• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

Exactly, if the wording was Exclusively only on Xbox in 2015, then I'd wonder. That wording could still see a one month later release on PS4/PC.

Interesting nonetheless.

you guys are delusional if you think MS coughed up for a month exclusive

it'll be atleast Fall 2016 for a possible PS4 release

or it could be a legit XB1 console exclusive but released on PC ala Splinter Cell Conviction (didnt release on PS3)

Rizsparky

ScottTenormanMustDie30.gif

This thread. wowsers

Well it's an obvious deal from Microsoft's perspective.

It's Square Enix's side where they should have at least demanded a nine figure payment for this (which is almost assuredly more than they got).

If it is full exclusive you think they accepted less than $100 million? There's no way. A middle schooler could crunch the numbers and tell you that's a bad deal.

foxdvd

This is crap...

I have both systems, just so I can play exclusives, but there is no way I am buying this.

You have exclusives that are made in house.

You have exclusives, like the recent Sunset Overdrive, where the developer gets to keep control of their product, so staying on one system makes sense.

You have exclusives, like Bayonetta 2, where one of the big companies helps fund the game which would have never been made otherwise.

With all of these I have no problem buying the game and is the reason I own all the major systems.

Then you have crap like this where one company pays to keep the game off other systems. This is complete anti-consumer shit. This is not helping the gamer. This is not creating exciting content for your fans. This is not making me want to support your company by hiring the most talented artist in the industry and giving them a chance to wow me. This is 100% complete mafia bullshit of taking out all competition and leaving me one single choice.

fuck you I am not supporting this...

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Just won't buy it then I guess. I would argue against all exclusives really (each game should be allowed to be as successful as possible on its own and platforms should compete on other features) this really feels like a step too far though. Feels like MS is back to being consumer hostile to me.

Edit: to expand I feel like it's worth pointing out that this makes me view the Xbox brand quite negatively now. I don't know what they were thinking. Anyway there's plenty of tears in the thread already but these comments do matter a little. I think it's worth people pointing out their feelings.

This has to be the most baffling exclusive game ever. I mean.. why Tomb Raider of all games lol. I cant imagine Square selling 6 million to break even just on the Xbone.

FLAguy954

Did Bayonetta 2 get this sort of response?

It's Bayo 2 all over again, with a sprinkling of additional MS salt.

This is different from the Bayo 2 thread because: 1) Every single last Tomb Raider game has been on either PC or a Playstation platform (shit, even the first Tomb Raider was a timed-exclusive), 2) the most recent iteration was actually supported by it's fan base and sold a respectable amount of copies, with no danger of being canceled or needing to be 'saved.'

This is hilarious. Let's release a game exclusively to the least sold console only

I think this is the first example of a major mp title being released exclusively for a console with the smallest userbase when the last one (ok the Remaster) was also released on market leader.

It's baffling.

sublimit

Banned
Ahahahaha!!Good ridance then Crystal Dynamics and your shitty Tomb Raider (only in name) games.After the final nail in the Tomb Raider coffin that was the 2013 reboot i wouldn't have touched your next game anyway regardless of platform. :)

anddo0

Total exclusive?

Tomb Raider is dead to me. I won't even bother buying Temple of Osiris.

SE doesn't like money I guess. I understand "timed", but total? I'll enjoy watching SE sinking ship. Some bright ones they have working there in the marketing department.

Zushin

Disgusting. Paying millions to stop people playing a game that was coming to your console anyway instead of making original content. Fuck off MS. Yes I am salty, and I don't even like TR that much.

icespide

Banned
As a Wii U owner looking forward to playing Bayo 2 in October, there is no way I can get salty about this.

Yes, Microsoft bought themselves a high profile AAA exclusive. I doubt it'll be the last time they do so, and I doubt Sony won't be doing the same thing as well. AAA games are more expensive than ever. When publishers are running low on funds like Square are, they're going to start looking for more support and guarantees from platform holders. Whatever Microsoft paid, I'm sure it helped cover the initial cost of development for the game.

There is no reason for people to get super salty about this. Microsoft made a good decision, and bought themselves a nice exclusive. Xbone owners have got something else to look forward to now. I doubt I'll play the game anytime in the near future, but I'm sure it'll make for a nice reason to one day pick up a Bone. Anyone who uses this as a jumping off point to go on about the Evil Empire Microsoft, and how this is another example of them ruining things for everyone, and how it needs a definitive PS4 release too, yadda yadda, please. Don't turn this into another Bayo 2 reveal thread. For all we know, Microsoft could have been funding this from the beginning.

