• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man E3 2017 Gameplay - PS4 - 2018

So Mr. Game Designer. Explain how you get those huge set pieces without QTE's? Even God Of War did it and nobody complained...

I'm not claiming to be a game designer. People have complained about how God of War used them, and I didn't particularly like God of War.

I don't know what the answer is. Ultimately, this game will probably be fine, because I trust Insomniac to make a compelling game. But my point is that the QTEs stood out in that sequence, and that's a problem.

crankyxt

http://wccftech.com/spider-man-swinging-physics-based/

"You can free roam in the city and webs attach to stuff.

That isn’t a QTE, he is web zipping to the sign right as it explodes which triggers that special animation/camera. The player doesn’t have to hit that at all.

For instance, if the water tower doesn’t explode he would’ve zipped to the top of it, but since it did it changed the animation so he lands and vaults off.
One user posted a GIF of Spider-Man moving through a building and Stevenson confirmed that despite the absence of a HUD, that is also player controlled. "

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Game looked great but I didn't like all the QTEs, hopefully the final game isn't riddled with them.

jayu26

http://wccftech.com/spider-man-swinging-physics-based/

"You can free roam in the city and webs attach to stuff.

That isn’t a QTE, he is web zipping to the sign right as it explodes which triggers that special animation/camera. The player doesn’t have to hit that at all.

For instance, if the water tower doesn’t explode he would’ve zipped to the top of it, but since it did it changed the animation so he lands and vaults off.
One user posted a GIF of Spider-Man moving through a building and Stevenson confirmed that despite the absence of a HUD, that is also player controlled. "
That's what I thought.

You guys remember when people thought swinging take down in Uncharted 4 PSX demo was scripted QET?

lumzi23

To be honest the first viewing was kind of underwhelming. Scrubbing through it a second time was better I guess but:

1. The controls were not what I was expecting. Too stiff.
2. Hope the final game isn't all one interactive movie. Too QTE filled.

I don't want to complain too much. We'll see how it goes as they release more videos on towards release.

Trey

for being a spiderman game, didn't look very free roaming or improvisational. it looked like every decision made was the one the game wanted you to make. there looks to be some potential for creativity in the combat, but we will see. i'll be keeping an eye on it going forward.

Grew up with it, so it was something implanted in my head. Even though I knew it wasn't going to be them, I automatically assumed so for some reason. Then when I didn't hear them I was like aww man... when it was nowhere that they would provide the voice, just something I told myself in a split second when hearing them.

It was incredible. The game looks amazing visually, the animations are tasty, good variety of moves and actions, traversal looks like it's from Spider-Man 2 playbook. I haven't been this pumped for a game in a long time.

c0Zm1c

Speed isn't the issue in Insomniac's game. Their swinging is sterile, by comparison. Very, very sterile. And I would venture a guess and say LESS physics based (the whole floating away from buildings thing because that's physics works?).

The pendulum DOES pick up speed in real physics at the bottom of the arc. Kicking your legs DOES increase that speed unless you've never been on a swing as a child or don't understand how momentum works.

The camera is flacid, through and through. There's no follow through on the arc and it stays almost 100% level the entire time making it look like swings and dips are just you moving straight through the environment. The camera should dip through the pendulum and rise at the top. The camera should lean into quick turns or turns, in general. Not stay 100% level while you hook 90 degree turns on a short web.

There's just so much left on the table no Spidey game has done yet and it baffles me how devs miss the little details in camera and pendulum style physics to really impressed upon the player a slight sense of vertigo and momentum. SM2s was over the top in speed, a bit TOO physics based (smacking walls left and right) and the camera was only half there, but it's still the best we have yet.

This free swinging is sterile. It lacks quite a bit compared to earlier releases. I am disappointed a bit, to be honest.

This doesn't sound promising. :(

This will be on E3 Coliseum, today at 4:30 PST. The interview will be 30 min long and says they will take a behind the scenes look. Just giving everyone a heads up if they want to see more.

ElyrionX

It looks really really good.

But why do Spidey's standard punches and kicks feel like they have no impact at all. It's pretty jarring and I can imagine it making the combat rather unsatisfying. Almost seems like Resistance where it feels like you're firing toy guns instead of actual weapons.

fallingdove

Speed isn't the issue in Insomniac's game. Their swinging is sterile, by comparison. Very, very sterile. And I would venture a guess and say LESS physics based (the whole floating away from buildings thing because that's physics works?).

The pendulum DOES pick up speed in real physics at the bottom of the arc. Kicking your legs DOES increase that speed unless you've never been on a swing as a child or don't understand how momentum works.

The camera is flacid, through and through. There's no follow through on the arc and it stays almost 100% level the entire time making it look like swings and dips are just you moving straight through the environment. The camera should dip through the pendulum and rise at the top. The camera should lean into quick turns or turns, in general. Not stay 100% level while you hook 90 degree turns on a short web.

There's just so much left on the table no Spidey game has done yet and it baffles me how devs miss the little details in camera and pendulum style physics to really impressed upon the player a slight sense of vertigo and momentum. SM2s was over the top in speed, a bit TOO physics based (smacking walls left and right) and the camera was only half there, but it's still the best we have yet.

This free swinging is sterile. It lacks quite a bit compared to earlier releases. I am disappointed a bit, to be honest.

I don't know if I want accurate physics or overly dynamic camera work in a spiderman game. Realism does not always equal fun, and in this case, the thought of trying to track or chase down an enemy while I am managing fluctuating swinging speeds and a camera focused on physics realism should give any gamer pause.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
During something like the crane scene in this demo? Do you have any examples.
Uncharted 4, the AC games, iirc, ROTR reduced relegated that to combat only, linear set pieces have long moved past the part where we have QTEs cluttering the screen.

Uncharted 4, the AC games, iirc, ROTR reduced relegated that to combat only, linear set pieces have long moved past the part where we have QTEs cluttering the screen.

There's both in here. I would venture to guess the Things Spider-Man is doing in this video would be much harder to pull off like that then anything in those games you mentioned.

PulseONE

Did QTE's kill some of your dogs or something? :\

They can be annoying if overdone sure, but considering this was a short snippet of what's definitely a story mission, I doubt every moment of the full game with be full of them

UC has nothing like that .
In no UC game do you stop huge things from falling with drake .
In fact the shit spidey going to be doing don't think those games have anything like it .

Sayad

There's both in here. I would venture to guess the Things Spider-Man is doing in this video would be much harder to pull off like that then anything in those games you mentioned.
If you have no idea how to implement it into gameplay properly, either remove it or just leave it in as a cut-scene, because then I at least might appreciate what's going on instead of going "not this shit again!".

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
UC has nothing like that .
In no UC game do you stop huge things from falling with drake .
In fact the shit spidey going to be doing don't think those games have anything like it .

Exactly. Nate is either running, gunning, or climbing (and now swinging on a rope). That is in no way comparable to the set pieces Spider-Man's abilities make possible.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Did QTE's kill some of your dogs or something? :\

They can be annoying if overdone sure, but considering this was a short snippet of what's definitely a story mission, I doubt every moment of the full game with be full of them

Remember RE4? nobody complained about those QTE's, in fact it was praised that even in cutscenes you have to be on the edge of your seat since if you fuck one of those quick time events up you will die and the game is over, same is probably here.

I rather have those scenes as QTE's instead of watching a cutscene, it totally puts you out of the scene while with a quick time event you need to stay focused all the time.

Remember RE4? nobody complained about those QTE's, in fact it was praised that even in cutscenes you have to be on the edge of your seat since if you fuck one of those quick time events up you will die and the game is over, same is probably here.

I rather have those scenes as QTE's instead of watching a cutscene, it totally puts you out of the scene while with a quick time event you need to stay focused all the time.

Fully agree better to press a button than to take away control from the player .
Plus some of these look more context sensitive stuff than QTE's .

PulseONE

Agreed, given the choice between non-interactive cutscene and gameplay seamlessly streaming into a QTE, I'd go with the latter

There's no disconnect, it doesn't pull you out of the action, unless of course you have some kind of trauma associated with QTEs for some reason...

Kssio_Aug

It looks good. But coming from Insomniac I expected something so much different... not that QTE based presentation!! =/

The game still looks good, but I'm a little bit disappointed. Sunset Overdrive and Ratchet & Clank relies purely on gameplay and they're fucking awesome. I was expecting Spider-Man to follow this direction.

If you have no idea how to implement it into gameplay properly, either remove it or just leave it in as a cut-scene, because then I at least might appreciate what's going on instead of going "not this shit again!".

Well I'm the opposite I like having that tiny bit of interactivity instead of just watching a cutscene. I think the scene wouldn't be as epic if you removed the whole thing.

I'm amazed to see how split the opinions are on this. Some sound really hyped, others seem super disappointed.

Like I said earlier, I think Insomniac's biggest sin is their choice of showing this mission as the first chunk of gameplay. I have a really strong feeling it's misleading a lot of people to think that the whole game will be filled with QTEs.

Boke1879

It looks good. But coming from Insomniac I expected something so much different... not that QTE based presentation!! =/

The game still looks good, but I'm a little bit disappointed. Sunset Overdrive and Ratchet & Clank relies purely on gameplay and they're fucking awesome. I was expecting Spider-Man to follow this direction.

It was like one segment that had some QTE's

What would people rather have in place of QTE's? It's either that or a cutscene with no interaction. There's no way to do those quick Spidey moves with general inputs while all that action is going on.

Like I said earlier, I think Insomniac's biggest sin is their choice of showing this mission as the first chunk of gameplay. I have a really strong feeling it's misleading a lot of people to think that the whole game will be filled with QTEs.

I guess they could have shown some free roaming in the city before the mission, but these E3 showings are usually like this.

Anung

Un Rama
I don't know the presentation was really impressive and QTE's don't bother me at all and looked cool. But something about this just looks really stilted to me. Both the combat and swinging.

The weight of the swinging looks fantastic but the flow of animations just don't look great to be.

Kssio_Aug

It was like one segment that had some QTE's

The gameplay presentation had a little more than 8 minutes. From 4:20 onwards it was almost exclusively QTE. And there was a tiny QTE scene before that (and the moves in general were a bit more automated than I expected). That was a lot of QTE.

Again, I'm not saying it looks bad. I still want it, and still think it looks a good game. It's just not something I expected from Insomniac after their other games this gen.

Top Bottom