• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Chunk 1 (CyberConnect2, UE4) Trailer, "PS4 Console Debut"

Magnus

I have a fairly naive question to ask, I guess. Everyone seems to be agreed upon the idea that this project in particular will be immensely expensive, etc. which helps justify the multi-part release. I have no problem with the multi-part release strategy, but I have to ask, why is this project in particular being regarded as being an inordinately expensive and arduous undertaking compared to the development of a new FF entry? If anything, a big chunk of preproduction work (character designs, scenario/story work, etc.) are either already done or halfway there.

I'm just saying, if people want to justify a different release strategy because this will be expensive, shouldn't that mentality equally apply to something like XV or any other high end big JRPG these days? Or even any of the huge WRPGs like Fallout, Witcher, etc?

Dark_castle

It's literally impossible. Everyone I know in my every day surroundings are in some way talking about this right now :lol I swear, some people don't see how huge this game really is. A perfect example is that two people that I haven't spoken to since 2001 have contacted me again because of this game. It's crazy.

Shit, you reminded me about my child hood friends whom I have lost contact with, who play RPG with me from the past. I should find them again and get giddy over this remake like it was 1997!

Samimista

What I like about Cloud in this game is it looks closer to the portrait art from the original game. I feel like all of the other Cloud models has made him have a softer expression. This game's model seems to be trying to give you that same reaction every character gives Cloud when they see him. His eyes.

78a4ea646e9e566a62121acba8aebe82.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I completely agree with you.

By far my favorite Cloud design since it greatly resembles the portrait art. Especially with the Mako-infused eyes.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I honestly kinda wish I were experiencing something similar. I live with two ardent PC-only gamers who stopped paying attention to Final Fantasy circa 2007 and even my best friends growing up are merely texting me back with "looks promising..."

And we were all Squareheads to the max. For a very long time.

I think my circle has really stopped caring about Square after this past generation. And I don't really blame them. I did too. But ever since 2013 or so (and especially after this year's megaton announcements) I'm back full-force. I hope things go well and my friends are reignited, heh.
That sucks man, but hey that's life! Some people grow out of certain things :).
Shit, you reminded me about my child hood friends whom I have lost contact with, who play RPG with me from the past. I should find them again and get giddy over this remake like it was 1997!
You absolutely should, what's the worst thing that could happen?

MilkBeard

I have a fairly naive question to ask, I guess. Everyone seems to be agreed upon the idea that this project in particular will be immensely expensive, etc. which helps justify the multi-part release. I have no problem with the multi-part release strategy, but I have to ask, why is this project in particular being regarded as being an inordinately expensive and arduous undertaking compared to the development of a new FF entry? If anything, a big chunk of preproduction work (character designs, scenario/story work, etc.) are either already done or halfway there.

I'm just saying, if people want to justify a different release strategy because this will be expensive, shouldn't that mentality equally apply to something like XV or any other high end big JRPG these days? Or even any of the huge WRPGs like Fallout, Witcher, etc?

No doubt those games are expensive to make. But it has to do with how many scenarios the game has, how many locations that look completely different (completely unique assets). The thing is, it was easy for them to make locations back then, all they had to do was make a couple of images and overlay the ability to walk on the map over it. Everything has to be modeled in 3D at high detail for the remake.

The Witcher 3 is a great game but all the villages look the same. It's part of how a massive game can be made, they have to reuse assets. Final Fantasy XV will be no different. I think it will have more unique cities than a lot of other games, but a lot of playtime is padded with big world traveling and quests.

The many unique scenarios, shear number of minigames, locations, characters, etc. And building it all in an AAA format. I am surprised SE are actually willing to tackle this task. I am glad they are going with UE4. If we had another Luminous issue on our hands, FF7R may never come out. :)

squall211

What I loved so goddamn much about FFVII is that it's a very multi-dimensional game that wasn't afraid to challenge the convention. From the cross dressing and the whole wackiness of Honeybee inn, to fitting dogs into sailor outfit, to drinking your goddamn tea! and all the curses, to killing off a major party member permanently many hours into the game, to enemy that chills in bar and being apathetic about the main characters because they're off duty, to various moments where the game suddenly felt like a bloody horror game than a JRPG.

There's never another game that was like FFVII.

And that character loss made an even bigger impact since all that progress...all the hours logged, the experience, weapons, limit breaks attained etc., were just GONE. They didn't get transferred to another character like in FF5. It really made that loss meaningful to the player.

BumRush

I think that's a fair question to be honest. I believe the reasoning is that they don't want to leave out big chunks of FFVII, which is a huge game. FFXV having towns is a MAJOR undertaking. FFVII had 10+ towns and to flesh that out in full HD is very difficult. That's probably a start to a loooooong answer that involves other things, but when you develop a game from scratch, you can make the scope however big you want. With FFVII, you can't really do that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How about killing off Yuffie or whatever her name is. Does anyone even like her?
You're treading dangerous grounds right now, Kyoufu...

ackl

Someone actually gave a very insightful post about this in the meltdown thread. The main issue seems to be the many unique assets that VII has.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188219843&postcount=2604

If they were remaking ESB, it'd still be a dick move to be bringing it up constantly.

I'm sure for a lot of people, FF7r will be their first time experiencing the game (though admittedly, most of those people are probably not on GAF).

A spoiler for Conker's Bad Fur Day from who knows how many years ago... that's meh

But I def agree a massive plot twist/spoiler for a game (or movie) being remade is shitty to keep posting

Yoshichan

She was so pointless in Advent Children. Tifa had an actual role to play and Cid was there because he's Cid but Yuffie? Nobody will miss Yuffie.
Yo, don't bring Advent Children to this. We're talking about the original game here. Yuffie single-handedly has more personality than half the cast together.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm 25 and I still play games

It's legitimately crazy to me that people react with shock to this. 25. 25? I'm 28 and I feel young as hell for this industry. So many lads and lasses well into their fifties are jamming to the gaming scene now.

Old cliches die hard, I suppose.

MrHoot

Well, a few reasons

FF7 in itself, first of all, just has a huge amount of variety that even today's games don't really go for, as the formula for big huge worlds has been streamlined a lot over the years. Mostly in FF7's case, it's the variety in locations, scope of the world, cinematics, amount of characters and dialogue and side-content. It's an incredibly expensive endeavour
Now it's not to say it's IMPOSSIBLE to make it all in one-release. Of course it is. But you did mention FF XV, which is also a pretty huge game as it seems. It's also taking 10 years to even come out, due to what happened internally in square during last generation as well as the sheer scope of the project which probably had to be reworked several times.
Fallout is big but Bethesda has had a "lego" aspect to their world since Oblivion/fallout 3. They have a LOT of reusable assets (lot's of their dungeons are just simply repeated) and while having big stories, they're presented in very simple ways. All of their framework is there to save money. Witcher 3 is huge and has a lot of unique content but still works in a fairly homogeneized, slightly less cinematic world with one character (and also the fact that it's made in Poland, a much less expensive country than Japan).

There is obviously a money reason behind the multi-part, but I think it would be selling the creators short in saying that there wasn't also a creative reason (keeping as much as the original) as well as caution. Nomura is coming out of a 10 year dev-cycle with FF XV (a money eater at this point), and Kingdom Hearts 3 is also being made now which is also a big money-eater, I would assume, due to the license. And well there's a bunch of other licenses. So i'm guessing it's a bit of column A, B and C as they looked at it and went "Well the only way we can decently do this without going mad and in another development cycle that is gonna overlap with the next console is to do it this way".

It's far from ideal, and who knows if they were in a different situation they could've pulled it off. But as "a solution" it kinda makes sense.

I'm just going with the notion since the beginning that yes, the game is going to be somewhat different from the original as it's almost a reimagining in a sense. As long as the content from the original is here and the encounters are here...It's mostly not "What will they cut" but if the things they'll replace them with will be equally as fun and impactful in some sense (of course doesn't mean I'd be okay with trashing everything but looking at it so far, that's far from being the case :p).

That's why I didn't really lose my shit when I saw the news. My real inquiry has and will always be the actual quality of the content and how faithful it is, and so far we still have little news about that.

squall211

It's legitimately crazy to me that people react with shock to this. 25. 25? I'm 28 and I feel young as hell for this industry. So many lads and lasses well into their fifties are jamming to the gaming scene now.

I'm 38. You should see the looks/comments I get from some people if they find out I like video games.

Kyoufu

Good lord, how many more times will this thread title change? lol

What is happening with those strange title changes

The title is fine now. "I of VII" was misleading in my opinion.

Any chance to ever see VI with the same engine? (question especially for the insiders)

Anything's possible and I think it was Nomura who recently stated he'd like to do more Remakes, especially of pre-PS1 era titles. We'll see how VII goes though.

Would Nomura be the guy to direct VI Remake anyway?

squall211

That's a shame. I guess I can relate, though. Occasionally people react to me liking Star Trek like it's fascism. Stigmas, man.

Doesn't bother me at all. I just make light of it. One coworker asked me once "Where do you play them, in your parents basement?"

My answer was "No. I play them on the first floor like a normal person."

idlewild_

Seeing as it is episodic, I bet Eps. 1 ends with either escaping Midgard or the fight with Jenova*BIRTH. That way they can release something and still get extra time to do (most of) the overworld.

Son Of D

"This guy are-*clears throat* I mean is sick"

That's how I hope that line goes in the remake. Has a nice little reference to the original mistranslation and plays it off as a little human error.

Word.

Im 36 and this game is giving me massive chub. Im a bit apprehensive about the episodic stuff, but I understand it. I game with my kids and after they go to bed, I get to play my "dad" games while the wife works.

Kyoufu

I hope not. The only good thing about that "movie" was the music. The story made me retroactively dislike FF7 a bit.

I loved AC, but here's my quick opinion on it:

The story was B-grade anime trash.
The music was Uematsu at his best.
The action choreography was incredible.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
There really isn't much I liked about Advent Children. I have to ignore the story or my ~Blessed FFVII~ goes down a couple of notches narratively; it's really bad and the character returns cheapen VII's climax.

The choreography is obviously pretty cool, but I ain't in it for that. And you really have to be in it for that in order to make AC work.

The music... objectively it's good, but I'm not a metal fan.

Kyoufu

There really isn't much I liked about Advent Children. I have to ignore the story or my ~Blessed FFVII~ goes down a couple of notches narratively; it's really bad and the character returns cheapen VII's climax.

I suppose it's a good thing I haven't experienced the game yet or I may have ended up feeling this way too.

aerts1js

The choreography is obviously pretty cool, but I ain't in it for that. And you really have to be in it for that in order to make AC work.

The music... objectively it's good, but I'm not a metal fan.

I agree with he bolded. The action was okay but it wasn't exactly the reason why I wanted to go back into the FF7 universe. It was for the story.. which it failed miserably at. I'm not even a huge critic on narratives. I liked crisis core.

Looks like the circle has come back around to being positive again. I've felt the same from the beginning. SE is absolutely nailing everything so far. FF7 is gritty, unconventional, and so much more, they are staying true to this beautiful game. If they get it right it has the chance of being the best game of all time twice! Let SE keep this thing in the oven as long as they want, make it into two or three cakes, whatever, I just want this beautiful experience to happen again.

The title is fine now. "I of VII" was misleading in my opinion.

Anything's possible and I think it was Nomura who recently stated he'd like to do more Remakes, especially of pre-PS1 era titles. We'll see how VII goes though.

Would Nomura be the guy to direct VI Remake anyway?

Thank you, this is great news. I very much enjoy new IP, but these trailers of the FFVII remake have me really excited.

MrHoot

I can't wait tho for them to be done with FFXV, VII and Kingdom Hearts 3. I bet they are too because holy shit after all this time I bet you'd want to move on to new things

Kyoufu

What in the hell are u going on about man? Lol its obviously you played the game.

I haven't played the game. I swear.

I've played VIII and IX but found it difficult to try VII because of its LEGO graphics.

I can't wait tho for them to be done with FFXV, VII and Kingdom Hearts 3. I bet they are too because holy shit after all this time I bet you'd want to move on to new things

They probably feel this way about XV at this point, but VII is timeless. Square-Enix will never be done with VII, at least not until it stops being the most beloved FF game in the series which is looking unlikely to change, ever.

Top Bottom