Let's all keep our heads here. Every platform is going to have exclusives that everyone wants. It's going to sting sometimes, but that's how exclusivity works.

the Wii U bayo thing is different because the game was basically canceled and Nintendo saved it

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Lol, I don't think half are on xbox. Most likely most fan base is PC because very old series. 1996 I think
Well, when you're trying to attract consumers that didn't buy your console getting a game they bought as an exclusive seems the way to go.

Longer term this move doesn't make sense either. SE are leaving the door open for a competing franchise to come along on PS4 to capture the Uncharted/TLOU fan base. That will just marginalise the Tomb Raider IP if they decide to go multiplatform for the one after.

This feels like a very short term gain for SE, I thought they were out of the woods already with their success on mobile and F2P. Clearly not.

Could be timed. You never know.

Surprising announcement though. This means at the very least the XB1 is going to have Halo 5, Tomb Raider, and Forza 6 for Fall 2015.

suedester

Banned
This is crap...

I have both systems, just so I can play exclusives, but there is no way I am buying this.

You have exclusives that are made in house.

You have exclusives, like the recent Sunset Overdrive, where the developer gets to keep control of their product, so staying on one system makes sense.

You have exclusives, like Bayonetta 2, where one of the big companies helps fund the game which would have never been made otherwise.

With all of these I have no problem buying the game and is the reason I own all the major systems.

Then you have crap like this where one company pays to keep the game off other systems. This is complete anti-consumer shit. This is not helping the gamer. This is not creating exciting content for your fans. This is not making me want to support your company by hiring the most talented artist in the industry and giving them a chance to wow me. This is 100% complete mafia bullshit of taking out all competition and leaving me one single choice.

fuck you I am not supporting this...

Very well put indeed.

If it is full exclusive you think they accepted less than $100 million? There's no way. A middle schooler could crunch the numbers and tell you that's a bad deal.

Depends on whether it's exclusive or "exclusive".

If it's the latter then SE probably though why not. Here's MS trying rolling up a ton of cash for a few months after which we just release in everything else anyways. If it's the former, yea must have been a lot

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Haha, very interesting indeed. Sucks for fanboys, but so does Bloodborne being only on PS4. Will be interesting to see if its timed or not.

Two Words

When Tomb Raider didn't hit Square Enix's ridiculous sales expectations, they determined it was because Tomb Raider was released on too many platforms.

BadWolf

Oh man, the hilarious part is that they kicked the PC fans in the balls to screw over Sony.

Never gonna happen.
Sony isnt that stupid as to let something that will be big to the Japanese public go exclusive to their competitor.

No, its Square that isn't stupid enough to abandon their Japanese fans.

Those series, especially Final Fantasy, are still very much aimed at Japan first.

Sony doesn't have to do anything.

Jonboy

To put this in perspective, the game shipped 6.5 million copies, which is more than the last update we got for Final Fantasy XIII (6.3 million copies).

They actually took the biggest franchise they have and made it exclusive to a system where they'd have to sell to over 50% of the userbase to even get in the realm of their previous success.
Unbelievable.

Klart

XB1 is gradually increasing a lineup that seems attractive to me. A good turnaround.

Increasing? Nothing is increasing. They're just paying so Sony's lineup is diminishing.

They should work on their first party, that would be a good turnaround.

This is just shitty.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
MS epically fucks up the launch of their console and now I can't play the new Tomb Raider, this is why I hate MS.

I know this sounds like a fanboy post but I'm genuinely pissed off, why can't they spend their ridiculous amounts of money on new games instead?

Spaghetti

it's a bit disappointing that microsoft is slipping back into bad habits by throwing money at third parties instead of, well, growing their own first party. then again if they made black tusk only to work on gears, they obviously hadn't learnt anything from last generation.

I thought they'd lock something down, I actually thought it would be a 3rd party title releasing sooner, like chuck money at one of the delayed titles for release early next year.

I am now happy that I own both consoles.

So do I. I don't know if I'll buy this game but the console exclusivity shit has to cease. 1st party titles are logical but 3rd party exclusives is just stupid. It's just blatantly showing how gaming companies don't care at all about consumers but only about money.

Of course they are here to make the more money possible but it seems that all of them are forgetting that all this money wouldn't even been available for negotiation with MS or Sony if it wasn't from us.

It's like some movies weren't available in some theaters because some exclusivity shit was made
I may have given a bad idea to Hollywood here

Top Bottom