the middle one, except for one lock.

Jintor

Also, I felt like some people were really exaggerating when they said you need to play 999. I disagree wholeheartedly. The 999 connection felt really half hearted to me. Like they came up with a great story and just through in a few winks to 999 to grab people's attention.

No way,
probably the second main revelation has zero impact if you didn't play 999

Torraz

Really? Could you spoiler your reasons for meh-ing it?

Perhaps it's due to the order in which I have received the endings.

I thought Tenmyouji's ending was way too similar to the generic game over endings in which one character gets 9 points, opens the door, says they'll get help and then leaves.

That's basically what happened, only I had to suffer through some sob story about quark's childhood.

On the other hand, Clover and K's endings offered lots of interesting information and different scenarios from the generic game over endings.

Perhaps it's due to the order in which I have received the endings.

I thought Tenmyouji's ending was way too similar to the generic game over endings in which one character gets 9 points, opens the door, says they'll get help and then leaves.

That's basically what happened, only I had to suffer through some sob story about quark's childhood.

On the other hand, Clover and K's endings offered lots of interesting information and different scenarios from the generic game over endings.

Well,
ok for the sob story, but there are some neat revelations (or at least innuendos) in Tenmyouji's ending. Starting from Akane's picture to Zero's ologram. Plus the recording midway through the path...

Jintor

Could you elaborate on that point? I'm unsure as to what you're referring to.

The Old Woman's Identity, and Tenmyoji's, are completely meaningless except in 'function' if you didn't play 999. Akane also comes across far more as an inexplicable wizard.

cj_iwakura

Got the
Clover
end, that's two down.

Not all that shocking, considering
it was obviously Radical-6. I was more curious about where K was.

Now if Clover had been responsible, I could see why it was named after her, but otherwise, I don't get why it's her ending, shy of the backstory about her and Snake(yay for him being alive).

Dantis

The Old Woman's Identity, and Tenmyoji's, are completely meaningless except in 'function' if you didn't play 999. Akane also comes across far more as an inexplicable wizard.

I wouldn't consider that a revelation at all... :/

I guessed it fairly early on, and I'm going to assume a lot of players did. Either way, that's one of the winks I was talking about. The old woman being Akane affects absolutely nothing. Same with Tenmyouji.

Jintor

I wouldn't consider that a revelation at all... :/

I guessed it fairly early on, and I'm going to assume a lot of players did. Either way, that's one of the winks I was talking about. The old woman being Akane affects absolutely nothing. Same with Tenmyouji.

I suppose that's one of the things that will depend on the path you chose. I did not realise it until probably around 20 hours in, which is about the point where no matter what paths you take the hits just keep coming, so it all snowballs into this crazy blast of madness.

As for saying it affects absolutely nothing though, I disagree heavily. It explains a lot about character motivations without actually doing it in-game.

I suppose that's one of the things that will depend on the path you chose. I did not realise it until probably around 20 hours in, which is about the point where no matter what paths you take the hits just keep coming, so it all snowballs into this crazy blast of madness.

As for saying it affects absolutely nothing though, I disagree heavily. It explains a lot about character motivations without actually doing it in-game.

And, I might add,
only Akane could have come up with such a plan. True, Sigma built it, but the true mastermind, even in this game, was Akane. And I think the game wants to show us this timeline where Akane and Junpei aren't together, where Junpei is a lonely old man with only his adopted grandson left, while Akane has dedicated her entire life in order to save the world and, maybe, create a better future for her and the boy she loves (or at least I hope she loves.) In the end, it is true that the basic setting for the game has little to do with Junpei and Akane, meaning that it's not a direct consequence of the first game, but I think that the third volume will tell more about them and their eventual reunion for a happy future. I mean, Junpei said he was involved in the 2028 incident...
Sorry if I wrote too much under spoilers!
BTW, SERIOUS SPOILERS!

Jintor

MAJOR SPOILERS

Yes, I agree. Just because
we read about a timeline doesn't necessarily mean it's the final timeline. I'm pretty sure we're on an interim timeline at the moment.

I'll post a picture of my paper notes later I guess.

Omikaru

MAJOR SPOILERS

Yes, I agree. Just because
we read about a timeline doesn't necessarily mean it's the final timeline. I'm pretty sure we're on an interim timeline at the moment.

I'll post a picture of my paper notes later I guess.

Mostly agree.

Major spoilers

At the very least, I think they'll create a future that doesn't necessitate the Nonary Game on the moon in that timeline, which will lead to all sorts of other changes too.

And then Sigma and Phi can be OTP. :3

*sigh* Phi. We know nothing about her, yet she's so cool.

Jintor

One of the interesting things has been seeing how other people react to the exact same stimuli but in nearly completely different ways.

Venfayth

Mostly agree.

Major spoilers

At the very least, I think they'll create a future that doesn't necessitate the the Nonary Game on the moon in that timeline.

They can go on a double date with Akane and Junpei!

Dantis

Mostly agree.

Major spoilers

At the very least, I think they'll create a future that doesn't necessitate the Nonary Game on the moon in that timeline, which will lead to all sorts of other changes too.

*sigh* Phi. We know nothing about her, yet she's so cool.

Concur.

Going out on a complete limb, I have a feeling it will be a sunshine and happiness ending. Think Persona 2: Innocent Sin.

