• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing character design

hteng

Banned
sc2nightmare.jpg

sc4-pub-ss-nightmare-002.jpg

largeAnimePaperscans_Guilty-Gear_ka.jpg

dabookerman said:
Why does every female kid character these days need to be a goth loli? Especially in a post apocalyptic setting. It's stupid.
[/IMG]

O_O What are you yapping about? I can't think of any goth lolis in any other games other than blazblue. SC4 has some goth design but no lolis. Can you even name three other games?

Anyway, too many people in this thread are mistaking this thread for a "post your favorite characters" instead of "favorite character designs"

If games like Zelda, Halo, or SF had never been made, nobody would be claiming these designs of a peter pan kid with a sword or a generic green space man or a karate man with the sleeves cut off would be amazing character designs.

Character designs stand alone, apart from personalities of the characters or how iconic they happen to be. Use your heads, people.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Halcyon, you certainly love your anime... Don't really have much else to say.

Thread needs less: Crappy, generic, repetitive, stupid, overly flamboyant, middle school anime characters.

Thread needs more: TEAM FORTRESS FUCKING TWO!

ecstatictf2.jpg

tf2_soldier.jpg

pyro-copy.jpg

TF2demoman038.jpg

meetthescoutcockydq4.jpg

19560.jpg

01.jpg

Team-Fortress-2-Spy-Games.jpg

tf2_medic.jpg

akachan ningen said:
Character designs stand alone, apart from personalities of the characters or how iconic they happen to be. Use your heads, people.

You're thinking of costume design, like pretty much everyone else in this thread.

Graphics Horse said:
You're thinking of costume design, like pretty much everyone else in this thread.

No, this isn't a thread about movies and it's not in OT. Games don't have costume designers, they have character designers.

Do we have every videogame character in history in here yet? A lot of these designs could compete for "least likely to ever exist in reality" or "most unnecessarily accessorized". Very few of them strike me as well-designed.

Juvenile, over-the-top design comes with the territory, of course. But I find it funny to see it celebrated as "amazing".

antiloop

Leondexter said:
Do we have every videogame character in history in here yet? A lot of these designs could compete for "least likely to ever exist in reality" or "most unnecessarily accessorized". Very few of them strike me as well-designed.

Juvenile, over-the-top design comes with the territory, of course. But I find it funny to see it celebrated as "amazing".

I can't see the pics you posted. Something wrong with your image hosting service?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
akachan ningen said:
O_O What are you yapping about? I can't think of any goth lolis in any other games other than blazblue. SC4 has some goth design but no lolis. Can you even name three other games

I don't play many J-RPG:s, but Persona 3 and (iirc) The World Ends With you are two other kinda recent games where you've got stuff somewhat like that. And I'm sure you can find a lot more like that too.

akachan ningen said:
O_O What are you yapping about? I can't think of any goth lolis in any other games other than blazblue. SC4 has some goth design but no lolis. Can you even name three other games?

I humbly accept your challenge.

AmyHQartwork.jpg

943675_20071217_screen015.jpg

420779-loretta_large.png

Ashley_and_Red_WarioWare_Touched.png

Fleurette.jpg

castlevania-judgment-maria.png

Fine, I didn't mean literally every kid character, and I also did not necessarily mean loli in the literal sense, but whenever I see really young girls in games that I play there is always at least one gothic type character.

None of the examples I came up with mean they are bad designs, I'm sure there are more, but these are the only ones I can think of as of now. I don't play a load of Jrpgs but I am sure there are many more.

Squeak

Sin and Punishment's art is great, both ingame and handdrawn.
366184_49479_front.jpg

Org.:
a-sin.jpg

No single shots really do justice to the way the game looks, but anyway:
frame_lead.php

Great use of few polygons and small textures to create a style based around that, instead of downscaling higher res models.
Also, awesome use of colour and camera.

domlolz

Banned
Why do these threads always turn into east vs. west art?

The people who post saying "bald space marines blah blah" then go on to post pretty mediocre typical anime character designs then those who post "anime emo belts blah blah" post mediocre western character design

Both markets have great character design even if you don't want to believe it

rengoku2_1600.jpg
rengoku_11_qjpreviewth.jpg

The character designs in Rengoku/Rengoku 2 are some of my favourites...the strange mix of biomecha tickles my fancy. Not to mention, the actual game features some really good aesthetic character changes depending on weapon assignment. To a lesser extent, it's nice to see classic literature (yep, dependable ol' Dante's Divine Comedy) squeezed into a nice, dark cyberpunk dungeon crawler.

Again, great character designs.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
OP asks which designs you enjoy personally. So there's no absolute right there. I just find it interesting that so many people like stuff I find confusing and weird.. Then again, I prefer effective design.

Giard

Gonna try and go for new stuff...

gant-wahahaa.gif

Really like his design (and his theme song). And he was modeled after ZEUS. Fricking ZEUS.

RedArremer.jpg

Awesome. And evil, but not too much. Kinda.

zoku88 said:
You picked a guy to show of his work. Seriously? :lol

Btw, I think the Flight Plan person is Kouhaku Kuroboshi. 黒星紅白

Wiki said so, at least. And I've been to his site before and recognize the art.

Randy is fucking pimp. Don't hate.

Tr4nce

MI1_cover_art_Guybrush.jpg

For me personally, one of the greatest videogame characters ever. This guy has had so many dumb remarks, questions, remarks and funny jokes. He is one of the best characters ever created.

Esch

Banned
agree with all the shinkawa stuff in this thread

http://wallpapers.dpics.org/wallpapers/18/Prince_of_Persia_-_The_Sands_of_Time,_2003.jpg

Awesome. I love the prince.

http://soulcaliburuniverse.com/images/sc4/3dchars/siegfried.jpg

http://soulcaliburuniverse.com/images/sc4/3dchars/mitsurugi.jpg

These two are always cool.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4240/imagessxo6.jpg

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/goldensun/images/thumb/4/42/Gs-isaac.jpg/250px-Gs-isaac.jpg

Golden Sun's art style is somewhat generic anime but i really like the clothing and architecture of the buildings, and the characters stand out to me.

http://www.ripten.com/wp-content/gallery/killzone-concept-art/killzone-concept-art-15.jpg

Can't wait to see this come to life. Love Killzone 2 and KZ1's art. Yes I know what it's ripped from. Don't care.

http://fc29.deviantart.com/fs14/f/2007/117/5/c/Prince_Arthas_Menethil_by_pulyx.jpg

Love everything Blizzard does art and character wise. They do high fantasy and space marines right dammit. Two gaming cliches and they make it vibrant and unique.

eXistor

Tr4nce said:
MI1_cover_art_Guybrush.jpg

For me personally, one of the greatest videogame characters ever. This guy has had so many dumb remarks, questions, remarks and funny jokes. He is one of the best characters ever created.
While that is very true, the thread is kinda about the actual character design not the character itself.

zoukka

These threads are always pure concentrations of horrible taste. This one is not an exception to the rule.

Carry on...

starkiller1-1.jpg

OMG :lol

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
sciplore said:
Are you serious or is this a mockery of the killzone 2 designs and that anime it stole "heavily borrowed" from post?

I spent a LOT of time down in the Visualisation office and I never saw any Jinroh reference art. Once you've taken the Nazi uniform as your base and decided to go the fully enclosed armour route, is it really possible to get anything that DOESN'T look like that?

Not saying they don't look similar, but just saying that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, so to speak.

zoukka

Iain Howe said:
Once you've taken the Nazi uniform as your base and decided to go the fully enclosed armour route, is it really possible to get anything that DOESN'T look like that?

Yes.

Neiteio

Hey guys, OP here. Some great stuff is being posted, but I thought I'd make a few suggestions:

- Please name the character(s) -- or at least the game -- of each artpiece. There's a lot of awesome stuff in here I simply don't recognize!

- Please understand this thread is about what designs work for you personally. Art is subjective; there is no right or wrong in what you find amazing.

I think it might also help to explain why they work for you. I tried to do so in the OP. I know not everyone likes anime, the Gothic, et al, and I usually don't either (emphasis so I'm not branded a fan), but I tried to explain why Ashlotte struck a chord with me.

940047_20080523_screen001.jpg

940047_20080523_screen002.jpg

For me, good design is design that jumps out of the crowd with a singular look, and that has lots of interesting details while having an overall style. In my eyes Ashlotte most definitely jumps out -- if you're like me she hit you upside the head when you entered the thread. Her overall style is a cold, sleek take on the Gothic Lolita, applying it to a robot, and there's plenty of finer details to absorb, like the mannequin legs and the heart-shaped window on her belly revealing cogs inside.

Of course, there are aspects of Ashlotte that'll work wonders for me that simply won't affect others. For one, I love clockwork. :D

A few other comments: I really like the Mass Effect artwork. Especially the red alien with the bulbous, whale-like head. Oddworld definitely has a distinct flavor as well. While at first blush it seems almost too strange (yes, this coming from the Goth Loli robot guy), it has this colorful warmth that makes it cozy and inviting. OH! And I also liked that wallpaper -- Shin something or another -- with the highly stylized take on figures from End Times mythology, like the skeletal-faced, cloaked figures riding horses covered in eyes and the multi-headed dragon wearing crowns. It was posted earlier in the thread.

Keep it comin'!

Top Bottom