• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M (Wii, Team Ninja x Nintendo) Official Site Opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

etiolate

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
well really, neither does selectively deciding what is 'canon' in metroid.

Really? It's a metroid thread, about a new Metroid game, one which might be screwing with the canon and story and mythos, etc.

andymcc

Banned
etiolate said:
Really? It's a metroid thread, about a new Metroid game, one which might be screwing with the canon and story and mythos, etc.

you're denying the fact that samus was a soldier even though it was established prior to the existence of other m.

etiolate said:

OK see that's the thing.

Sakamoto is going: Hey look Samus has a military history, read the comic, and the other little references we worked into the games and guidebooks and stuff! We're exploring that!

You: BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS *stopping up ears*

Dragona Akehi said:
well really, neither does selectively deciding what is 'canon' in metroid.

Hey, I was just throwing something out there, that certain unnamed individuals might be mentally unstable due to their obsession with nose shapes, why a cartoon game character having a job is terrible, and why bullies and jocks are being racist for making fun of nintendos.

Somnid

Etiolate is even worse than the people who try to make a coherent overarching story in the Zelda franchise. Just stop, it's not your franchise to decide what is and is not kosher. Also stop making shit up to use in your unintelligible arguments please.

EmCeeGramr said:
Hey, I was just throwing something out there, that certain unnamed individuals might be mentally unstable due to their obsession with nose shapes, why a cartoon game character having a job is terrible, and why bullies and jocks are being racist for making fun of nintendos.
never said i was complainin'!

and i think it's a good time to remind people:

ppps: game stories still suck. deal with it.

Cep

Banned
Somnid said:
Etiolate is even worse than the people who try to make a coherent overarching story in the Zelda franchise. Just stop, it's not your franchise to decide what is and is not kosher. Also stop making shit up to use in your unintelligible arguments please.

People do this?

:lol

oracrest

I would like to see them go into the relationship between the chozo and Samus; What it was like having the suit constructed for her.

Wasn't she raised by the Chozo after her parents died? I always imagined her as being sort of distant and strange from being around aliens her whole life, hence the reason she prefers to be alone most of the time.

etiolate

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
OK see that's the thing.

Sakamoto is going: Hey look Samus has a military history, read the comic, and the other little references we worked into the games and guidebooks and stuff! We're exploring that!

You: BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS *stopping up ears*

It's not much a part of the game. It doesn't fit the experience. What makes you so sure this isn't just retconning for the sake of putting in a more popular trend to the franchise?

Again, does playing Samus feel like playing a soldier? Is that narrative in there at all? Barely maybe? Important? Not important. I wouldn't even rule out Sakamoto being unaware that the game experience is vital to narrative.

There is a difference between having military training and being a soldier. The trailer features military references and identity.

etiolate said:
It's not much a part of the game. It doesn't fit the experience. What makes you so sure this isn't just retconning for the sake of putting in a more popular trend to the franchise?

Again, does playing Samus feel like playing a soldier? Is that narrative in there at all? Barely maybe? Important? Not important. I wouldn't even rule out Sakamoto being unaware that the game experience is vital to narrative.

There is a difference between having military training and being a soldier. The trailer features military references and identity.

fusion exists buddy.

dealwithit.gif

etiolate

Banned
oracrest said:
I would like to see them go into the relationship between the chozo and Samus; What it was like having the suit constructed for her.

Wasn't she raised by the Chozo after her parents died? I always imagined her as being sort of distant and strange from being around aliens her whole life, hence the reason she prefers to be alone most of the time.

No, sorry, she's a soldier now! Forget your play experience.

andymcc

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
fusion exists buddy.

i had a hyperlink detailing the plot ready.

way to ruin my fun. : (

oracrest said:

very rarely will you ever see me suggest somone to do this, but read the manga. it details this and some of her time with the galactic federation.

Tain said:
aw, he got banned
This seems like a good time to post this. :D
30bd4eq.gif

andymcc said:
very rarely will you ever see me suggest somone to do this, but read the manga. it details this and some of her time with the galactic federation.
Been reading the manga recently and I really like it.

That panel of Ridley looking sad before he tries to kill baby Samus was so . . . interesting. 0_o

silverbullet1080 said:
He looked like he was enjoying himself when he was crushing her parents skulls in her panic attack flashback.
Wasn't that just her own hellish nightmare powered "flash back"?

I remember her dad blowing himself up to take down Ridley's ship and her mother was burnt to death from Ridley's energy attack.

Black-Wind said:
Wasn't that just her own hellish nightmare powered "flash back"?

I remember her dad blowing himself up to take down Ridley's ship and her mother was burnt to death from Ridley's energy attack.
Yeah I know. But even when it really happened he seemed more irritated/annoyed than upset.

Rebochan

I've actually been reading that manga lately to get ready for Other M. I apparently never read it the first time.

I'm not sure why every comic work of this franchise always feels the need to give her male sidekicks. The ones in the manga aren't any less useless than Armstrong Houston...

Aside from that, it's still an interesting read. The backstory is gold.

HarlockJC

Banned
Rebochan said:
I've actually been reading that manga lately to get ready for Other M. I apparently never read it the first time.

I'm not sure why every comic work of this franchise always feels the need to give her male sidekicks. The ones in the manga aren't any less useless than Armstrong Houston...

Aside from that, it's still an interesting read. The backstory is gold.

hmmm..I did not know about the manga. I will have to check it out. I have always like the story.

Jezan

Black-Wind said:
This seems like a good time to post this. :D

Been reading the manga recently and I really like it.

That panel of Ridley looking sad before he tries to kill baby Samus was so . . . interesting. 0_o
Awww, that part is (IMO) the saddest one: " I'm Samus, three year old...even though...." ;_;

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Looks like I need a gif of a gauge red lining renamed to HULEN10 lining. :lol

You gave him a chance to repent!

Akainu said:
Thats the one. It's looks so silly and she does it with a straight face.:lol

I love it, gonna pull this on one of my friends next time I go to school! :lol
GrotesqueBeauty said:
I wonder if the whole thumbs down thing is purposely meant to play on this:

metroid_SAMUS_thumbsup.jpg
Seems like her left gives the thumbs up and her right gives the thumbs down.:lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
silverbullet1080 said:
He looked like he was enjoying himself when he was crushing her parents skulls in her panic attack flashback.

Yeah, he's a manipulative bastard. He was acting sad.

XenoRaven

I'm liking this manga quite a bit so far. Was it made before or after Fusion though? There are a lot of references to Fusion, and I'm only on chapter 5.

Also Red, I beat it. 94% in 14:36. I just couldn't handle running around scanning everything anymore. I really wanted to finish. I was not disappointed. Looking forward to seeing your playthrough though. I want to know where that damn spring ball is.

Red Scarlet

Try to note which missiles you missed. I can still remember the 3 I got last. I don't get the Spring Ball the normal way, but it's really just a different path (1 room over to get to the door leading to it).

Did you ever get to the other side of that tunnel in upper Norfair that you were wondering about?

Rebochan

XenoRaven said:
I'm liking this manga quite a bit so far. Was it made before or after Fusion though? There are a lot of references to Fusion, and I'm only on chapter 5.

Yea, it was written to promote Fusion. Fusion JP even included some manga art for bonus images instead of the usual cheesecake.

XenoRaven said:

Also Red, I beat it. 94% in 14:36. I just couldn't handle running around scanning everything anymore. I really wanted to finish. I was not disappointed. Looking forward to seeing your playthrough though. I want to know where that damn spring ball is.
I would suggest playing it another time or two at your leisure before watching anyone 100% the game. Once you've uncovered everything there is to find you can't go back and experience it again for the first time.

XenoRaven

Red Scarlet said:
Try to note which missiles you missed. I can still remember the 3 I got last. I don't get the Spring Ball the normal way, but it's really just a different path (1 room over to get to the door leading to it).

Did you ever get to the other side of that tunnel in upper Norfair that you were wondering about?
Yeah I did. It was just a secret exit from Ridley's lair like someone mentioned. Nothing of interest there. I still can't believe I missed a suit upgrade of all things. I even got the missile upgrade
that you have to ride the turtle to get to!
I was so proud of that one!

Just saw the FMV trailer.

Where's the mole? How does she go from a teen with nothing there, to an adult with that disgusting thing grappling onto her chin?

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I didn't mind the newest "trailer", surprisingly.

KeeSomething said:
Say what you want. The message in both those games are so powerful, and the use of metaphors are very well thought-out. The themes are also reflected through the gameplay--something movies can't do.

But this is getting way off topic.
Both games are still built heavily around the quest structure, and devoid of gameplay the stories would collapse in on themselves. The end of Wind Waker does present something surprisingly insightful for a videogame, but that alone does not make a story, and it's more like a fleeting moment in a long narrative that is pretty mundane. Cinematography is an underrated element too, and neither game does much in that regard. No, they wouldn't even beat Crash for best picture Oscar.

Al-ibn Kermit

etiolate said:
yeah I'm not doubting that other M could be a fun game, but it's atmosphere/narrative just doesn't seem to be like the other metroid games.

pretty ot but a couple years ago, I was in a focus group (It was easy money) for a game concept where they were going to take a decades old, still popular arcade franchise (I can't say what) and reboot it with totally new gameplay where the main character is eating seeds, planting trees, and cleaning up pollution. Even though this had nothing to do with the original franchise, we all thought that the gameplay mechanics they explained could make for a fun game, especially for kids. But we all said that it was ridiculous and I pointed out that if it didn't have that XYZ name and character art on the box, then you would have no fucking clue that it was in the same franchise.

It might turn out the same here since I really doubt it'll feel the same as any other Metroid game. Like, it looks fun, but not really atmospheric. Looking at etiolate's ban, I'll take the hint and not debate about series canon and all that bullshit and just wait instead until the game drops before bashing it (yes, if it deserves it). I could be wrong, I hope that I am.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
WordAssassin said:
Just saw the FMV trailer.

Where's the mole? How does she go from a teen with nothing there, to an adult with that disgusting thing grappling onto her chin?
It's not a mole, it's cancer! In this game Samus will fight her cancer problems while fighting the space pirates

upandaway

MCD said:
gonna be my first metroid.

can't wait.
Do you understand just how utterly lost you will be because you did not play Super Metroid?

The game's a direct sequel, the opening has the whole ending of SM. I don't get this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom