• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 Confirmed!

mclem

selig said:
No. It is EXACTLY the same as the bird monster-flying in Twilight Princess. Down to the animations of the bird itself.

Which, btw., makes me scared that Nintendo might re-use TP-bits for Zelda Wii. Hopefully, they´re online reusing this for SMG2.

Clearly the logical conclusion is that they're re-using SMG bits for Zelda Wii.

WillyFive

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Can't say I expected to hear this about a non-RPG Mario game. Did they step things up a bit for SMG?

Super Mario Galaxy 1's story is almost creepily deep, having to do with consequences on environments by pollution, sacrifice, and searching for your lost loved ones.

It was all optional, but if you explore the story, the ending actually makes sense.

Willy105 said:
Super Mario Galaxy 1's story is almost creepily deep, having to do with consequences on environments by pollution, sacrifice, and searching for your lost loved ones.

It was all optional, but if you explore the story, the ending actually makes sense.

What? I don't remember that, and I think I saw all of the storybook scenes.

ryan-ts

The story in Galaxy blew me away. It made my life worth living. It's too bad the gameplay sucked or I would have gone through this game a million times.

[Nintex]

Willy105 said:

Put down the weed man.

Willy105 said:

You serious?

Willy105 said:

I guarantee you that you put more thought into galaxy's story in this single post than anyone working on the game did during the entire development cycle.

[Nintex]

autobzooty said:
I guarantee you that you put more thought into galaxy's story in this single post than anyone working on the game did during the entire development cycle.
Somewhere out there Koizumi sheds a tear.

Now I wonder about the 'deeper' story for Sonic, can you elaborate on that Willy?

ryan-ts said:
The story in Galaxy blew me away. It made my life worth living. It's too bad the gameplay sucked or I would have gone through this game a million times.
This post confuses me in a bunch of ways and I'm one of the people who really liked the story stuff in SMG.

zigg

KeeSomething said:
The linear nature of Galaxy turned down the replay value by a lot. Linear level design is fine in 2D games when you can blast through the levels, find shortcuts and secrets, and speedrun after you master the level's design and timing, but Galaxy prevents that. The levels are too chopped up and divided, so you pretty much forced to play them the same way and at the same speed everytime. You can experiment with the gravity effects here and there, but going back to old levels seems... boring.

For 3D, I think bigger, more open worlds that aren't chopped up are for the best. I mean, I still go back to Super Mario 64 all the time since that game is more open, so you have more oppertunities for shortcuts, speeding through obstacles, and just running around to explore.
You and I want different things, it seems. Galaxy's change in design (though it wasn't as wholesale as I thought was needed—purple coin hunts in particular irritated me to no end my first time through) was a sweet antidote to the poison of retreading the same ground over and again looking for goals that were sometimes in seemingly ridiculous places, fighting the camera along the way. 64 in particular annoyed me to no end with this... that and its apparent fear of letting the player actually die.

When I finally 100% finished 64, I didn't want to go back at all. Galaxy, I wanted to right away, and did—I had 242 stars shortly afterward. I've replayed all Mario's content three times and Luigi's two. I've picked up 64 a little on and off—both DS and 64 versions—and I've always just petered out. I've never finished Sunshine 100%; blue coins killed the one time I intended to. The lack of focus, the need to wander around looking for things, it all just saps the fun for me.

I'd like to add that I'm not just robotically playing Mario-on-rails every time I replay Galaxy, either. I'm constantly back-flipping and long-jumping from spot to spot when there's a perfectly serviceable pedestrian "walk this path" option on the beaten path. I may not have the option of leaping off one structure to shortcut a number of things in a wholly unintended-by-the-designers fashion, but I feel like that's more an inevitability as game design gets better and has less unintended consequences anyway. Yeah, I'm still doing this segment, then the next... but I don't feel constrained by it.

Basically, I'm entirely happy with this direction, and would be less happy if we reverted back to the things I liked less.

KeeSomething said:
With all that said, it seemed like Galaxy 2 is closer to the 2D games because faster paced less divided.
I'm not really sure how you come to that judgment. Do you know something about G2 I don't? (Serious question, no sarcasm implied.)

Mario Galaxy 1 had an intro of "Peach gets kidnapped" and a really fucking weird 2001: A Space Odyssey ending that Mario Galaxy 2 seems to ignore entirely.

But there was this side story you could read by going to this one area on the hub, unlocking new chapters by getting more stars. It was kinda sad but sweet and touched on a couple of things that seemed kinda heavy for a Mario game, but it was essentially backstory for a certain character and there was never any need to know about it.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Willy105 said:

PLEASE tell us more.

Doorman

EmCeeGramr said:
Mario Galaxy 1 had an intro of "Peach gets kidnapped" and a really fucking weird 2001: A Space Odyssey ending that Mario Galaxy 2 seems to ignore entirely.

But there was this side story you could read by going to this one area on the hub, unlocking new chapters by getting more stars. It was kinda sad but sweet and touched on a couple of things that seemed kinda heavy for a Mario game, but it was essentially backstory for a certain character and there was never any need to know about it.
I'm kind of disappointed that we apparently won't even get the optional story bits this time around. I mean, I know that story and deep characterization isn't what Mario is made for, but anything that adds some context to their world and produces interest in new characters is welcome by me. And since it's optional, it's not like including stuff like that really hurts anybody. If you just want to run around and collect starts, players are perfectly welcome to do so.

The fact that it seems to be boiling down to the lowest common denominator actually annoys me a little in that regard.

AniHawk

I always considered the lowest common denominator meant catering to the ones that felt like they had to have a story in every video game, even platformers.

AniHawk said:
I always considered the lowest common denominator meant catering to the ones that felt like they had to have a story in every video game, even platformers.

Next thing you know, they'll complain that we don't have 20 hours worth of cutscenes in Tetris.

Story is only needed when a game can't keep you motivated by gameplay alone (which is why we have RPGs).

NeonZ

zigg said:
You and I want different things, it seems. Galaxy's change in design (though it wasn't as wholesale as I thought was needed—purple coin hunts in particular irritated me to no end my first time through) was a sweet antidote to the poison of retreading the same ground over and again looking for goals that were sometimes in seemingly ridiculous places, fighting the camera along the way. (...)

Basically, I'm entirely happy with this direction, and would be less happy if we reverted back to the things I liked less.

I agree completely with that. I always thought that Mario 64's design choices came more from a limitation of 3d design (making 3d levels took longer than 2d ones, so they had to reuse the same areas) rather than a significant design evolution.

Apparently, some people actually enjoy that kind of design... but I'd be happier to never see it again in a Mario game.

AceBandage said:
Story is only needed when a game can't keep you motivated by gameplay alone (which is why we have RPGs).

don't you love both no more heroes games, and frequently post in the xenoblade and last story threads

EmCeeGramr said:
don't you love both no more heroes games, and frequently post in the xenoblade and last story threads

Yes, and I never said I didn't like them.
But I certainly don't play those games for the in depth gameplay.
:p

EmCeeGramr said:

I think the ending of SMG1 ties into SMG2, in a way.

The Star Festival is being held again because the universe was destroyed, and now we're at the point where SMG1 started was. SMG1 was eliminated from history - now this is the star festival, again.

Doorman

AniHawk said:
You make it sound like it's fundamentally wrong with having a bit of backstory within platformers, as though lack of story is some sort of requirement of the genre. Was the trippy ending cutscene and completely optional storybook really so overwhelming in Galaxy 1 that it took away from the rest of the experience? I'm not asking for Mario to turn into Final Fantasy or anything, hell no, but they dangled those carrots in the first game and instead of subtly building on that to the people who enjoyed it, I can't help but feel like they ripped that aspect of the game away just so the people who didn't want it don't accidentally stumble upon it.

AniHawk

EmCeeGramr said:
No.

EDIT: Oh wait I saw "both" in the wrong place.

Doorman said:
You make it sound like it's fundamentally wrong with having a bit of backstory within platformers, as though lack of story is some sort of requirement of the genre.

Well that is what I believe.

Was the trippy ending cutscene and completely optional storybook really so overwhelming in Galaxy 1 that it took away from the rest of the experience?

No, but it is one of the game's negatives.

Skiesofwonder

The place to GO for NINTENDO news just posted new details from the ONM review (small story spoilers below):

website that can't be mentioned said:
These details come from the Official Nintendo Magazine review. Some subscribers in the UK are receiving their issues already.

- Galaxy 2 takes place in an alternate reality where Mario and the Lumas never met
- the big Luma owns Spaceship Mario, which was transformed into its shape from a simple planet
- the big Luma is known as 'Lubba'
- Lubba needs power starts to fuel the ship, which Bowser has stolen...alongside Peach
- What does Lubba say when he transforms the planet into Spaceship Mario? "Nice spaceship, huh? More like a FACEship!"
- 40+ galaxies
- the tree slide that appears in some trailers is a star available in TreeTrunk Galaxy
- Expect more Yoshi action than was had in New Super Mario Bros. Wii
- Spring Mario only makes 2 appearances
- Luigi becomes playable in some fashion once you reach 20 stars
- Another playable character is hinted at for when you reach 120
- A monkey known as "The Chimp" let's you play minigames
- good amount of 2d portions
- expect many throwbacks to classic Mario games once you hit the later stages
- Bowser stages are similar to those in Super Mario 64

More details here.

Another playable character confirmed?!?!?

Edit: ONM gave SMG2 a 97.

Skiesofwonder said:
The place to GO for NINTENDO news just posted new details from the ONM review (small story spoilers below):

More details here.

Another playable character confirmed?!?!?

Edit: ONM gave SMG2 a 97.

I already told you, it's Travis Touchdown.

Skiesofwonder

Someone at the brawlinthefamily boards brought up an interesting point. What if they replace BOTH Mario and Luigi at the 120 star point? It makes a lot of sense to me.

Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong

Wario and Waluigi

or maybe........ nah. :lol

Skiesofwonder said:
Someone at the brawlinthefamily boards brought up an interesting point. What if they replace BOTH Mario and Luigi at the 120 star point? It makes a lot of sense to me.

Wario and Waluigi

Shadow and Blaze!

nincompoop said:
So you would've rather the NPC version controlled by shaking the Wii remote to move right and shaking the nunchuk to move left? It doesn't matter how the game was designed, an awkward gimmicky control scheme is an awkward gimmicky control scheme.

Hm? I could have sworn that he had said that the bongos worked best with DKJB because the game was built around using them. In fact, your little "so you're saying..." actually sounds like you're setting it up as him basically declaring it a novelty, as opposed to him saying it's not.

Being a gimmick =/= being bad. Guitars = gimmick, and at no point would any rational human being say that playing GH was more satisfying with a gamepad than a guitar.

Doorman

Skiesofwonder said:
I raised the same question earlier, positing a Peach and Rosalina mode. If they give a new character at the 120 mark but you can already use Luigi for part of that 120, then there has to be something else in play for that "second run-through" to reach 240.

AniHawk said:
Well that is what I believe.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, then.

I'm officially on media blackout from meow on.
Haven't seen much at all on this game and would like to keep it that way.

Have fun girlies and gents.

Costanza

Banned
Willy105 said:

mSnTj.gif

- Spring Mario only makes 2 appearances
Thank God. I hated that guy.

SkiesofWonder said:

Wario and Waluigi

Sonic and Tails. There, I said it for you.

A Link to the Snitch said:
Hm? I could have sworn that he had said that the bongos worked best with DKJB because the game was built around using them. In fact, your little "so you're saying..." actually sounds like you're setting it up as him basically declaring it a novelty, as opposed to him saying it's not.

Being a gimmick =/= being bad. Guitars = gimmick, and at no point would any rational human being say that playing GH was more satisfying with a gamepad than a guitar.
The point I was making is that Nintendo could have recreated the bongo control scheme 100% faithfully for the NPC version by having you shake the remote and nunchuk to move. Only they chose not to do that because it would have been terrible. Just like moving by hitting a drum was terrible.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Willy105 said:

Willy, you're starting to remind me of HUELEN.

pakkit

Banned
nincompoop said:
The point I was making is that Nintendo could have recreated the bongo control scheme 100% faithfully for the NPC version by having you shake the remote and nunchuk to move. Only they chose not to do that because it would have been terrible. Just like moving by hitting a drum was terrible.
No.

nincompoop said:

Or because swinging wands and slapping drums are two very different movements that feel differently.

Speevy

Banned
nincompoop said:

But it wasn't. And most people agree that it wasn't. And DKJB is highly regarded.

And...wait for it, the team's proven talent is the reason they're now in charge of the Mario franchise.

EmCeeGramr said:
Or because swinging wands and slapping drums are two very different movements that feel differently.
I'm sorry, I just don't see the huge disconnect between moving your hands up and down to tap a drum and moving them up and down to simulate hitting a drum with drumsticks.

Top Bottom