• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - Helghan TRAILER (Must See)

-Winnie-

Hazaro said:
You'd think that would be something they would of played up, maybe after R2 comes out. :D
No :(

Main plus would have to be Helghast pistol + starting gun >>> ISA crap
That shotgun secondary never gets old. So useful too.

Plus you know, the awesome narratives and speeches you would hear.

I would totally love an unexpected 'switcheroo' on the same level as Raiden in MGS2. Let's say you start Killzone 2, you see the scene where Sev and co. land on Helghan. They hit the ground and then BAM, Sev is dead and you take control of the Helghast who just killed him.

I wish. D:

scoobs

killzone 2 is probably the first shooter since cod4 that i've been seriously hyped for. The graphics GOOD LORD MY EYES THEY BLEED!

Rikyfree

Private Hoffman said:
wat.

what did he say about the finished game?

He just said he should have stole a copy :D , and only said stuff that was revealed from the trailer you just saw.
Like the train level, wind actually slows your movement because it's going so fast, and there's a whole bunch of stuff flying around while it's going on.

iceatcs said:
Wow, not that I mean it is good. (of course it is awesome :p)
I mean GT really FUCK it up, why cropped top and left side. Stupid Garry!
gametrailers... more like gameFAILers... how could they fuck this up... seriously!

Rikyfree said:
He just said he should have stole a copy :D , and only said stuff that was revealed from the trailer you just saw. Like the train level, wind actually slows your movement because it's going so fast, and there's a whole bunch of stuff flying around while it's going on.

So he didn't tell you how long it was or how good the story was; anything like that?

itxaka

Defeatist
2 things.

1) do the game has a third person camera?

2)Can you play as the hellgast (Or whatever is their name)? They are soooo much coooler than humans that I want to play with them. That sniper is totally awesome designed.

The only thing I didn't like it is that the movements seems to be slow, like jumping over things and that it looked much more better in the old trailer. Could be because I'm on chrome (as gifs run like at 3 fps on chorme) or did they change it to make it more real (That armor has to slow them)?

BeeDog

I'm late to the party, but pretty sweet trailer! I'm glad they showed a bit more varying stuff this time around, and the game looks as good as always. The artstyle is the best thing about it, it's unparallelled by other games imo.

The voice-over though was pretty lame :lol , but the Brian Cox lines were <3. He's the fucking shit.

Dever

Banned
itxaka said:
2 things.

1) do the game has a third person camera?

2)Can you play as the hellgast (Or whatever is their name)? They are soooo much coooler than humans that I want to play with them. That sniper is totally awesome designed.

The only thing I didn't like it is that the movements seems to be slow, like jumping over things and that it looked much more better in the old trailer. Could be because I'm on chrome (as gifs run like at 3 fps on chorme) or did they change it to make it more real (That armor has to slow them)?

1. No

2. Yeah in multiplayer at least

itxaka

Defeatist
Dever said:
1. No

2. Yeah in multiplayer at least

1)fuck I love the design of the guys, a third person camera will be so awesome. It will probably break the game but so awesome xD

2) Awesome x10000. I want to pick that guy.

Rikyfree

hours total time there.... and
2 or 3
spent talking and junk with the devs....do the math. Also, how do you become a full member here?

StuBurns

Banned
Does anyone else think the visuals are almost 'too' good for the platform?
Why does nothing else look anything like this? I'm not saying it's fake, clearly the beta is running on peoples home consoles. But I wonder if the game would have looked like this had they not decided to show that CG trailer. There was so much pressure for them to deliver that standard of visuals (and I think the pretty much have, it's a lot better in places) I think they put more resources into it than anyone else. I can't imagine they always knew they could get it looking like this when everything else is miles behind them.

Just looking at it in comparison to something like MGS4 (which I adore, I'm not shitting on it), both games are kind of similar in level size and the whole battlefield feel to them, but this looks like it's on a completely different system, and Kojima claimed they maxed the PS3 out. It's also running much more solid, and at 720p apparently, which MGS4 missed on. It's an interesting comparison, because just after the E3 CG KZ2 trailer, we saw the TGS'05 MGS4 trailer, which was considerably beyond what they actually achieved.

BeeDog

stuburns said:
Why does nothing else look anything like this? I'm not saying it's fake, clearly the beta is running on peoples home consoles. But I wonder if the game would have looked like this had they not decided to show that CG trailer. There was so much pressure for them to deliver that standard of visuals (and I think the pretty much have, it's a lot better in places) I think they put more resources into it than anyone else. I can't imagine they always knew they could get it looking like this when everything else is miles behind them.

Just looking at it in comparison to something like MGS4 (which I adore, I'm not shitting on it), both games are kind of similar in level size and the whole battlefield feel to them, but this looks like it's on a completely different system, and Kojima claimed they maxed the PS3 out.

You already said it, it was the pressure that got to them. In hindsight, the backlash from the first CG trailer has done wonders. :lol

Wollan

stuburns said:
Kojima claimed they maxed the PS3 out.
You are taking the wording a bit too specifically. Kojima Productions applied all their skills and knowledge towards squeezing every inch of performance they could muster from the PS3. It doesn't mean they have taken the absolute optimal use of the hardware, it just means they did the best they could.

stuburns said:

Just looking at it in comparison to something like MGS4 (which I adore, I'm not shitting on it), both games are kind of similar in level size and the whole battlefield feel to them, but this looks like it's on a completely different system, and Kojima claimed they maxed the PS3 out. It's also running much more solid, and at 720p apparently, which MGS4 missed on. It's an interesting comparison, because just after the E3 CG KZ2 trailer, we saw the TGS'05 MGS4 trailer, which was considerably beyond what they actually achieved.

MGS4 didn't max out the PS3 at all. Loading and lots of it (not to mention installs) and sub 720p. Uncharted puts MGS4 to shame.

Wollan

Uncharted 2 and Gow 3 will most likely show us the upper echelon of what's possible with the hardware.

What Naughty Dog did in the two years creating Uncharted is kinda mind blowing.
They started from a blank sheet, no boiling plate code or anything remained from the previous games. They shifted over from their custom language to mostly C++ too have the code be readable for external teams.

They made the gigantic leap of moving from PS2 graphics (where shading techniques..etc didn't have much presence though ND did 'impossible' things there on the system), researched and developed all their various techniques for Uncharted.

ND created the backbone for the shared technologies of SCEWWS during that short time period, the ICE engine. They started from scratch. They made Uncharted.

Most effective team ever.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If the gameplay is as good as the visuals then I'm sold.

GG have yet to really blow me away from a gameplay perspective though. KZ1 was only adequate.

StuBurns

Banned
Wollan said:
Uncharted 2 and Gow 3 will most likely show us the upper echelon of what's possible with the hardware.
You think Uncharted 2 is going to look better than KZ2?
Uncharted 1 is the best looking game on the console at the moment, but this looks like a considerable jump, and not just visually, effects, animations, level size, amount of enemies in an area at any time. It's a huge leap.

Rikyfree said:
I need to know how to block words with that black so I can give the info I know lol. I dont want to give spoilers.
You type [spiler] then [/spiler] (I've removed the o's so it shows up).
And you are a real member.

Wollan

stuburns said:
The underlying code of Uncharted 2 will actually heat up your monitor by browsing it. Programmers at ND are required to have UV filters covering the screens.

Rikyfree

stuburns said:
Uncharted 1 is the best looking game on the console at the moment, but this looks like a considerable jump, and not just visually, effects, animations, level size, amount of enemies in an area at any time. It's a huge leap.

You type [spiler] then [/spiler] (I've removed the o's so it shows up).
And you are a real member.
Thank you very much.

Rikyfree said:
hours total time there.... and spent talking and junk with the devs....do the math. Also, how do you become a full member here?

what?

how many hours? what about the story

edit: I saw your edit.

Wow.

If it's
14 hours total
for the single player game, that would be very impressive. It seems most FPS games these days are only 6-8.

stuburns said:

What's even more perplexing to me is that the KZ2 beta is only 500 MB, while Resistance 2 is over 2 gigs.

Yet, there's so much detail in the world of KZ2 that it's insane that they've been able to efficiently manage it in such a compact way that it can fit on 500 MB for three fairly large maps.

Wollan said:

They started from a blank sheet, no boiling plate code or anything remained from the previous games. They shifted over from their custom language to mostly C++ too have the code be readable for external teams.

They made the gigantic leap of moving from PS2 graphics (where shading techniques..etc didn't have much presence though ND did 'impossible' things there on the system), researched and developed all their various techniques for Uncharted.

ND created the backbone for the shared technologies of SCEWWS during that short time period, the ICE engine. They started from scratch. They made Uncharted.

Just imagine how good Uncharted 2 will be with all of that infrastructure work out of the way?

The mind boggles at the thought of how good Uncharted 2 will be now that they can sit down and focus on refinements.

StuBurns

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
I've already dumped like 45 hours into the beta. With 3 maps. Multiplayer only.

Can't wait for the real thing.
I need to get in, if there are any GG guy's at the Expo in a couple of hours, I'm going to bug them till they give me a code.

Wollan said:

Look at the jump between Jak & Daxter, Jak II, and Jak 3. Uncharted 2 certainly won't be the best we'll see out of the ps3. :D

Especially if Sony can keep cutting down on the amount of memory the OS uses, freeing up even more resources for devs.

Private Hoffman said:
What's even more perplexing to me is that the KZ2 beta is only 500 MB, while Resistance 2 is over 2 gigs.

Yet, there's so much detail in the world of KZ2 that it's insane that they've been able to efficiently manage it in such a compact way that it can fit on 500 MB for three fairly large maps.
That got me as well. Hell, compared to most DEMOS, half a gig is nothing.

Rikyfree

***NOTICE***. +-[{DO NOT READ MY POSTS IN BLACK IF YOU WANT TO BE SURPRISED ABOUT LENGTH AND OTHER THINGS. THEY ARE SPOILERS IN SOME REGARDS.}]-+

JimiNutz

Banned
Holy shit that floored me.
Graphically it is absolutely amazing and seems to just keep on getting better. Fuck knows how good it'll look in February! :lol

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Private Hoffman said:

Lots of stuff that's precomputed in R2 is dynamic in Killzone 2.

Blimblim said:
Lots of stuff that's precomputed in R2 is dynamic in Killzone 2.

That's a good point, but the textures for instance are VERY good in Killzone 2. Much better than Resistance 2, in fact. They are razor sharp and there's a lot of diverse texture assets.

But yeah the lighting and everything is all dynamic and wonderful.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Private Hoffman said:
That's a good point, but the textures for instance are VERY good in Killzone 2. Much better than Resistance 2, in fact. They are razor sharp and there's a lot of diverse texture assets.

But yeah the lighting and everything is all dynamic and wonderful.
Well, lightmaps for example take quite a lot of space.
Killzone 2 tech's is so awesome, I'm floored every time I see this game.

DrPirate

Banned
On the topic of the demo size.

Wasn't it stated one level is 2 gigabytes?

I would assume that it's in the realm of possibility (feel free to stop me if you think I'm reaching) that the textures and graphical quality is a "compressed" state?

StuBurns

Banned
DrPirate said:
On the topic of the demo size.

Wasn't it stated one level is 2 gigabytes?

I would assume that it's in the realm of possibility (feel free to stop me if you think I'm reaching) that the textures and graphical quality is a "compressed" state?
They did say the first level was 2GB yeah, but the levels in KZ1 were really quite long. The MP maps are probably much smaller, and they don't have any scripting I guess.

stuburns said:
KZ1's campaign was pretty short I think, I'd be surprised to see it lasting more than 10 hours.

My memory of KZ1's campaign is that it was pretty lenthy and epic.

Pretty poor and buggy gameplay though. Saying that I did enjoy it a little.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Rikyfree said:
He just said he should have stole a copy :D , and only said stuff that was revealed from the trailer you just saw.
Like the train level, wind actually slows your movement because it's going so fast, and there's a whole bunch of stuff flying around while it's going on.

Hey, what's your friend's name?

So I can slap him with an NDA violation~

StuBurns

Banned
BadlyCookedTurkey said:
My memory of KZ1's campaign is that it was pretty lenthy and epic.

Pretty poor and buggy gameplay though. Saying that I did enjoy it a little.
I know I finished it in one day, it was a few years ago though, could be longer than I remember.

Bad_Boy said:
and people said cod4 looked as good, some said better.

um... ok.

blackjesus_avatar.gif

Change "you" to "they"

Top Bottom