• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZOMG FAMITSU DELIVERS THE TRUTH OF JESUS!

duckroll

hteng said:
i think it's closer to virtual on than anything, basically it's a permenant lock on enemies and just strafing left right with some vertical movement.

and yes, people shouldn't expect this to be a ZOE type game

I would certainly compare the game to Frame Gride, which is kinda like Virtual On.

Cacophanus

Frame Gride?!? The dashing is almost entirely analogue in that game. In that you can change direction mid-dash as you want, which is a lot more like Armored Core really than Virtual On.

It's definitely not ZOE though as the melee and ranged combat is linked with a much more rigid boosting system. Virtual On is also much more rigid than ACE, as that has fixed length vectored dashes. Admittedly, in Oratan you had Watari and curved dashes but they are FAR more restrictive than what you have in ACE.

ACE uses a very clever and quite subtle system that utilises both an analogue movement setup and a moderately rigid dash that affects the ballistic properties of your weapons. So whilst you travel faster whilst boosting your weapon tracking is reigned in - so you have to get a good firing solution relative to your movement in order for the shots to connect.

That said, Orguss for the win!

Baki

SO I wasn't familiar with what Another Century Episode was so I googled it. From my understanding it is a robot game made by FROM SOFTWARE. Did the previous iterations ever make it stateside?

Also, MONSTER HUNTER BOSSES IN PEACE WALKER = DAY -1 BUY!!!!!

duckroll

Cacophanus said:
Frame Gride?!? The dashing is almost entirely analogue in that game. In that you can change direction mid-dash as you want, which is a lot more like Armored Core really than Virtual On.

It's definitely not ZOE though as the melee and ranged combat is linked with a much more rigid boosting system. Virtual On is also much more rigid than ACE, as that has fixed length vectored dashes. Admittedly, in Oratan you had Watari and curved dashes but they are FAR more restrictive than what you have in ACE.

The controls in Frame Gride are certainly more similar to Armored Core (not surprising), but I mean the actual game design. Armored Core is relatively grounded in specifically a more military style real robot design. The weapons, stages, and enemies all reflect that. Frame Gride had a more anime/fantasy bent to the entire game design, both in the mechs and in the weapons. It's something which ACE has certainly adopted, especially in later installments.

Cacophanus

Baki said:
SO I wasn't familiar with what Another Century Episode was so I googled it. From my understanding it is a robot game made by FROM SOFTWARE. Did the previous iterations ever make it stateside?

No, as all the games featured licensed mecha from various anime shows and movies. It's the same reason the Super Robot Wars (bar the OG stuff) has never left Japan. The rights issues are hugely complex!

The ACE games are almost entirely bloody marvellous though and well worth importing anyway. Here are some videos from the three games released thus far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGrIEJkGi5M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUtnWx9kOxQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn7144AO-I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rzhwekvfCE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFY24-JMGwE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz9dAV8M8qA

duckroll said:
The controls in Frame Gride are certainly more similar to Armored Core (not surprising), but I mean the actual game design. Armored Core is relatively grounded in specifically a more military style real robot design. The weapons, stages, and enemies all reflect that. Frame Gride had a more anime/fantasy bent to the entire game design, both in the mechs and in the weapons. It's something which ACE has certainly adopted, especially in later installments.

That's more an aesthetic leaning though, on account of the host series used (as in Dunbine, Rean, Gainer etc.), not a functional concession. I really wouldn't call that "game design", as you're talking more about the art style surely?

duckroll

Cacophanus said:
That's more an aesthetic leaning though, on account of the host series used (as in Dunbine, Rean, Gainer etc.), not a functional concession. I really wouldn't call that "game design", as you're talking more about the art style surely?

It's not really just art. There's a clearly functional aspect of the mechs based on their design and their weapons. For one thing, there's way more melee combat compared to AC, and there is also a very conscious decision to make the action aspects more arcade-like compared to AC, especially in giving various mechs defining special attacks and unique gimmicks. Layzer's V-MAX mode is a good example. You'll never find something like that in an AC game.

Cacophanus

duckroll said:
It's not really just art. There's a clearly functional aspect of the mechs based on their design and their weapons. For one thing, there's way more melee combat compared to AC, and there is also a very conscious decision to make the action aspects more arcade-like compared to AC, especially in giving various mechs defining special attacks and unique gimmicks. Layzer's V-MAX mode is a good example. You'll never find something like that in an AC game.

Well, V-MAX is basically embedded into the newer AC games, notably that of AC4 and ACFA (on account of the new Primal Armor and Assault Armor - it was lifted from Layzner).

