• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keighley: Konami lawyers holding Kojima hostage; audience loudly boos. Inconceivable.

Crocodile

Suikoden is dead
Castlevania is dead
Yugioh is probably dead
MGS is dead
Silent Hill is super dead
accept it and move on with your life
i have

As long as Bloodstained delivers, Castlevania can rest in peace - the torch has been passed. Those other franchises though........

I would not be surprised if Geoff Keighley is now blacklisted by Konami. I wouldn't expect to see any future nominations or involvement.

Boke1879

I would not be surprised if Geoff Keighley is now blacklisted by Konami. I wouldn't expect to see any future nominations or involvement.

After this event. I'm pretty sure the industry just black listed Konami. It's not like we'll be seeing anything worthwhile from them anyway.

Moskalova

CVWusPNUEAEyhvA.jpg:large

Via Wario64 ^^

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
All those pachinko and slot machines he won't be able to announce ;_;

...or my mind just can't comprehend why Konami would do something like this. It just doesn't make any sense. Why would they ruin their reputation rather than just send the guy and lose nothing? The only logical conclusion that I can come to is that it's some kind of publicity stunt. Kojima is no stranger to those and it seems like him to get Geoff on board.

Geoff gets to act like a hero. Kojima gets positive publicity. Konami benefits from whatever the payoff is. Everybody wins. This is METAL GEAR!!!

To me it seems that Konami wants absolute control of their properties. And MGS so far has always been associated with Kojima, Konami perhaps is thinking that in order for people to start associating Konami with MGS (instead of Kojima) Kojima exposure has to go down. I see Konami wanting to take creative control over their IPs like western studio does like Ubisoft over Assassins Creed.

Or perhaps Konami is more worried of getting back to Kojima for whatever reason or who knows.

Damn I want Geoff to write "The Final Hours of MGS V" because it seems there is a lot behind this story that would be really interesting to know.

What could Konami even realistically bring to the Game Awards anymore? They don't have any impressive console titles in their lineup for the forseeable future. With the exception of PES they've all but seemingly stopped exploring any of their IPs on consoles.

Is there a developer or group of developers that were behind Suikoden 1-2 that we can crowdfund into making a "successor" or even get the Suikoden IP? Loved the games but never heard much about who made them.

Spaghetti

Anything Metal Gear related would need Konami approval they own the rights!

Edit:
You don't just got to a commercial awards show if you are in a Burger King commercial and accept an award on their behalf.
not in the case of accepting awards. i could award mgsv a fucking paper crown and give it to my cat and any court in the world would laugh at an attempt to sue me for any kind of rights infringement.

konami can't stop the game awards from giving the award, and they can't stop sutherland accepting.

no one in the entire Industry is gonna want anything to do with Konami after that shitshow
so if they ever do decide to make games again their royally fucked

Seventy70

To me it seems that Konami wants absolute control of their properties. And MGS so far has always been associated with Kojima, Konami perhaps is thinking that in order for people to start associating Konami with MGS (instead of Kojima) Kojima exposure has to go down. I see Konami wanting to take creative control over their IPs like western studio does like Ubisoft over Assassins Creed.

Or perhaps Konami is more worried of getting back to Kojima for whatever reason or who knows.

Damn I want Geoff to write "The Final Hours of MGS V" because it seems there is a lot behind this story that would be really interesting to know.

Hmmmm. That does make sense. I have a hard time believing they are that stupid though. Everyone that plays Metal Gear knows it's made by Hideo Kojima. His name is plastered on everything. If this were the case, it would be smarter to slowly ease him out without making obvious moves like this.

Garlador

UnknownPitifulChupacabra.gif

Honestly, just when I think all those Konami gifs are no longer relevant, BAM, they suddenly are as fresh and topical as they've ever been.

Spaghetti

what is in question is konami agreeing to provide footage and music. that coupled with the social media post, they obviously had no idea geoff was gonna ether them. konami won't do the game awards again.

like the game awards would ever do a PES world premiere

Boke1879

what does this even mean? kojima is confirming that in fact he could have come if he wanted to?

No he's just retweeting the comment. On twitter If you say something and I retweet you. It broadcasts that to ALL my followers to see. If anything Kojima is confirming that Konami blocked him.

Anything Metal Gear related would need Konami approval they own the rights!

Edit:
You don't just got to a commercial awards show if you are in a Burger King commercial and accept an award on their behalf.

It doesn't matter that Konami owns the game. Geoff can give his award to who the fuck he wants; he doesn't need Konami's approval. Because Kojima is an employee, they can stop him going. They can just say that he doesn't have permission to go on a trip to the US on a working day, and refuse to give him vacation time to do it. Sutherland and Joosten are not employees, so they don't have this power over them.

what does this even mean? kojima is confirming that in fact he could have come if he wanted to?

I understand how some could be confused but looking at the comments and the other things Kojima has rewtweeted it's likely he means that Kojima being stopped by Kojima is some bullshit that shouldn't have been perpetrated by Konami.

Top Bottom