• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF is going on with FF Type-0?

Ok, this is getting ridiculous by now.

E3, nothing.

TGS, nada. Zero. PS3, PSV, 3DS even.

WTF? Wii U is coming, next year E3 and TGS will all be taken by PS4/Xbox. Please dear Wada-sama, explain to me how to you intent to solve this clusterfuck of epic proportions?

We know the localization is done/almost done, voices are recorded. Then what is happening???

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'd say nothing. Maybe it'll be released in the West when Square decides to do a Vita HD port for Japan.

SE found this

frame_00000xjzq.jpg

glaurung

I am pretty miffed about this as well. This was the game that prompted me to buy another PSP last year... or was it the year before that.

Anyhow, I am pretty mad this is a no-show for the English-speaking players.

I'd say nothing. Maybe it'll be released in the West when Square decides to do a Vita HD port for Japan.

That is my point. Without compelling software Vita struggles more and more. So if S-E is waiting for install base to be there there might wait forever. WiiU is going to take all the attention this holiday, and next year next-gen will hit.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Its especially bizarre with reports of it having been english dubbed. All it needs is the HD-uprez treatment games like Peace Walker and Monster Hunter Portable 3rd enjoyed (and that Sony created a special set of PSP Remaster suite software to encourage) to become a Vita product or PS3 and Vita dual release.

Best to sit on it and not make money out of a completed product as it becomes increasingly dated looking though. Because thats SE Business Strategy 101.

ymmv

Banned
Its especially bizarre with reports of it having been english dubbed. All it needs is the HD-uprez treatment games like Peace Walker and Monster Hunter Portable 3rd enjoyed (and that Sony created a special set of PSP Remaster suite software to encourage) to become a Vita product or PS3 and Vita dual release.

Sony also has stipulations that games remastered in HD have to be collections if companies want to sell physical copies in retail stores.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
That is my point. Without compelling software Vita struggles more and more. So if S-E is waiting for install base to be there there might wait forever. WiiU is going to take all the attention this holiday, and next year next-gen will hit.
* This year next gen hits...

It's not surprising, seeing how VITA and PSP software sell in the west (0 units).

S-E is not going to release the game to make XX console successful, like any third party, they want to release a game on a successful hardware, or at least a hardware where people will buy software, none of those are the PSP/VITA.

At this point it makes much more sense to port it (not port begging here, I don't care about that particular game) to a hardware that can give a chance to said game.

The problem with porting it to PS3, is that they would need to do a remake, or heavily improve the quality of the assets, and it will still look like a PS2 game on an emulator, and that may damage even more the FF brand.

I would say that 3DS is a good choice, but software is not selling well in the west, so maybe their best option is to forget about it.

It's a PSP game, what are you expecting when the PSP is more or less dead in the West?

It takes them more than a year to come up with Vita port?

Sony also has stipulations that games remastered in HD have to be collections if companies want to sell physical copies in retail stores.

I cannot imagine Sony not lifting that requirement. We are talking FF on a PSVita.

S-E is not going to release the game to make XX console successful, like any third party, they want to release a game on a successful hardware, or at least a hardware where people will buy software, none of those are the PSP/VITA.

But it takes software to sell hardware, so someone has to make it happen. PSV will not start selling without good games.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

The Vita is in a shitty situation just like the PSP. I doubt it would be a profitable venture on either of those platforms, the West has no interest in Vita or PSP and Japan already has the PSP version.

Kenka

Wada consults a fortune teller, plus, he is really bad at keeping things tidy in his company and he has people in the top management and direct surroundings that can't hold a deadline.

That's all you need to know regarding FF Type-0.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's a PSP game, what are you expecting when the PSP is more or less dead in the West?

It's not surprising, seeing how VITA and PSP software sell in the west (0 units).

At this point it makes much more sense to port it (not port begging here, I don't care about that particular game) to a hardware that can give a chance to said game.

The problem with porting it to PS3, is that they would need to do a remake, or heavily improve the quality of the assets, and it will still look like a PS2 game on an emulator, and that may damage even more the FF brand.

I would say that 3DS is a good choice, but software is not selling well in the west, so maybe their best option is to forget about it.
You are talking about the risks and costs of a retail release, but psp and vita are heavy on digital, se could release fft0 dd only.

The Vita is in a shitty situation just like the PSP. I doubt it would be a profitable venture on either of those platforms, the West has no interest in Vita or PSP and Japan already has the PSP version.

If anyone can be tricked to buy "Final Mix" version it's Japan. Plus, it is almost a given with S-E games there will be a refresh after ~1 year.