I would say that Frame Gride is definitely more arcade focused though and the melee has a few more functional aids - though visual not functional (as in ACE you can orbit a locked on player, whereas in Frame Gride you have to track them manually - which is again more like Armored Core).

I really wouldn't say that Frame Gride has any real linkage to ACE though, it's more much of a fantasy skinned version of Armored Core. As you say, that's hardly surprising as the same team went on to make Armored Core 2 up to Silent Line.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I like to see people hyped!
Good work duckroll (Though i dont know what the hell are you talkin' about)

Also, no KOFXIII info ?

Can someone explain me why there is not still Gurren Lagann in a game like AC or the Robot Taisen's?
Because that would make me buy a game, even if its in Japanese.

Cacophanus

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Can someone explain me why there is not still Gurren Lagann in a game like ACE or the Robot Taisen's?
Because that would make me buy a game, even if its in Japanese.

It was co-produced with Konami (hence why the Gurren Lagann DS was published by them).

Banpresto is a subsidiary of Bandai Namco, so SRW and ACE are effectively competing brands.

Still could happend one day though, as Virtual On was a SEGA license and that made it into SRW.

Enron

Banned
Gurren Lagann is a surefire way to get me to NOT buy the game.

So sick of it. Don't know why people love it so much.

Cacophanus

xero273 said:
I always thought mechs in geass were real robots.

Depends on the season and technically the 2nd season mecha are actually hybrids, not supers.

Anyway, Shin Getter was featured in ACE3 (not to mention King Gainer) so they've already dealt with supers and hybrids - though they did have to nerf them slightly to be fair.

Raist

Banned
duckroll said:
THE GRACE OF GOD CONTINUES. THE WORD OF THE BIBLE SAYS PEACE WALKER WILL FEATURE BOSSES FROM MONSTER HUNTER!

Wait, what?

Has the capcom=konami=capcom meme reached Japan now?

Cdammen

I was like...

"YES! Some exciting news from Japan!"

...then I...

"What? Where is the EXCITE? Wuh? Huh?"

:|

(EDIT) Now I get it, several pages in. And yay at Ace Combat.

ACE is reason enough to get hyped. Your loss, duders.

Famitsu comes out on Thursday in Japan, right? So buying this for the train ride to Kamakura.

TreIII

Preliminary translations from /m/ relating to the recent Terada blog...

Some quick translations:

-"Huh? Didn't you say 3 was the FINAL game" Honestly, back then even I (Terada) thought "Why are we putting THE FINAL on this?" Well I guess you could say it's the final PS2 game, sorry. :)lol )

-Char's counterattack will only have the Nu Gundam

-Macross Frontier is the TV version.

-No more series than the ones already announced.

-Only 1-3 playable units from each series. Eg. for GSD: Destiny, Strike Freedom, and Infinite Justice, for CGR2: Lancelot Conquista, Shinkirou, and Guren Kashoushiki.

-Their working from scratch (since it's now PS3) so it's hard making so many units. They'd rather concentrate on graphics and action.

-No vocal BGMs (except for the original song), there are still instrumentals.

-Next post he'll talk about the story.

- http://blog.spalog.jp/?eid=832291

OK...for that small of a roster, I'm REALLY hoping that the gameplay is truly something beyond what we got in the past games. And it seems that this will likely be precursor to inevitably more games.

Hmmm...

Bebpo

Banned
Way to destroy the hype for the game in a single day. No vocal songs? GTFO. That alone makes me almost bail on the game. That's just a question of money and they are too cheap to pony up the cash despite the high sales of the series. Total crap.

No Sazabi? Again, ugh.
No more series? Ok, I guess since it's a new engine and a fresh start you gotta cut back on content...I'm ok with that. About the same series as ACE1.
1-3 units per series? So like 20 units total? ....uhhhhhhhh

The game better play like Jesus on skates or this is going to be a HUGE step back and piss fans off.

WYWY

Cacophanus said:
Banpresto is a subsidiary of Bandai Namco, so SRW and ACE are effectively competing brands.
Not sure what you mean there... I was under the impression Banpresto does ACE's scripts and scenarios, and help out with mecha designs. Sure Banpresto doesn't have good 3D talents, but they are really good with mecha designs.
(EDIT: The man Terada himself blogs about it!)

My memory's vague, but I was certain Banpresto's logo pops up somewhere in an ACE game, credits or the official web site.

Plus their release dates have never clashed. There's always a good healthy interval between ACE and SRW(home console) releases.

Bebpo

Banned
Lineup guesses:

Orgus - main guy & girl's unit? Trying to remember the units

Zeta - Probably MK-II, Zeta Gundam, Hyakushiki

CCA - Nu

Crossbone - Crossbone version 1 & 2, eyepatch guy's unit? Been a while since I read Crossbone.

SEED-D - Destiny, Freedom, Justice

Overman - Overman, wacky girl

FMP - probably like 1 unit with 3 variations

Geass - Lancelot, Shinkuro, Guren

Aquarion - Probably just Aquarion in all 6 forms

Macross Zero - Main guy and other dude's ships

Macross Frontier - dunno, didn't watch

So maybe around 25, or 30 if you count all the Aquarion variations? I hope at least there will be 10+ unique boss units from each series to fight against (and probably be playable in ACE-R2)

Bebpo

Banned
Also if the content is that small and it's 70% done, I'm guessing it's coming pretty soon. Maybe September? I think I remember ACE coming out in September before. Doubt it's an xmas game.

And yeah, it better have some kind of online with that amount of content.

Beth Cyra

Okay now I'm pissed.

I mean I was down on the Series choices but I figured it would be the full list so that doesn't really get me to bad.

No vocals though? That is freaking dumb heck they rereleased 2 with a vocal addition because they knew that was what fans wanted.

And only 3 untis per series? Only Nu Gundam from CCA? Dumb as hell. Where the hell is Sazabi? Why am I stuck with Destiny, SF and IJ again? If you are going to force me to play through the shitty remake of Zeta Gundam at least give me the decent characters from the show like Mwu.

Well I am definitly disappointed but I will still pick it up, if for no other reason then to hope that they actually do another one and hopefully it will be more along the lines of something I can really enjoy.

WYWY

Bebpo said:
That's just a question of money
Let's not get carried away. Where $ is concerned, in my real life, I never apply the expression "that's just". :)

No more series?
Well, his blog does mention "except for the original character's mecha".

No vocal songs?
I'm indifferent here since I find a fair number of vocals to be unbearably ugly. But I'm sure this is a great feature for anime fans.

1-3 units per series? So like 20 units total?
I'm also indifferent here as having many numbers also end up having many units that play nearly identical with only a different coat of paint. No SRW strategic variety. But again I think this is something anime fans will like.

No Sazabi? Again, ugh.
Actually I'm hoping that we can give the usual UC staples a rest for at least one console generation. As in everything "pre-Unicorn Gundam". What is this fascination CCA? Is this something the fans want, or just a developers' favorite?

Bebpo

Banned
It's because CCA units are very cool looking, have neat weapons, and are fun to play as. Plus their pilots are great.

duckroll

The game certainly sounds like it's running on a much lower budget than before. But even then, if you think about the series they picked I wouldn't really care about missing vocal songs from MacF, Geass, or SEED-D. :lol

I really hope the gameplay and action makes up for it. From Software has been really good with the ACE series imo, so there's definitely good reason to hope they'll deliver. Hopefully they'll come up with some good originals and announce them, that's something they should not have an excuse for, since they're not licensed units. Terada himself sounds kinda defeated honestly, and it seems like Bandai isn't giving him as much budget for the SRW games anymore either.

Bebpo

Banned
And don't get me wrong. I'd be ok with no Zeta, CCA, SEED. It does get boring playing as the same units over and over in all the mecha games.

Would rather have more series that haven't had as much game exposure like X, Turn A, F91, OO, First Gundam, Unicorn in terms of Gundam.

I'm guessing no cool original designer like the Persona guy this time either. Probably too expensive ;_;

hteng

Banned
dude if you put Nu gundam in it then you sure as hell has to put Sazabi too. Amuro and Char complete each other!

Bebpo

Banned
I'm guessing CCA has no point in the plot since it's at F91/Crossbone timeline UC. But they just threw Nu in so they could have Amuro somewhere in the game.

Doesn't really explain why Zeta is in. I don't think Zeta really needs to be in this game after being in ACE already and Gundam Musou and SRW Z. Way too much exposure lately.

TreIII

duckroll said:
The game certainly sounds like it's running on a much lower budget than before. But even then, if you think about the series they picked I wouldn't really care about missing vocal songs from MacF, Geass, or SEED-D. :lol

I really hope the gameplay and action makes up for it. From Software has been really good with the ACE series imo, so there's definitely good reason to hope they'll deliver. Hopefully they'll come up with some good originals and announce them, that's something they should not have an excuse for, since they're not licensed units. Terada himself sounds kinda defeated honestly, and it seems like Bandai isn't giving him as much budget for the SRW games anymore either.

According to what I've been reading over at SRW Genesis, it may not even be (all of) the original From staff from before. It may just be mainly Terada's peeps and a few From staffers helping out.

Again, can't agree enough: gameplay and graphics really need to deliver, or else this game will be yet another victim of the "HD Jump/Splat", where the successor can't hope to match up to its PS2 era predecessor... :D;

androvsky

duckroll said:

I figured it was just going to turn into a festival of DLC.

Bebpo

Banned
DLC would be dumb because they'd be like the extra units in past ACE games that have no plot significance...kind of boring. The whole fun is incorporating these characters and their anime into the main plot and playing out scenarios.

duckroll

TreIII said:
According to what I've been reading over at SRW Genesis, it may not even be (all of) the original From staff from before. It may just be mainly Terada's peeps and a few From staffers helping out.

Again, can't agree enough: gameplay and graphics really need to deliver, or else this game will be yet another victim of the "HD Jump/Splat", where the successor can't hope to match up to its PS2 era predecessor... :D;

What evidence is there that this isn't really being developed by From Software?

Zengar

TreIII said:
Preliminary translations from /m/ relating to the recent Terada blog...

-Char's counterattack will only have the Nu Gundam
-No more series than the ones already announced.
-Only 1-3 playable units from each series.
-No vocal BGMs (except for the original song), there are still instrumentals.

What the fuck?

hteng

Banned
i don't think banpresto even has the tech or knowledge to render full scale 3D real robots. look at their SRW Neo, it's still in SD and the texture and animation is kind of bland. I'd say leave it to the veterans to do the rendering and animation (Fromsoft).

bttb

Release dates from the Nintendo retailer meeting:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii, Nintendo)
- May 27th
- 5,800 yen

Xenoblade (Wii, Nintendo)
- June 10th
- 6,800 yen

Hospital (Wii, Atlus)
- June 17th
- 6,980 yen

duckroll

Terada has posted an update on the SRW blog about ACE-R. He clarifies some of the points he previously made. He said that when he says each series has about 1-3 playable units, he is only counting the base unit. So for units with various variations, different equipment load outs and upgrades, etc, it still only counts as 1 unit. He also says that Ranka and Sheryl's song will be included in the game, so it's not true that there are no vocal songs at all.

Beth Cyra

Well if Duckroll's theory is right then I am happy we are getting it at all. I love ACE and SRW so hearing that Tereda isn't getting inside support really blows and makes me fear for future games.

SRW Z was such a great step up, at least in animation that I almost hope they don't move to the PS3 and just stick to the PS2 if they are indeed having problems from with in. The engine is great and I happy with that and would hate to see them cut back just because they went HD.

I would hate to see SRW Z be the best the series ever gets just because I want to see them expand even further.

Edit

And My PS3 is NTSC so I can't play JPN Ps2 games on it so it sucks for me but no HD SRWZ.

hteng

Banned
TruePrime said:
Well if Duckroll's theory is right then I am happy we are getting it at all. I love ACE and SRW so hearing that Tereda isn't getting inside support really blows and makes me fear for future games.

SRW Z was such a great step up, at least in animation that I almost hope they move to the PS3 and just stick to the PS2 if they are indeed having problems from with in. The engine is great and I happy with that and would hate to see them cut back just because they went HD.

I would hate to see SRW Z be the best the series ever gets just because I want to see them expand even further.

well if your ps3 has ps2-BC then i don't see a problem with that, SRW Z already has HD sprites, infact, i played it on my PS3. Though i agree it's time to move onto the HD platforms to expand on new ways to present the 2D glory.

bttb said:
Release dates from the Nintendo retailer meeting:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii, Nintendo)
- May 27th
- 5,800 yen

Xenoblade (Wii, Nintendo)
- June 10th
- 6,800 yen

Hospital (Wii, Atlus)
- June 17th
- 6,980 yen

Yay we get Mario Galaxy 2 first ^^

Bebpo

Banned
hteng said:
well if your ps3 has ps2-BC then i don't see a problem with that, SRW Z already has HD sprites, infact, i played it on my PS3. Though i agree it's time to move onto the HD platforms to expand on new ways to present the 2D glory.

uhhhhh
uhhhhhhhhhhh

...wat?

I played through Z on my PS3 in BC. I also played some on my PS2. The image quality was almost identical except you get some scanlines in BC because it's a 480i game being forced into 480p. The sprites are certainly not HD.

But I agree I'd be fine with a PS3 SRW using sprite quality of Z. They still look great even if they're SD.

Top Bottom