• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 35.9 million sold through to end users

Intrigue

Banned
Only era that was a little stagnant on the PC front was the beginning of the first Playstation (then pulled ahead mid to end), and the first few years into the Playstation 2 (then pulled ahead and did not look back since unified shader tech).

I am not sure, the Amiga still blew away most competition, I was not much of a Windows/PC gamer back then. But if we restrict it to DOS/Win3.1 sure, then you are probably right.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I am not sure, the Amiga still blew away most competition, I was not much of a Windows/PC gamer back then. But if we restrict it to DOS/Win3.1 sure, then you are probably right.

Now you make me miss the Amiga. Need to get back into he emulation scene again, lol.

Yeah, meant mainly Win/PC.

Heimbeck

Banned
PC gaming always been ahead of consoles. Nothing ever changed that atleast not since I started with both which was back around ~1985

Was no-one else impressed with 360 stuff when it was revealed? I always thought it was real good.

Cracking jokes is not hostility. Nowhere did I make any personal attacks to the person.

Of course people can be disappointed, the point I was making with my crack was that if the person is disappointed by lower priced mid range hardware on consoles today, they will likely be disappointed from here on out. I don't think any console manufacturer is going to go the route of higher priced higher specced consoles anymore. If you want to go that route, best get into the PC ecosystem.

Yeah you're right, I apologize.

And I completely agree with your second point.

Intrigue

Banned
Was no-one else impressed with 360 stuff when it was revealed? I always thought it was real good.

Yeah you're right, I apologize.

And I completely agree with your second point.

Absolutely, I was impressed with 360, I was impressed with PS4 as well.

But I never ever compared or thought a console was gonna be more powerful or even in same realm as a PC.

Not really, everyone corrected you in that thread too.
It's pretty cut and dry at this point.
I wasn't incorrect about what I said. Those hardware advantages, however minuscule or negligible they may be, do exist. I was just told than in application, judging from the dichotomy of Ps4 and xbone games, that they don't matter in practice.
I honestly can't agree that it does. It seems pretty cut and dry at this point. Any theoretical advantage the Xbone may have had seems to be disproven in actual application.
True, however to me, maybe because I haven't paid much attention but it's unclear to me what the full potential of dx12 and the cloud are on the xbone.
Best ventilated console for sure. Ohh, I kid I kid.
this reminds me -- I remember hearing lots of complaints about the Ps4 having a "jet engine fan" loudness to it, but I never really had that issue between the two Ps4s I owned. It was like the Ps3, I guess. The fan didn't really bother me.

Heimbeck

Banned
Absolutely, I was impressed with 360, I was impressed with PS4 as well.

But I never ever compared or thought a console was gonna be more powerful or even in same realm as a PC.

iIguess I don't either, I was just more impressed by the 360 than the ps4.

Raist

Banned
So yeah, I was bored.

bingo7haca.jpg

Well that's okay because everybody equally would be having a good time.
No it isn't. The right step for LBP3 was going full on 3D. That would've been the natural transition for the franchise, just like how Mario went through it with Mario 64. The limitations would feel waaay out reach again if they would've done that.

I don't think LBP is dead yet, but Media Molecule won't be making it any more. Let's hope Sumo Digital steps up their game.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Sure, I want my car to be more powerful too, but I didnt buy that model, but lets bitch about that too.

Stupid argument imho.

VERY stupid argument! Last gen , the PS3's price was too high. Now, the systems "aren't powerful, relative to last gen" (even though the best of this gen, literally, smokes the best of last gen and we haven't even scratched the surface).

People will always find something to bitch about, though. Annoying, but that's the nature of the beast!

bombshell

When MS revealed the 360 is was pretty impressive on a hardware level, it wasn't like that this gen with the console reveals.
I don't really consider it an argument for anything, but I think being somewhat disappointed it's not this really mindblowing thing is fine.

I don't exactly agree. Minds were definitely blown when Mark Cerny revealed 8GB GDDR5 RAM for the PS4.

Starts around here in the live thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514454&page=83

Announcement thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514465

I wasn't incorrect about what I said. Those hardware advantages, however minuscule or negligible they may be, do exist. I was just told than in application, judging from the dichotomy of Ps4 and xbone games, that they don't matter in practice.

True, however to me, maybe because I haven't paid much attention but it's unclear to me what the full potential of dx12 and the cloud are on the xbone.
this reminds me -- I remember hearing lots of complaints about the Ps4 having a "jet engine fan" loudness to it, but I never really had that issue between the two Ps4s I owned. It was like the Ps3, I guess. The fan didn't really bother me.

The real world application not mattering means that's it's an advantage that only exists on paper. Like looking at height only and picking the tallest player for your team instead of Stephen Curry.

So no, it's pretty cut and dry.

ethomaz

Banned
Microsoft have said XB1 is still outpacing 360 in the same timeframe. 2005-2007, 360 had sold through 17.7m units. XB1 is at a minimum of 17.7m shipped. Not concrete, but it tells us more than just MAU's (Monthly Active Users @ Ghost).

360 @ 17.7m sold http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/worldwide-360-sales-hit-177m
XB1 outpacing 360 as of 1/04/16 https://news.xbox.com/2016/01/04/greatest-games-extends-to-2016/
Microsoft
So we have no numbers.

17.7m minimum looks low after holiday.

My estimate was around 15m last quarter... that add 2.7m in Q2... too low.

More probably around 19-20m.

I don't think LBP is dead yet, but Media Molecule won't be making it any more. Let's hope Sumo Digital steps up their game.
Sumo fucked LBP3 though. Instead of making the game the 3D leap it should've taken, they added new characters who replaced some of Sackboy's powers that for me personally as someone who loved LBP2, did not make it more enjoyable. The new system for navigating Craftworld was unappealing to me too. The game did not feel like a significant step up like LBP2 did with the original game.

If they're gonna continue the series, honestly I feel like MM's the only dev that can do it justice. I can't think of any other dev Sony can tap that could.
Just wait.
I am.
The real world application not mattering means that's it's an advantage that only exists on paper. Like looking at height only and picking the tallest player for your team instead of Stephen Curry.

So no, it's pretty cut and dry.
that's all I'm really getting at here. 1.75 GHz > 1.6 GHz, and 853MHz > 800MHz. That should be cut and dry, too. I didn't disagree that the Ps4 overall and obviously has more raw power and hardware advantages, but there are some that are still there on xbone.

Sumo fucked LBP3 though. Instead of making the game the 3D leap it should've taken, they added new characters who replaced some of Sackboy's powers that for me personally as someone who loved LBP2, did not make it more enjoyable. The new system for navigating Craftworld was unappealing to me too. The game did not feel like a significant step up like LBP2 did with the original game.

If they're gonna continue the series, honestly I feel like MM's the only dev that can do it justice. I can't think of any other dev Sony can tap that could.

Well it should die then because MM is probably done with it as the primary developer. I doubt Sony would force them to make another one.

DasDamen

I am.
that's all I'm really getting at here. 1.75 GHz > 1.6 GHz, and 853MHz > 800MHz. That should be cut and dry, too. I didn't disagree that the Ps4 overall and obviously has more raw power and hardware advantages, but there are some that are still there on xbone.

You can only compare clock speeds (and claim an advantage) if the two components in question are identical otherwise. This is not the case with respect to the GPUs.

joecanada

doesn't really say much about a console how much it sells though.. but good job i guess.

i'm still pretty disappointed Sony went for a cheaper, not so powerful console. also it's too noisy, controller has seriously pathetic battery life (constant annoyance), lacking features even the PS3 had etc. definitely not the best console ever in my experience. i hope they try harder next time.

I somewhat agree I would buy a 600 ps4 but the market spoke, it's not happening so enjoy saving money and get a spare controller. It's not so bad also the pc architecture was smart

Well it should die then because MM is probably done with it as the primary developer. I doubt Sony would force them to make another one.
Fuck.
You can only compare clock speeds (and claim an advantage) if the two components in question are identical otherwise. This is not the case with respect to the GPUs.
I thought clock speeds were used to determine CPU performance?
If X1 is at less than 18 million sold worldwide, yes.
Hasn't it basically been 1.9 to 1 since launch anyway?

Papacheeks

Banned
Still don't know what GDDR5 is, but it was phantastic to see everyone around going bananas.
(Like taking my kid to the stadium and there was the winning goal in overtime.)

GDDR5 is the same kind of super fast high clocked ram found in modern highend video cards.

The fact they have 8gb of it when we just got 8gb cards this year from AMD. There wasn't anything close to that in 2013, and NVDIA's flagship 900 series was only around 4gb when it launched in 2014.

So they have been ahead of the game for a while at least for a console.

GDDR5 is the same kind of super fast high clocked ram found in modern highend video cards.

The fact they have 8gb of it when we just got 8gb cards this year from AMD. There wasn't anything close to that in 2013, and NVDIA's flagship 900 series was only around 4gb when it launched in 2014.

So they have been ahead of the game for a while at least for a console.
thank you, that's awfully nice of you.

Raist

Banned
So we have no numbers.

17.7m minimum looks low after holiday.

My estimate was around 15m last quarter... that add 2.7m in Q2... too low.

More probably around 19-20m.

They shipped 3.9M in 2013.

They said "10M soon" in mid-november so let's say they were at 11M when the year ended. That'd be 7.1M in 2014.

You expect them to have shipped 8-9M in 2015? Considering they sold 4.3M in the US, their largest market by far, that seems extremely unlikely.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
iIguess I don't either, I was just more impressed by the 360 than the ps4.

Well that's for a multitude of reasons. Programmable shaders were actually just getting into being used, shaders didn't exist much at all in the generation previous outside of PC and OG Xbox, and those games were also not so prevalent. Neither did motion blur or many other things that we now take for granted.

The graphical rendering space was going through all sorts of changes that wasn't all down to the console's power.

A lot of that is the reason why PS3 or 360 to PS4 is a smaller jump visually. What we're seeing now is only a refinement of the graphical rendering techniques already being used, there is no real 'great beyond' at this time.

Throw in diminishing returns as well as the fact that the industry is more risk averse at the time when it comes to gameplay innovation, and its no wonder why you feel like that.

Also you were probably much younger at the time, and were much more able to be impressed. PC's and such things are far more easily obtained than ever.

Its just a completely different era for both the consumer and the industry at large from all perspectives.

They shipped 3.9M in 2013.

They said "10M soon" in mid-november so let's say they were at 11M when the year ended. That'd be 7.1M in 2014.

You expect them to have shipped 8-9M in 2015? Considering they sold 4.3M in the US, their largest market by far, that seems extremely unlikely.
If we're figuring ~17.5M sold through, I could see MS having another ~2M in the channel coming out of the holiday quarter. Over-shipping has always been a holiday tradition for XBox.

anothertech

Don't read too much into it. /s
Ftfy lol

Seriously though. A bit mind blowing how far it's blowing past the competition. I think there are lessons to be learned here. How much difference that first impression can make, I mean, I still hear people talking about the original Xbone plans as if they are still in effect, when they actually changed it all years ago now. Dam.

Gratz Sony, very well played this Gen.

Top Bottom