Jintor

God, I hope so.

Akane working to free herself from being trapped by paradox feels instictively right.

I mean, pretty much her entire life has been dictated to her. She is the ultimate prisoner.

The only thing that bugs me is that
the third game will probably be about OLD Sigma in YOUNG Sigma's body. Probably we won't be using him, but I can hardly say it will be the same character... He'll probably be as K described him... :( Phi, though, spent the 45 years in a cryogenic pod, so she'll be more or less like we left her at the end of VLR!
I had to break my head a few times to imagine which consciousness will be in which body in the third game... Assuming that the third game will be about the 2028 incident... Uchikoshi is unpredictable...

Guys that are playing the game, sorry if this spoiler monstruosity happened here! Be patient, and when you finish the game, come back and read the crazy opinions and theories! :D

Omikaru

Not to mention part 3's protagonist and designated love interest. It'll be a triple date.

Ooooh, all these feels. As the crazy ATLA/Korra fans say, "I REGRET NOTHING!" :3

Anyway, *ahem*, enough of that.

Astral

Holy shit. I'm playing 999 and I just had to put the DS down. This elevator scene is KILLING me. Please tell me VLR is this funny.

Venfayth

Holy shit. I'm playing 999 and I just had to put the DS down. This elevator scene is KILLING me. Please tell me VLR is this funny.

The elevator scene is probably the funniest thing between both games. Although VLR does have its moments.

/clover
OH MY GOSH
ALIENS!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Made it through the PEC room, fuck yeah. I actually had my game crash after the Dio ending...hope that doesn't happen again.

I'm deep in every path now, looking like I'm heading down for something with Tenmyoji soon. Currently he's the one I've been wondering about the most so I hope my mind will be properly destroyed.

Jintor

What's the opposite of schaudenfreude, where you vicariously experience other emotions (puzzlement, joy, etc) through other people's experiences?

GlassBox

Banned
Alright, finally playing this and enjoying it. I'm about at the end of the leftmost path on the flowchart, which I intentionally went on first because I assumed that shorter paths meant bad endings.

So that said, is there any particular progression through the flowchart one should go through to get the most out of the story? Or does it matter?

I just don't want to end up with the good endings first, since I'm positive I enjoyed 999 immensely because I got all the bad endings first and then the good ones, and I remember a lot of people agreeing that the 999 playthrough that made most sense was Axe/Knife->Sub->Coffin->Safe->True

Roubjon

Alright, finally playing this and enjoying it. I'm about at the end of the leftmost path on the flowchart, which I intentionally went on first because I assumed that shorter paths meant bad endings.

So that said, is there any particular progression through the flowchart one should go through to get the most out of the story? Or does it matter?

I just don't want to end up with the good endings first, since I'm positive I enjoyed 999 immensely because I got all the bad endings first and then the good ones, and I remember a lot of people agreeing that the 999 playthrough that made most sense was Axe/Knife->Sub->Coffin->Safe->True

There is no order to play the endings in and don't worry about the timeline. It isn't done in the same way 999 is.

My favorite character in this game is either Sigma or Phi...Not sure which one

The whole "I'm not superman..." line was good.

This game is probably top 3 game in the past 4-5 years for me that I can recall off the top of my head. Shit is amazing.

GlassBox

Banned
There is no order to play the endings in and don't worry about the timeline. It isn't done in the same way 999 is.
Sweet! That's great to know. I just got one of the big whammy reveals of the leftmost path

SPOILER
Luna! say it ain't so! And neat trick with the AB room switch
:(

Jintor

K. Rec Room. Greatest argument for VA in puzzle rooms the world has ever known.

I think this was my first VN with English VA, anybody know any others? So used to 'bleep bleep bleep' (though Ghost Trick and Phoenix Wright use it masterfully)

Javier

"The last guy I fought went home in an ambulance"

"Shouldn't have picked a fight with a paramedic then."

OHHHHH BUUUUUURRNNNNNNNN

Thoraxes

Looking back on it now (only having 3-ish puzzles left to solve in game), i'm surprised so many people had trouble with the PEC. That was the easiest and quickest for me and I got the gold file easily too. I finished it in less than like 10 minutes.

Something about that room totally clicked in my brain (and there was also
trying to sniff Clover's suit~).

Midou

Looking back on it now (only having 3-ish puzzles left to solve in game), i'm surprised so many people had trouble with the PEC. That was the easiest and quickest for me and I got the gold file easily too.

I think it's kind of poorly done. The way you get the inside password is unlike anything else you've done in the game. Considering there was
a file in a location the game did not let you look at earlier
is kind of bizarre.

The actual puzzle for the green and blue screens were some of the easiest for me as well, but the point I made earlier, and the elevator password and
it just giving you the answer with the 2 stools, made me not like it that much. I was trying so many answers like number of sides in the shape, number of right angles, etc
only to have the game hand over the answer on a silver platter.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Looking back on it now (only having 3-ish puzzles left to solve in game), i'm surprised so many people had trouble with the PEC. That was the easiest and quickest for me and I got the gold file easily too. I finished it in less than like 10 minutes.

Have people been struggling there or was it just some people trying to get out ASAP because of the 3ds bug?

Personally for me, the Crew Quarters was the hardest. It was also the first damn room I did.

Top Bottom