• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

Aces&Eights

I'd like to commend Bethesda for releasing a video of in engine graphics and gameplay, rather than using some hyped up CGI bullshots. No downgrade issues, no bullshit. This game, (regardless of dog hairworks??, whatever the fuck that is) is now my number one most anticipated game ever. The only concern I have is that it might not release this year.

Fucking hyped, GAF. HYPED.

HYPERBOLE AT ITS FINEST

GTAV - You kidding me with this one? This game is a polished up last gen game. If anything it looks about the same as Fallout4 at best.

Witcher 3 - It has its own share of great looking areas and not so great. Open world detail is a bitch but yes overall its a damn fine looking open world game

Shadow of Mordor - Gonna need help comparing it to this one. Is it REALLY open world?

Infamous - The only one I can agree with you on. Imfamous was a damn pretty game all around

I do think all of those games look better than the trailer. And not to mention that half of those games listed are cross gen. . this is current gen only.

Gaz_RB

So, I see alot of buildings in that trailer, tall ones. I wonder how much of them will be explorable.

Yeah the city looks massive. If you can actually go in all those buildings, seamlessly, we're going to have a great game on our hands. Im almost thinking a mix of Fallout and DayZ, where survival mechanics play a much greater role than in the previous games.
I need to take a break from GAF, this thread is too toxic.
You'll be back.

Trailer looks really underwhelming. Nothing from these shots is giving me the Fallout vibe, all feels a bit soulless. And please, no voiced protagonist.

Looks good to me..

7LjPbv5.png

Fuck.

Unless I'm wrong and it's been confirmed somewhere, I still don't think that was Troy Baker

Yeah, after thinking on it...

Considering the amount of dialogue the character is bound to have, the cheapness of Bethesda, and that one of the potentials leaked the game(something a professional wouldn't do), I doubt that was Troy Baker.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I don't understand some of you guys, that screenshot with the garage looks amazing. So much detail, so many objects, and the presentation, music, and visuals are amazing for the atmosphere. I am extremely excited for E3 gameplay.

Zornack

Honestly Fallout 3/NV weren't that great looking last gen as well.
Seems silly to expect the 4th game to be amazing looking.

Neither was Skyrim for that matter. In a world with L.A. Noire, Batman: Arkham City and Just Cause 2, Skyrim's graphics were quite bad.

I think 4 looks better next to modern games than Skryim, 3 and NV did compared to games of their times.

Lulubop

There is a difference between developers over promising and under delivering versus just not bringing a good looking game--visually. If this is realistic as in this is what we should expect then this falls below most consumers level of expectation when it comes to a good looking game (THAT IS ONLY CURRENT GEN).

Well said.

Tigress

I honestly hope more games take the low graphic approach. It'll be healthier for the industry in the long term. I'd rather they spend the resources making a more detailed world.

This. Honestly I do think graphics have importance but I think they've gotten to the point they are good enough that I'd like them to focus on a more detailed world, better story, choices actually making a difference, better gameplay, hardcore mode... bigger worlds, more to explore. At this point that is more what I hope gets the focus.

At least Pearlman came back to drop the line.

That didn't sound like Perlman to me.... maybe I was expecting that rumor to be true that it was your character's voice so maybe that is why I didn't think it sounded like him (expectations can change how you perceive things)? Or was that Perlman?

And that's like totally your opinion. And that is alright.

Most people are voicing out their disappointment with the trailer and are hoping for a discussion on what will compensate (gameplay, etc). It would be futile to try to change someone's mind when they already mentally agreed that the game looks bad to them.

While in this thread I feel like there is a bias of those who been waiting patiently for Fallout 4 to drop. Saying a game looks visually poor compared to recent current gen only games does not prevent you from being able to enjoy it when it release.

It's not an opinion, you said that these graphics would fall below most consumers expectations and I would say that's factually incorrect. Like anything, the vocal minority is just louder on places like NeoGaf because people on here are part of a small group that take a deeper interest in things like this compared to the general population.

I'm no Fallout fanboy by any means, I played Fallout 3 once and about 2 hours of New Vegas so I'm not part of a defence force or anything, but I will say that anyone who thinks these graphics are bad are being hyperbolic and had unreasonable expectations and it frustrates me to see posts like 'hurr durr looks like a ps3 game' in the very same place we get almost daily threads about games that didn't live up graphically to their reveal trailers.

Almost as much as it bothers me that people make their purchasing decision based on one 3 minute trailer ('Day 0 for me / Looks like I'll be keeping my money'). It's like a lot of people on Gaf demand change within the industry, but then continue to perpetuate the very problems they want fixed.

Anyway, back on topic, hopefully we get gameplay at E3.

Banned
New Vegas. And yes, give it a shot. Should be pretty cheap on Steam at this point.

Try 3 first because once you played new vegas, you can never go back to 3.
Thanks. Steampage for Fallout 3 says it's not optimized for Windows 7? Does that mean it's gonna crash all the time and I should skip it? Maybe I should just read the wiki plot summaries of all the games before jumping into fallout 4?

It looks a lot cleaner than Fallout 3, which seemed to think just because it took place in a post-apocalypse everything had to look like it was dipped in shit.

The human characters also don't look like they all have mumps, which I really appreciate. I mean seriously, the human characters in FO3/NV were just... Wrong looking. Like I never spent much time in character creation, because no matter how long I did they always ended up looking hideous.

Some of those landscapes, especially the city, are beautiful. I feverishly await exploring them!

Gaz_RB

-GAF rages demanding Fallout 4 since forever

-Fallout 4 finally revealed

-GAF rages about the graphics, the least important aspect of any game.

GAF in a nutshell.
Once you realize there are tens of thousands of different people on this website, you'll have a better time understanding how GAF can have different and conflicting opinions on something.

Aizo

Banned
I'm surprised more people aren't being banned in this thread. This is getting ridiculous. I think a lot of people are confusing graphics with aesthetics. What do you expect the post-apocalypse to look like with broken down shit everywhere? I think the game looks great, and I guess I'm most excited for the gameplay... Can't believe people still love FF7 but get all angry about a game that looks this good.

This game was in pre-production since 2008, and full production since 2011 - two years before current gen consoles went on sale and before they even officially existed. Fallout is a series expected to sell 10 million + copies these days. Chances are extremely high this started out as a cross-gen game but shifted to current gen only a year or so ago when Zenimax were convinced by PS4/Xbone adoption rates to ditch the larger install base of last gen.

That explains the lower-than-expected graphic quality. At least we'll easily be seeing 1080p and 30+fps on consoles, and PC gamers know not to worry about visuals in Bethesda Game Studios titles anyway =)

Fallout 3 modded:

It is amazing to think that Fallout 4 will launch in the same generation as the Witcher 3.

The witcher 3 looks like a generation ahead of this.

8th gen consoles are running mobile processors and 2011 cards what do you expect
What other developers deliver on the same hardware?

There's no excuse. As a current-gen only game, this simply looks disappointing. The footage looks as good as (and in some aspects worse than) GTA5 on PS4 ... which was a remaster of last-gen game from 2013.

Toxic? Some people are mildly annoyed, some people are or want to be hyped. That won't mix well.
So it's really more a compatibility issue, than any toxic climate one.

Some people just can't comprehend the notion that someone can like a game and yet have a valid complaint against it's aesthetic...

What can you do...

I wonder if we'll actually get to play some pre-war segments, seeing as they went into the trouble of creating those assets. Could be interesting if the story of your character begins before the fallout.

SpaceHorror

Thanks. Steampage for Fallout 3 says it's not optimized for Windows 7? Does that mean it's gonna crash all the time and I should skip it? Maybe I should just read the wiki plot summaries of all the games before jumping into fallout 4?

It runs fine on Windows 7.

Neither was Skyrim for that matter. In a world with L.A. Noire, Batman: Arkham City and Just Cause 2, Skyrim's graphics were quite bad.
Bethesda games haven't graphically impressed me since Oblivion to be honest.
I play them for the gameplay. Which is all the graphics whining is funny to me.

There are many other open world games that are pretty if you want to play them.

Top Bottom