• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to Night Vale [Mafia] |OT| The Dog Park will not harm you

RetroMG

Day 2 has ended

Well, Listeners, it has been quite a day! Our little berg was split between whether to send Pop-O-Matic or Trigger with the Sheriff's Secret Police. Then we all had a big dinner, and took long naps for no apparent reason. There was a brief confusing vote surge for Setre, but that seems to have quieted down, and now we're just waiting for the final results.

I'm being handed a card.

And the winner is!

Trigger!

And look, Listeners, members of the Sheriff's Secret Police are already descending in their bright pink Jetpacks to cart Trigger off to the nightmare zone! Let's give him a big hand, Listeners!

Trigger has died.

Welcome!

You are an Ordinary Citizen of Night Vale

(That means you aren't special enough to have a power role.)

You are aligned with Night Vale (That's the Town)

Who knows what horrors drove you to this little desert community. You can make up your own story. I won't contradict you in front of the other radio personalities. Honest.

You do not have any actions. You can vote, though, and your vote is your power! Use it wisely, Listener.

You win when no more Mafia aligned players remain.

Have fun!

Dear listeners, here is a list of things.
Emotions you don't understand upon viewing a sunset.
Lost pets, found.
Lost pets, unfound.
A secret lost pet city on the moon.
Trees that see.
Restaurants that hear.
A void that thinks.
A face half seen just before falling asleep.
Trembling hands reaching for desperately needed items.
Sandwiches.
Silence when there should be noise.
Noise when there should be silence.
Nothing when you want something.
Something when you thought there was nothing.
Clear plastic binder sheets.
Scented dryer sheets.
Rain coming down in sheets.
Night.
Rest.
Sleep.
End.

Goodnight, Night Vale. Goodnight.

Night 2 ends in:
pin_1448906400.png

Today's Proverb: If you love someone, set them free. Set them free now. This is the police, and we have you surrounded.

RetroMG

Final voting record for Day 2

trigger (9)
royal_flush 1043 (1132)
mazre 1065
coppanuva 1080
pop-o-matic 1123 (1207)
razmos 1129
ultrajay 1163 (1166)
mike_hawk689 1227
sorian 1231
pop-o-matic 1233
unmasked ferret 1241
ultrajay 1242
karu 1243

pop-o-matic (3)
sorian 877 (1076)
scraftydevil 914
unmasked ferret 1116 (1199)
royal_flush 1132
trigger 1164
ultrajay 1166 (1242)
pop-o-matic 1207 (1233)
sorian 1219 (1231)

setre (2)
coppanuva 953 (983)
sorian 1076 (1171)
seath 1112
sorian 1171 (1219)
absolutbro 1192 (1217)
ty4on 1197
unmasked ferret 1199 (1222)
karu 1201 (1235)

seath (2)
absolutbro 1066 (1169)
tl21xx 1075
ultrajay 1098 (1144)
absolutbro 1225

coppanuva (1)
gryvan 1067

sorian (1)
setre 974

mike_hawk689 (0)
boo boo'n 814

tl21xx (0)
sorian 756 (830)
sorian 830 (877)

ty4on (0)
mike_hawk689 818 (850)

unmasked ferret (0)
coppanuva 939 (953)
ty4on 1170 (1197)

stanleypalmtree (0)
ultrajay 988 (1098)

mazre (0)
coppanuva 1044 (1079)

gryvan (0)
ty4on 1117 (1170)

RetroMG

Close your eyes. Let my words wash over you. You are safe now.

Welcome to Night Vale.

Listeners, we return now to our coverage of the amazing speech just given by Night Vale resident TL21xx. And let me begin by saying that if you are just tuning in now, and have missed the speech itself, you have truly missed out on one of the most moving speeches ever given by a human being or arthropod, and you should rend your clothes and scream your agony to the heavens themselves. The City council will be setting up photo booths for this purpose later this morning.

So moving was this speech by TL21xx, that a member of the Sheriff's Secret Police announced that today will ever be known as TL21xx day, and that since the Sheriff's Secret Police are not currently aware of any murders that took place last night, they will be detaining two suspects before the end of the day.

Since we have no other pressing news items, and plenty of time left in our broadcast, let's go to the phones and take some questions.

*CLICK* Go ahead, Caller, you're on the air.

"Hi, Cecil! This is Frank Chen. I was wondering how this 'detain two suspects' thing is going to work?"

I'm glad you asked, Frank.

Today, the town will have an opportunity to lynch two targets. At the end of the day, the top two targets with the most votes will both be lynched. If one target reaches majority, (or any other action occurs that would normally end the day phase,) then that target will be "locked in" and will die at the end of the day. If a second target reaches majority or is otherwise "locked in," the day will end. A tie vote for first place will result in both parties being lynched. A tie vote for second will result in a no-lynch, and only the top lynch will occur.

Let's take another call. *CLICK* Go ahead caller, you're on the air.

"Hi, this is Steve Carlsberg? And my question is-"

NO! NO! STEVE CARLSBERG! WE ARE OUT OF TIME FOR QUESTIONS GOODBYE!

*CLICK*

The Sheriff's Secret Police is not currently aware of any deaths happening last night

Day 3 begins

pin_1449252000.png

Sorian

Banned
I assume that since there is no deaths, that a doctor helped it out?

maybe?

I think Setre supplied us with a slight lie when he role claimed. Let's wait for him to post before theorizing on why there were no kills last night.

TL21xx also delivered so that clears that us as well.

Coppanuva

Today is best day! Our list of suspects gets a bit narrower and we're not down anyone. Also looks likely that either our doctor chose correctly, or scum hit a BP person. Fantastic news all around!

Razmos

Well shit. Managed to get through the night without a kill and TL21xx delivered.
It's risky to assume that no deaths is a good thing though. Whoever they targeted might be a dangerous neutral player or a lost partner.

I personally find the lack of death more suspicious than the alternative, unless someone admits that they have a way to block deaths.

It's risky to assume that no deaths is a good thing though. Whoever they targeted might be a dangerous neutral player or a lost partner.

I personally find the lack of death more suspicious than the alternative, unless someone admits that they have a way to block deaths.

Well we already had one player claim Doc.

Sorian

Banned

We, supposedly, have an outed doctor. I'd like to hear from them, otherwise NO ONE should be admitting anything about blocking deaths. This is how Ouro screwed the pooch in Gafia, role blockers likely had nothing to do with this (from an odds perspective).

UltraJay

Whoo! Did scum somehow decide to be dumb and try to kill one of the MOST LIKELY to be protected members of this here town!?

Should have gone the safe route. There were plenty of other targets. Setre and Sorian were a 50/50 chance of failing.

Setre

Setre, tell me that you did what I think you did. If so, I love you and trust you 100%.

I think Setre supplied us with a slight lie when he role claimed. Let's wait for him to post before theorizing on why there were no kills last night.

TL21xx also delivered so that clears that us as well.

I'm not clever enough to do what you think I did. I simply chose to protect you again during the Night. I figured if you were Mafia you wouldn't have stopped after my role claim. So I trust you 100% now, even if you don't trust me.

Sorian

Banned
I'm not clever enough to do what you think I did. I simply chose to protect you again during the Night. I figured if you were Mafia you wouldn't have stopped after my role claim. So I trust you 100% now, even if you don't trust me.

So you didn't self guard, you guarded me? Huh, well, I wasn't expecting them to target me, if that's what happened. Uh, I need to think on that for a bit. That's a play that doesn't make a whole lot of sense with who I thought was scum yesterday.

UltraJay

Maybe they assumed that Setre would protect himself and wouldn't make a play like that. He didn't make it known that he was overly fond of doing so. He sounded self-righteous.

Razmos

Well we already had one player claim Doc.

We, supposedly, have an outed doctor. I'd like to hear from them, otherwise NO ONE should be admitting anything about blocking deaths. This is how Ouro screwed the pooch in Gafia, role blockers likely had nothing to do with this (from an odds perspective).
I completely forgot about that.

Also I'm not sure about the idea of them targeting Sorian. I mean that is a stupid move even by my standards.

Ty4on

Today is best day! Our list of suspects gets a bit narrower and we're not down anyone. Also looks likely that either our doctor chose correctly, or scum hit a BP person. Fantastic news all around!
C'Mon, celebrate!
My haiku spell is over!
And scum took the bait?

Why celebration
In haikus, especially?
I just felt like it :p
Wait, "not currently aware"

Are we going to have another day kill today?
I really hope this isn't the case :/
Why did you vote Sorian D2 when you trusted him enough N1 to protect him?

Coppanuva

I completely forgot about that.

Also I'm not sure about the idea of them targeting Sorian. I mean that is a stupid move even by my standards.

Ehhh... is it really though? If they assumed Setre was going to self protect, and saw Sorian as a high-value target they might've thought this was their best chance to get rid of him. Lots of people were expecting either Sorian or I to be targeted during Night 1, I'm not sure why him allegedly being targeted last night would be seen as suspicious now?

Setre

Why did you vote Sorian D2 when you trusted him enough N1 to protect him?

Already gave my reasoning for why I voted him during Day 2. I protected him during the first Night 1 because I figured he'd be the most likely target for the Mafia to go after.

Ty4on

Ehhh... is it really though? If they assumed Setre was going to self protect, and saw Sorian as a high-value target they might've thought this was their best chance to get rid of him. Lots of people were expecting either Sorian or I to be targeted during Night 1, I'm not sure why him allegedly being targeted last night would be seen as suspicious now?
Lots of doctors can't self protect so it is kinda weird they didn't attack Setre. If I were scum and has to choose between the two I'd attack Setre. 50-50 if he can self protect and 100-0 if he can't.

"Like, what a night!" I think as I write to you, dear diary,
As it would seem, like, no one else has passed their date of expiry!
Too bad we like lynched a townie though; he was full of vim and vigour
Now we've totally gotta, like, work extra hard to avenge poor ol' Trigger.
The like, groady ones from yesterday were MikeHawk, Trig and Pop
Ty4on had his dumb haiku thing which like totally has to stop.
But there's still just one among you who's like toooootally un-fetch.
Razmos, everything you've said like, makes me wanna retch.
You disappear like, without a trace, leaving like, no reads behind,
Your dastardly web of lies and deception is like, what I'm gonna totally unwind.
I took notice like late yesterday, when Sorian put you on his bad guy list
And like, checking your activity, you might as well not exist.
You claim to dislike doing reads, but that's like, totally fishy to me
The burden of proof is like, on you dude, to like, prove you're really who you claim to be
I'll put together a like, more detailed outline when I'm not freaking tired as hell
But til then, like Rammy-poo, it would be like, awesome and super swell
If you could prove to me that like, my suspicions are totally silly and lame
But like, despite my affectations I'm no bimbo so don't think I'll play into your groady game.

Let's see if we can avoid like any daily fiascoes.
Love and peace, signed Lucy "Scrafty" Diablos

PS: If you like disappear again, I'll know something's amiss
OOOXOX

UltraJay

Just for clarification real quick: Scum CAN decide not to kill for the night if they want, right?

Yeah, and not doing it doesn't make sense. If they want to win they need to be killing people. Not killing someone when they have the chance just to throw off town just isn't worth it.

Ty4on

Just for clarification real quick: Scum CAN decide not to kill for the night if they want, right?
We don't know until we get their role PM, but I assume that's the case. I don't know of many cases where scum chooses to do that though.

We had two nights without kills in Danganronpa which turned into a clue. Scum tried killing someone both nights there.

Like, oops! There you go again, trying to fish for a power to kill
Tell me, shady Mr. Rammy-poo, when will you finally have your fill?

Razmos

"Like, what a night!" I think as I write to you, dear diary,
As it would seem, like, no one else has passed their date of expiry!
Too bad we like lynched a townie though; he was full of vim and vigour
Now we've totally gotta, like, work extra hard to avenge poor ol' Trigger.
The like, groady ones from yesterday were MikeHawk, Trig and Pop
Ty4on had his dumb haiku thing which like totally has to stop.
But there's still just one among you who's like toooootally un-fetch.
Razmos, everything you've said like, makes me wanna retch.
You disappear like, without a trace, leaving like, no reads behind,
Your dastardly web of lies and deception is like, what I'm gonna totally unwind.
I took notice like late yesterday, when Sorian put you on his bad guy list
And like, checking your activity, you might as well not exist.
You claim to dislike doing reads, but that's like, totally fishy to me
The burden of proof is like, on you dude, to like, prove you're really who you claim to be
I'll put together a like, more detailed outline when I'm not freaking tired as hell
But til then, like Rammy-poo, it would be like, awesome and super swell
If you could prove to me that like, my suspicions are totally silly and lame
But like, despite my affectations I'm no bimbo so don't think I'll play into your groady game.

Let's see if we can avoid like any daily fiascoes.
Love and peace, signed Lucy "Scrafty" Diablos

PS: If you like disappear again, I'll know something's amiss
OOOXOX
Sure, what do you want me to do to prove my innocence?

Also just to note, I don't mind doing reads, I just didn't feel like repeating myself since my opinion on the second day hadn't really changed much and I said as much. If I posted without anything to add I would be accused of just posting fluff. There has to be some moderation.

And yeah I wasn't very active last week, but I can't put my life on hold for this game and I said as much. Now that i've settled in to my new job and my new routine I can probably post more (like I'm doing right now)

Sorian

Banned
I'm writing up a big post so don't worry about me. I'm refreshing though. No one is haiku'd so far I see. If no one has the curse, I bet it was town-aligned like I thought, it might be worth looking at those who were really trying to push the idea that it was malicious or scum-aligned.

Razmos

I'm writing up a big post so don't worry about me. I'm refreshing though. No one is haiku'd so far I see. If no one has the curse, I bet it was town-aligned like I thought, it might be worth looking at those who were really trying to push the idea that it was malicious or scum-aligned.
Maybe not haikus, but Scrafty is speaking in rhyme, if you couldn't tell.

Ty4on

Like, oops! There you go again, trying to fish for a power to kill
Tell me, shady Mr. Rammy-poo, when will you finally have your fill?
Do you need to rhyme and have 15-17 syllables per line?

If you need a certain number of syllables Ty4on is /taɪfɔɹ'ɔn/ so three syllables. Ty is just one.

Yeah, and not doing it doesn't make sense. If they want to win they need to be killing people. Not killing someone when they have the chance just to throw off town just isn't worth it.

IDK. Feels like the ability to control the narrative and make certain players seem more/less trustworthy could be powerful if used correctly. It's possible that Setre, Sorian or both are scum and they convinced the rest of the team to go no vote to make themselves look more credible.

Also, Scrafty's character speak has to be done in rhyme now?
600full-jay-bauman.jpg

Coppanuva

As much as I REALLY hate this idea:

For fuck's sake, Scrafty did the haiku power hit you? Now you have to post in rhyming couplets?

I'm worried about this being a possibility. Not so much since Scrafty seems to be doing well with it so far (and in terms of limiting word usage it's not quite as hard to deal with as a haiku), but still... yeesh.

Sorian

Banned
Oh fuck, hahaha, you guys are right. Hmm, I wonder if I find this more or less annoying than valley girl. Is this a good use of the power though? Her valley girl was hard to read at time, this might be someone attempting to help us? I'm reaching there, I know. I still doubt the curse is scum-aligned, personally.

Sorian

Banned
Speaking of role claims, did you manage to dig up anything juicy last night, Sorian?

Not as much as I was hoping sadly and I feel a lot less sure of myself now if I was the target. I would think scum would want to avoid killing me instead of silencing me. I'll explain, against the judgement of some of the people I spoke with last night, I want to role claim now. I still worry about these day kills and if I don't at least get this out in the open now, I might regret it with a mistimed day death.

I am Dana Cardinal, Night Vale Public Radio Intern. I am the town gossip and, for those who did not play or read the Animal Crossing game, what I can do is invite one player per day to a chat that is open during the night only. I do currently have two people (three if you include myself) who should not reveal themselves or hint at anything in my night chat and assuming I live today, I will invite a third which will put my chat at max capacity. My role is done during the day. I send an INVITE command and as long I survive the lynching, they are welcome to my chat tonight.

Just to get the flavor out of the way, I invite people to Jerry's Tacos each night. The reason I am doing this is because Cecil is busy at the radio station and he has asked me to branch out and connect with the community since he can't himself.

For those who follow the podcast, you'll also notice that I am a Night Vale Intern, which should be enough to tell you that the roles in the game are from early on in the podcast, something to keep in mind. It's a spoiler but Dana Cardinal becomes a much different role later in the show.

So what did I think was so important? Well right after D1 ended, by complete luck I guess, I received a PM saying that I had been invited to a gossip chat. Lo and behold, I was invited to Big Rico's pizza, a second gossip chat. There are currently 3 people in that chat including myself and the person who invites over there and no one has died there yet either. At first, I was very skeptical and thought that two gossip chats were odd and maybe one was run by town and the other by scum. I did some research in AC though and saw that there were 3 gossip chats, all town aligned.

I've gone back and forth on this issue a lot but coming into D3, I thought the other gossip person was scum, with me being targeted though, I'm a little less sure now, they would know that anyone from my gossip chat could have just passed all of this along for me.

Anyway, for right now, I am not going to name the other gossip but I am role claiming for them. You all can help me work through this and if I decide dropping the name is in our best interest, then I will.

So the person inviting people to Big Rico's Pizza is The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Everyone's Homes. Yes, I am aware that the role name isn't what she is usually called, I've aired my grievance and the person says that is what Retro named the role. You'll also notice that there is no title on the role, like mine which is Night Vale Radio Intern, this person's has nothing. During N1, I spoke with them and someone from my gossip chat had the wonderful foresight to tell me to ask them what town's win condition was. For the intrepid out there, you'll know that the town win condition was not posted to this thread until Retro edited it in to Dark's role flip (it was not there at the time of me asking). They gave me the incorrect win condition and when I approached them on it later, they said that they did it purposely in an attempt to verify me and they found me scummy because I didn't correct them. Take that how you will.

Metagaming aside, I have a few problems with their role claim in general. The first is that I still don't see what the Faceless Old Woman is doing inviting people to a gossip chat, this seems like prime watcher or tracker territory. The lack of role title sticks out to me but I haven't seen another PR's role flip yet so I don't know if I am the weird one here or not. The reasoning for the Faceless Old Woman being a gossip was also weird to me. This person said that they invite people to Big Rico's because they have been living in Night Vale for a long time and they wanted to finally meet the community. They wear a mask and hooded robe so that they blend in with the hooded figures that frequent Big Rico's (man just typing all of this out is already making me distrust this person double time again).

Lastly, I was thinking about game balancing. 3 gossip chats in AC worked because there was a limitation of who you could invite. You could only invite people who lived next door to you or someone already in the chat. That limitation isn't here, I can choose from the entire roster at any time, it is much much stronger here since I'm not forced to choose from a moderator-chosen list that they can stack with scum if needed. And it would be quite the force if both gossip chats got linked up early on (and they did, N1). That's why I think the balance here is that one is run by town and one is run by scum.

So yeah, that is all I have, no one in either chat has struck gold with any of their potential PRs (basically, I'm not telling you guys if we have ordinaries or PRs in here) and my big play was outing this other gossip but I am staying my hand for right now. We can discuss and town can tell me what they think. If I should turn up dead by that stupid day kill power, at least you have this post and there are 3 players (two from my chat, one from the Big Rico chat) who know who is in charge of Big Rico's. They can pass it along and I think they should if I die. Just spelling that out now.

Razmos

Oh fuck, hahaha, you guys are right. Hmm, I wonder if I find this more or less annoying than valley girl. Is this a good use of the power though? Her valley girl was hard to read at time, this might be someone attempting to help us? I'm reaching there, I know. I still doubt the curse is scum-aligned, personally.
I suppose it depends. considering the curse has taken a different form this time, its likely it has more than one effect.

The question is whether they chose the effect or it is random, if they chose it I can't imagine using it on Scrafty was an attempt to help, since I find her way of speaking annoying enough to read as it is. If random... I still don't see how it could have helped.

Ty4on

Things suddenly got a lot more interesting...

What great timing to announce that I have an exam coming up tomorrow and will be busy until then.

I'm not sure what to make of this, but I think we should be thorough moving forward. Two town chats that are connected is a huge boon it all inside them are town, but I guess the limit of inviting three people is the way they're balanced? I didn't read Animal Crossing so I don't know how it worked there.
Either way it would really suck to lose this advantage when we haven't been able to get a single scum lynched.

Sorian

Banned
Confirming or denying your existence in my gossip chat or the other one unless needed at this point is something that I will treat as scummy by the way. That retroactively goes to Mike and then goes forward from here. Narrowing the list down of who is effectively in a mason chat at this point only hurts town.

Setre

Dana Cardinal, Night Vale Public Radio Intern.

So the person inviting people to Big Rico's Pizza is The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Everyone's Homes. Yes, I am aware that the role name isn't what she is usually called, I've aired my grievance and the person says that is what Retro named the role. You'll also notice that there is no title on the role, like mine which is Night Vale Radio Intern, this person's has nothing.

Mine is:

Old Woman Josie, who talks to Angels

Sorian

Banned
Mine is:

Old Woman Josie, who talks to Angels

So there's something if we trust Setre, I straight up asked this question as direct as possible and was told there was no role title on this one. So much has bothered me on this claim and I've been thinking about it ever since N1.

Top Bottom