• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

You're right I'm shit, but at the same time I don't think survival mechanics were suddenly introduced and decided upon literally just last week, which is what you seem to be implying / working in to your narrative.

I'm sure you'll be able to find previous mentions to prove me wrong.

Considering that each role specific ship is scheduled to be playable in the alpha at the same time the role is introduced, it is a disingenuous idea to put forth

Not true, there are plenty of ships in the game who should be able to mine or carry cargo or explore, but can't, the Starfarer can't refuel even though that's it's specialty.

It's basically only combat and racing at this point.

Pomerlaw

What logic is this supposed to even be?

"They have oceans on planets, didn't this imply underwater combat, submersibles and trade with the mer-people of Spacelantis?"

Er, no. Development and project management is a bit more nailed down than that.

I agree. There is much difference between day and night graphics & the gameplay that comes along with it. Just look at Elite.

The devs seems to always say yes to everything they are asked by fans, I wonder how they will balance all that. The flight model isn't balanced yet.

Don't get me wrong though I hope this game makes it.

iHaunter

I agree. There is much difference between day and night graphics & the gameplay that comes along with it. Just look at Elite.

The devs seems to always say yes to everything they are asked by fans, I wonder how they will balance all that. The flight model isn't balanced yet.

Don't get me wrong though I hope this game makes it.

Aren't Frontier devs trying to do what SC is doing with the whole first person thing?

Last I heard. Only reason I haven't played ED is because their forums are filled to the brim with random SC hate and misinformation and the mods don't stop it.

In fact they do the *takes mod hat off* BS and dole into the trolling themselves. Sad place. You'll never see that shit on the SC forums really...

Aren't Frontier devs trying to do what SC is doing with the whole first person thing?

Last I heard. Only reason I haven't played ED is because their forums are filled to the brim with random SC hate and misinformation and the mods don't stop it.

In fact they do the *takes mod hat off* BS and dole into the trolling themselves. Sad place. You'll never see that shit on the SC forums really...

FD has promised/planned FPS movement and gameplay since the Kickstarter.

I wouldn't let official forums sway you from trying a game. Both ED and SC's official forums tend to be cesspools. Both sub-reddits are generally much better and more balanced/fair in regards to each other.

So within the last week they've all of a sudden decided to add survival mechanics? Having planets and animals, plantlife, day/night cycles ect. didn't imply this was already part of the design? Keep trying to look for flaws, you're great at it.

Chris talked about it as far back 10 For the Chairman - Episode 46 (11-24-2014) In the answer to the question

"Will beds still have a functional purpose in the PU? What about toilets and showers? Will they be used for anything more than an interactive decoration in the ship or will they provide a specific benefit for gameplay?"

We've talked about beds being used as sort of a save-point in space, if there aren't enemies around that'll be where you can leave and come back to rather than having to land each time. Toilets and showers we've been talking about, but I think of it as a bit of a light-weight way to make these things all make sense, in terms of relevance, so you'll probably need to sleep eventually, after too long you might perform worse 'cause you're tired, or you need to eat occasionally, or if you don't shower for a while some NPCs won't want to talk to you 'cause you smell, etc etc. I'm not saying we go to the level of full-life simulation, but it'd be fun to have these things have a small effect on how you're perceived or how you exist in the universe. Our goal is to make SC as much as real universe as possible, a lot more than just about dog-fighting and cargo hauling, I want you to sight-see, fly around and see all the cool stuff there is in the universe, like maybe a restaurant on terra inside the big sky-sphere, like eating at the top of the empire state building, it might be a tough reservation to get, the food would be all a bit decorative, like drinking the drink from the flare cabinet. It might be a collection thing, like I might get a signed menu from the chef at that restaurant that I can put back in my hanger as a collectable/mementos. There's a level of stuff around the universe that I want to have that's more about fleshing out the universe, to give a sense of "world". So in answer to the question, I think those things would be a lightweight way to make the universe more real, so if you don't eat now and then you might get blurry vision or something, not sure we'll go that far, but we're trying to make these things have more meaning than just the decorative.

He as actually talked about it more but it is a waste of time to go through everything because if people really cared about the game instead of pushing a narrative they could look up the information themselves. Again, things discussed over 2 years ago, treated as new, to push narrative as increased scope.

Interesting thing is also the talk about funding, scope and expectation in the same episode.

Akronis

FD has promised/planned FPS movement and gameplay since the Kickstarter.

I wouldn't let official forums sway you from trying a game. Both ED and SC's official forums tend to be cesspools. Both sub-reddits are generally much better and more balanced/fair in regards to each other.

Fucking this 1000x 100%.

Official forums attract the absolute worst fanboys.

Both SC and ED subreddits can be rough sometimes, but they aren't insane like official forum posters are.

Fucking this 1000x 100%.

Official forums attract the absolute worst fanboys.

Both SC and ED subreddits can be rough sometimes, but they aren't insane like official forum posters are.

Same reason people still shit on consoles and people shit on PC. Because everyone loves to feel like they made the better decision.

I don't get it :(

The thing is both founders supported each other.

maxresdefault.jpg

Star Citizen official post:

Congratulations, Elite Dangerous!

But yes, people seem to get some sort of enjoyment out of disparaging on game in favor of another. I find it like some sort of dogma in which people make themselves feel better by choosing or creating a "side" and then defending it. Like sports or religion, some cannot get enjoyment unless they find themselves better than the other side.

EDIT: Like I implied before it is not only in reference to games and they are studies about this behavior

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_(person)#Fan_psychology_and_motives
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_loyalty

SnowTeeth

Banned
Chris talked about it as far back 10 For the Chairman - Episode 46 (11-24-2014) In the answer to the question

"Will beds still have a functional purpose in the PU? What about toilets and showers? Will they be used for anything more than an interactive decoration in the ship or will they provide a specific benefit for gameplay?"

We've talked about beds being used as sort of a save-point in space, if there aren't enemies around that'll be where you can leave and come back to rather than having to land each time. Toilets and showers we've been talking about, but I think of it as a bit of a light-weight way to make these things all make sense, in terms of relevance, so you'll probably need to sleep eventually, after too long you might perform worse 'cause you're tired, or you need to eat occasionally, or if you don't shower for a while some NPCs won't want to talk to you 'cause you smell, etc etc. I'm not saying we go to the level of full-life simulation, but it'd be fun to have these things have a small effect on how you're perceived or how you exist in the universe. Our goal is to make SC as much as real universe as possible, a lot more than just about dog-fighting and cargo hauling, I want you to sight-see, fly around and see all the cool stuff there is in the universe, like maybe a restaurant on terra inside the big sky-sphere, like eating at the top of the empire state building, it might be a tough reservation to get, the food would be all a bit decorative, like drinking the drink from the flare cabinet. It might be a collection thing, like I might get a signed menu from the chef at that restaurant that I can put back in my hanger as a collectable/mementos. There's a level of stuff around the universe that I want to have that's more about fleshing out the universe, to give a sense of "world". So in answer to the question, I think those things would be a lightweight way to make the universe more real, so if you don't eat now and then you might get blurry vision or something, not sure we'll go that far, but we're trying to make these things have more meaning than just the decorative.

He as actually talked about it more but it is a waste of time to go through everything because if people really cared about the game instead of pushing a narrative they could look up the information themselves. Again, things discussed over 2 years ago, treated as new, to push narrative as increased scope.

Interesting thing is also the talk about funding, scope and expectation in the same episode.

Thanks for doing some legwork and help clarify my...flawed logic. I have been watching AtV and WH from the beginning and I have vague memories of random bits of information such as this, but like hell I'm going to sift through hundreds of episodes to find a specific bit of info just to prove a bonafide hater wrong. Cheers.

I don't get why people can't like both? Lol

I love all the space games. Gimme gimme gimme! (am I a bad person for owning Line of Defense?)

iHaunter

Thanks for doing some legwork and help clarify my...flawed logic. I have been watching AtV and WH from the beginning and I have vague memories of random bits of information such as this, but like hell I'm going to sift through hundreds of episodes to find a specific bit of info just to prove a bonafide hater wrong. Cheers.

I love all the space games. Gimme gimme gimme! (am I a bad person for owning Line of Defense?)

Yes, yes you are.

Because LOD is not a space game (Somewhere in the darkest depths of Florida, Mr. Smart is triggered).

:D

iHaunter

That may be because I submitted a few crash reports I dunno. Unlike Smart and other professional hate-mongers, I actually don't pine for someone else's game to fail.

I wouldn't say I pine for it, I just don't believe he's competent or skilled enough in his craft to be a game developer.

If BC3K taught us anything is that even with a proper studio like TakeTwo, with him at the helm no game can ever be made, somehow.

SnowTeeth

Banned
I wouldn't say I pine for it, I just don't believe he's competent or skilled enough in his craft to be a game developer.

If BC3K taught us anything is that even with a proper studio like TakeTwo, with him at the helm no game can ever be made, somehow.

Agreed. History proves it.

His staggering hubris blinds him to the reality of the situation. Good ideas don't matter if they don't translate into fun.

He is the king of jank. And lies.

(Somewhere in FL someone is highly triggered)

iHaunter

That's... a lot of fed up looking people, hah.
Can't say my workplace is much different first thing on a morning though!

They're looking at their notes it looks like.

Seem to be working hard, I imagine 85% of the companies resources going to SQ42. A lot of it for assets since it's already confirmed to be white-boxed.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Maybe he just got back from a morning workout. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt, guys.

he has no pants; no wonder employees allegedly dislike the working conditions

iHaunter

Really hope tomorrows ATV is a bit more...insightful than the previous ones.

Though I did really like the one about Alien Language.

Really hope tomorrows ATV is a bit more...insightful than the previous ones.

Though I did really like the one about Alien Language.

you dont want to know more about Arena Commander?

Yeah... pirate swarm is a bit uninteresting in comparison to all the other things that have happened in the last 2 years. Not sure why they decided to focus on it for an AtV episode.
We shall see what they talk about today!

Yeah... pirate swarm is a bit uninteresting in comparison to all the other things that have happened in the last 2 years. Not sure why they decided to focus on it for an AtV episode.
We shall see what they talk about today!

seems like todays episode is AI with nothing to show at how far they might have progressed. it feels like update 3.0 is a lot further our than i thought it would be.

iHaunter

seems like todays episode is AI with nothing to show at how far they might have progressed. it feels like update 3.0 is a lot further our than i thought it would be.

Eh, they're probably going to show 3.0 stuff when it's a bit closer to release.

AI is VERY important for 3.0 and SQ42.

iHaunter

New Outpost Images.

Taken from Reddit.

Looks more and more like they might have basic base building. Which would be a cool idea considering a lot of planets are enormous and need to be filled more. Why not Organizations building shit on certain parts of the planets? :D

Though hopefully AFTER release, unless they can spare the dev time.

ZtiOTPH.png

QaPuHBK.png

nrIo0yf.png

tuxfool

Banned
Looks more and more like they might have basic base building.

Eh. That is only so they can quickly assemble outposts. Base building seems like a stretch. They talked about this before, they mentioned that space stations and bases will be composed of prefabricated legos.

iHaunter

Eh. That is only so they can quickly assemble outposts. Base building seems like a stretch. They talked about this before, they mentioned that space stations and bases will be composed of prefabricated legos.

Which is fine, I'd really prefer these kinds of things to be released AFTER launch, if you catch my drift.

Outrun

I just need some clarification.

A player should be able to move from fps to ship Combat seamlessly?

So all the goings on inside a ship occur in synch with the movement of the ship across space?

So the scenario, where a gunfight is occurring inside a ship can occur while the pilot of the ship is entering a planet?

Galava

So all the goings on inside a ship occur in synch with the movement of the ship across space?

So the scenario, where a gunfight is occurring inside a ship can occur while the pilot of the ship is entering a planet?

They act as independent """""instances""""" existing in the same map. Everything inside a ship carries all the momentum of the ship itself.

Yes, you can have a gunfight inside while the ship is entering an atmosphere or while the ship is in a space fight, or quantum jumping, or going through wormholes...

iHaunter

That is correct, the ship counts as its own instance so everything happening will be independent from the outside while simultaneously being sync'd, correct.

Outrun

They act as independent """""instances""""" existing in the same map. Everything inside a ship carries all the momentum of the ship itself.

Yes, you can have a gunfight inside while the ship is entering an atmosphere or while the ship is in a space fight, or quantum jumping, or going through wormholes...

That is correct, the ship counts as its own instance so everything happening will be independent from the outside while simultaneously being sync'd, correct.

If they can pull it off, it will be glorious.

Ganyc

Looks more and more like they might have basic base building.

well, Chris Roberts already confirmed that there will be base building a few weeks ago (in the gamestar preview/interview from this month).

with this system it will be possible to build outposts, factories, bases etc. and the farming mechanics are a part of it too

yes, you can already do all that in the alpha

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
TotalBiscuit weighs in on the comparisons to NMS: https://youtu.be/NPKGXilvxUU?t=2h2m1s
(source)

(reddit summary) said:
- lots of cynicism surrounding Starcitizen because of all its hype, but the comparisons to No Mans Sky are bullshit
- No Mans Sky hid everything before launch and lied about a bunch of shit.
- Starcitizen is the most transparent development i have ever seen of anything.
- You can go play the game right now and understand the current state of the game, you get weekly videos, streams, daily blogs and emails.
- There has been no game in history that's been as transparent about where they are going with, than Starcitzen has been.
- You can play it, they show it all the time and they are completely open with the process.
- It may come out and be a bad game, and it may not have been the smartest idea for people to throw thousands of dollars at it but its their money.
- I refuse to allow it be compared to No Mans Sky, its development is the polar opposite. Its a stupid comparison.
- We know exactly what Starcitizen is at this very moment.

iHaunter

If they can pull it off, it will be glorious.

You can already do that though.

The next big patch is going from Space to Planets (at any angle) which is why a lot of people (including myself unfortunately) are a bit impatient.

The next patch will more or less set the stage of what's possible in this game. If they can pull it off that's it, other than content, it can be done.

TotalBiscuit weighs in on the comparisons to NMS: https://youtu.be/NPKGXilvxUU?t=2h2m1s
(source)

He's right, you know what you're going to get. Only thing that's a secret is SQ42 for spoiler reasons, which is fine.

WillyFive

I bought this game to play with joysticks, but it's obvious this was made for keyboard and mice first and foremost; it always feels like I'm controlling a mouse cursor when flying instead of controlling a ship. Going from Star Citizen to X-Wing or Flight Simulator is a mountain of difference. Really disappointing.

iHaunter

I bought this game to play with joysticks, but it's obvious this was made for keyboard and mice first and foremost; it always feels like I'm controlling a mouse cursor when flying instead of controlling a ship. Going from Star Citizen to X-Wing or Flight Simulator is a mountain of difference. Really disappointing.

Eh, that's polish stuff, it'll be worked out.

They're focusing on development atm.

Eh, that's polish stuff, it'll be worked out.

They're focusing on development atm.

That's core gameplay. That is something they need to actively work on and not in bi-annual fashion. #1 way players are going to interact with the game and with other players is in flight. It is still bad, and the biggest area of concern.

Top Bottom