• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Live Arcade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
virtuafightermaster said:
Samurai Showdown is coming finally?
I tought it is forgotten probably got canned by SNK.

Hopefully SNK star working on more title for xbox 360, stop release games on the dying PS2 already.
SNK has always been a little slow with their XBLA releases though. Took a really long time for Fatal Fury and Metal Slug 3 to arrive on the service, even though they announced those (at the time) titles a year ago beforehand.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.siliconera.com/2008/05/02/top-secret-chat-our-bionic-commando-rearmed-interview/

How long has Bionic Commando: Rearmed been in development?

About 10 months.

Why did you decide to keep the humorous storyline with the Imperials and Badds? Has anything changed from the original plot?

Because even though the dialogue itself was riddled with spelling errors and mistranslations, the cheesy tone of the game was one of the things that made the title cool. We want to tap into that 80s action hero humor since the title is supposed to be an homage to the original.

Will Japan get a different version with the World War II references and Hitler as the last boss?

To keep everything consistent and since the US market is the core market for the game, we are syncing everything to the US canon. We certainly wouldn’t want to create multiple sets of textures, models, and backdrops as well since the game is already quite a bit over what we expected to spend.

I remember reading the storyline in Bionic Commando: Rearmed ties into the new Bionic Commando. Can you elaborate on this?

They are both part of the same world. The 3D Bionic Commando takes place 10 years after the events that occurred in the original game. We really wanted to have a powerful dynamic character who goes through a major change in his life. Since Spencer is pretty much the king of the hill by the end of the original Bionic Commando (seeing as he took on a whole army by himself), we wanted him to have a fall from grace. How this transpires is still a unannounced by fans will be able to get a clue in the serial web comic book “Chain of Command” that we are releasing on the community site. The story ties the 2 games together.

One of the creative features in Bionic Commando: Rearmed is you can unlock content for the PS3/Xbox360 game. What kind of content can you unlock? Are there any items that can only be unlocked with both games?

As shown in the announcement trailer you will be able to unlock a original Spencer skin and be able to play the 3D game looking like how the original character did from the NES days (sunglasses and all). But there are a few secrets in Rearmed that you much collect in order to open up a few more things in the 3D Bionic Commando. We aren’t saying what they are yet, but they are very cool.

While Bionic Commando: Rearmed is a remake there have been some gameplay changes to the core game like the addition of the shotgun. Which change do you feel improves on the original the most?

The new weapon system. The fact that you can switch weapons in real-time and that enemies are weaker to some weapon types and stronger to others adds in a sort of Megaman vibe to the gun play in the game. If you ever did play the original, it was pretty much the second you got the bazooka, that was the only weapon you used so it was kind of a broken system before.

Can you give us a clue on how to unlock some of the Xbox 360 achievements?

No, but I can give you a hint. Let’s just say “You can’t do that on television”.

The PSP has been the usual home for Capcom's 2.5D remakes with games like Mega Man X: Maverick Hunter and Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins. Are there plans to sell Bionic Commando: Rearmed as a PSP downloadable title on the PlayStation Store or on a UMD disc?

I have been pushing for this for a long time but unfortunately Rearmed is based on GRIN’s next-gen engine. Without some major modifications, it wouldn’t fit the PSP scope. I mean, if you look at the game, you’ll see that it actually uses some of the in-game effects from its big 3D brother. It really is one of the most powerful games you will play on XBLA or PSN.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
besiktas1 said:
So Bionic Commando this week?
Signs point to yes (well this does anyway...)

Shard, do you have any idea?

(I prophesise Wits and Wagers though)

That date has not been verified by anybody. Anyway, I predicted Wits and Wagers last week, maybe Warlords will show up as well.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kafel said:
Next week.

Maybe, but saurly the hype machine is being turned on for the game, here is yet another interview about Bionic Commando Rearmed.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=187362

Bionic Commando: Rearmed
5-May-2008 Interview: Nazis and the 18+ certificate

You expect some games to get an 18 rating. Secretly, you might even want them to. But we expect the likes of Grand Theft Auto, Manhunt and Mortal Kombat to get a mature tag. But Bionic Commando: Rearmed? Eh?

