• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge w/ Phil Spencer: "PS4 Pro is a Xbox One S competitor, not true 4K system."

Ason

Microsoft's PR site says they will put the 4K label on games that meet the following criteria:
4kv1u1b.jpg

https://news.xbox.com/2017/06/11/new-packaging-icons-xbox/

To be fair imo MS need to use the same "rules" to put their "Enhanced"-sticker on a game, as Sony does with their Pro Enhanced label.

Its up to the developer to use the extra power that PS4 Pro and X1X provides, if a developer chooses to use checkerboard for their multiplat game, and Sony slap a 'Pro Enhanced'-sticker on the PS4 case, Im sure MS wanna be able to do the same.

Common sense.

The marketing / messaging strategy will work on many people that aren't technical, looking to finally get a new console but are undecided. I feel sorry for those people, because the PS4 library is leagues ahead of the One's, but hey, at least they'll have some rocking-ass graphics.

Casual will buy PS4+XB1S for the price of XB1X.

sibarraz

Banned
Shouldn't be better to compare it with the pro? saying that their 4k is better?

Otherwise, making it compete the S with the pro make it sound like the Standard HD console is just a niche

The interview wasn't bad and I hope we actually see these games he is talking about....but that Pro line was tacky. But it doesn't matter really so whatevs....hopefully the XOX puts this into perspective per his words

Balfour

No. The XBX is competing with all consoles. It's niche console boasting the same thing as pro. It just has more power and can do more games at native more consistently.

TheEndOfItAll

Neo Member
Why y'all let this kind of stuff get to you so much? Lol the man is trying to sell his brand. Being humble is what you do when you're leading not losing.

I think some feel personally lied to. We can all read the specs and many of us have already played a PS4 Pro or at least seen games on the Pro. Spencer is acting like the Pro hasn't been released yet and that it's all hype. It's quite clear how much the Pro improved some games over PS4 OG.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
“I do think we have an opportunity to get better in first-party and to grow,” says Spencer. “We've got great support from the company to go do that.”

There were a lot of people adamant that we should give Phil time to build a solid first party foundation. If you take this quote on face value they haven't even started yet.

Nor will they ever.

Fergie

Banned
I'm trying to say that Gaf has an EXTREMELY short memory and wants what they can't have until the next thing comes along to hate. People shit on Sony for being unfriendly to consumers and not having backwards compatibility. MS does it and they act like no one uses or wants it. Sony brings out the Pro and everyone complains about it and their 4K solution. MS brings what they Gaf originally wanted, then they complain again. A few years back they complained about how MS had abandoned indie gamers and MS focuses on them since they have a lack of AAA studios and they say it's the worst conference "ever"

It's really the only explanation for all of this to me. PS4 Pro has been a great system for me but I really do want more. Not being able to play MLB The Show 17 in true 4K at a smooth frame rate has shown that to me for sure. I'll buy the Xbox X under the assumption that I did with the Pro. I will play my multi platforms on whatever system offers the best overall experience.
GAF isn't a total hive-mind so anyone that uses arguments like GAF is this or that is just nonsense. It's just lazy whining with no examples or evidence.

Also SonyGAF or XboxGAF is again tired nonsense.

Console warrior stuff is utter banality.

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
Oh, man. With all the very questionable shade he's been throwing at the PS4 lately, it definitely feels like he has a whole lot of confidence in the XOX - which I can't really fault him for but... lol what is going on, Phil!

There were a lot of people adamant that we should give Phil time to build a solid first party foundation. If you take this quote on face value they haven't even started yet.

Nor will they ever.
Xbox team will never have a solid first party because they focus on second party deals with Independent dev teams.

Microsoft Studios hasn't really been a thing since like the original Xbox when they were publishing games left and right for the OGXB.

It's become even more evident with them contracting their first party studios down. Outside of The Coalition, 343, and Turn 10 all their other exclusive games will be done through contracting.

That is nonsense, especially considering the mandate of no XBX exclusives, so no games being built to require the power a XBX.

Neither has games built to require the extra power they have and both share that they literally just run XB1/PS4 games at a higher resolution and more stable framerate (or a higher framerate that's also unstable).

AzerPhire

You guys understand that MS can't force developers to make their games run at native 4k right?

I am sure all first party MS games will be native 4k but beyond that it will be a mix of checkerboard, dynamic scaling and native all depending on the skill of the developers.

Kayant

Nor will they ever.
Yikes! Good catch next E3 will truly be interesting.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
You guys understand that MS can't force developers to make their games run at native 4k right?

I am sure all first party MS games will be native 4k but beyond that it will be a mix of checkerboard, dynamic scaling and native all depending on the skill of the developers.
I used to think this before, but not now after that E3 showcase.
I wouldn't expect ALL their first party game to hit native 4K.

And yet most impressive games were on ps4(pro). Get some good developers phil ...

I'm day one for Xbox X I love tech. But I don't think anybody will see much differences.
1st party PS4 will be better looking as devs are better.
3rd party will be 1800-2160 cb vs native 4k
I honestly don't see any difference.
Wipeout looks the same. Games like Titanfall or horizon are crystal clear and looks native. 99,9% of people won't see anything. And I'm playing on a 65" oled very close from the tv.

This is the honest truth. I've been saying this forever.

A huge bang? They had a good conference with a lot of different games, what bang are you looking for?

What I mean is that they didn't have an exclusive worth buying an Xbox for. I have an Xbox and the conference bored me. It's just my opinion but I thought this was going to be the year for Xbox with a great exclusive on the console. Anthem is not exclusive and that was probably the best thing shown. I kind of wanted to see a big JRPG on the Xbox but that didn't happen.

Funny to think about the reaction here if the situations were reversed, and it was Sony with a new "true 4k" console saying this about an Xbox "kinda 4k" console. Might be a tad different lol.

Man, this is such a dumb comment. I suppose the Xbox one wasn't a competitor to the PS4 then. Whether or not the console consistently hits native 4k is a dumb, arbitrary distinction to make. If anything, they won't compete because the X is $100 more expensive.

XBX is more powerful than PS4P, and there is no debating that, or downplaying it.

XBX>>PS4P>XBOS

We dont need people to argue about this.

Balfour

Don't be hating on the Microsoft conference when Sony just had next year's games. Well I guess that's because MS already announced all the multi platforms for them but still. Both were lame. Don't act like the other conferences were better

And yet most impressive games were on ps4(pro). Get some good developers phil ...

I'm day one for Xbox X I love tech. But I don't think anybody will see much differences.
1st party PS4 will be better looking as devs are better.
3rd party will be 1800-2160 cb vs native 4k
I honestly don't see any difference.
Wipeout looks the same. Games like Titanfall or horizon are crystal clear and looks native. 99,9% of people won't see anything. And I'm playing on a 65" oled very close from the tv.

Tea.

So a PS4P that has almost 400% more GPU power than an XB1S (more if accounting for bandwidth, fillrate, etc), can't compete with the XBX that has 40% more flops.

Alright Phil lol

Ason

I used to think this before, but not now after that E3 showcase.
I wouldn't expect ALL their first party game to hit native 4K.

You used to belive all MS first party games will be native 4K on Xbox One X, watched the E3 conference, and changed your mind.

Im not saying you are wrong, but may I ask, what specifically in this years E3 conference made you change your mind?

GAF isn't a total hive-mind so anyone that uses arguments like GAF is this or that is just nonsense. It's just lazy whining with no examples or evidence.

Also SonyGAF or XboxGAF is again tired nonsense.

Console warrior stuff is utter banality.

I am not, in no way shape or form, a "console warrior". I'm not going to spend hours on here searching for posts for something that we all know it happens, is happening, and will happen again.

Top Bottom