• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo @ E3 - No Direct, Just Zelda Treehouse Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
You know, this looks a bit bigger than the typical Soulsborne (or old Zelda) title. It's also the first Zelda game in HD, From was at the 4th and 5th with the two you mentioned, all running on the same engine.
Well Soulsborne games aren't exactly huge. They're rather compact in design.

Griss

Kind of crazy to think that FromSoft has released Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 since Nintendo released this teaser, and there's still another year to go before the game is out.

It is, because that's two Game of the Generation contenders in the same genre as Zelda, and I struggle to believe that even with all this time Zelda will meet the same quality bar.

And doubly-so that they are likely vouching on the game reaching similar reverence as Ocarina of Time.

Yeah, with Aonuma in charge I just can't see it happening. All of his big 3D games have been decent, but disappointing in at least one major way. I'm desperate for them to give someone else a chance with the series.

Why stream games to the public that won't be playable to the attendees of E3 in some form or fashion?

People st E3 won't be watching treehouse.

E3 isn't about the thousands of people attending for companies as much as it's about the millions of people watching.

Well Soulsborne games aren't exactly huge. They're rather compact in design.

Dark Souls 3 is immense, to be fair. Playing through it a second time and seeing how the levels are interconnected in the world is mindblowing. It's far bigger than something like Twilight Princess, just without the open (empty) field.

Yes there are.
-Zelda only playable game
-Zelda only game in Day 1 Treehouse
-Other games shown in Day 2 Treehouse, but not playable on the show floor
-Other games have trailers posted to Twitter / Youtube etc

There, there's a reading where they bring more than Zelda to E3.

Games we already seen and know about...

They won't be revealing anything new since it will probably be moved to NX by now.

Literally this E3 for Nintendo will be old/existing titles we already know about with Zelda being the main focus.

Well I'm excited. Hopefully they make a big hype trailer for this game. TP was the last Zelda game to have good trailers, imo. I'd say every TP trailer was pretty good and exciting. SS' were a snooze fest most of the time.

I just hope they don't spoil the entire game. SS revealed all areas and showed off the 6 main dungeons and all the items before release on their official website.

hyrule-grass.gif

Kind of crazy to think that FromSoft has released Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 since Nintendo released this teaser, and there's still another year to go before the game is out.

The Souls games are nothing like Zelda aside from being fantasy. Not sure why they're being compared

Kyzer

Banned
Games we already seen and know about...

They won't be revealing anything new since it will probably be moved to NX by now.

Literally this E3 for Nintendo will be old/existing titles we already know about with Zelda being the main focus.

There acthally are unannounced 3DS and Wii U titles though

Shaanyboi

Banned
Can Nintendo really pull of a dedicated NX unveil event? Do they even have the skills? Or are they just going to have a NX dedicated Direct?

?

You think there's going to be difficulty in saying "Hey we're going to unveil our hardware. Journalists should be here by this time and date, and we'll show it to you. Oh and we'll live-stream something."

orioto

Good Art™
It's basically Nintendo openly saying "well we're busy this year guys, nothing to show fuck you, see you in 2017"

georly

Oh do fuck off Nintendo :D

Translation: we have nothing, absolutely nothing. We'd like to show the NX but don't want to be embarrassed by Sony & Microsoft. In the meantime here's another Zelda game. We know its irrelevant in this day and age of GTA and COD but we're fucking desperate here.

What. We know nothing about it or what games are coming out for it.

More than likely it's a combination of not having all their eggs in a row AND E3 having less of an impact than it used to (considering the success of their nintendo directs and the propensity for doing your own event for your own fans).

The only advantage E3 still has (if any) is it means some people might watch your trailer or your demo because they're just watching all E3 coverage - but it's way more likely you'd get their views off a tv or youtube commercial anyway.

I still think we'll get trailers/reveals, just through social media/youtube. No way we don't get more color splash footage, at least.

