• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carrie Fisher's autopsy reveals 'cocktail of drugs'

:/

Tragic.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-carrie-fisher-autopsy-report-20170619-story.html

A Los Angeles County coroner’s report released on Monday revealed a mixture of drugs that were in actress Carrie Fisher’s system when she went into cardiac arrest on an L.A.-bound flight and later died.

Fisher’s toxicology review found evidence of cocaine, MDMA (better known as ecstasy), alcohol and opiates when she was rushed to Ronald Reagan UCLA Hospital on Dec. 23, a toxicology report showed.

cr0w

Old Member
The heroin is surprising. The rest is not, given her history. Unfortunately, an addict is never a former addict.

Mimosa97

Why do they have to make the details public? They should have stopped at " we found drugs in her system ".

Shels already dead and there was no foul play. What's the point?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Why do they have to make the details public? They should have stopped at " we found drugs in her system ".

Her family didn't even want this to be done in the first place.

Cheebo

Banned

They have to make this public, that is the entire point of doing an autopsy.

This is public record, that is how it is meant to be. You are suggesting destroying the entire point of autopsies.

It's public record iirc. Even if they didn't publicly make a statement tmz or someone else would have gotten the details.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

It's a matter of public record and the fact that she's a famous person actually amplifies the message and its importance. It can be a learning moment.

Damn, thought she was clean.

Why would you have thought that.

Carrie Fisher has never been "clean."

I keep waiting for a parody twitter account to pop up RT'ing this report like "Of course I did, you assholes" Because of course she did. Hell, her daughter basically said as much in a release last week.

“My mom battled drug addiction and mental illness her entire life. She ultimately died of it. She was purposefully open in all of her work about the social stigmas surrounding these diseases.

“She talked about the shame that torments people and their families confronted by these diseases. I know my Mom, she’d want her death to encourage people to be open about their struggles. Seek help, fight for government funding for mental health programs. Shame and those social stigmas are the enemies of progress to solutions and ultimately a cure. Love you Momby.”

Nyoro SF

The long-running road of celebrities falling victim to drug abuse doesn't look like it's coming to an end anytime soon... though I'm not sure if the ratio of celebrities vs. non-celebrities dying due to drugs is the same.

So her death was almost assuredly preventable?

Man that's a bummer. :(

I wouldn't go that far. If she was abusing alcohol and drugs as much as it appears then she clearly had unresolved issues. She would have found another way to self destruct most likely as sad as it is to say.

The long-running road of celebrities falling victim to drug abuse doesn't look like it's coming to an end anytime soon... though I'm not sure if the ratio of celebrities vs. non-celebrities dying due to drugs is the same.

Drug abuse is a rampant problem in society, much moreso than it is with celebrities.

Brakke

Banned

More information is generally better than less.

Let's say you're the CDC trying to put together statistics for how lethal various recreational drugs are so you can focus prevention / education efforts. You need reliable numbers. Or a researcher at a university of a private institution or whatever.

In this specific case, I'd say shining a light on the possibly-preventable death of a beloved celebrity has clear value to the public as far as demonstrating the dangers of addiction.

Boke1879

It's definitely not a surprise. Unfortunate her demons got the best of her.

But she was a wild ride from start to finish. This doesn't diminish my view of her one bit.

BriGuy

Geez, just about any one of those is bad enough, but all of them? It almost begs the question of what she was trying to accomplish if not suicide.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
More information is generally better than less.

Let's say you're the CDC trying to put together statistics for how lethal various recreational drugs are so you can focus prevention / education efforts. You need reliable numbers. Or a researcher at a university of a private institution or whatever.

In this specific case, I'd say shining a light on the possibly-preventable death of a beloved celebrity has clear value to the public as far as demonstrating the dangers of addiction.

These statistics can find their way into the hands of researchers without anyone needing to know her name. She could just be Jane Doe #536685, aged XX who died with such and such in her system.

Top Bottom