• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man E3 2017 Gameplay - PS4 - 2018

Spinluck

Only caught the end of the Spidey interview. Did I miss anything good?

- Pretty big open world

- Spidey can traverse very quickly off the bat, but skilled players will be able to traverse even faster

- the demo only scratched the very surface of the story
- story is "massive"
- there will be some obscure Spidey characters along with some familiar ones

- To avoid repetition when performing some of the same tasks, Spidey will have a ton of quips

-The team is straight up infatuated with the privilege of working on a game featuring their favorite hero

jayu26

The writer said exactly what I have been thinking since yesterday. It is video game, you can't have Spiderman saying one liner after every take-down or they will start repeating and become annoying very quickly.

H7SUeGJ.gif

- Pretty big open world

- Spidey can traverse very quickly off the bat, but skilled players will be able to traverse even faster

- the demo only scratched the very surface of the story
- story is "massive"
- there will be some obscure Spidey characters along with some familiar ones

- To avoid repetition when performing some of the same tasks, Spidey will have a ton of quips

-The team is straight up infatuated with the privilege of working on a game featuring their favorite hero
Thanks!

I'm still blown away by what they showed. How I did not realize an Insomniac developed Spidey game was needed in my life stuns me. It's like a dream come true. If anyone from Insomniac is reading this, I love you guys and girls. I just know this is gonna kick ass.

Spinluck

Prof Beef, I know this is beating a dead horse and you reiterated this a bunch of times. But why the disdain towards open world games? I know it can potentially go a bit off topic, but since this game is said to have a large playable setting, I think it somewhat applies.

I generally don't prefer open world, but I won't say no to a AAA Spider-Man open world.

HE'S A GROWN ASS MAN

RyanW

The one thing that made me fall in love with the Arkham games, especially City and Knight was the stuff you could do outside of the story. The variety in side missions with the villains, the mini games with flying and the batmobile, and the riddles and puzzles with a lot of the Riddler. Really hope Insomniac delivers something in that area.

Prof Beef, I know this is beating a dead horse and you reiterated this a bunch of times. But why the disdain towards open world games? I know it can potentially go a bit off topic, but since this game is said to have a large playable setting, I think it somewhat applies.

I'm generally don't prefer open world, but I won't say no to a AAA Spider-Man open world.

HE'S A GROWN ASS MAN
I didn't say I was passing on the game, fwiw

I'm just sick of open world games because the majority of them are boring. Gimme a linear obstacle course over a barren sandbox any day of the week.

I'm just sick of open world games because the majority of them are boring. Gimme a linear obstacle course over a barren sandbox any day of the week.

I'm with you on this most of the time, but when it comes to Spider-Man, it has to be open world. Also looks as though the story missions are right up your alley if this demo is any indication of the rest of the missions.

Spinluck

I'm right there with you for the most part.

Hopefully they make this world fun to explore and traverse.

I think I'll enjoy swinging from skyscraper to skyscraper more than riding a horse, running, driving a car, or riding a boat.

We'll see, but I hope it can be interesting.

I at least had some fun in Infamous SS. I don't expect the level design of a tightly knitted course. But just a fun way of getting around and doing stuff.

timberger

Visually, this game looked so good I'm actually a little suspicious tbh. I know Insomniac can make nice looking games, but something this good that's also open world?

Hmmmm...

Visually, this game looked so good I'm actually a little suspicious tbh. I know Insomniac can make nice looking games, but something this good that's also open world?

Hmmmm...

Horizon Zero Dawn says hello.

--

I only just got chance to watch Sony's conference today but I loved what they showed. Spidey's movement is fantastic and the web swinging looks really satisfying. The only thing that turned me off was all the QTEs at the end, but I was blown away by everything else. A little disappointed it won't make this year but 2017 has been so packed with good games I need time to catch up.

I came here to post exactly this. The demo was incredibly disappointing. After all the talk Marvel did last year, about how much Insomniac gets the character and etc, the last thing I imagined this would be is exactly the same thing as Amazing Spider-Man but with much higher production values.

Same shitty mission structure, same stealth->arkham combat gameplay loop, same garbage jokes, same awful QTE-based setpieces, same style of people talking to you on a radio while you do your Spider-Man things in the open world. It's the same game, but with A LOT more money.

The UI reminded me of Watch Dogs, and the lighting reminded me of Assassin's Creed. It's Ubisoft's Spider-Man.

It's one mission in an open world game. People need to lighten up with the jumping to conclusions. UI like Watch Dogs and lighting like Assassin's Creed??!! Really reaching here. Wow.

100x better combat animation system than any Arkham game. He just flows so nicely from one move to another.
I think in some respects it makes much more sense for Spider-Man too. Seeing big bulky Batman flip around and fly all over the place in combat is a bit weird, but seeing Spider-Man do it is just natural.

gamerMan

Wow that was impressive. It basically renders the Xbox One X useless. Spiderman on PS4 looks better than anything on the $499 Xbox One.

Unfortunately, the game play is a lot like Dragon's lair. I can't believe how far graphics have advanced and yet developers are still relying on an archaic gamplay mechanic: the QuickTime Event. Pushing buttons mindlessly while a scripted set piece unfolds is not fun and 90% of this trailer was quicktime events. The gamplay needed to spend more time at the Daily Bugle before putting on the Spidey suit.

I feel this would have been better in another medium. It would be the perfect movie, but I think this type of game would work well in VR. Instead of pushing buttons to execute the commands, the controllers could be your hands like Batman VR. At least, it is really really pretty but it belongs in the movie theater not my ps4.

Lady Gaia

I really really hope there's Peter Parker gameplay

Exactly. That's my biggest concern as well. Non-stop action leads to feeling numb and misses out on meaningful engagement that creates incentive to succeed. It's the biggest failing of too many power fantasy titles.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Wow that was impressive. It basically renders the Xbox One X useless. Spiderman on PS4 looks better than anything on the $499 Xbox One.

Unfortunately, the game play is a lot like Dragon's lair. I can't believe how far graphics have advanced and yet developers are still relying on an archaic gamplay mechanic: the QuickTime Event. Pushing buttons mindlessly while a scripted set piece unfolds is not fun and 90% of this trailer was quicktime events. The gamplay needed to spend more time at the Daily Bugle before putting on the Spidey suit.

I feel this would have been better in another medium. It would be the perfect movie, but I think this type of game would work well in VR. Instead of pushing buttons to execute the commands, the controllers could be your hands like Batman VR. At least, it is really really pretty but it belongs in the movie theater not my ps4.
f3d7fe4b7934ce9677ef949cc2dc76d3.gif

Exactly. That's my biggest concern as well. Non-stop action leads to feeling numb and misses out on meaningful engagement that creates incentive to succeed. It's the biggest failing of too many power fantasy titles.
I think in the interview it was said that a big focus in the game is on Peter trying to balance his life. So I'm not really too worried about it to be honest.

duhmetree

I thought the combat looked fun.

I never thought I had the desire to play a Spider-Man game... Insomniac work looks phenomenal so far

Top Bottom