Ever since we reported that the remake of the 8-bit classic had been slapped with an 18 certificate, we've been wondering whether an intern had been given too much power at the BBFC.

Fortunately, we were already speaking to GRIN creative director Simon Viklund about the game, so we asked him his thoughts on the certification, amongst other things...

Bionic Commando: Rearmed is arguably generating more interest than the brand new Bionic Commando title. Why do you think that is?

Simon Viklund: I think that might be because unmistakable retro visuals of BCR clearly convey to the nostalgic old-school gamers exactly what the game is about, giving them the courage to show their love for the project.

I'm glad they do - it's what keeping me at the office working day and night shifts to make this title all it can be!

The concept of 3DBC (which is what we internally call the 3D retail game to separate it from BCR and the original NES game) is obviously harder for people to wrap their heads around - they look at movies and screenshots from the game and make assumptions that it's gonna behave like this game or that game.

However, once people get to play it themselves and try out the swing mechanic in a 3D space I'm sure they will grasp the greatness of that game too.

Just as BCR isn't just another remake, 3DBC isn't just another third-person action game.

What was the hardest decision you had to make on the project?

Viklund: That was to determine what was really bad in the original and how these things should be amended.

Well, the truth is it wasn't really that hard to determine - because I always had a very clear idea of what I thought was good and bad about the original game - but it was hard to take the ultimate decision to cut or replace these elements because I didn't know how the Bionic Commando fans out there would react.

It was kind of nerve-wrecking to release that announcement trailer back in January and wait for people's responses. I'm glad that the decisions I made seem to have been well received.

Both Xbox Live and WiiWare have been very successful. In your opinion, what's the attraction of the retro and simpler games that these services offer?

Viklund: I think part of what's so appealing about these "trifle games" is that they are available at the push of a button, they are cheap to buy and they are "quick fixes" - small games that you learn quickly and complete (and/or grow tired of?) quickly.

Instant gratification, so to speak - which of course appeals to its own audience just as hard-to-get-into and time-consuming RPG games do.

Another appealing aspect of these games is of course that they, because they are low-budget and therefore economically low-risk, can take leaps of faith concept-wise that bigger projects would never dare to take.

Apart from WiiWare (where the games naturally inherit unique flavour from the Wii hardware it is controlled with), this is hardly a new breed of games or even an increase in number of such games - it's just a new distribution channel for them.

A lot of these "trifle" games are going to prove that the concept they are built upon can be successful and this in turn will make the AAA titles' producers more willing to follow down that same path.

When large projects dare to be more innovative, that's when the really exciting things start to happen. From my perspective as a developer, that's the true appeal of these services: small-risk games exploring the unexplored and paving the road for big-budget projects.

What was the decision behind following the original American release and leaving out references to Nazism?

Viklund: The game gained widespread popularity in the US and not in Japan, so the US version - which didn't have the swastikas and didn't call the last boss "Adolf Hitler" - proved that the game could be popular without these elements.

In other words, it's clear that the Nazi references weren't what made the game great.

In the political correct social climate of today it's hard to justify why we would go back to the Japanese version's approach in this matter, when that's not even the shape in which the western audience learned to know and love the game.

What's important here is to not mess with the memories people have of the game, and in the parts of the world where BCR will be most popular no one will have a memory of a game filled with swastikas.

Anyone who claims that we're not being true to the original because we don't have swastikas in the game is just being plain silly.

Still, the fuzzy origin of the game's clearly fascist enemies and their 'stashed leader is without a doubt part of the US version's charm, and we've pushed the envelope as far as we've been allowed in that matter.

Is Adolf Hitler in there? Just because he's called something else doesn't mean it isn't Hitler, right? You need to play the game till the end to find out.

With Bionic Commando: Rearmed, you're actually remaking the American translation of a Japanese game. Is this yet another sign that the western market is becoming more important than the Japanese?

Viklund:We've actually gone back to the original Japanese version, re-translated everything and based BCR off of that but sprinkled it with some brand new elements that are references to the upcoming 3DBC.

I don't think one should go too far interpreting what version's story or what version's visual approach we're following, because in the case of Bionic Commando for the NES it just happens to be a game produced in Japan that became more popular in the US.

There haven't been that many multiplatform releases for Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. How hard has it been working on a multiplatform release?

Viklund: It's been very hard. I'd be the first to admit though that it's partly because of my inexperience as a creative director, but my small but loyal development team and I have managed to pull it off fuelled by sheer passion.

The number of demands on a game and the level of detail to which these demands stretch is just overwhelming - and they always differ from platform to platform. But in the end it makes for a tighter and more stable game.

The title is earmarked for a PC release, also. Is this a digital release and do you think digital distribution will bring fresh life to the PC as a platform?

SV: Yes, BCR is a digital release on the PC too, apart from Poland and Russia that actually get a physical CD-ROM edition.

Oh I really envy them - even though I see a lot of positive aspects in digital distribution, I'm the kind of guy who wants to have a physical representation of something I've bought. I rather buy CD's than download mp3s.

Regarding digital distribution of games on the PC, I think of it is as positive a thing as it is on the consoles. Services where you can have your own IM style "buddy list" and see what games your friends are playing and join that very match by just double-clicking their name - that's the present and future of the gaming community. Easy access, no borders - that's the kind of stuff that shrinks the world.

Do you think the ratings systems have been fair in issuing BCR a 'mature' rating?

Viklund: Well, the rating organisations set their own rules for what they think is a game for kids and what is a game for teenagers or adults, so needless to say they're always fair if measured by their own terms.

Let's be clear on one thing though: the general experience you'll have when playing BCR isn't even the slightest bit more violent than what was shown in the announcement trailer for the game back in January - there is no blood and gore when you shoot the enemies or anything. It's a bright, rainbow-coloured platform game that doesn't seem to contain anything offensive.

But then we came to the part of the development where we had to deal with the (in)famous question of "the exploding head".

What to do, what to do? We knew that one bloody sequence would be enough to give the game a higher rating, so it stood between complete censorship and Teen rating or something that truly embraced and honoured the original and would get an M rating.

The decision was up to Ben Judd and Capcom, and all cred goes to them for deciding to take the "oh, what the hell" approach, haha. If it's a remake then even this should be remade, right? I love that attitude. So picture me with a sinister grin on my face as I say "Yeah. the M rating is fair."

If you could remake any 8-bit game next without any restrictions, what would it be?

Viklund: "Blaster Master". In my opinion, that's the most neglected game of the 8-bit era. A true masterpiece that has such a good foundation to continue building on, but is unknown enough that it wouldn't upset too many fans if you took some creative liberties. It's the perfect game to remake.

That's what makes me hesitate to choose a game such as Mega Man (which is another NES game that I truly love) - the mere thought of the amount of passionate fans that game has is intimidating. So, Blaster Master it is. Who owns that license anyway?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
“Wits & Wagers” Places its Bet on Xbox LIVE Arcade This Wednesday!

“Wits & Wagers” is the trivia party game where you don’t need to know the right answers to win! Awarded Official Xbox Magazine’s coveted Editor’s Choice award, “Wits & Wagers” brings an inventive and accessible party experience to Xbox LIVE Arcade this Wednesday, May 7, 2008 at 9:00 a.m. GMT (1:00 a.m. PDT).

Just like the award-winning board game, players don’t have to be trivia experts to excel at “Wits & Wagers,” which balances social and betting skills with trivia knowledge. Choose your wacky dancing character and then dive into the game. You can win by making educated guesses, playing the odds or just knowing the interests of other players, whether they are local or online.

