• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest EDGE Scores (MGS4, LostWinds, Haze etc)

SomeDude

Banned
Why do people go so crazy over review scores and sales figures?

I can accept the fact that Edge gave MGS4 and 8. If it's anything like the other MGS games it'll probably be one the the best games ever made for many people.

5 years from now it'll probably appear in top 100 games of all time list like MGS 1 through 3 do.

kbear

ElAlcesDiablo said:
34ysmqq.png
2m2hoqg.png
Wow EDGE always has the best covers

EviLore said:
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn - 8
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - 8
The Curse of Monkey Island - 8
Devil May Cry 3 - 8
Doom - 8
ICO - 8
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 8
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 8
Super Metroid - 8
System Shock 2 - 8
Thief - 8

MGS4 is in far better company with an 8 than it is sharing a spot with GTAIV.

Super Metroid an 8? Shit.

Sir Fragula said:
I can see what you're trying to say, but the only games on that list that deserve higher are BG2 and Monkey Island... whereas I can't think of a single Edge 10/10 that I wouldn't agree deserves the ranking, even though I dislike many of them personally. Their 10s to date include the following right?

Code:
Super Mario 64
Gran Turismo
[B]The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time[/B]
Halo
Half Life 2
Halo 3
Orange Box
Mario Galaxy
Grand Theft Auto IV

At least they don't give 10s too often.

The thing with MGS is there's this extra strata of loony fanboy who really believe in all metal gear's crazy stories. Based their belief system around it. A new MGS is like a new book in the bible for them.

Seiken said:
Bolded game is the only game that deserves a 10 in that list.

Agreed.

zoukka said:
See now I think three games deserve it from that list. How can that be?

Mario 64, Ocarina of Time and Super Mario Galaxy?

LSM256 said:
I have played the first seven of those games to either completion or a large portion of what they have to offer -- none of them deserve a 10, IMO, not even Ocarina.

You're right. Ocarina didn't deserve a 10/10, but a 11/10.

Baha

ElAlcesDiablo said:
The thing with MGS is there's this extra strata of loony fanboy who really believe in all metal gear's crazy stories. Based their belief system around it. A new MGS is like a new book in the bible for them.

Did you just compare mgs fans with creationists?

neojubei said:
Draft said:
The MGS fanbase is amazing.

One of a kind.
Kind of like the ninja gaiden fanbase when it comes to reviews?

...or when the same fanbase defends the biggest douchebag of the videogames industry even when he has sexually assaulted a woman, attacked respected videogames directors/producers or when he constantly talks out of his ass because he thinks of himself as some kind of videogames guru.

Thrakier

ElAlcesDiablo said:

I love the MGS Universe, all the characters, the style and I try to follow the story. I think I'm a MGS Fanboy. It's not a bible for me and my belief system is not based on anything related to MGS. What now?

fortified_concept said:
...or when the same fanbase defends the biggest douchebag of the videogames industry even when he has sexually assaulted a woman, attacked respected videogames directors/producers or when he constantly talks out of his ass like because he thinks of himself as some kind of videogames guru.

This makes the Itagaki is like Kojima thing even funnier.

ElAlcesDiablo said:

:lol hyperbole?

Thrakier said:
I love the MGS Universe, all the characters, the style and I try to follow the story. I think I'm a MGS Fanboy. It's not a bible for me and my belief system is not based on anything related to MGS. What now?

Extra strata. Not everyone who likes MGS. I like MGS too. Just saying I think it inspires an extra level of fanaticism in some people over other games, like NG as someone just suggested.

Sule

The back is ok but I'm not feeling the front cover so much. In the game they made everything black and white and the red blood is supposed to stand out from all that. Kinda overused the red on the cover, though. Also, too much white and text. Still way better than anything else on the market of course but looking at their past covers they could have made a better one. Maybe it'll look better in person.

How can I subscribe to Edge from the US? The covers are all brilliant and I need another magazine to read now that GFW is under.

About the reviews, it really isn't hard to accept that MGS4 gets an 8. I will admit that I am a big Metal Gear fan, but I would have to be delusional to believe that the Metal Gear series is one of mass appeal. I haven't read the review (because I don't subscribe as said in the start of this post) so I don't know if it good or not; I'm am just commenting on the score not being bad.

I am a bit confused by the GRID score and all other really positive ones. The demo at least felt like the dreg of the racing genre, if the full game is actually supposedly that good then I might give it another try.

gcubed

Scotch said:
Well, that settles it, I don't think this game is for me. It's too bad, I was really hoping that with the new camera and control scheme they'd make the other aspects of the game a little more accessible to non-MGSfans as well.

apparently people dont read the thread...

Paracelsus said:
And HOW do you know this, exactly?

Because Edge said so?
Because of the series' (discounting 3) reliance on an inescapably convoluted story.

Also, it's funny to see people who have guffawed at the idea of extended cutscenes in Xenosaga start first pumping or making excuses for the ninety minute narrative sessions MGS4 looks like it'll have.

antiloop

ElAlcesDiablo said:
Extra strata. Not everyone who likes MGS. I like MGS too. Just saying I think it inspires an extra level of fanaticism in some people over other games, like NG as someone just suggested.

That's because Hideo Kojima can tell a story.

Not different to all those Star Wars of Lord of The Rings fans out there. Loony fans exists everywhere or loony people should be the right wording.

antiloop

Bluemercury said:
Well, Besides the original psx, and i didnt like the last games from the franchise......and lol to pple asking for a 10.....

Don't worry. It's the best MGS so far according to most reveiwers.

Linkzg said:
How can I subscribe to Edge from the US? The covers are all brilliant and I need another magazine to read now that GFW is under.
They're posting a fair bit of content online here. You lose the presentation, box outs, comments against screenshots etc. which are kinda integral parts of the reviews but you can get a feel for the writing and if it's for you. There's links for subs from there too.
And I believe it's in certain shops over there as well.

Visualante said:
https://www.imsnews.com/ims_subscribe.php?pubid=557
Try and get a free t-shirt, it's really awesome.

$75 seems a lot for a year subscription. I don't remember how much I am paying for EGM, but I don't think it is that much. I might go pick one up at the store and at least read through it and see if I like it.

ElAlcesDiablo said:
They're posting a fair bit of content online here. You lose the presentation, box outs, comments against screenshots etc. which are kinda integral parts of the reviews but you can get a feel for the writing and if it's for you. There's links for subs from there too.
And I believe it's in certain shops over there as well.

thanks.

GPsych

I agree with the previous posters who stated that 90 (or 60) minute cut scenes are a step backwards for video games. As an interactive medium, it has an ability to go beyond just visuals, and do something original and unique. By just presenting a long cutscene, MGS4 is not doing much to separate itself from the world of cinema. This is disappointing as MGS was able to really demonstrate how video games can tell a complex story without resorting to classic exposition cutscenes - like the psychomantis battle. That was a beautiful moment in gaming, and cannot be reproduced in any other medium.

Overall, I don't think MGS4 is going to have the accessibility that will bring many new players to the table. I just started playing through the MGS series for the first time recently (finished MGS and 9 hours into MGS2) and this is the perfect series for GAFers. It's hard, requires patience, has a very intense and complex storyline, and constantly makes self-referential statements regarding video gaming. However, typical video game players are not GAFers. The long cutscenes filled with information related to multiple other games in a long series is just going to be confusing for most people.

Ultimately, I think Kojima had a chance to create a new video game legend like the original MGS by pushing for accessibility and playing towards the unique aspects of video gaming as a storytelling medium. Instead, it sounds like he went after fan service. This is great for the hardcore MGS fans, but I think it's a missed opportunity.

-G

Draft

fortified_concept said:
...or when the same fanbase defends the biggest douchebag of the videogames industry even when he has sexually assaulted a woman, attacked respected videogames directors/producers or when he constantly talks out of his ass because he thinks of himself as some kind of videogames guru.
Uh oh, looks like someone's getting flustered.

BTW: acquitted of all sexual harassment charges.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
GPsych said:
I agree with the previous posters who stated that 90 (or 60) minute cut scenes are a step backwards for video games. As an interactive medium, it has an ability to go beyond just visuals, and do something original and unique. By just presenting a long cutscene, MGS4 is not doing much to separate itself from the world of cinema. This is disappointing as MGS was able to really demonstrate how video games can tell a complex story without resorting to classic exposition cutscenes - like the psychomantis battle. That was a beautiful moment in gaming, and cannot be reproduced in any other medium.

It's one game. ONE GAME. Also, the psychomantic battle was a cute gimmick with a cutscene before and a cutscene after the battle. What?

Ultimately, I think Kojima had a chance to create a new video game legend like the original MGS by pushing for accessibility and playing towards the unique aspects of video gaming as a storytelling medium. Instead, it sounds like he went after fan service. This is great for the hardcore MGS fans, but I think it's a missed opportunity.

The original MGS was full of cutscenes all over the place!

How the hell is MGS4 any different than the other ones when it comes to this fact?

*boggle*

gregor7777 said:
Their 8 list shits on their 10 list. At least they got HL2 right.

The 8s definitely blow the 10s out of the water for me. System Shock 2? Thief? ICO? MGS3? These are all among my top 10 games of all time, none of the 10s are even close. And I'm 99% sure MGS4 will be my favorite game ever.

It doesn't mean anything, but... yeah, it doesn't mean anything.

GPsych said:

Overall, I don't think MGS4 is going to have the accessibility that will bring many new players to the table. I just started playing through the MGS series for the first time recently (finished MGS and 9 hours into MGS2) and this is the perfect series for GAFers. It's hard, requires patience, has a very intense and complex storyline, and constantly makes self-referential statements regarding video gaming. However, typical video game players are not GAFers. The long cutscenes filled with information related to multiple other games in a long series is just going to be confusing for most people.

-G

I think Kojima did what he had to do. This isn't the last Metal Gear game, so if they really want to reinvent things they can do that with the next game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Roxas said:
That the bosses arent as good basically. But then again, its pretty much impossible to better MGS3 in that department.
Uh, everyone except the The End and The Boss were jokes. FOX HOUND and Dead Cell is ten times better.

GRID has always been a day one purchase for me, but it's great to see it getting these spectacular reviews, congrats Codemasters. MGS 4 always seemed like an '8' to me, too inaccessible to the mainstream.

KTallguy

Banned
Seiken said:
Uh, everyone except the The End and The Boss were jokes. FOX HOUND and Dead Cell is ten times better.

Yea, I agree.
It looks like Beauty and the Beast will have interesting stories though. That's one thing that Cobra lacked. They all look more memorable.

DigitalSoul said:
I think Kojima did what he had to do. This isn't the last Metal Gear game, so if they really want to reinvent things they can do that with the next game.

Yes, I'm glad he chose to wrap up the MGS series in this way.

When he moves on to new series and ideas, then he can rethink the accessibility thing. But for the MGS fans around the world, he had to deliver something that would make them happy.

I think that MGS gameplay will be super accessible, but the cutscenes and stuff will not be. At this point, honestly, I don't care.

Smokey

90 minute cutscenes..yummy. I've waited for the sequel to mgs2 for 7 years, and the gamer in me cannot fucking wait until the 12th.

traveler

Not Wario
You guys have officially surpassed the old, dedicated Nintendo fans in my mind. Jesus Christ, you're all so frigging transparent- why do you even bother?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
traveler said:
You guys have officially surpassed the old, dedicated Nintendo fans in my mind. Jesus Christ, you're all so frigging transparent- why do you even bother?
What are you talking about?

GPsych

Kintaro said:
It's one game. ONE GAME. Also, the psychomantic battle was a cute gimmick with a cutscene before and a cutscene after the battle. What?

The original MGS was full of cutscenes all over the place!

How the hell is MGS4 any different than the other ones when it comes to this fact?

*boggle*

Cutscenes all over the place are different than a 60 minute long story exposition scene. In many instances, MGS cutscenes did not serve to move along the story, but used the time to shed light on specific tropes overused in video game stories and subtly mock them. I'm specifically referring to the conversation right after the psychomantis fight.

Yes, MGS had lots of cutscenes - too many really. However, that did not appear to be the focus (at least to me, YMMV). MGS is, for lack of a better word, different. I fully accept that this might just be a bizarre perception on my part, as I really only have MGS and MGS2 to compare. Maybe MGS isn't as different as I think.

Nonetheless, 60 minute cutscenes are too over the top, IMHO. Video games, to me, are meant to be played, not watched. I think it's cool (and daring) to focus on the fans of the series. It's just that MGS4 has always been hyped as a unique experience that will push gaming's boundaries. This sounds like a salute to the fanbase.

-G

zoukka

All this shit still continues over a 8, and over a mag that uses the whole 1-10 scale. I'm almost ashamed of being MGS-fan...

Fuck awesome covers btw once again!

PS. Snake Eater had the best bosses in series. Some of them truly awakened only in higher difficulties.

Top Bottom