Held hostage by S-E asking Sony to give them some IPs like Legend Of Dragon, Rogue Galaxy, White Knight so they can ruin them...

K, I know, but I'm very upset towards S-E so I just expect the worse from them.

Alas iOS/Android port and a big middle finger to the Sony userbase

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If anyone can be tricked to buy "Final Mix" version it's Japan. Plus, it is almost a given with S-E games there will be a refresh after ~1 year.

What does that have to do with a Western release? We don't get any of SEs Final Mix/International versions.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
You are talking about the risks and costs of a retail release, but psp and vita are heavy on digital, se could release fft0 dd only.
But what would be the point of that? It's not free to do (because even if it is, you loose the opportunity to wait and port it to a more successful hardware), and it would sell almost nothing...

S-E will be the last company to release their games for a cheap price or on limited hardware if they think they can wait and earn more money. You see that from the lack of old games re-releases on any platform.

Would it make sense? maybe, but this is S-E...

Go_Ly_Dow

Maybe waiting to announce it alongside a Vita price cut?

Still think PS3/Vita would be the best way to release the game.

Shinta

Banned

They probably did, but now Vita is in even worse shape.

Not having Type-0 now is pretty frustrating, but it's not like it's only on SQEX. PSP died in the west, and Vita has been seemingly dead on arrival because of choices consumers in the west are making. They could toss the game on PSN for PSP, but I think they want to get more out of it than that.

We can only guess they're doing some kind of major revision for the game; PS3 HD, Vita, or 3DS. Or they just shelved it (I doubt this).

I think we can just dismiss this rumor honestly about the collections, or about Sony demanding they alter things. SQEX is not at all opposed to doing small revisions for re-releases. They did it with FFIII PSP, TWEWY iOS, Star Ocean 4, all the FF International versions, all the KH Final Mix games, FFV GBA, FFVI GBA, Chrono Trigger DS and on and on. There's just no way this is the thing holding it up.

Famassu

There will never be a major FF release as a digital only release, not as long as there's a physical alternative.

What does that have to do with a Western release? We don't get any of SEs Final Mix/International versions.
Europe basically got Final Fantasy X International. And tons of additions to Kingdom Hearts (though they made even more for Final Mix).

Did people end up liking Type-0? I haven't heard anyone talking about it at all for months, whereas I heard stuff about Xenoblade and other non-localized games a lot more. On the PSP front, I think I've heard more about TITS 2 and HMH 2 than Type-0. I just kinda assumed it was mediocre -- true?

Did people end up liking Type-0? I haven't heard anyone talking about it at all for months, whereas I heard stuff about Xenoblade and other non-localized games a lot more. On the PSP front, I think I've heard more about TITS 2 and HMH 2 than Type-0. I just kinda assumed it was mediocre -- true?

Japan GAF seems to agree it is the best game out of Fabula Nova family.

Laguna

Banned
The biggest reasons imo are

-PSp isn´t a viable platform in US/EU anymore
-wait and see aproach towards PSV
-unsuccessful PSV may have lead them to change their plans

While I get the impression that Wada likes the idea that FF is more seen as a "Playstation" brand, economically it would make more sense to release "Type0 International" edition on 3DS. It has the potential to sell alot in Japan (in fact the best selling FF wasn´t on PSP but FF3 on DS) and also a good chance selling well here. Because by then PSP would be even less relevant in Japan, PSV still have a rather small userbase and I doubt a PSP port could be huge on PS3 if MGS Peace Walker HD is any indication.

Astery

I'm not siding with SE but expecting announcement of western release at TGS is ridiculous. The game came out for quite awhile already in Japan.

Now why didn't they release it? Square Enix being Square Enix. Likely due to poor sales of PSP and PSV in the west and they are not bordering.

UberTag

To be fair, the West is more likely to be digital only than many other markets. And the very nature of NPD reporting being multi-SKU dampens any possibility to gauge how well Vita software performs that much more.

I've bought over 20 Vita games. Would that be reflected on any sales report we have access to any more than a Vita owner that's purchased 0 games? Not in the least.

The last bit of tangible North American PSP/Vita software sales intel we've gotten is that Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep put up better numbers in its first month on PSP than Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance did on 3DS... albeit on a much larger install base at the time.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe they're just scared the game won't sell outside of Japan. What were the sales number over there ?

I think physical sales was close to FFXIII-2's. With digital sales counted the game might have sold more than FFXIII-2.

Top Bottom