• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's Next Project - 'New Halo 3 Campaign Experience'

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
2887759210_78c042ece6_o.gif

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Keyser Soze said:
The only thing that I can fathom from this is that Bungie are preparing to "drop" Halo 3 (hand the multiplayer stuff over to Gearbox), and move onto this game they are showing here.

:lol

winnarps

Also, keep in mind: there's emphasis on just the one drop pod at the end of the teaser. So it could be mainly a single-player game, just like Halo 3, just from a different point of view.

g23

European pre-madonna
SupahBlah said:

They looked soo badass in the game as well that it was only a matter of time before a game about them were made. You gotta admit ODST's were fucking awesome when you first saw them drop alongside you in Halo 2.

7thHelljumpers.jpg

Origins

The Orbital Drop Shock Troopers, or "Helljumpers", have their roots in the paratroopers of 20th and 21st century fame, who dropped frequently behind enemy lines to capture buildings, bridges, and other important military and industrial targets in anticipation for a larger advance by more conventional military forces. Such troops were first used in 1939 by the German Wehrmacht in World War II to overrun the Allied defense forces in Holland and the legendary Eben Emaelfortress in Belgium and later in Operation Overlord on June 5th, when two American Airborne Divisions and one British Airborne Brigade landed behind enemy lines in Normandy, France. The ODSTs also seem to have characteristics from US Navy SEALS and the British SAS from today, highly trained professional soldiers working in small teams in extremely high-priority missions.

However, the origin of dropping humans from orbit comes from the Martian Campaign of 2163, where UN Marines were dropped onto Mars in support of UN forces against the Neo-Communist Koslovics [2]. The ODST's seem to have "always been a part of the UNSC." It may be that the participants of the Argyre Planitia campaign were the predecessors to, or early members of, the first ODST units.[3]
[edit] Human-Covenant War

ODSTs were known to be operating as early as 2525 [4]. The first and most elite division of ODSTs were the 105th Orbital Drop Shock Trooper Division, most known as Helljumpers ,and their phrase "Feet First into Hell!", which quickly gained a reputation as a brutal and effective fighting force. They are often referred to as elite and seem to have a class of their own, often coming right after the Brutes, Elites, and Spartans.

Barring the personnel of the SPARTAN programs, ODSTs are one of the most effective forms of troops available to the UNSC, and the expectations placed on ODST units made them all-volunteer outfits, with some outsiders regarding such volunteers as 'crazy' [5]. By 2552 their strength had swelled to a greater number of divisions in an attempt to fill the demands of the Human-Covenant War.

Some ODSTs actively participated in training the SPARTAN-IIs, but the efficiency of the program was demonstrated when a single adolescent SPARTAN-II killed two ODSTs and left the other two severely wounded during an exercise. These fatalities resulted in ODSTs having a disdain of the SPARTANS, as they were "freaks" in Silva's opinion and not even worthy of being called Human.

They also got beef with the Spartans too, maybe we will see a tutorial flashback where we see ODST's training with the many Spartans that used to exist.

ThatGuy

I hate to say that, BUT i was absolutely right with a short CGI trailer which says nothing like the "God of War 3" trailer. :D

joey_z

Banned
Talon- said:
I'm not sure what this means, but when the Superintendent screen starts scrolling through messages, it says "Maddie, where are you?" for a moment.

Personal story in the game? I didn't pay attention to ILB, so does anyone know if Maddie was a character in that? Here's a screen.

Leave it to Bungie to ensure the 'personal story' only remains in the ARG and perhaps written documents found in the game.

I HATE HALO. WHY IS THERE MORE HALO.

Atilac said:
damn.... I didn't remember that scene. Why are they deploying so close to the ground?

Lower orbit drop? Possible that they stay attached to avoid collisions in larger deployments?

Who knows!

ThatGuy said:
I hate to say that, BUT i was absolutely right with a short CGI trailer which says nothing like the "God of War 3" trailer. :D

If you watch the low bandwidth version once out of the corner of your eye maybe.

lol at the outrage. You guys need to manage your own expectations a little better. Everyone wants to know everything at once, but I've come to expect the constant tickling of my ass with a feather from Bungle.

It's just how they do it.

soldat7

g23 said:
I just hope its a whole new game and not just some DLC content...

I mean it did have the Xbox logo at the end soo it must be a new game.

I hope it's just DLC. I want a new game (Halo 4, Marathon, Phoenix, etc) from Bungie.

Chinner

Banned
Trailer is up on marketplace.Description:

"Halo 3 Keep it clean. [PEGI: 16+ ] High action and deep mystery await players in this new halo 3 campaign experience. Perpare to drop!"

McBradders said:
I'm guessing firstly it's a Halo 3 expansion that takes place on earth after the Master Chief leaves for the Halo 3 halo... and you're cleaning up his mess. ¬_¬

PROFOUND.

Well the "explosion" in the city looks like the scene where they jumpspace as opposed to the ark opening.

I imagine it would start there and then carry us through the event son Earth as Chief goes to High Charity and back, and perhaps even into the Halo 3 time line.

Maybe I am wrong... It is a Halo 3 game or expansion or whatever, so it would have to be part of its' time line in some fashion. Maybe it's just on there for marketing? Or that's what they are calling it for right now.

electricpirate said:
At the end of the trailer, a single "thing" is streaking towards the ground. Spartan, or just random debris?

Oooh good point. Remember the Neill Blomkamp short videos where the ODST team was attempting to lase the falling Master Chief to ascertain his landing area?

GhaleonEB

Hmmm. If it's New Mombassa, it's been re-imagined. The space tether + white explosion made me thing it was, but visually it was very different in Halo 2.