Break out the Big Button pad controllers and invite friends over for an entertaining couch vs. couch multiplayer experience on Xbox LIVE, supporting 1-4 players offline and 2-6 players in online multiplayer mode. With 700 trivia questions, great character costumes and dance moves, catchy music, achievements, leaderboards, support for the Xbox LIVE Vision Camera, the Xbox Big Button Pad and more, “Wits & Wagers” is the fun party game you can play with your family and friends starting this Wednesday!

Developed by Hidden Path Entertainment, “Wits & Wagers” will be available in the U.S., U.K and Canada for 800 Microsoft Points and is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB. For more details on “Wits & Wagers” please visit:

• http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/w/wandwxboxlivearcade/

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Bionic Commando Rearmed Weapons Trailer

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/16419/Bionic-Commando-Rearmed-Weapons-Trailer/

Bionic Commando Rearmed sees a return of the intense 2D side scrolling, shooting and grappling action from the much-loved 1988 Bionic Commando on the original 8-bit Nintendo Entertainment System™.

Bionic Commando Rearmed brings the amazing gameplay up to date with stunning new visuals, new weapons, online rankings, a reworked musical score and the addition of a 2-player co-op mode.

The title will also provide cross-game interoperability, as completing parts of Bionic Commando Rearmed will unlock new content and provide secret insight into characters and plot of the brand new Bionic Commando sequel coming later in 2008.

Capcom has released a new trailer that shows off some of the cooler weapons and moves that you have with the bionic arm.

There are 9 weapons in total:

Revolver
Weapon Type: Projectile
Your standard pea-shooter that works in a pinch.

Plasma Rifle
Weapon Type: Energy
A thin laser that cuts through energy shields.

Shotgun
Weapon Type: Projectile
The close-range weapon of choice, capable of downing a foe in a couple of shots.

Vector Cannon
Weapon Type: Energy
A laser that ricochets off walls. Great for attacking enemies who are hiding behind obstacles. Does more damage with each successive ricochet.

Bazooka
Weapon Type: Explosive
A slow-moving rocket that detonates on impact. Can kill most enemies in a single shot.

Grenades
Weapon Type: Explosive
With about a 2-3 second delay before they detonate, grenades aren't the fastest of weapons, but they can be dropped down on lower platforms to blast unsuspecting foes.

?????
Weapon Type: All
The best weapon in the game. Capable of mowing down just about any foe in seconds.

All weapons in multiplayer start upgraded which gives them the most stopping power. For example, the Revolver can usually only fire 2 shots at a time, but when upgraded it can fire 3. We don't want to spoil what the upgrades are since you will collect them in single player as well, but some of them are quite cool!

There are also two other kinds of pickup:

Energy Shield
Gives you around 10 seconds of invincibility but there is one catch - energy weapons can eat through the shield in seconds, leaving the hunter to become the hunted.

Health Pick-up
Replenishes lost energy to help keep you strong during the tough fights.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Marathon DLC Preview: Part 2

http://www.360sync.com/2008/05/05/marathon-dlc-preview-part-2

Last updated: Monday, May 5, 2008

Recently, we took a look at the upcoming DLC for marathon, specifically at the new map “Duality”. In part two of our exclusive look, we are taking a look at another map called “Thick and Chunky”.

I bet you guys are wondering what’s with that name? Here’s your explanation from Freeverse - “This is an interesting level, where the hill in King of the Hill is in a pool of lava. The name comes from the idea that the pool would fill with crispy burned bodies and would be Thick and Chunky.”

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mr. Driller Online is getting one of those fixit patches this month.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/871/871751p1.html

Mr. Driller Online to Get Patch
The free update should fix the Namco puzzler's online problems.
by Ryan Geddes

May 5, 2008 - Mr. Driller Online will receive a free update this month intended to repair the puzzle game's ongoing technical issues.

The downloadable Xbox Live Arcade title was released by Namco Bandai on April 2, but its online multiplayer modes were plagued by crippling lag when the game went live. Namco told IGN today that the company plans to release the free patch before the end of May.

Mr. Driller Online is an arcade puzzle game that pits Susumu Hori and friends against pastel rows of breakable colored blocks. The multiplayer fix has the potential to turn Mr. Driller Online in to a solid XBLA puzzle game, as the single-player mode worked well when we tested it last month.

joaomgcd

Quick question: there's no way to copy XBLA games from the compilation discs to the hard-drive, right? Or to unlock the downloaded version with the disc version?

joaomgcd said:
Quick question: there's no way to copy XBLA games from the compilation discs to the hard-drive, right? Or to unlock the downloaded version with the disc version?

No, when you put a compilation disk in the drive, the XBLA blade just come in with the additional icons for the games in the disk. If you already have the game on your HDD or even a demo the icons are duplicated. As soon as you remove the disk the icons are gone from the blade. Basically the games are being played from the disk.

joaomgcd

Chiaroscuro said:
No, when you put a compilation disk in the drive, the XBLA blade just come in with the additional icons for the games in the disk. If you already have the game on your HDD or even a demo the icons are duplicated. As soon as you remove the disk the icons are gone from the blade. Basically the games are being played from the disk.

Yeah, I noticed that the games started appearing on the XBLA blade with the disc in the drive. It sucks that I can't copy them to the HDD but it's understandable that they want to prevent people from copying the games to all their friends.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Smilebit said:
Assault Heroes 2 releases next week according to the producer on X-play.

That was mentioned a week ago, I already made an official thread which has been ignored so far.

Also coming out next week, most likely, nope, not Bionic Commando Rearmed, nothing that good, no, next week we shall (probably0 see Warlords:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/w/warlordsxboxlivearcade

Indeed, new Xbox.com Splash Page for Warlords just got uploaded today and we already know that Assault Heroes 2 is coming out next week.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Achievement lists for the following games have been uncovered

Sealife Safari

http://www.succesfull.fr/index.php?option=com_succesfull&Itemid=5&JeuID=274&Lang=En

Guppy
5 G
Take a 3 star photo of any creature in Coral Reef.

Old Salt
10 G
Find and take a photo of Cap'n Lobster.

Depth Explorer
10 G
Take a 3 Star photo of the Angler Fish.

Living Dinosaur
15 G
Take a photo of the Coelacanth.

Blast Off
10 G
Take a photo of the Rocket Squid in flight.

By the Gods
10 G
Take a photo of Poseidon’s Trident.

Alvin
10 G
Take a photo of the Aquabot Explorer.

Nostradamus
10 G
Take a photo of the Mystical Moai Head.

Shell Collector
30 G
Find all of the hidden Collectible Shells in the game.

Crypto Zoologist
30 G
Find all of the Special Items in the game.

Paparazzi
30 G
Fill your Favorites Photo Log with at least 50 photos.

Underwater Adventurer
30 G
Unlock all levels.

Elements of Destruction

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/elements-of-destruction/achievements/

Use the Force, Edgar
Successfully complete the Sunny Day Farm level in Single Player Normal mode.

Dumb Flying Stingray
Defeat H.Y.D.E.E. in Single Player Normal mode.

Monkee Factory
Defeat K.R.I.S.S. in Single Player Normal mode.

Cry W.U.L.F.E.
Defeat W.U.L.F.E. in Single Player Normal mode.

2 Fast, 2 Serious
Spawn twenty 'Maximum Charge' lightning bolts in a row in any Single Player mode.

Survivor Man
Complete the game in Survival mode.

Gold Farmer
Earn a Gold medal in all levels of Single Player Normal mode.

Everyone Does It
Complete all levels of Online Cooperative mode.

Terrorize This
Come in first place in 10 Online Multiplayer Destruction matches.

Search & Destroy
Complete any level in Single Player Normal mode with more than $9,000,000,000 of destruction.

Cute Overload
Create the Overload superpower in Single Player Normal mode.

