• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SaGa 2015 (working title) announced for PS Vita

That's precisely why I don't understand why would Square Enix release this on an (almost) dead platform unless Sony paid when they wouldn't even bring Type-0 to it. I'm confused, that's all.

To talk about this announcement, same as you.

Vita is doing better than the PS4 in Japan
and Vita TV is doing better than the Xbox One
and this game was definitely made with Japan in mind as it isn't that popular WW. SE's CEO said earlier this year that investors were worried about how the company is ignoring the Vita so that might explain why this is not on 3DS.

As for Type-0, Square said multiple times that they want the FF fanbase on PS4/Xbox in preparation for FFXV.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Not a scientific metric at all, but here's the number of reviews on the japanese iTunes:

• Chaos Rings1: 2508
  • Chaos Rings 2: 1908
  • Chaos Rings Omega: 2805
  • Chaos Rings 3: 292

Doesn't really sound that good, especially since the game seems to have a higher budget that its predecessors.

That's a huge drop. Could be due to the change in art. The gameplay looked different as well.

Are you implying that somehow I hate that they announce games for Vita?
Nope. I'm wondering why you're in here about a game announcement thread talking about why sony/square chose an almost dead system for the new game. If you're really questioning the decision you should start a thread and talk about that.

Cornbread78

Wait, SE is making something for the Vita? Holy crap... Now, about that Mana series SE?

I still hate you for that FFVIIR announcement SE, lol.

Caronte

Nope. I'm wondering why you're in here about a game announcement thread talking about why sony/square chose an almost dead system for the new game. If you're really questioning the decision you should start a thread and talk about that.

I didn't think that was necessary. This isn't the OT or anything. But I'll leave now if you're going to take it so personally.

dramatis

I meant why couldn't they have paid for a SaGa game.
Kawazu weirdly has enough clout at SE that he can do what he wants. Otherwise he wouldn't have been able to spit out as many FF Crystal Chronicles as he did, nor would he be able to concoct the weird and obtuse combat systems that he did. It wouldn't be too hard for him to secure a SaGa project given that he is a development division leader (Division 2 specifically). So he wouldn't need Sony's assistance to get what he wants.

Teknoman

Now i'm imagining how beautiful a 2D or 3D game with that awesome SaGa water color aesthetic will look on the Vita screen. Even if it just looks like a higher res, higher quality Romancing SaGa PS2, it'll still look good.

PS2 got pretty damn close to the original art style imo, except in SD form.

Also I gotta say its got one of the best / mysterious dungeon themes on the system.

Hahahaha, I'll never understand why Square-Enix keeps on giving SaGa a go, yet keeps more popular IPs dead.

I love SaGa, but it really baffles me.

Some people must be buying these SaGa games, but who...

ZqBr44g.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Would've rather a console title but I can't complain too much... now lets hope it comes to the US.

Valentus

PLEASE BE SAGA FRONTIER 3

Or a remake of SaGa Frontier 1 or Romancing SaGa 3

Any SaGa is a Good saga (ps2 dont count)

Edit: Now on second thoughts... Maybe this is only Saga Frontier 1 & 2 up on PSN and S-E trolling keeps on giving :(

Celine

Chrono (although it has been so long since the last new release, it's hard to gauge its popularity) and Star Ocean are the main ones that have worldwide appeal, yet appear to be dead as fuck.

Then you've got a bunch of IPs that sell about as well as SaGa (if not more), yet haven't had a full release in about 1 trillion years.
Chrono is dead because there is a lack of creative input to continue the series.

SaGa ia a safer bet compared to most IPs you are thinking:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143249587&postcount=121

Popularity in the west is negligible for most of those IPs.

I think the last SaGa (non mobile one anyways) game was the Romancing SaGa 3 remake for DS, which tanked in Japan. And that was for the goddamn DS.
The last one was the remake of SaGa 3 which was released a couple of months before the 3DS launch, DS hardware and software sales were declining sharply.
SaGa 2 remake was released quite late in DS life (after the system was 5 years in the market).

53mimgi.jpg

Nimby

Banned
Romancing SaGa: Minstrel's Song is getting a PSN release in Japan as a PS2 classic. Where's flipping SaGa Frontier 1&2?

Hrm. Little disappointed that it's on Vita, but any SaGa is better than no SaGa.

I hope it's as deep as Unlimited Saga. The monster ecosystem was absolutely brilliant.

... Mergh, not too optimistic about playing it in English though. Gotta hope, right?

t26

Square passed on Saga 2 and 3 for DS, and that was when the handheld market was in much better shape.

Nimby

Banned
Hrm. Little disappointed that it's on Vita, but any SaGa is better than no SaGa.

I hope it's as deep as Unlimited Saga. The monster ecosystem was absolutely brilliant.

... Mergh, not too optimistic about playing it in English though. Gotta hope, right?

If they do take things from Unlimited Saga, the game definitely needs to look like this (quality is kinda bad).

Also nothing wrong with the blacksmithing or spell synthesis either, they kept that stuff in Minstrel Song, so I hope they bring it here as well.

RPGCrazied

Interesting. Been meaning to get a VITA TV, unless this won't be compatible with that. Kinda want to play Tales of Heart, even without a English dub.

Hexa

Wat?
Awesome of SE, but did anyone actually expect that? Is this there console RPG they were hinting at? Or will be getting an actual console RPG at Jump Festa?

Foffy

Banned
It's incredibly sad that after seeing a teaser trailer, we have to hope Sony does something to make sure this game comes here. The SaGa DS remakes were totally skipped on, so unless someone is feeling sincere pity for international users, I see no way this game is going to be localized in English. And considering how the hacking scene doesn't seem heavily interested in Vita, I doubt this game is in the pipeline for a fan translation if that door even opens. Hell, Romancing SaGa 2 is still not finished as far as fan translations go, and that's a SNES game...

hongcha

This is the best news of the day! Vita's 2015 lineup in Japan is looking very nice indeed. I hope this will be Vita TV compatible.

BedBison

Neo Member
I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up on this coming west, huh?

I'd like to think Sony would help localize this, but it seems unlikely.

nothing would make me happier than for this new SaGa to take the Guilty Gear Xrd technology and apply it with the watercolor art of SaGa Frontier 2

yurinka

Great news to see it's coming to Vita. Let's hope they bring to Vita the other new JRPGs that SE they are releasing on japanese phones too

Top Bottom