• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buried knife found on O.J. Simpson's former property being tested by LAPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Knife found on O.J. Simpson property being tested by LAPD

In another twist in the long-running O.J. Simpson saga, Los Angeles police are investigating and testing a knife that was recovered on property once owned by the former football star.

The elite Robbery Homicide Division is investigating a buck knife now in possession of the department.

The knife was apparently turned over to a police officer a number of years ago by a person working construction at the property, a law enforcement source said.

Detectives more recently learned of the knife's existence and are now investigating where it came from, according to the source, who cautioned that the investigation is still in its early stages.

The officer who had the knife was retiring and apparently informed Robbery Homicide detectives of the weapons' existence in the last few months. An LAPD detective informed superiors, who immediately launched an investigation into the knife's history and ordered a series of forensic tests to determine whether it had any connection with the 1994 murders of Simpson's ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ron Goldman.

Finding the knife that killed the two had been an obsession of police and others in the wake of the 1994 murders.

Authorities searched for the murder weapon for months after the slayings, and there have been many leads that went cold.

A 15-inch knife with a retractable blade that Simpson purchased at Ross Cutlery in downtown Los Angeles briefly tantalized prosecutors in his criminal trial. They thought it might be the murder weapon, and even asked a coroner to compare that type of blade with the slicing, stabbing wounds in the killings. The fact that no one could locate the knife only added to the intrigue.

But the defense produced the knife — in an envelope that became known as the "mystery envelope" in the preliminary hearing. Forensic tests later revealed that the knife was in pristine condition, with no scratches or bloodstains to suggest it had been used in the vicious June 12, 1994, double homicide.

When the new owners of Simpson's Brentwood estate decided to raze it in 1998, a man involved in the construction joked in an interview with The Times: "We haven't found the knife yet."

Existence of the knife was first reported by TMZ.

Original TMZ article:
http://www.tmz.com/2016/03/04/oj-simpson-knife-found-murders-nicole-brown/

Turns out the cop -- who worked in the traffic division -- was off duty at the time, working security for a movie shoot at a house across the street on Rockingham. Our sources say the officer took the knife home and kept it ... kept it for years.

In late January of this year, after the cop retired from the LAPD, he contacted a friend who worked in LAPD's Robbery Homicide Division (RHD). The cop told the friend about the knife and said he was getting it framed to put on his wall. He wanted his friend to get the DR (Departmental Record) number for the Nicole Brown Simpson/Ronald Goldman murder case, which he planned on engraving in the frame.

We're told the friend was indignant, and told his superiors. The brass was outraged and demanded that the retired cop turn the knife over, which he did.
Our sources say the knife is currently being tested for hair and fingerprints. It will be moved to the Serology Unit next week, where it will be tested for DNA and other biological evidence.

One source familiar with the investigation tells us, cops who eyeballed the knife think it could have blood residue on it, but it's hard to know without testing because it's extremely rusted and stained.

The investigation is top secret. It's been logged into the LAPD's computer system outside the official case file to maintain security. Our sources say, since O.J. was found not guilty, it's still an open case. That means cops can continue investigating, but O.J. cannot be prosecuted again -- double jeopardy.

Sephzilla

So if the knife was tested and it had the blood/DNA of the victims on it, could that be enough to re-open the case or something? And would the fact that the officer had the knife and didn't tell anyone for a while also hurt the credibility of the knife as evidence?

#ArmchairLawyer

EDIT - Nope! See: Replies below

Dalek

So if the knife was tested and it had the blood/DNA of the victims on it, could that be enough to re-open the case or something? And would the fact that the officer had the knife and didn't tell anyone for a while also hurt the credibility of the knife as evidence?

#ArmchairLawyer

That I don't know-but I do know that Juice is eligible for parole in his robbery sentencing in October 2017

So if the knife was tested and it had the blood of the victims on it, could that be enough to re-open the case or something? And would the fact that the officer had the knife and didn't tell anyone for a while also hurt the credibility of the knife as evidence?

#ArmchairLawyer

It would do nothing to impact OJ Simpson. He has already been charged and found not guilty, and our system of law prevents double jeopardy. If the knife produced evidence that implicated somebody else, then yes, it would then be useful, but now chain of custody is in question.

A 15-inch knife with a retractable blade

I know this isn't the knife they're talking about having found but....WTF? A 15 inch retractable blade? I'm trying to picture this. I've never seen such a thing.

Dalek

It would do nothing to impact OJ Simpson. He has already been charged and found not guilty, and our system of law prevents double jeopardy. If the knife produced evidence that implicated somebody else, then yes, it would then be useful, but now chain of custody is in question.

According to the original TMZ article:

One source familiar with the investigation tells us, cops who eyeballed the knife think it could have blood residue on it, but it's hard to know without testing because it's extremely rusted and stained.

The investigation is top secret. It's been logged into the LAPD's computer system outside the official case file to maintain security. Our sources say, since O.J. was found not guilty, it's still an open case. That means cops can continue investigating, but O.J. cannot be prosecuted again -- double jeopardy.

jmizzal

#ArmchairLawyer

Nope cant open the case again, its called double jeopardy

but I doubt its the real weapon and somebody buried it there as a joke years after the trial

Coppanuva

#ArmchairLawyer

Wouldn't double jeopardy (and the statute of limitations) prevent this from being re-opened? I mean sure, we might get in a case where people all publicly decide he's guilty (moreso than they already do), but legally I don't think he could be retried for it.