Hippy Intimidator
Complete Sunny Day Farm with all trees destroyed in Free-For-All mode.

Aces of the Galaxy

http://www.succesfull.fr/index.php?option=com_succesfull&Itemid=5&JeuID=272&Lang=En

Prototype Pilot
5 G
Complete Level 2 on any Difficulty

Combat Pilot
10 G
Finish Solo game on Normal

Flight Commander
20 G
Finish Solo game on Hard

Squadron Leader
10 G
Finish Co-op game on Normal

Ace Wingman
20 G
Finish Co-op game on Hard

Earth Defender
10 G
Earn 5 Stars on any Level, on any Difficulty

Alien Eradicator
10 G
Earn 5 Stars on all 25 Levels on Normal

Hero of Vanguardia-7
35 G
Earn 5 Stars on all 25 Levels on Hard

Communications Officer
10 G
Complete Level 5 in an Xbox LIVE Co-op match

Scourge of the Skurgians
20 G
Achieve 10,000,000 points

Survivor
20 G
Complete 5 Levels without losing a life

Invincible
30 G
Finish game without losing a life

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
PRESS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 6, 2008
NEW DEVELOPER TWISTED PIXEL GAMES CREATING ORIGINAL IP FOR CONSOLE DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION

MADISON, IN – May 6, 2008 – Twisted Pixel Games, LLC announced today
that it has several original IP projects under development for console
digital distribution. Dedicated to raising consumers' expectations from
downloadable game content, Twisted Pixel is choosing its technology and
content partners carefully in order to maximize both the quality and
quantity of its content for current digital distribution platforms.

Founded by three game industry veterans, Michael Wilford, chief executive
officer, Frank Wilson, chief technology officer, and Josh Bear, chief
creative officer, the company was created explicitly to pursue digital
distribution. The company's goal is to produce the highest quality console
game software, and to increase value for consumers by leveraging digital
distribution's advantages.

"Digital distribution gives us many ways to entertain players that weren't
possible before, many of which are largely unexplored," says Wilford. "Some
day we hope to deliver weekly episodes of a broad appeal
choose-your-own-adventure-style game, where community is central and online
is key. But the road from here to there involves earning consumers' trust,
understanding expectations, building new technology, and working closely
with publishers and platform holders. In the meantime, we're working on
some exciting games that will set a new bar for digital distribution
standards."

With the market's increasing interest in 'broad appeal' games, Twisted
Pixel makes an important distinction. Bear says, "Just because a game is
'casual' or 'broad appeal' doesn't mean it has to neglect the core gamer.
There are many games from different genres that prove it's possible to hit
both core and non-core gamers, such as the Mario series, Uno, and World of
Warcraft to name a few. Just as Pixar makes extraordinary animated films
that appeal to casual movie-goers and hardcore film critics, we strive to
make great games for casual and hardcore players."

Twisted Pixel is looking for the best artists and engineers from the film
and game industries to join its highly experienced teams in creating
premiere game software. The company will release more details on its first
project in the near future.

###

About Twisted Pixel Games, LLC
Founded in 2006 by industry veterans, Twisted Pixel is an independent game
development studio that operates in two capacities: 1) Inventing innovative
original IP concepts then developing them into premiere console titles; and
2) Providing top-flight contract game development work to leading
publishers on their highly-anticipated titles. The company's mission is to
become a leading developer of digitally distributed console games with
ambitious and inspiring games that exceed consumer expectations. Learn more
about Twisted Pixel at www.TwistedPixelGames.com.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
******* hands-on: Roogoo (XBLA)

Heard of Roogoo? Don't worry if you haven't. It's fallen a little under the radar, but our recent hands-on with this XBLA title has us hankering for more. Describing the game's premise does it little justice, simply because it seems like something that would barely entertain a three year old. However, under the game's cute exterior and almost-mindlessly simple gameplay lies a lot of depth and fun.

Roogoo follows one of the cardinal rules of the puzzle genre: inexplicably, things are falling from the sky. Blocks of various shapes will descend from above, and players must rotate platforms to allow these shapes to continue their journey downward. We're certain you've played with preschool toys that are similar to this: star goes in star, triangle goes in triangle, box goes in box, etc. The shoulder buttons rotate the platforms, and the A button lets you accelerate the falling piece.

As we warned, this description does little to make the game sound very entertaining. Trust me, I had the same reservations as you're probably thinking when approaching this title. However, things get surprisingly (almost embarassingly) difficult later on. Enemies will spawn in holes, and can only be knocked off by accelerating blocks on their heads. Blocks won't only come down faster, but they'll come down more than one at a time, forcing players to look at multiple levels of play at the same time. Jumping to one of the later levels had us reach miserable failure in a matter of seconds, as we collapsed under the overwhelming weight of colorful children's blocks.

In addition to the single-player puzzle experience, there are a variety of multiplayer modes which we also got a chance to try. In a competitive mode, players must rush to complete their puzzle faster than their opponent. However, they can pick up stars that will spawn enemies in their opponent's puzzle. There's also a cooperative mode, which will undoubtedly break friendships. In this mode, players must take turns rotating each of the platforms. You must pay close attention to which Gamerpic appears: screw up, and both you and your partner will be penalized.

The art is cute as a button, which helps mask how utterly devious this downloadable title actually is. We had a lot of fun with the game, but we do have a few reservations. Even with multiplayer modes, and 45 levels, we're still concerned that such a simple game might be a tad expensive at the planned 800 Microsoft Points ($10 US). Don't overlook Roogoo -- you should definitely give it a try when it comes out on Live Arcade in the next few weeks.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://v8arcade.com/media/revealed-incarcerator-molo

v8arcade_reveal_06_molo.jpg

Bio:
A repeat juvenile offender, Molo hails from Brooklyn, New York. While doing community service, he hijacked a prison transport and headed west to meet his role model - the infamous Sid Burn. Molo is certain he can impress Sid enough to let him join the Coyote gang…

Favorite Snack: Hamburger-Chili Pizza

Special Weapon: Smog Check

Vehicle Stats:*

STRENGTH: High (Mass 6,780 lbs)

ACCELERATION: Low (0-30 mph in 2.8 secs)

TOP SPEED: Medium

RADAR EVASION: Low

*Vehicle stats may change, subject to final tuning

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Rlan said:
I would *think* Commando 3 would come before Bionic Commando, really, but who knows in this wacky world.

Capcom is probably holding off on Commando 3 till at least next month.

In an interview with our crew over at *******, TellTale's marketing spokesperson Emily Morganti told them that the currently PC and Wii exclusive Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People (SBCGFAP) and its episodic content could release to the XBLA "maybe down the line." Morganti went on to say that they'd "like to be on all of these [XBLA and PSN] at some point" and that "they're all great platforms for episodic content", but that "WiiWare just happens to be the one we're venturing onto first." So, she's saying there's a chance. And now we leave you with the too cool for words SBCGFAP trailer, because it's just too cool for words. Enjoy.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/05/12/telltale-open-to-strong-bad-terrorizing-the-xbla/

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2008/05/12/559073.aspx

Ticket to Ride Headed to XBLA

As a board game geek, I love that I can find some of my favorite games (Catan, Carcasonne, and Wits & Wagers for example) on Xbox LIVE Arcade.

While it may be old news to some, I'm excited that Ticket to Ride is making its way to XBLA. In addition to it being a great game, I won't have to clean up cards and tiny wooden trains from my dining room table!

This is a great gateway game that you shouldn't have much of a problem getting your non-gaming wife or girlfriend to play. If you are lucky, this could be the first step to your lady friend playing Gears of War or Call of Duty.

From the write-up:

It’s official: another popular board game will join the Xbox LIVE Arcade games lineup. Alan R. Moon's award-winning railway building game “Ticket to Ride” will be rolling in to XBLA this summer.

