• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda Twilight Princess HD gameplay comparison, previews, screens

Jay RaR

Game's looking crisp and nice. I like it.

I still consider buy or not Ganondorf amiibo. 4X damage is nice, but is it really worth it to buy, just from one game?

They'll probably pull the same shit in Zelda U and Hero Mode will have a high chance of not being available at the start. Not 4x but 2x can be challenging.

Nanashrew

Banned
i think i noticed another improvement:

The tears of light are automatically collected once you kill the bug. In the other versions you needed to touch the orb that comes from the killed insect.

This useful since some time was wasted trying to reposition Wolf Link so he could touch the orb.

Watching the Eurogamer footage and a walkthrough of the tears of light and in the original they float around above you. Eurogamer footage looks like they automatically collect.

I welcome this change.

Dice//

Banned
Skyward Sword is this decades Wind Waker. People threw so much shit on that game's visuals alone and I never got why. It's objectively gorgeous.

One gripe with it, feeling like they had one job to do was to make the SKY look good and they fell flat there. It just look like puffs of nothing.

skyward-sword-best-worst-zelda-2.jpg

RagnarokX

One gripe with it, feeling like they had one job to do was to make the SKY look good and they fell flat there. It just look like puffs of nothing.

To be fair, they kinda painted themselves into a corner. In order for the surface to be something Skyloftians aren't sure exists they can't be able to see it or fly to it, so there had to be a magical cloud barrier covering the entire bottom of the sky. Problem is that doesn't make for very exciting visuals.

The sky definitely needed more floating islands. Not just rocks.

atbigelow

The Sky in Skyward Sword could have been so cool, but it was super not. Load times into Skyloft, lack of anything going on outside of Skyloft... huge letdown. I have no visual complaints about SS, though.

Game's looking crisp and nice. I like it.

They'll probably pull the same shit in Zelda U and Hero Mode will have a high chance of not being available at the start. Not 4x but 2x can be challenging.

Hero Mode in TPHD is just a menu selection. Ganondorf amiibo mode is something separate. Not sure how you drew that correlation.

Been playing this for quite a long time, and as soon as you get used to the fact that the game has simply aged, you find some of the work done pretty impressive - especially in places, the bg textures (something that most 3D zelda games always have issues with) make a lot of difference in what you get from a location.

Tbh I'm more concerned about the fact that some of the mechanics of the game have aged more than the graphics, Link is particularly twitchy and camera gets confused all the time.

The GameXplain discussion is painful to listen to.

EDIT: That guest speaker WANTS to not like this remaster, Jesus Christ.

The Daan guy is really bad at this. He whines how he doesn't like the original, then comes with bad arguments that are all over the place about the visuals and controls. And Andre is too much of a shy guy to call him out on it.

The GameXplain discussion is painful to listen to.

EDIT: That guest speaker WANTS to not like this remaster, Jesus Christ.

the comment section tore them to shreds though i do agree they should have had someone on the show that liked the game to go along with the negative.

Should I bother to play TP on Wii for the Wiimote controls or should I just wait for this. I got TP at launch but didn't finish it so I don't see the point since I preordered the HD version.
At least you should invest a couple of hours into the Wii version so you can have a better understanding of what the changes are and how they will impact your judgement about the game.

The Wii Remote controls are expertly executed. Is not only about the increased precision of aiming but actually replicating the actions more faithfully. The button mapping feels more intuitive also and you get 4 item slots. Then there's the 3D positional sound, althought of a low quality we must admit XD

The Twilight Princess Remaster looks to me like something that people that are very intimate with this game would apreciate more. The visual changes are not as easy to notice as in the Wind Waker, yet it looks like more work in terms of gameplay has been made in the TP Remaster.

In what way is it more efficient?

The touch screen technology they're using registers taps much better than drags, and taps are much quicker than drags.

Tapping the Gamepad touch screen while pressing a button at the same time doesn't sound user friendly to me?

You don't do both simultaneously. You tap an item icon on the touch screen, then tap the corresponding button to assign that item to the button.

This system was best implemented in Oot3D; in MM3D they changed it so you were required to drag icons to the extra I and II touch-only buttons, which really pissed me off since the implementation was so much better in the previous game.

The touch screen technology they're using registers taps much better than drags, and taps are much quicker than drags.

You don't do both simultaneously. You tap an item icon on the touch screen, then tap the corresponding button to assign that item to the button.

This system was best implemented in Oot3D; in MM3D they changed it so you were required to drag icons to the extra I and II touch-only buttons, which really pissed me off since the implementation was so much better in the previous game.
This is really a big surprise. Ocarina works with taps? \ (@o@!)/

When i said i did the tapping experiment, it was funny enough, with Majora's since i found a way to use taps.

Now, i' ll have to get 50 i don't know from were so i can try Ocarina 3D.

But even before that, tapping was the first thing that crossed my mind when using a resistive touch screen to manage inventory. It's rather strange since Nintendo tends to nail these type of things because game control is one of their great specialitis and priorities.

The game was released on the Wii, is not like they could have put volumetric clouds or something. Still given the hardware is a really beautiful game. Unlike TP.

the comment section tore them to shreds though i do agree they should have had someone on the show that liked the game to go along with the negative.

Daan was negative, but that comment section is an embarrassment. People were basically calling for his head for simply being disappointed

This is really a big surprise. Ocarina works with taps? (@o@!)/

When i said i did the tapping experiment, it was funny enough, with Majora's since i found a way to use taps.

Assuming there isn't an option that I just never found, the only way I could get "taps" to work for the touch-only buttons in MM3D involved a wonky workaround where I abuse the screen's lack of multi-touch to "hand off" a tap between two fingers. It still works for the physical XY buttons though.

ASIS

To be fair, they kinda painted themselves into a corner. In order for the surface to be something Skyloftians aren't sure exists they can't be able to see it or fly to it, so there had to be a magical cloud barrier covering the entire bottom of the sky. Problem is that doesn't make for very exciting visuals.

The sky definitely needed more floating islands. Not just rocks.

Not at all, they should have done something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUpLBkCcVQA

Thick layer of clouds that you can barely even see what's in front of you is the style they should have went for. The problem with SS in general is that it is the only Zelda title that I felt was limited by the console's power. Don't get me wrong I am one of the few who LOVES the sky but it can definitely be improved. And if they went with the clouds like the trailer it would have been a million times more dynamic.

RagnarokX

Not at all, they should have done something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUpLBkCcVQA

Thick layer of clouds that you can barely even see what's in front of you is the style they should have went for. The problem with SS in general is that it is the only Zelda title that I felt was limited by the console's power. Don't get me wrong I am one of the few who LOVES the sky but it can definitely be improved. And if they went with the clouds like the trailer it would have been a million times more dynamic.

But that wouldn't have been possible on Wii... That's a prerendered video.

And nah. While it was disappointing compared to the premise, it's not any more held back than OoT's big featureless circle of grass or TP's heavily disjointed featureless regions separated by loading caves and bottomless canyons everywhere.

Tevious

Code:
[IMG]http://www.gamereactor.es/media/82/legendzelda_1668263b.png[/IMG]

FFS, is that amiibo logo really necessary? That's really going to break immersion for me to be constantly reminded of a fucking toy line every time I go into the menu (or look down at the gamepad, I guess). I really want to replay this game again because I remember the dungeons being great, but the way they're handling amiibo is disgusting. Especially locking content behind it.

Code:

FFS, is that amiibo logo really necessary? That's really going to break immersion for me to be constantly reminded of a fucking toy line every time I go into the menu (or look down at the gamepad, I guess). I really want to replay this game again because I remember the dungeons being great, but the way they're handling amiibo is disgusting. Especially locking content behind it.

I've not noticed that before, it's pretty tasteless.

Those worlds weren't "featureless"...

There was a clear sense of progression, exploration and even wonder in those areas. That's something that having actual land masses brings to a game, even when nothing much is going around.

Having a mostly empty sea or sky doesn't elicit similar feelings. The Hyrule fields in both Ocarina and Twilight have actual landmarks. For example, watching Hyrule Castle lighting up during a thunder storm or arriving to Eldin Brdige for the first time can have an impact on the player.

TheMoon

Code:

And the [SAVE GAME] and [OPTION] buttons aren't breaking immersion for you? This is getting a bit silly now. You're looking at a menu.

Robin64

FFS, is that Miiverse stamp really necessary? That's really going to break immersion for me to be constantly reminded of a fucking Twitter wannabe every time I go into the menu (or look down at the gamepad, I guess).

I hope you are kidding...

Code:

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's a goddamn menu, who cares if there's element that break the immersion. They have to put that stuff somewhere.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why does Zelda even have a menu? Link shouldn't be able to just instantaneously change clothes with the click of an electronic signal. Where's the realism!

Peterc

They did a much better job with wind waker.
Still this HD version looks nice.

I only hoped that they did more effort like they did for wind waker.

On the other hand, when watching a game between ps3 vs ps4 for example.
I can see how small the differents are getting for each next gen. Still it's one of the most important things for each gamer.

jariw

I only hoped that they did more effort like they did for wind waker.

Graphically, they did a smaller effort on Wind Waker, it was just the art style in WW that was very well suited for upscaling.

However, they seemed to do a better effort with the music in WW:HD than in TP:HD.

TheMoon

It really is quite ugly though. Should be under the options menu or something, not straight on the menu screen.

No, this is the place where you tap the amiibo. Go there, tap amiibo, enter Cave of Shadows. It can't be anywhere else or you'd make the whole thing more cumbersome than it needs to be just to the logo doesn't break someone's selective immersion.

No, this is the place where you tap the amiibo. Go there, tap amiibo, enter Cave of Shadows. It can't be anywhere else or you'd make the whole thing more cumbersome than it needs to be just to the logo doesn't break someone's selective immersion.

Uh yeah. You will do that maybe a handful of times compared to how often you open the menu and have to see the logo.
This is as bad as 'hey buy more of our stuff!' Gets. Having to press one more button to put it out of the way under options wouldn't hurt anybody but would make the ui nicer.

TheMoon

Famitsu scans confirm GamePad gyro controls for the marble rolling mini-game at the fishing hole. I don't read Japanese but it says GAMEPAD next to the picture so what else could it mean :D

I wish there weren't these stupid rules about linking to scans ...

You can find them at your usual suspect Nintendo websites.

Tevious

And the [SAVE GAME] and [OPTION] buttons aren't breaking immersion for you? This is getting a bit silly now. You're looking at a menu.

I know you're probably an amiibo collecting apologist here, but c'mon man. It's like having a Mattel logo in the menu of a game because they produced a line of action figures for the characters. It takes me out of the experience because its so distasteful.

Then on top of that, you got game content (that dungeon) being locked behind amiibo now, not just costumes or other useless things. And the only way to play this game in the non-mirrored world with increased difficulty is to use a Ganondorf amiibo. This shit has gone too far.

But that wouldn't have been possible on Wii... That's a prerendered video.

And nah. While it was disappointing compared to the premise, it's not any more held back than OoT's big featureless circle of grass or TP's heavily disjointed featureless regions separated by loading caves and bottomless canyons everywhere.

That's true on both counts, but I gotta say, I've always loved TP's overworld more than OoT's for exactly this reason. And my opinion here is contrary to most people, I realize, but OoT's emptiness irked me in 1996, and it still does now.

Top Bottom