Here's New Mombassa in Halo 2:

NewMombassa.jpg

The city shot from this teaser:

Keepitcleancity.jpg

And here's the two explosions, first from Halo 2 and then from this teaser:

Halo2explosion.jpg

Cleanexplosion.jpg

Not really sure what to think now.

Revengeance said:
lol at the outrage. You guys need to manage your own expectations a little better. Everyone wants to know everything at once, but I've come to expect the constant tickling of my ass with a feather from Bungle.

It's just how they do it.

People are pissed because this announcement was delayed 3 months only to find the trailer explains absolutely nothing. I think it's a reasonable complaint. It doesn't bother me, but I still would of liked the water to be cleared up.

TDG

Banned
Chinner said:

"Halo 3 Keep it clean. [PEGI: 16+ ] High action and deep mystery await players in this new halo 3 campaign experience. Perpare to drop!"
Awesome. So maybe it's like a short, very polished Halo 3 "episode" a la Half-Life 2.

That'd definitely be very cool.

Chinner said:

you gotta think, there are new skull achievements... campaign continuation would make sense.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
electricpirate said:
At the end of the trailer, a single "thing" is streaking towards the ground. Spartan, or just random debris?
Yeah, who knows. And at the beginning, the pods that the SI zooms in on:

16pods.png

16 of them. 16p co-op confirmed, lol.

joey_z

Banned
FirewalkR said:
That's what I was thinking. In Portugal no less... however... I doubt they'd refer to that since it could very easily backfire.

Surely it would be in very poor taste and I don't think anyone would expect Bungie to do that consciously but it's hard to think otherwise.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Ghaleon, it's 100% New Mombasa. Not sure when, but it's definitely that city. There is a sign at one point that says so, and on the SI's green screen it has a little logo that says New Mombasa.

GhaleonEB

Chinner said:

FUCK YES
Cocopjojo said:
Ghaleon, it's 100% New Mombasa. Not sure when, but it's definitely that city. There is a sign at one point that says so, and on the SI's green screen it has a little logo that says New Mombasa.
Ah, I missed both. Yay.

GhaleonEB said:
Hmmm. If it's New Mombassa, it's been re-imagined. The space tether + white explosion made me thing it was, but visually it was very different in Halo 2.

I think we're on to something.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
GhaleonEB said:

Looks like the difference between last gen in game and CG to me.

Colour palettes give it away.

joey_z

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

Quite sure it's reimagined. The Halo 2 pictures would have looked horrible in CG and the layout would make for a ver uninspired tactical shooter.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
So I was wrong and this is New Mombasa or very close to it. However, the orbital elevator is still standing (though looks pretty beat up now). Also, who would the enemy be for this? How many convenant were left after the slipspace jump? The force jumping to Earth was pretty small in Halo 2 since they weren't expecting it to be the humans home planet. Also, the flood references are confusing since there was no sign of flood on Earth until Halo 3. Interesting...

Hero

Alright. So basically there's a Halo 3 Expansion back with both Campaign and Matchmaking content?

Did it really need to be unveiled like this and shrouded in mystery?

GhaleonEB

Cocopjojo said:
Yeah, who knows. And at the beginning, the pods that the SI zooms in on:

16pods.png

16 of them. 16p co-op confirmed, lol.
Ha, I was just counting them. Yup, that's my thought as well.

New Halo 3 campaign, featuring ODSTs?

Sign me the fuck up.

Falagard

Haha oh man.

A mixture of disappointment in having no clear idea who the enemy is going to be, and excitement at the idea of playing as helljumpers.

The set up is clear - this is New Mombasa right after the explosion. Helljumpers were jumping in as reinforcements just as the explosion was taking place. Then some time after the explosion takes place, a solitary ODST comes jumping down.

Who are you fighting? Remaining Covenant forces?

The reason this is a Halo 3 expansion and not Halo 4 is because you're not fighting as the Master Chief.

Also, I predicted a long time ago that Bungie might re-use the Halo 3 engine for their next game instead of going back to the drawing board and creating a whole new engine. A lot of time was invested in the Halo 3 engine and toolset and it makes sense to release another game using the same engine instead of spending 2 years on development technology while at the same time attempting to build a game on top of new and technology.

It makes sense in the same way that we might actually see 3 Mass Effect games in this console generation because they're using a well established engine.

*Edit*

You're the clean up crew who is supposed to fight the few Covenant forces left behind in the city.

Dirtbag

I'm not sure what to think about this yet.

1). Why was this held from E3? This decision makes even less sense then before
2). Is this just an expansion pack? Really?
3). Trailer looked awesome. Well done ad. They should run those on tv, just like that.
4). Where / What is the secret press event? I'd guess the cat's out the bag now.
5). When do we see more?

soldat7

Chinner said:

Thanks goodness. I still want new IPs from Bungie and this sounds like a mere Halo 3 expansion pack.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Question: given that the achievements are already fired up, plus this is just a campaign expansion... can we expect it THIS HOLIDAY???

Wizpig said:
Some [almost all] of the new Halo 3 Achievements they added yesterday will be unlockable in this new expansion.

That doesn't make any sense because one of the skulls is an "Assembly Skull" which is a multiplayer map. They aren't tide to the new project.

DancingJesus said:
People are pissed because this announcement was delayed 3 months only to find the trailer explains absolutely nothing. I think it's a reasonable complaint. It doesn't bother me, but I still would of liked the water to be cleared up.
I think that the reveal MS canceled would have been more extensive. For them to incite the ire of Bungie fans over a 1 minute teaser? Doesn't seem worth it. (damn - beated by dirtbag)

Now that we're well past the E3 craziness, I'd expect the drip feed to commence.

Also - campaign expansion!! Holla.

Top Bottom