Developed by Playful Entertainment, “Ticket to Ride” challenges players to plan cross-country rail routes across North America and visit all the city stops in-between, racking up points as they race to reach the most destinations. The game will support play with up to five people on Xbox Live or four people on the same console and supports the Xbox LIVE Vision Cam for hours of family-friendly fun.

Rlan

I'm about to go to sleep, but Gamespress have updated with a new video of Aces of the Galaxy from Sierra, but it's watermarked and therefore, can't get it.

They mention "Trailer for an XBLA shooter available next month." and a date of "11/6/2008 (online)"

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Rlan said:
I'm about to go to sleep, but Gamespress have updated with a new video of Aces of the Galaxy from Sierra, but it's watermarked and therefore, can't get it.

They mention "Trailer for an XBLA shooter available next month." and a date of "11/6/2008 (online)"

It might be possible, sounds relasonable, but who knows right now.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
X3F Impressions: Penny-Arcade Adventures

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/05/14/x3f-impressions-penny-arcade-adventures/

While the visual look of the game has been well known for some time now, the details of the long winded Penny Arcade: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness have been a bit sketchy. Admittedly, we are Penny Arcade fans, but we were skeptical of the game, mostly because we didn't know of what it consisted. Turns out the game is a meld of Japanese RPG and old-school adventure.

The exploration, battle setup, and nested menus are straight out of traditional RPGs, but the cutscenes (if they can be called such) consist of a partly animated Penny Arcade comic. Albeit a Penny Arcade comic set in (*checks press release*) the deranged 1920's universe of New Arcadia. While the RPG elements have been updated for the times and are designed not be be slow, there isn't much here to hold you if you don't enjoy the Penny Arcade style of writing and humor. If you like the writing and are looking for something a little deeper and more involved, but just as funny and wrapped in a good RPG, give this a shot.

More details and impressions after the break.

Like we said, we were wary when we sat down to see PAA. We didn't really know what to expect and feared the worst. Strange as it may sound, the more we saw of the game, the more we realized just how little there was of the game, and the more we liked it. The RPG gameplay is rather traditional and consists mainly of navigating menus (which are thankfully simple and easily navigable) but uses a semi-real-time setup and multiple party members to keep things fast.

Your player character is highly customizable and will appear in both 3D and Penny Arcade styled 2D. In a bit of a similar fashion to Zombie Wranglers, PAA has your avatar exploring a cel shaded world that is populated with scared people and strange things. Those who know Penny Arcade know of a certain infamous juice creation device famous in the strip. Those things are the low level common enemies, and in a moment that proves why this game is rated M, the player can distract them with juicy citrus fruit, which the robotic device then proceeds to violate for several turns while you wale on them.

You will have the same three main party members the entire game, your player created character, Gabe, and Tycho, and each party member has three separate actions that are each tied to a timer. As attacks are performed and items are used, a timer will count down and that action cannot be performed again until the indicator bar fills back up again. So what this means in practice is that the player spends their time shifting between characters, using various actions as they become available.

The system ends up being entirely real-time in that there is no way to pause the battle to choose an attack at your leisure. But it is turn based in that there are no simultaneous actions, and actions are performed in the order selected (except enemy attacks, you don't select those.) The rest of the gameplay is made up of the world exploration which is traditional JRPG in almost every way, and the cut scenes, which recall the adventure games of yore.

The overworld sections mainly consist of exploring the environment, finding items in chests, talking to random citizens, and hitting things with your rake. So yeah, JRPG all the way. The dialog trees however aren't JPRG at all, and the writing gives a wide berth of strange choices for players to choose from. There isn't any sort of alignment, and the choices are simply there for the fun of themselves, so if you don't care for this sort humor, just give the demo a try.

Penny Arcade Adventures is ultimately the kind of game that can be played through once or twice in about 7-10 hours per play through. For an episodic game that's not too bad, and it's absolutely worth it if you enjoy this sort of thing. Oh, and the team is looking at releasing the next episode in about 4-5 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom