• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight |OT| The 8-bit adventures of Butt Butt Goes to Europe & Australia

Only heard about this game yesterday, it looks fantastic! I'm not sure if I want it on 3DS, PC or Wii U though. Leaning towards Wii U.

Gambit

at least you people get to make a choice, us PAL plebs are waiting for a release date at all

Wii U will be my choice

Zornack

Gonna grab this on the 3DS. I really hope the 3D is solid on this one.

Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning too, mainly for the 3D. I also think the 3DS XL has a better dpad than the Wii U or the PS4 controller (which is what I'd use on PC).

Letep

I tweeted at Yacht Club with a question about whether or not a save transfer app, such as in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate has, between Wii U and 3DS, is in the cards.

I tweeted at Yacht Club with a question about whether or not a save transfer app, such as in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate has, between Wii U and 3DS, is in the cards.

Shovel Knight doesn't really seem like the type of game that would benefit much from this. Monster Hunter is a massive game.

Regiruler

Game is not going to be all that long. Not sure why you would need it, other than maybe copying over achievements.

Dunbar

Really wish this was releasing at midnight tonight because I'd like to play it tomorrow morning and during lunch. I'd also rather know for sure when I can get it rather than waiting for the eShop to update.

batbeg

Fuck I was thinking it was Thursday as well. I've been sitting here in anticipation on the humble store since getting off work waiting.

Azriell

This game looks so amazing. I love the aesthetic, and how it doesn't just look 8-bit, it looks like it's from the NES at the very end of its life when the graphics started to get impressive. Leaning towards 3DS because I want something new there.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I hope they send out PC codes before the game launches. I can't take any more salt.

Right?

I'm pretty sure you can get the PC code now if you go to the Humble Store Key Resender and type in your email address that you used in the survey.

I can't check it right this second, but when I checked yesterday, you could only still claim a page that does not have any keys on it yet.

Rolodzeo

master-chief-collection-for-xbox-one.jpg

"I need a shovel."

Did not know that the steam version also came out this week, though that it was only Nintendo platforms this week.

That is cool thinking about picking it up this week then ! :)

Chunky

Any inclination as to when the UK release date is? Got my eShop wallet all doshed up, but apparently the date's still TBD? What the fuck!

CDX

Can't wait. Almost wish I'd gotten the Wii U version. They've done a great job utilizing each of the platforms despite 2/3 being stretch goals. I think this will also be the first full release game I'll have gotten out of Kickstarter, so that's also kind of exciting.

For those still on the fence about which version to get (at least between Wii U and 3DS), I'd recommend the Wii U version. I've played both extensively at this point, and while the stereoscopic 3D in the 3DS version does look really great, the way StreetPass is implemented in Shovel Knight isn't all that compelling in my opinion. Plus, a lot of people don't like the 3DS's 3D, and without it on, the game looks significantly worse on the 3DS's low-res screen than it does in HD on the Wii U.

Seeing the fantastic pixel art on a big, beautiful HD screen and having the stupidly awesome Kaufman/Matsumae chip music soundtrack pumped into your ears via legit speakers just takes the already great Shovel Knight experience to a whole new level entirely.

Plus, the Wii U Pro Controller is quite easily the best official controller to play Shovel Knight with. It feels perfectly good on 3DS and on the Wii U GamePad, but the Pro Controller is the way to go if you can swing it.

That said, I did find relic selection to be most convenient via the 3DS's touch screen, but that's not enough of an advantage to recommend the 3DS version more than the Wii U one in my opinion.

Go Wii U if you can. Otherwise, the game is fantastic on any platform you can play it on, so you can't go wrong either way.

Regiruler

Can't wait. Almost wish I'd gotten the Wii U version. They've done a great job utilizing each of the platforms despite 2/3 being stretch goals. I think this will also be the first full release game I'll have gotten out of Kickstarter, so that's also kind of exciting.

Do you mean 3DS and Wii U? Those weren't stretch goals, and were part of the base goal from nearly the beginning of the KS campaign.
EDIT: Just checked, it was announced 5 days in.

cametall

It looks like these guys (and Devolver Digital) will be at Miami Super Con next week. Is Yacht Club Games located in Florida?

Super stoked for Shovel Knight... I thought today was the 26th...

R0ckman

This has the bonus characters that you can play through the game as for no kickstarter buyers too right? I remember the contest to vote for the boss characters to play as.

For those still on the fence about which version to get (at least between Wii U and 3DS), I'd recommend the Wii U version. I've played both extensively at this point, and while the stereoscopic 3D in the 3DS version does look really great, the way StreetPass is implemented in Shovel Knight isn't all that compelling in my opinion. Plus, a lot of people don't like the 3DS's 3D, and without it on, the game looks significantly worse on the 3DS's low-res screen than it does in HD on the Wii U.

Seeing the fantastic pixel art on a big, beautiful HD screen and having the stupidly awesome Kaufman/Matsumae chip music soundtrack pumped into your ears via legit speakers just takes the already great Shovel Knight experience to a whole new level entirely.

Plus, the Wii U Pro Controller is quite easily the best official controller to play Shovel Knight with. It feels perfectly good on 3DS and on the Wii U GamePad, but the Pro Controller is the way to go if you can swing it.

That said, I did find relic selection to be most convenient via the 3DS's touch screen, but that's not enough of an advantage to recommend the 3DS version more than the Wii U one in my opinion.

Go Wii U if you can. Otherwise, the game is fantastic on any platform you can play it on, so you can't go wrong either way.

To be fair, you are forgetting the most important aspect to the 3DS version...portability

Top Bottom