LegoDad

#ArmchairLawyer

Case was left open so they can always invesigate and can't have double jeopardy, so OJ can't be charged, but someone else could be.

The Hobo

Can we really believe that retiring officer's story? What if he's the real killer and this "buried in OJ's yard" is a cover story.

Open your eyes people!

Cat Party

#ArmchairLawyer
OJ cannot be retried for the killings. And yes, the chain of custody of the knife is problematic, to say the least.

OJ3-2.jpg

Motherfucker

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Does anyone really believe he didn't do it?

mf.luder

Nope cant open the case again, its called double jeopardy

Really? This would be new evidence, wouldn't it?

Aren't there cases where someone has been acquitted, DNA testing advances, then get a new lead and retest the evidence to find that the person that was acquitted before is now guilty?

GuyKazama

Aren't there cases where someone has been acquitted, DNA testing advances, then get a new lead and retest the evidence to find that the person that was acquitted before is now guilty?

He was acquitted. It is over. Different if you are found guilty.

New evidence doesn't matter, it's a constitutional right

This isn't Italy where prosecutors apparently keep trying the case until they succeed. In America, you get one bite at the apple.

Sephzilla

He was acquitted. It is over. Different if you are found guilty.

I don't like that the rules are different if you're found guilty versus innocent. If new evidence comes up that changes the potential verdict, it shouldn't matter if you were innocent or guilty before. I totally get the whole double jeopardy matter and how that can be a giant slippery slope, however.

Blader

It's been so long and dude just turning it in now ?? Sounds fishy

He's not turning it in now; he wanted the knife framed for his home, and asked another cop to give him the case number to go along with it. It's only because that second cop thought "hey wait a minute, this is fucking evidence!" that he told the higher ups.

RS4-

Turns out the cop -- who worked in the traffic division -- was off duty at the time, working security for a movie shoot at a house across the street on Rockingham. Our sources say the officer took the knife home and kept it ... kept it for years.

In late January of this year, after the cop retired from the LAPD, he contacted a friend who worked in LAPD's Robbery Homicide Division (RHD). The cop told the friend about the knife and said he was getting it framed to put on his wall. He wanted his friend to get the DR (Departmental Record) number for the Nicole Brown Simpson/Ronald Goldman murder case, which he planned on engraving in the frame.

what the fuck.

I don't like that the rules are different if you're found guilty versus innocent. If new evidence comes up that changes the potential verdict, it shouldn't matter if you were innocent or guilty before. I totally get the whole double jeopardy matter and how that can be a giant slippery slope, however.

The post aboe yours highlights why retrying until convicted is horrible, as the case of the American in Italy.

He's not turning it in now; he wanted the knife framed for his home, and asked another cop to give him the case number to go along with it. It's only because that second cop thought "hey wait a minute, this is fucking evidence!" that he told the higher ups.

That is fucking insane. WTF

jonezer4

That's how double jeopardy works. OJ literally could have walked out of the court house and said, "I did it and here's the knife" and he would be untouchable (well, civil trial being excepted).

GuyKazama

At least in this case he's so stupid that he is in jail... until he is paroled next year.

HeySeuss

What a joke. So, the LAPD bungles the case the first time and through their incompetence set a (most likely) killer free.

Now, they've been given a knife found during construction that was found ON OJS FUCKING PROPERTY and it's just been sitting somewhere unaccounted for. Are you kidding me? Holy shit it's fucked up again right from the start.

Let's say it was the murder weapon. Who knows how many people handled it before it was given to the LAPD. Then it sits there, probably in lost and found or some shit for years before somebody realizes it came from OJs property. Any rookie defense attorney would dice up any charges based on that knife because the evidence is tainted. Amazing.

I'd actually be more inclined to believe some officer knew what it could be so he kept it as a souvenir since he was convinced oj did it anyway and knew he couldn't be charged again.

LegoDad

You cant keep going if guilty either. You can appeal to the highest court. If you find DNA to prove you aren't the killer, you are using the court separately aka not being charged for same offence. Here OJ Would be charged for the same crime which is illegal.

Kaladin

It seems like though if the knife does turn out to be a murder weapon they can still go after him with a civil case, right? Or did they already exhaust that?

What a joke. So, the LAPD bungles the case the first time and through their incompetence set a (most likely) killer free.

Now, they've been given a knife found during construction that was found ON OJS FUCKING PROPERTY and it's just been sitting somewhere unaccounted for. Are you kidding me? Holy shit it's fucked up again right from the start.

Let's say it was the murder weapon. Who knows how many people handled it before it was given to the LAPD. Then it sits there, probably in lost and found or some shit for years before somebody realizes it came from OJs property. Any rookie defense attorney would dice up any charges based on that knife because the evidence is tainted. Amazing.

I'd actually be more inclined to believe some officer knew what it could be so he kept it as a souvenir since he was convinced oj did it anyway and knew he couldn't be charged again.

Knife doesn't matter:

1) OJ can't go to trial again
2) We all know he did the murder

Lister

Banned
God damn, if this is true, they should pull pension right out from under this ass-hat cop, or charge him with obstruction.

What a class A asshole.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This is fucking mega ton news.

For younger GAFers who don't know this is some fucking real shit right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom