• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man E3 2017 Gameplay - PS4 - 2018

Springy

The amount of hype in here seems to way outdo what little love the Beenox games received, and I'm not seeing what puts this so far above those, except even more bits where you have to repeat a cutscene if you don't press 'X' when it flashes up on screen.

Still, I liked those older games a great deal, so I'm probably in.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The amount of hype in here seems to way outdo what little love the Beenox games received, and I'm not seeing what puts this so far above those, except even more bits where you have to repeat a cutscene if you don't press 'X' when it flashes up on screen.

Still, I liked those older games a great deal, so I'm probably in.

The close combat was awful in those games.

Springy

The close combat was awful in those games.

Is the difference we're discussing purely the quality of the execution? Because they're functionally identical. Those games used Arkham's combat principles, too. Managing groups, building the combo meter and countering.

KodaRuss

It looks really fucking good. However, I am not thrilled to see QTEs, they did not look incredibly obtuse but damn do I hate them.

Is the difference we're discussing purely the quality of the execution? Because they're functionally identical. Those games used Arkham's combat principles, too. Managing groups, building the combo meter and countering.

The execution was pretty bad, although I enjoyed the first ASM. It also seems like Spider-Man's webs come more into play in this combat system then that one. And the incorporation of environmental objects such as the beam and the sandbags are way more in play here then ever.

I've always wanted a game with combat more akin to how I used to play with action figures and until I can control both enemy and hero, this is as close as it gets. Loved what I saw.

I can't be down on the slo-mo and qte object use. Not when the alternative would just be another button mashing, wail on idiots with the same 3-hit combo over and over scenario.

I didn't like Arkham combat at all so seeing it here is a bit disconcerting, but at the end of the day it makes the most sense. It's been beaten to death too, but yeah, QTE's do suck. Thankfully that's not all this game has.

Hopefully.

I actually am struggling to fathom how hysterical people are being about QTEs, they were in scenes where Peter was doing things such as stopping a crane falling down. There is no open, free gameplay to things like that. It's either QTEs or a cutscene.

And yet the rest of the gameplay was pure gameplay but apparently we have a minute at best of QTEs and everyone loses their damn minds.

Am I missing something here?

Loris146

I actually am struggling to fathom how hysterical people are being about QTEs, they were in scenes where Peter was doing things such as stopping a crane falling down. There is no open, free gameplay to things like that. It's either QTEs or a cutscene.

And yet the rest of the gameplay was pure gameplay but apparently we have a minute at best of QTEs and everyone loses their damn minds.

No you are just on neogaf.

LordRaptor

The majority of what was shown was QTEs, with some arkham style combat - arkhams combat itself being dangerously close to QTEs at times anyway.

Djostikk

I've heard that QTE's aren't essential, not like in a Spider-Man 3 Videogame. QTE plays unique animation, but failing won't lead going back to checkpoint. And helicopter scene can be finished earlier if you are fast enough, you don't have to follow him until certain cutscene.

Roni

Gold Member
I thought the grapple-like (when making the Arkham comparison) animations were a bit repetitive. Hope they introduce a few more animations for that for the sake of immersion.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
This Spider-Man obviously does not use web cartridges right?

Maybe, if you watch the part where it's first person and he's shooting the webbing to stop the helicopter, it looks like there's some sort of pressure release when he's shooting the webs.

And look at his wrists.
kKfxWQj.png

The animations in this game are really good.
The thing where you accidentally mush up against geometry when swinging is where I expect things to typically turn into a horrible awkward mess. Looks good here.

I wonder, when Spidey is up on rooftops and there's a chance you'll knock people off it to their deaths, how do you handle that? Does the game automatically prevent you from straight up definitely murdering people by webbing them up? If so, how do you make that happen while the player's in the middle of doing all this other shit?

Not a fan of magical mystical energy man. His powers are too abstract to get a grasp of. And seems kind of boring. "Look at me, I have some kind of generic made-up energy stuff powers! Who knows what I'm capable of except for emitting weird black particles?"
It is not immediately compelling.
This was sweet, except for he didn't say "Stop hitting yourself!"
I was very disappointed by this.

InsomniSpidey

Neo Member
This Spider-Man obviously does not use web cartridges right?
He does have mechanical shooters, and I noticed some "special" web attacks drain a webbing meter for a few seconds before it builds back up (like the remote webbing move he does near the beginning of the demo).

LordRaptor

With that logic, any game that involves button presses and timing are QTE's.

Not really, have you played any of the arkham games to the point where you need to press specific buttons at specific times (telegraphed by UI button indicators over the enemy heads) to defeat an enemy?

e:
Not a fan of magical mystical energy man. His powers are too abstract to get a grasp of. And seems kind of boring. "Look at me, I have some kind of generic made-up energy stuff powers! Who knows what I'm capable of except for emitting weird black particles?"

Uhhhh...... I guess you don't read the comics?

Gbraga

This captured Spidey's acrobatics and fluid style of combat and use of webs in combat/stealth way better than any Spiderman game I've ever seen. None of the other games even come close, based on this; the fluidity of how he'd use the environment, web enemies to the environment, the aerial elements of the fighting, etc.

OptimisticCarefulDeviltasmanian.gif

Sure, as I said, waaaay higher production values.

Mr-Joker

Banned
After watching the gameplay footage, it looked good but I after I saw how common the quick time event were and the fact that I was having a hard time telling what part was game play and what part was cut scene I just ended up cancelling my pre-order, I also didn't like the fact that Spider-Man had regenerating Webs.

I will probably get it sometime after launch when it gets a price drops.

Spinluck

What is it with people watching Spidey trailers lately and thinking half the product has been revealed? You've seen a couple of minutes. Relax.

I was disappointed to find that Uncharted 4 wasn't a driving game after it was initially demoed at E3.

Naughty Dog with the false advertising.

Thought we were finally getting Unkarted but we got yet another Uncharted game.

Harmen

That is just gaf.

Given that this is an open world title, I assume there is plenty non-scripted gameplay to be found, well less focus on QTE setpieces.

Not QTE heavy, but some of the more linear cinematic quests in the Witcher and Horizon are absolute highlight because of the contrast to the regular open world gameplay. I loom forward to these type of setpiece missions a lot.

LionPride

Banned

No, people here are just weird as fuck

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Nope, just your usual internet whining from a select few. Everyone else is excited for what is obviously a solid looking title!

KodaRuss

Maybe, if you watch the part where it's first person and he's shooting the webbing to stop the helicopter, it looks like there's some sort of pressure release when he's shooting the webs.

And look at his wrists.
kKfxWQj.png

Nice Eye, definitely looks like web cartridges there.

It doesn't look like it, but I noticed some "special" web attacks drain a webbing meter for a few seconds before it builds back up (like the remote webbing move he does near the beginning of the demo).

Maybe it is just a regenerating ability otherwise he used a ton of damn webbing in that gameplay demo with just 2 web cartridges haha.

ItIsOkBro

how about attaching a web to the building, then loop de looping around the crane manually

Nope, just your usual internet whining from a select few. Everyone else is excited for what is obviously a solid looking title!

I get that Gaf isn't exactly representative of the larger population of people that play games, so it probably ultimately doesn't matter, but the number of people dismissing those of us with concerns about QTEs as crazy or a minority is pretty ridiculous. I'd estimate somewhere around 25% of the posts in this thread mention QTEs, whether positive or negative. The game looks impressive, but the QTEs obviously stand out. People notice them. That's half the reason I hate them so much - if you're going to go through the trouble of crafting this intense action scene, I want to see it. I don't want to focus on waiting for button prompts. Just from watching the video I got into the mindset of watching for button prompts rather than paying attention to what's happening. To me, that's bad design.

tmlDan

I get that Gaf isn't exactly representative of the larger population of people that play games, so it probably ultimately doesn't matter, but the number of people dismissing those of us with concerns about QTEs as crazy or a minority is pretty ridiculous. I'd estimate somewhere around 25% of the posts in this thread mention QTEs, whether positive or negative. The game looks impressive, but the QTEs obviously stand out. People notice them. That's half the reason I hate them so much - if you're going to go through the trouble of crafting this intense action scene, I want to see it. I don't want to focus on waiting for button prompts. Just from watching the video I got into the mindset of watching for button prompts rather than paying attention to what's happening. To me, that's bad design.

So Mr. Game Designer. Explain how you get those huge set pieces without QTE's? Even God Of War did it and nobody complained...

Top Bottom