• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buried knife found on O.J. Simpson's former property being tested by LAPD

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with double jeopardy – Let's say someone framed me for murdering them and I was charged and sentenced for the murder. But in actuality they faked their death and disappeared for years. If I got released from prison and found them, could I stab them in the face in front of the attorney general and there's nothing they could do about it?

Patryn

So with double jeopardy – Let's say someone framed me for murdering them and I was charged and sentenced for the murder. But in actuality they faked their death and disappeared for years. If I got released from prison and found them, could I stab them in the face in front of the attorney general and there's nothing they could do about it?

No.

You would have been convicted of killing them at a specific time and place. Killing them later would be considered a separate crime, as it happened at a different time and place, albeit with the same victim.

Think about it this way: If your theory held, then after a person was convicted of rape or assault and get out of prison, they'd have a free pass to repeat their crime over and over again with the same victim without worrying about getting convicted again.

213372bu

Banned
If_I_Did_It.jpg

That's not the right book cover though:
If_I_did_It_2.png

This was a Law and Order episode.

This was a Law and Order episode.

lol I knew it had to be a movie or something. How did it turn out for them in the Law & Order sode?

No.

You would have been convicted of killing them at a specific time and place. Killing them later would be considered a separate crime, as it happened at a different time and place, albeit with the same victim.

Think about it this way: If your theory held, then after a person was convicted of rape or assault and get out of prison, they'd have a free pass to repeat their crime over and over again with the same victim without worrying about getting convicted again.

Gotcha. I guess I didn't realize it applied to all crimes, especially since it's impossible to murder a person twice. You'd think they'd toss you a revenge freebie.

Patryn

Gotcha. I guess I didn't realize it applied to all crimes, especially since it's impossible to murder a person twice. You'd think they'd toss you a revenge freebie.

The State tends to not encourage violence. The correct course of actions would likely be filling a civil suit against your friend, and possibly seeing if you could get them charged with fraud.

It's possible you'd also be able to get a nice settlement out of the government.

213372bu

Banned
The tiny 'If' in the 'I' is fantastic.

I think the family gained publishing privileges of the book after OJ claimed bankruptcy since he owed them financial compensation.

They cancelled his version and went with this version of the book cover.

Hiding "If" in the "I", calling it "confessions of the killer", and adding "He did it" is brilliant.

And OJ didn't even write the book, a ghostwriter did it, so they scrubbed his name off the book.

masud

Banned
I stil remember my school shopping class for the veridict and my middle school teacher literally crying afterwards. Shit was surreal.

I'm glad this has come up to remind us that, regardless of his probable guilt, that the jury was correct in their verdict. DNA evidence or no, the LAPD contaminated the crime scene by bringing his blood sample to the crime scene. Further evidence of LAPD's gross incompetence.

I stil remember my school shopping class for the veridict and my middle school teacher literally crying afterwards. Shit was surreal.

Yeah, I was only in the 3rd grade, but my teacher turned on the radio and had us all listen to it. I had no clue what was going on.

ElRenoRaven

So CNN was just talking to Harvey from TMZ and another guy. Harvey says that the worker who found it found it buried on the perimeter of the property and actually called the police about it. They told him it was a shut case since the trial and that they had no need for it. So basically a polite fuck off. Hence it set in a toolbox of his for about 15 years before he gave it to the cop.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Wouldn't double jeopardy (and the statute of limitations) prevent this from being re-opened? I mean sure, we might get in a case where people all publicly decide he's guilty (moreso than they already do), but legally I don't think he could be retried for it.

He can't be tried again. As for a statute of limitations, there is none on murder.

Dalek

So CNN was just talking to Harvey from TMZ and another guy. Harvey says that the worker who found it found it buried on the perimeter of the property and actually called the police about it. They told him it was a shut case since the trial and that they had no need for it. So basically a polite fuck off. Hence it set in a toolbox of his for about 15 years before he gave it to the cop.

Wow

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The knife was apparently turned over to a police officer a number of years ago by a person working construction at the property, a law enforcement source said.

Detectives more recently learned of the knife's existence and are now investigating where it came from, according to the source, who cautioned that the investigation is still in its early stages.

The officer who had the knife was retiring and apparently informed Robbery Homicide detectives of the weapons' existence in the last few months.

I know they can't charge OJ, but if it's found to be the murder weapon, what charges can this piece of shit officer receive who withheld it for years?

Vestal

Gold Member
I know they can't charge OJ, but if it's found to be the murder weapon, what charges can this piece of shit officer receive who withheld it for years?

Who knows really.. Probably none. The chain of Custody is fucked backwards and forward. How can you prove this was found in OJs backyard? How can you prove the blood was there when it was found?

A defense lawyer would have a field day.

its all sorts of fucked up.

Oriel

In late January of this year, after the cop retired from the LAPD, he contacted a friend who worked in LAPD's Robbery Homicide Division (RHD). The cop told the friend about the knife and said he was getting it framed to put on his wall. He wanted his friend to get the DR (Departmental Record) number for the Nicole Brown Simpson/Ronald Goldman murder case, which he planned on engraving in the frame.

The brass balls on this guy.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Just realizing Lenny Kravitz would've been a fucking awesome choice to play OJ in the mini-series.

Still can't get over how bad of a choice Cuba Gooding Jr was. They might as well have gotten Mario Lopez to do it.
Lenny Kravitz isn't an Oscar winning actor though.

I don't care how long it's been or whether the case is open or not, he should be tried and thrown in prison for this.

The cop, I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom