• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Batman: Arkham Asylum' (PS3/X360/PC) Officially Announced

Shurs

RiotPelaaja said:
Here's our cover since I think it looks quite cool.

PE83_kansi_fin_rgb.jpg

So, did you score it 90+?

panda21

this is a very silly strategy by eidos.

now even if the game really does deserve such a score, people will doubt it. plus when you're releasing a demo what is even the point in trying to fix scores?

i'd imagine the majority of people who take an interest in videogame scores also read internet forums and know about the shady bullshit eidos have tried to pull with every game they publish recently.

Yasae

Banned
DieH@rd said:
God damn, selfshadowing in that game is PURE SHIT. I hope batman will do better job with them [as well as ME2]
I think they're both running UE 3.5 Anyone got confirmation on this for Arkham?

Truant

The shadows in ME have awful dithering, like the Gears of War games.

Doesn't look like this is the case in B:AA. Bioware also said that they implemented a whole new lighting engine for ME2, especially to make characters look better.

DieH@rd said:
God damn, selfshadowing in that game is PURE SHIT. I hope batman will do better job with them [as well as ME2]

You can disable the dithering pattern (and increase the resolution) on the shadows in the PC version of Mass Effect, looks much better. I'm not a fan either, but it was used becasue the base resolution of the shadowmaps was pretty damn low in the 360 version, o the alternative would be very jagged shadows.

glaurung

Launching a PC version on the same day as console editions: immediate pirated version and therefore reduced sales on all fronts.

Examples from recent history: Red Faction Guerrilla, Bionic Commando.

Yasae

Banned
glaurung said:
Launching a PC version on the same day as console editions: immediate pirated version and therefore reduced sales on all fronts.

Bionic Commando sold well?

glaurung

Yasae said:
Bionic Commando sold well?

No, I meant both RFG and Bionic Commando had their PC versions delayed, the first 2.5 months and Bionic Commando approximately 40 days.

Both PC versions were delayed even though in the beginning there was talk of a simultaneous all-platform release.

MacBosse said:
Proof or ... no wait ... download link or bust.
I'm pretty sure he means the retailer demo that's been at PS3 demo kiosks for a while now.

It was pretty unimpressive, but only because it's solely focused on hand-to-hand combat. It was a series of challenge rooms with the challenges being "beat up everyone in the room". lol

It also featured no anti-aliasing whatsoever, but if the PS3 shots from last page are any indication, it looks like they fixed that.

glaurung said:

What a load of crap. Do you honestly believe the proportion of the market with a gaming PC and a "HD" console is anything more than inconsequential?

There's more chance of the 360 version suffering from day zero piracy than the PC version fwiw, so this is doing nothing to stop the availability of piratable version. People that were planning to pirate the game aren't suddenly going to fork out $60 to get an inferior game a month earlier, now are they?

Tokubetsu

brain_stew said:
What a load of crap. Do you honestly believe the proportion of the market with a gaming PC and a "HD" console is anything more than inconsequential?

There's more chance of the 360 version suffering from day zero piracy than the PC version fwiw, so this is doing nothing to stop the availability of piratable version. People that were planning to pirate the game aren't suddenly going to fork out $60 to get an inferior game a month earlier, now are they?

I don't think people realize how prevalent console piracy has become.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
BeeDog said:
Use the search function at the top and search for "batman".

Maybe it's because I'm on the Benelux store, but it's really not there yet. Maybe it's only on the UK store just now.

edit: seems that the Benelux store updates at 18:00, I'll wait a bit longer

Truant

Remember people, last years sleeper hit had the worst demo ever, so let's not be too critical if this turns out bad.

Tokubetsu said:
I don't think people realize how prevalent console piracy has become.

Its always been very prevalent its just not discussed all that much. For the average joe 360 piracy is actually much easier, its a one time thing to do, and there's countless outlets willing to perform the mod for them for a small fee. After that its a simple download and burn, and every game will be available on day zero.

On the PC side pirates have to do a lot of messing around with each and every release, edit registry files, run fake Steam clients and run the serious risk of installing a virus, each and every time they want to play a new game. Add to that the fact that Steam and Securom have been very successful in preventing day zero piracy (meaning waiting around for a pirated version) and console piracy looks a hell of a lot simpler, if a one off £20 payment to dody Bill is all you ever need to do. Its pointless arguing the Xbox Live angle either as pirated PC copies look you out of multiplayer anyway.

The guys at B3D have just confirmed the PS3 version as full 1280x720, its a very heavy blur filter that is giving the ugly, smudged low resolution look. Terrible art decision if you ask me.

I'm not too bothered about a 1 month release, especially since they're adding hardware Physx support, the volumetric fog that reacts to your player movement sounds like a great atmosphere building visual trick. I can't afford to buy it on release anyway! :lol

BeeDog

brain_stew said:
The guys at B3D have just confirmed the PS3 version as full 1280x720, its a very heavy blur filter that is giving the ugly, smudged low resolution look. Terrible art decision if you ask me.

Phew, thanks for that info brain_stew. I've been planning on buying the game for a while now, but I don't think I would be able to stomach a bad port (I mostly feel like I've wasted money on a much inferior product).

Truant said:
Remember people, last years sleeper hit had the worst demo ever, so let's not be too critical if this turns out bad.
It seems the demo is going to be the first 15 minutes or so of the game proper, which unfortunately means it's going to be a thinly disguised tutorial with a lot of hand-holding. I hope that doesn't put anyone off.

Also, what was last year's sleeper hit? I hope you're not talking about Dead Space, because if Batman is as "good" as Dead Space it's a no-buy for me.

BeeDog said:
Phew, thanks for that info brain_stew. I've been planning on buying the game for a while now, but I don't think I would be able to stomach a bad port (I mostly feel like I've wasted money on a much inferior product).

The blur filter will probably be in all versions I'd imagine since its more of an artistic choice (however questionable) tough you should be able to disable it in the PC version as most UE3 games are lovely and let you edit all manner of config variables.

Truant

Shake Appeal said:
It seems the demo is going to be the first 15 minutes or so of the game proper, which unfortunately means it's going to be a thinly disguised tutorial with a lot of hand-holding. I hope that doesn't put anyone off.

Also, what was last year's sleeper hit? I hope you're not talking about Dead Space, because if Batman is as "good" as Dead Space it's a no-buy for me.

Most people loved Dead Space, so the example is valid, imo.

EDIT: Wait, you can turn of the dithering in Mass Effect PC? :lol

I uninstalled it because the shadows were so god damned ugly. Looked kinda better on my 360, since it wasn't so noticeable there - you know, from watching my tv far away in my comfy couch.

NotSaturn

Banned
Ugh, the trend of delaying the launch of PC versions of multiplat titles is flatout stupid.
Did they even bother to check if it does a difference? doesn't make a sense at all.

Now, instead of the game coming out in a pretty much empty period, thus having close to no competition, they are releasing the PC version the same day as RFG.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
HAAHAAH PC ELITISTS WHO'S THE MASTER RACE NOW??? FIRST IT'S BATMAN AND THEN BEFORE YOU KNOW IT PC GAMING WILL BE BACK IN OT! HAHAAHAHAH

Truant said:
Most people loved Dead Space, so the example is valid, imo.

EDIT: Wait, you can turn of the dithering in Mass Effect PC? :lol

I uninstalled it because the shadows were so god damned ugly. Looked kinda better on my 360, since it wasn't so noticeable there - you know, from watching my tv far away in my comfy couch.

http://www.tweakguides.com/ME_7.html

Yup, you can increase the resolution of the shadowmaps as well as lock the framerate to whatever value you please and introduce a whole host of other tweaks as well. I'm a big fan of the UE3 on PC, simply because it gives the end user huge control over how the game is rendered and is very nicely optimised to boot.

Top Bottom