• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition PC performance thread

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
That freezing isn't supposed to happen at all.
Check the game cache in Origin and see if the data is validated properly
Thanks for the suggestion. Immediatly tried it out, but the game still freezes after fighting for a while.

Game worked now! Dunno what happened.

What should be my setting? Low on all?

Specs:

Windows 7 64-bit
120 GB Free Space
GeForce GTX 650Ti
i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz
8Gb RAM

UberLevi

This used to be the exact rig I had. I would presume that you would want to upgrade your CPU and card at least a little bit if you want a great graphics experience, but you should be able to run at lowest settings getting 25-30 fps. I would worry about your processor though, since I have an i5 4690k and it is being worked pretty hard, especially in towns.

EDIT: Yeah, looking at specs needed, you should upgrade your CPU to a quad core before you pull the trigger. The video card will be at least adequate if you want 30 FPS.

Don't do it.

I think the game requires a minimum of 4 core CPU, which you don't currently have. So unless you upgrade, you're one of the few who I would recommend to buy it on console.

Thanks, guys. This is kind of sad news but not unexpected. I'm getting an Xbox One next month, so it's not a complete travesty.

I got this from GameFAQS
So, I was realizing that I wasn't exactly getting the performance out of my current setup like I wanted. Then I remembered it was frostbite 3, and that I could probably use my custom user.cfg file from BF4!

Basically, I found that for some reason, even when post processing was set to low and motion blur disabled in game, the game still acted as though motion blur were on (performance wise)

Have used this cfg to disable motion blur and dof (which I hated) for over a year in bf4. Put it into my Dragon age Inquisition folder, and voila! Much better frames. Now, enabling msaax2 would drop me from 55-70 down to 40 still, but I'm hoping drivers can soon alleviate some of that performance drop.

So, step by step to create a user.cgf file

1. Open Notepad
2. Copy Paste this:

WorldRender.MotionBlurEnable 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurQuality 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurMaxSampleCount 0
PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1

3. save file as user.cfg and put it into the DA: Inquisition main install directory (the one with the executable)

If this isn't enough and you need some SERIOUS frame increases at the loss of some visual fidelity, you can also try adding other things as well. For example, to really get the most framerate you can use

PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1
RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 0
RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0
RenderDevice.VsyncEnable 0
PostProcess.DynamicAOEnable 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurEnable 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurForceOn 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurFixedShutterTime 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurMax 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurQuality 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurMaxSampleCount 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapEnable 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapResolution 256
WorldRender.TransparencyShadowmapsEnable 0
WorldRender.LightTileCsPathEnable 0

Now, there will be some visual fidelity loss (most notably in shadows), however this is good for anywhere between 10-25 fps jump.

Hopefully this helps!
Have anyone here tried it yet?

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
So I tried putting the game in Fullscreen mode. That did change some things; for the first time ever I was able to reach the end of the battle. However, it crashed when I did. With an error sign this time. It's not much, but a lot more handy then "simply" freezing.
iZMk4v6lMb1Oz.png
My problem is fixed, I used the DirectX installer in the Inquisition folder and it fixed the crashing.
I'm happy to hear someone fixed their issues. Didn't work for myself, unfortunately.

Beckx

Getting 30 FPS on my laptop with a mix of high/ultra settings (almost all high, mesh is ultra, textures Fade Touched, tesselation is medium, one other medium setting, no MSAA). Will start tweaking the settings tonight to see if I can raise it but overall with a game like this that's fine.

GTX 675MX
i7-3630QM @ 2.4GHz
8 GB ram
1080p

OrangeOak

So I tried putting the game in Fullscreen mode. That did change some things; for the first time ever I was able to reach the end of the battle. However, it crashed when I did. With an error sign this time. It's not much, but a lot more handy then "simply" freezing.

I'm happy to hear someone fixed their issues. Didn't work for myself, unfortunately.

Change Ambient Occlusion to Quality in you drivers.
Maybe it will help.It was the same with BF3 and 4 and with Garden Warfare and if I am not mistaken it is same engine.

garath

So I made it through the prologue pretty much pegged at 60fps. However, once I got to Haven I now see fps between 45 and 60. I'd like to keep it at 60. It looks like I can do so by turning off MSAA but I'd love to keep that on if I could. Is there any other costly effect that I could turn off to keep it at 60?

i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz
8 gigs DDR3
EVGA 970 FTW
Windows 7 64bit

Borderless windowed
vsync off

I used automatic which was everything set to max except:

Tessallation: High
MSAA 2x

Latest Nvidia drivers from yesterday.

Renekton

So I made it through the prologue pretty much pegged at 60fps. However, once I got to Haven I now see fps between 45 and 60. I'd like to keep it at 60. It looks like I can do so by turning off MSAA but I'd love to keep that on if I could. Is there any other costly effect that I could turn off to keep it at 60?

i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz
8 gigs DDR3
EVGA 970 FTW
Windows 7 64bit

Borderless windowed
vsync off

I used automatic which was everything set to max except:

Tessallation: High
MSAA 2x

Latest Nvidia drivers from yesterday.
Even if you turn stuff way down, high NPC areas (e.g. Haven) will still sink your framerate by 10-20. Effects seem to be best candidate to turn down to High.

garath

Even if you turn stuff way down, high NPC areas (e.g. Haven) will still sink your framerate by 10-20. Effects seem to be best candidate to turn down to High.

Hmm. I'll give that a shot. Turning off MSAA gives me 65+ fps in the areas I was getting 50 so that definitely helps. I'll have to do some comparisons on effects maxed vs lower.

So...anyone getting extensive flickering on ground and sometimes mountains in the prologue area with SLI enabled?(GTX 970)

It is very distracting and kind of ruins the immersion...even more so then the cutscene stutter.I would like to maintain 60FPS however It seems that would be impossible on a single card once I reach the bigger areas.

I'm running everything Ultra,besides Post Process effects to High and 2xMSAA and getting locked 60FPS.(locked with EVGA)

I7 5820K@4.3GHZ
16GB DDR4@2133MHZ
G1 GTX 970 SLI
Windows 8.1

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I got this from GameFAQS

Have anyone here tried it yet?

I'll try this tonight when I get home seeing as I absolutely hate DoF and Motion Blur and immediately put that to low before even starting the game once. So off completely would be nice.

I've also tried the command line, though I haven't tried it with the render ahead segment yet, but it didn't do anything for me. 60 wouldn't matter since my rig can maintain that, but even setting it to 30 did nothing at all. FPS was still jumping all around between 30-60 depending on the area. I would like to just lock the game in at 30 but I also don't feel like dealing with another program to force it.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Anyone else been getting driver crashes with most recent Nvidia drivers?

During certain cutscenes, I get random CTDs, with the driver directX error being listed as the cause during the error popup. The driver stops working (and recovers), but the game hard-locks during that second of crash.

Don't recall it happening prior to the new drivers.

mantle still stutters like mad for me, with absolutely awful loading times. Can anyone who's seen an improvement with mantle please check your Mantle driver version and API version in CCC's info tab.

This seems to be pretty common (happened to me) where Mantle is currently unplayable. I get good enough performance out of D3D that I'm not chomping at the bit though.

molnizzle

After roughly 12 hours of testing I've settled on what I believe to be the optimal settings for my system. My goal was to maximize IQ as far as my hardware could push it whilst retaining a perfect refresh of 30fps. Dips of any kind were not tolerated regardless of what was happening on screen. This is a rock-the-fuck solid config on my system.

Hopefully this helps someone!

My Hardware:
i5-4570 (3.2 GHz)
GTX 770 (2GB)
8GB DDR3 1600
7200RPM HDD
Panasonic ST30 (50" plasma)
Xbox One controller​

Display Settings (in-game):

Fullscreen Mode: Fullscreen
Resolution: 1920x1080 59.94Hz
Vertical Sync: Off

Graphics Settings (in-game):
Resolution Scale: 100
Graphics Quality: Custom
Mesh Quality: Ultra
Tessellation Quality: Medium
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Ultra
Terrain Quality: High
Vegetation Quality: Ultra
Water Quality: Medium
Post-Process Quality: High
Ambient Occlusion: SSAO
Effects Quality: High
Post-Process Antialiasing: Off
Multisample Antialiasing: 2x MSAA

Nvidia Inspector Settings:

Antialiasing - Mode: Enhance the application setting
Antialiasing - Setting: 2x [2x Multisampling]
Antialiasing - Transparency Multisampling: Disabled
Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling: 2x Supersampling
NVIDIA Predefined FXAA Usage: Allowed
Toggle FXAA on or off: On
Anisotropic filtering mode: User-defined / Off
Anisotropic filtering setting: 12x
Texture filtering - Quality: Quality
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: On
Vertical Sync Tear Control: Adaptive
Vertical Sync: 1/2 Refresh Rate

(all other options set to Nvidia defaults)​

Shortcut Addendum:
"...\DragonAgeInquisition.exe" -GameTime.MaxSimFps 30 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 30+ -RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit 2

Notes:
The redundant 2x MSAA in Inspector may not be doing anything, but it didn't affect performance so I left it in.

My goal with Inspector's AA settings was to get the 2x Transparency Supersampling working. I cannot say with certainty that it is, but again, the performance hit was negligible.

FXAA gets a bad rap due to the low quality of the injectors that first used it. Nvidia's FXAA implementation is much better. Blur is negligible, about the same as SMAA. This is true when playing on a big screen from 2-3m away, at least.

More importantly, FXAA provides better IQ with a lower performance hit than the in-game "post-process antialiasing" setting.

Anisotropic filtering at 12x/Quality is perfectly for the living room environment. And by "perfectly fine" I really mean "you'd think it was 16x/High Quality if I didn't tell you."

I'm still not 100% content with the antialiasing in this config, but aside from downsampling from 3840x2160 there doesn't seem to be a better option. The performance hit for the in-game 4x MSAA is far too high for only marginally improved IQ.​

sticks435

Neo Member

iZMk4v6lMb1Oz.png

I got this exact same CTD with my 780 Classified during the
Pride Demon
fight during the Prologue. Used the driver clean install method when installing 344.75, but did not do full bore clean sweep or restart PC. Haven't had a chance to try again because it was midnight and had to go to sleep :/ lol.

Complistic

So disabling fraps and the origin overlay game me a massive fps boost and the stuttering is gone. (except for the cutscenes.) So happy. Was there a work around for the cutscene fps?

nvm It was easy enough to google.
-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+

Spazo

is this it?
...\DragonAgeInquisition.exe" -GameTime.MaxSimFps 30 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 30+ -RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit 2

You have the option in Origin to add command line arguments directly

exemple:

Titanfallproperties.jpg

and yes people seem to be playing with those command. See if it helps

Guri

May I suggest a mod edit (or the OP, if he's still present) to put those tweaks on the first page, so people can see them?

SoundLad

I haven't got the game yet myself, but I am very familiar with the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error unfortunately.

This used to happen to me on all Frosbite engine games that I own (BF4, PvZ, BF Hardline beta) exclusively.
People told to underclock the graphics card, increase voltages, re-install directx, reinstall windows, etc. but nothing worked. I then flashed my graphics card's (gigabyte GTX 780 ti) BIOS to a newer version and guess what - no more error in any of those games apart from PvZ which still occasionally crashes with that error. In ~20 hours of BF4 gameplay since flashing, not a single error.

My suggestion is to check if there's an updated GPU bios version available for users who are getting this error and flash the bios. Don't flash the gpu bios unless you know what you're doing.

garath

Odd. I had Rivatuner OSD on last night and saw no stutters or flickers. Only change I made was turning off origin in game.

I'm pretty sure it's a conflict between RTSS and Origin overlay. I had the problem huge in BF4 and slightly in Dragon age. Turning off RTSS removes the stutter. I recently turned off the Origin overlay so I'll be trying RTSS again.

Sanctuary

Haven't really had much in the way of technical issues (aside from the random teleporting/flickering actor model in the background during cutscenes), but my god this game has some of the worst loading times I've seen since the original The Witcher before the patch that changed all of the 30s - 60s loading times to around 2s. There's absolutely no reason for it to be taking as long to load as it does.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Haven't really had much in the way of technical issues (aside from the random teleporting/flickering actor model in the background during cutscenes), but my god this game has some of the worst loading times I've seen since the original The Witcher before the patch that changed all of the 30s - 60s loading times to around 2s. There's absolutely no reason for it to be taking as long to load as it does.

Are you using an HDD or SSD because my loading on my SSD is pretty short. 10-15 seconds tops when transitioning areas.

sticks435

Neo Member
I haven't got the game yet myself, but I am very familiar with the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error unfortunately.

This used to happen to me on all Frosbite engine games that I own (BF4, PvZ, BF Hardline beta) exclusively.
People told to underclock the graphics card, increase voltages, re-install directx, reinstall windows, etc. but nothing worked. I then flashed my graphics card's (gigabyte GTX 780 ti) BIOS to a newer version and guess what - no more error in any of those games apart from PvZ which still occasionally crashes with that error. In ~20 hours of BF4 gameplay since flashing, not a single error.

My suggestion is to check if there's an updated GPU bios version available for users who are getting this error and flash the bios. Don't flash the gpu bios unless you know what you're doing.

I've got a custom bios on my 780, so not sure there will be a newer version :/.

Darklord

Banned
Played it for a couple of hours.

I'm running:
4690k @ 3.5ghz
GTX 970
16gb
SSD

I have it at 1080p with almost everything on ultra. I can hit 60 but it's not consistent at all. Drops into the 50's and now and then high 40's in combat but overall it's smooth enough.

KePoW

Banned

huh?? wat exactly is wrong with 30s to 45s load times?

doesn't sound too long to me on a mechanical drive

Wag

I'm tired of the massive flickering on my tri-SLI Titan setup. I'm tempted to turn off 2 of my 3 cards but I really don't want to lose the performance. How can they release a game in such a state?

Leatherface

Hey guys I'm trying to enable the framerate to be displayed in game via the console but the command posted isn't working. perfoverlay.drawfps 1 right?

What am I doing wrong here? It doesn't seem to recognize the command.

UnrealEck

-GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+

What does this command do?

Hey guys I'm trying to enable the framerate to be displayed in game via the console but the command posted isn't working. perfoverlay.drawfps 1 right?

What am I doing wrong here? It doesn't seem to recognize the command.

If you type 'perf' and hit tab it will show a list of commands starting with 'perf.' Then if you type the next part and hit tab again like 'perf' tab 'draw' tab 'fps' it'll fill it in for you.
But I see what you're doing wrong. The boolean or qualifier is not '1' it's either 'true' or 'false', the former being used to turn FPS counter on and the latter to turn it off. So it'll be 'perfoverlay.drawfps true'

Maxwood

I got this exact same CTD with my 780 Classified during the
Pride Demon
fight during the Prologue. Used the driver clean install method when installing 344.75, but did not do full bore clean sweep or restart PC. Haven't had a chance to try again because it was midnight and had to go to sleep :/ lol.
Looks like were crashing at the exact same battle. I doubt that's a coincidence.
Did a clean driver install and uninstalled Inquisition. I'll try again tommorow, when the game officialy releases in the EU.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I can't for the live of me find the location of where I could download a possible new version. Any idea? :p
MSI GTX770 2GB Lightning. Couldn't find it on MSI's official site.

Kinthalis

Banned
After roughly 12 hours of testing I've settled on what I believe to be the optimal settings for my system. My goal was to maximize IQ as far as my hardware could push it whilst retaining a perfect refresh of 30fps. Dips of any kind were not tolerated regardless of what was happening on screen. This is a rock-the-fuck solid config on my system.

Hopefully this helps someone!

My Hardware:
i5-4570 (3.2 GHz)
GTX 770 (2GB)
8GB DDR3 1600
7200RPM HDD
Panasonic ST30 (50" plasma)
Xbox One controller​

Display Settings (in-game):

Fullscreen Mode: Fullscreen
Resolution: 1920x1080 59.94Hz
Vertical Sync: Off

Graphics Settings (in-game):
Resolution Scale: 100
Graphics Quality: Custom
Mesh Quality: Ultra
Tessellation Quality: Medium
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Ultra
Terrain Quality: High
Vegetation Quality: Ultra
Water Quality: Medium
Post-Process Quality: High
Ambient Occlusion: SSAO
Effects Quality: High
Post-Process Antialiasing: Off
Multisample Antialiasing: 2x MSAA

Nvidia Inspector Settings:

Antialiasing - Mode: Enhance the application setting
Antialiasing - Setting: 2x [2x Multisampling]
Antialiasing - Transparency Multisampling: Disabled
Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling: 2x Supersampling
NVIDIA Predefined FXAA Usage: Allowed
Toggle FXAA on or off: On
Anisotropic filtering mode: User-defined / Off
Anisotropic filtering setting: 12x
Texture filtering - Quality: Quality
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: On
Vertical Sync Tear Control: Adaptive
Vertical Sync: 1/2 Refresh Rate

(all other options set to Nvidia defaults)​

Shortcut Addendum:
"...\DragonAgeInquisition.exe" -GameTime.MaxSimFps 30 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 30+ -RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit 2

Notes:
The redundant 2x MSAA in Inspector may not be doing anything, but it didn't affect performance so I left it in.

My goal with Inspector's AA settings was to get the 2x Transparency Supersampling working. I cannot say with certainty that it is, but again, the performance hit was negligible.

FXAA gets a bad rap due to the low quality of the injectors that first used it. Nvidia's FXAA implementation is much better. Blur is negligible, about the same as SMAA. This is true when playing on a big screen from 2-3m away, at least.

More importantly, FXAA provides better IQ with a lower performance hit than the in-game "post-process antialiasing" setting.

Anisotropic filtering at 12x/Quality is perfectly for the living room environment. And by "perfectly fine" I really mean "you'd think it was 16x/High Quality if I didn't tell you."

I'm still not 100% content with the antialiasing in this config, but aside from downsampling from 3840x2160 there doesn't seem to be a better option. The performance hit for the in-game 4x MSAA is far too high for only marginally improved IQ.​

Thanks so much for this! Great bit of info. I totally agree that the FXAA implementation from the Nvidia CP is usually beter than what's found in game. I'm going to give that a shot. Did you find that forcing AF in the Nvidia CP improves IQ in the game?

bbd23

holy crap how do I disable the achievement sound on origin

this thing is loud and awful and scares the crap out of me

Leatherface

If you type 'perf' and hit tab it will show a list of commands starting with 'perf.' Then if you type the next part and hit tab again like 'perf' tab 'draw' tab 'fps' it'll fill it in for you.
But I see what you're doing wrong. The boolean or qualifier is not '1' it's either 'true' or 'false', the former being used to turn FPS counter on and the latter to turn it off. So it'll be 'perfoverlay.drawfps true'

perfect, thanks. The post I read had it with that info was wrong I guess.

garath

TRUE and 1 are the same thing for boolean.

perfoverlay.drawfps 1 works just fine.

Top Bottom