As it has been stated multiple times, I think people understand that the NX isn't at E3 because it's not ready. But what people want to know is How the hell is it not ready?

if we are to believe what nintendo have said, the NX should be out in less than a year

like at this point you console should be running so why aren't they showing it at E3

they could of had a big impact at E3 this year but nope just Zelda

Because it's not at a point where it's ready to show. That could be because they don't want competitors stealing the new console's gimmick or the games they're developing aren't at a stage where they'd be happy displaying them or they don't want their console overshadowed by competitor's products or they don't want to try to get the message of their console out to an ever-increasingly hostile press or they don't want to compete with Sony and Microsoft's marketing budget on that particular week of the year.

Or any combination of the above or something else entirely.

wrowa

I mean...someone correct me if I'm wrong...

All I'm getting from that is that Nintendo may or may not have other games to show and as far as Treehouse is concerned, the first day is devoted to Zelda.

Have they confirmed they'll do several days of Treehouse Live? If they only got Zelda to show, then three days would be kind of overkill. They can play the demo segments only so often until even the last person on Earth gets bored.

Sagroth

Well, so much for the 'surprise' Mother 3 drop at E3 like Earthbound Origins last year. Nintendo literally has nothing to show.

This also puts a colossal amount of pressure on the NX reveal, and if the WiiU reveal and last year is any indication, it won't live up to the expectations. About the only thing we know they'll have is Pikmin and the Zelda port, and that won't be anywhere near enough. If this delay to focus on having a great launch lineup is smoke and mirrors then the online response is not going to be pretty.

Indigo Rush

Neo Member
I'm a huge fan of Zelda so I'll be plenty satiated, but dang. Not even a little booth to the side for their other games? Literally nothing else?

Let me tell you, Nintendo had better be busting out circus elephants and free candy falling from the sky during whatever NX reveal event they have planned, because skipping E3 is really disappointing a loooot of people right now. I can understand delaying Zelda again. I can understand releasing the NX next year. I can even understand waiting to reveal it until after it's competitors do their thing at E3 so they have all the focus on themselves when it's time. But I can't understand not showing anything besides one (probably really really amazing) game at E3. It's so weird.

I'd still like to believe they'll have at least ONE little surprise for fans.

And by little, I mean an eShop game or some HD remaster.

Having nothing for half a year is ridiculous.

Kouriozan

Something awful must have happened with NX, it's surprising Nintendo would waste that much money for E3, only to show Zelda.
Next time they should just skip it and do their own event, like more and more publishiers are doing those days.

Nzyme32

Personally not seeing a massive issue here. Obviously some will not be happy about a lack of WiiU content at E3, but it is clear they have prioritised NX development for a long time.

They have been clear about NX and an event later in the year. That is likely where most of their announcements will be, and perhaps even an explanation (if at all) into how WiiU may fit into that. E3 may be the time where that event gets a solid date, so there is something to look forward to, and it may also be mentioned at what to expect outside of NX (if at all).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So it's not that skipping the E3 direct is a bad idea, just that the Wii U failure has put in such a bad position that skipping E3 is a good idea given the circumstances. If you have nothing else to show, then don't force it just to meet tradition. The NX reveal is their biggest focus and clearly their not ready to show it. I think we can all agree that the best thing Nintendo can do is make sure their NX reveal is top notch. If it isn't ready for E3, then forcing it will just make things worse.

It's difficult to argue if this really is bad or good when we have practically no idea what their long term plans are at the moment. I'm leaning towards good.

No it's not. It's never a good thing to skip E3.

wrowa

Well, so much for the 'surprise' Mother 3 drop at E3 like Earthbound Origins last year. Nintendo literally has nothing to show.

This also puts a colossal amount of pressure on the NX launch, and if the WiiU reveal and last year is any indication, it won't live up to the expectations. About the only thing we know they'll have is Pikmin and the Zelda port, and that won't be anywhere near enough. If this delay to focus on having a great launch lineup is smoke and mirrors then the online response is not going to be pretty.

We don't even know when the console will be revealed, so making assumptions about the games we know will lunch on NX is at this point completely pointless. The only thing we know for sure is that we know pretty much nothing.

Toxi

Banned
Dark Souls 3 is immense, to be fair. Playing through it a second time and seeing how the levels are interconnected in the world is mindblowing. It's far bigger than something like Twilight Princess, just without the open (empty) field.
Oh yeah, Dark Souls 3 has some gigantic-ass areas. Cathedral of the Deep is probably the largest area I've seen in a Souls game.

Griss

The Souls games are nothing like Zelda aside from being fantasy. Not sure why they're being compared

You play in third person, use a sword to attack, and go on an adventure. They're definitely the same genre at the very least. One has a focus on puzzles, the other has an RPG levelling system attached. But the core gameplay is the same.

Nintendo should host their own event, with a Super Smash Bros tournament (melee and 4), to announce the NX and showcase their upcoming titles. A good example is Blizzcon.

I am a surprised that people did not see this coming and even more so that some are upset about this recent news. E3 has been one long running joke for the last decade and Nintendo can honestly do better.

Not only has E3 been a joke for a decade, but by nature is gross as fuck spectacle that is one big commercial for AAA gruel and slop for people who sustain on the hot steaming garbage that has become the status quo for this industry. (the exception here is Dark Souls)

The sooner more companies do their conferences elsewhere and at a other times, the more ESA decides to reform E3 or kill it off for good.

For an event that shapes the landscape of games for the year and influences educated and empowered consumers, making it a journalist only event strikes me as though they don't trust the consumer to see for themselves what's the hub bub about.

This strikes me as elitist and stupid.

As gross as Gabe and Tycho have been in the last half decade or so, the PAX conventions satisfy my wishes* in terms of news and videos as an informed Internet consumer.

*there are more important issues in the main PAX conventions that need to be addressed by the convention planners that are never addressed by them*

Vuze

My takeaway is that they will show nothing but the Zelda game at E3 then? The fuck. I've always enjoyed checking out Treehouse but I couldn't care less about Zelda. Now imagine if that doesn't turn out how fans of the franchise wanted it to be lol

Rehynn

To be fair, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 3 are more similar than pretty much any two 3D Zeldas.

atr0cious

Are you arguing that games like Bloodborne and Dark Souls are bad and don't sell well?
From makes janky games with great mechanics, the games are meant to be run through repeatedly, and they wish they sold on the scale Zelda games did. Not to mention how different the gameplay is, where Zelda focused more on everything else besides combat. Just a bad comparison all around.
To be fair, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 3 are more similar than pretty much any two 3D Zeldas.
This too.

Calamari41

41 > 38

And I've long argued that Nintendo should release Majora's Mask-esque sequels more often in between these six year Zelda droughts. It's been nice getting the remasters and handheld games lately, so I do give them credit for that.

From makes janky games with great mechanics, the games are meant to be run through repeatedly, and they wish they sold on the scale Zelda games did. Not to mention how different the gameplay is, where Zelda focused more on everything else besides combat. Just a bad comparison all around.

Well, to each his own, but I've put a lot more time into and had a lot more fun with new Souls games since 2011 than new Zelda games.

Pizza

In b4 Zelda has a funny control scheme like Starfox. That would explain the fact that they are giving MASSIVE amounts of time with it to everyone: to avoid the "yeah it plays like shit" impressions starfox left last e3.

Or Nintendo realizes that the Pokemon company couldn't give two shits and no one is buying federation force or color spash anyways. Why make a game and just send it out to die? Idk.

Saying "lol fuck e3" makes Nintendo seem as shit as public perception has painted them out to be, and that's embarrassing. MAYBE. MAAAAAAAAYBE they're not mentioning NX at all so the other two can't plan a response. MAYBE this is all a ruse. But I doubt it.

There's also no fucking way the NX is coming March of next year. I just don't see it happening. It'll be announced at next year's e3 and drop that winter. I'll be happy to be wrong but Nintendo not being at e3 in any major way less than a year before their new console drops is silly. Or Nintendo just doesn't give a fuck

I'll be too busy watching footage from Sony, Microsoft and all of the big publishers. As they will actually have substance and more than one game that is still probably well over a year away. I'll see some footage on Youtube or something.

I mean, it's one thing to correctly state that nintendo is boned this year.

But the other guys will have a lot of upgraded 2.0 console and/or pc footage as usual, and games that are like 4 years off (or in last years case, even crowd funded). Zelda is the only recent example of this out of Nintendo

Hey Nintendo, I am your life long fan and here are some of the series I care about more than Zelda:

F-Zero
Super Mario
Kirby
Rhythm Paradise
Mario Kart
Smash Bros.
Pokemon
Band Bros.
Animal Crossing
Mario and Luigi
Paper Mario
Donkey Kong
Wario Ware
Mario Strikers
Mario Party (before you ruined it)
Mario Tennis (before you ruined it)

Other series which I probably care equally for:
Advance Wars
Fire Emblem
Pikmin
Metroid

Yes, people like me exist. This presentation means nothing to me and I bought a 3DS and Wii U day 1.

When you say you like Band Bros more than any Zelda game ever made you must realise you're such a tiny minority it's lucky Nintendo even release games that you like, never mind them catering their E3 around your ultra niche fringe taste.

georly

Something awful must have happened with NX, it's surprising Nintendo would waste that much money for E3, only to show Zelda.
Next time they should just skip it and do their own event, like more and more publishiers are doing those days.

Doesn't necessarily have to be something AWFUL, but maybe the new 3D mario or whatever great launch title they have wasn't ready. Maybe hardware caused the system to be delayed and they'd rather reveal 6 months before instead of 9 months. Maybe they really do think E3 isn't worth it to show off their big guns (don't want news to be drowned, or at the least not watered down). Maybe they have their own event planned from now on and want this year to be its big debut - so they just go through the E3 motions and not actually do anything other than make 1 big commercial for their biggest 2017 game. Could be a ton of reasons that may or may not ever be clear to us.

But one thing is certain, they're treating E3 with less importance this year than they have before, either out of necessity or out of choice. Hopefully we'll know which by the end of the year.

Rodin

You play in third person, use a sword to attack, and go on an adventure. They're definitely the same genre at the very least. One has a focus on puzzles, the other has an RPG levelling system attached. But the core gameplay is the same.
Wow. That's how you compare titles now? Souls and Zelda games are nothing alike, and whenever i see a direct comparison between the two i don't even understand what's going on.

Maybe it just wasn't read for a public show, or that thing about AMD screwing up NX and new Xbox plans was true. Who knows.

Anyway, it's kind of hilarious to say "only to show Zelda", as if it's some random 3rd category title. I know that's not what you meant but that's how it looks if it's repeated for 13 pages. If there is one Nintendo IP right now that can justify a show entirely focused on it, that's Zelda, this chapter in particular, and for many reasons. And i assure you that if Nintendo made a normal direct with the other titles available, the reception would've been very similar to last year. Why even bother? They're showing their biggest game anyway.

Rehynn

And I've long argued that Nintendo should release Majora's Mask-esque sequels more often in between these six year Zelda droughts. It's been nice getting the remasters and handheld games lately, so I do give them credit for that.

Basic mechanics and art style aside, Majora's Mask is VERY different from Ocarina of Time.

Indelible

I really have no idea what Nintendo is thinking anymore, a Treehouse seems like the weakest possible way to showcase a new Zelda game.

I get the feeling Nintendo is using 2016 to go to the mountains and train while leaving the skeleton crew to cover things until next March.

Griss

Wow. That's how you compare titles now? Souls and Zelda games are nothing alike, and whenever i see a direct comparison between the two i don't even understand what's going on.

I've always thought that the core method of interaction and gameplay is how titles should be compared, yes. That's how genres are formed or should be formed.

And nothing alike? I told you how they're alike. If you don't understand what's going on with that I can't help you. What genres would you put them in if not third-person action-adventure? What titles would you compare them to?

As a long-term Zelda fan the first time I played Demon's Souls way back on release my first thought was that it reminded me of a grown up, super-dark Zelda game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Probably but honestly I think they're ahead of the curve on this. I honestly can't see E3 lasting for more then 5 years at the most, it's just not needed anymore.

So did you completely miss E3 last year or something? Like EVERYONE of GAF said E3 was fun last year.

Now all of a sudden it's not needed at all by anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom