• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - Helghan TRAILER (Must See)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Onix said:
The engine is dramatically different than what is used in most games ... parts of the engine's feature set was dictated by the artists (that's why there is tons of filtering we've never really seen before) ... the budget is insane. It's basically been given as much money as needed to pull off the graphics they want to do.
Yeah, they clearly put a LOT of work into this graphics engine. I'd say this is seriously one of the most impressive looking games I've ever seen. I just can't believe how incredible it looks. I'd say, at this time, there isn't a single console game yet released (or releasing soon) that looks this impressive.

ianp622

Wax Free Vanilla said:
i don't care about those publications or their numerical scores.

killzone 2 steps up while resistance 2 takes a fall. personally, i won't be wasting my hard earned cash on trash like resistance 2 when the real deal is only four months away.

I don't care what you think about Resistance 2, but it's really insensitive to insult a great game like Resistance 2, especially when there are Insomniac devs who read these forums.

Loudninja

ianp622 said:
I don't care what you think about Resistance 2, but it's really insensitive to insult a great game like Resistance 2, especially when there are Insomniac devs who read these forums.

What I dot get people bash RS2 to praise KS2, I don't get this behavior all of a sudden.

Pallaris

Sadly I haven't been able to play the beta, but those of you talking it up had better be honest about this shit. The cynic in me (what can I say this gen has sucked in terms of performance so far) just knows there'll be something fundamentally fucking flawed about the technical aspect that'll bring it down...from dodgy framerate to screen tearing/lod issues.... I normally have a good eye for this stuff but the poor quality youtube stuff has proved inconclusive.

Could this finally be the one that lives up to the promise?

Very impressed with the trailer either way.

Raistlin

dark10x said:
Yeah, they clearly put a LOT of work into this graphics engine. I'd say this is seriously one of the most impressive looking games I've ever seen. I just can't believe how incredible it looks. I'd say, at this time, there isn't a single console game yet released (or releasing soon) that looks this impressive.

I completely agree.

Didn't much like the trailer, I find it very difficult to connect to the narrative - never played the original for obvious reasons and I should imagine there's many others like me, I respect the whole 'dropped in to the action' approach' but I'd prefer a trailer to introduce the Helghast and explain it all a bit more, are they human? why's everyone fighting? hard to get excited without knowing the context.

That said, animations are incredible - especially liked the bit where the bloke turns the corner on the gantry and slips to the side while running, fantastic to see a developer spending so much time on animation.

Firewire

Banned
i hate bees said:
Didn't much like the trailer, I find it very difficult to connect to the narrative - never played the original for obvious reasons and I should imagine there's many others like me, I respect the whole 'dropped in to the action' approach' but I'd prefer a trailer to introduce the Helghast and explain it all a bit more, are they human? why's everyone fighting? hard to get excited without knowing the context.

That said, animations are incredible - especially liked the bit where the bloke turns the corner on the gantry and slips to the side while running, fantastic to see a developer spending so much time on animation.

The whole storyline behind Killzone is deep, very deep. If they tried to present it in a trailer it would be an epic 2.5hr movie at least. But if you want to get into it, and understand the Killzone universe hit www.killzone.com its the best place to get the goods.

Nafai1123

Banned
5otji8.jpg

I can't get over that shot. It seriously looks like concept art.

Firewire said:
The whole storyline behind Killzone is deep, very deep. If they tried to present it in a trailer it would be an epic 2.5hr movie at least. But if you want to get into it, and understand the Killzone universe hit www.killzone.com its the best place to get the goods.

Website's down at the moment, nice error message though. I'm not too concerned about knowing everything, but a brief recap would be nice in one of the future trailers, even if it's just someone narrating it over the top of the footage.

Durante

Every time I see new media of this game I am conflicted. On the one hand I marvel at the technical and visual achievement, on the other hand I whish it was used on a genre or setting that holds even the slightest bit of interest for me.

Anyway, I hope guerrilla do another in-depth technical presentation like the July 07 one once the game is done.

Rikyfree

Firewire said:
Aye, the whole story takes place over 300 years, very hard to tell in a single trailer. Also, people need to show R2 some love, I mean I'm looking forward more to KZ2, but I know to give R2 its due.

wowee @ shots

Rikyfree said:
Aye, the whole story takes place over 300 years, very hard to tell in a single trailer. Also, people need to show R2 some love, I mean I'm looking forward more to KZ2, but I know to give R2 its due.
QFT.

Firewire said:
That's the first time I've read a synopsis for a videogame story
ok, second time
, and I got to say that it is a pretty interesting setup. The way I understood it the Helghast aren't really the bad guys in the story but rather the victims, thrown off their home planet (a human colony) to a Dune-esque planet of hardship. They're more like Fremen then generic Nazi-type villains. :p

I wonder what they'll do with it in-game (you'll play as a mercenary group or something right?).

BeeDog said:
Mega-HD version:

http://www.fz.se/filer/?id=7689

Press the big-ass red button to download.

You are a prince among men.

Edit: err... maybe not. Link doesn't want to work. Just keeps spitting moon language at me.

Edit 2: OK, looks like some prayer and fiddling got it to magically work after a minute or two of waiting on the page. Thanks.

or a princess among top womens. Who knows.

Schrade

NullPointer said:
You are a prince among men.

Edit: err... maybe not. Link doesn't want to work. Just keeps spitting moon language at me.

Edit 2: OK, looks like some prayer and fiddling got it to magically work after a minute or two of waiting on the page. Thanks.

or a princess among top womens. Who knows.
Use the torrent I posted. Would probably be much faster, too.

Mifune

Mehmber
I think Killzone 2 is probably the most incredible looking console game I've seen.

But this trailer, I don't know. It looked oddly blocky and jaggy. I probably just need to see it on a TV.

Schrade

Mifune said:
I think Killzone 2 is probably the most incredible looking console game I've seen.

But this trailer, I don't know. It looked oddly blocky and jaggy. I probably just need to see it on a TV.
Err.. which version were you looking at? The horribly compressed VP6 version in an .flv container or the 720p MP4 version which was just released on the Killzone site today?

MoeB said:
The game looks fantastic.
8.9 for presentation on gametrailers confirmed.

ROFL. So true. Gametrailers will probably also mess up the black levels and overcompress the video to try and make it look bad, too.

SolidSnakex said:
]http://i37.tinypic.com/n1zecj.jpg[/img]
http://i38.tinypic.com/2lcrya0.jpg[/img]
http://i37.tinypic.com/30sbj1w.jpg[/img]
http://i36.tinypic.com/53oa3t.jpg[/img]
http://i38.tinypic.com/qxt7if.jpg[/img]
http://i36.tinypic.com/29x64ox.jpg[/img]
http://i36.tinypic.com/287ztoi.jpg[/img]
http://i36.tinypic.com/2vnm1io.jpg[/img]

Good sweet mother!

They almost look like concept art renders!

RiverBed

Banned
amazing. I just had an apifiny; the powers that be command me to do everything and get every trophy in this game. and I gladly accept this awesome chore!

there is something worriying me, being the sneaky sniper type that I am, wouldn't my three red glowing eyes give me up in a dark corner somewhere, or do you only spot the Helghast eyes at close proximity?

it may be a little thing, but I just thought about it looking at the awesome sniper in the trailer.

Rikyfree

Posted yet?http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/10/28/eurogamer-expo-killzone-2-playtest/
They say the AI is pretty good. So out goes that argument.

FTA-

"The weapons had a chunky feel to them and were excellently weighted, your companion AI wasn’t getting in your face every five minutes, the enemies have an almost F.E.A.R.-like sense of self-preservation, and the game isn’t easy. In fact, every box on our, “What makes an FPS great” checklist was ticked. Conversely, our, “What makes an FPS shit” checklist was bare."

Bah. The new trailer won't play on my PC in either WMP, Quicktime, or MediaSource.

I was downloading it on my ps3 via Killzone.com, but kz.com crapped out, so it won't finish. :(

FFChris

dark10x said:

I totally agree. That trailer was rediculous.

The engine though, will Sony be able to use it in other internal games? Is Guerilla first party?

BeeDog

I hope this game is chock full of Brian Cox voiceovers; if fulfilled, I couldn't care less if the game sucks, I wanna be enveloped and mesmerized by his 'soothing' voice. Zomg

Top Bottom