• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carrie Fisher's autopsy reveals 'cocktail of drugs'

shandy706

Love Fisher, and still do.

Meanwhile I'll continue to not touch a single drug the rest of my life as I've done the first 34 years.

BFIB

Is she had that in her system on a regular basis, I'm honestly surprised she didn't die sooner.

Still sad to hear. Hopefully people will see her story as an inspiration to get away from drugs.

Love Fisher, and still do.

Meanwhile I'll continue to not touch a single drug the rest of my life as I've done the first 34 years.
This is a good stance to take (especially avoiding drugs).

This doesn't reflect poorly on her character, at all. We all have our own weaknesses, and she had remarkable strength in being forthcoming about hers.

This is a good stance to take (especially avoiding drugs).

This doesn't reflect poorly on her character, at all. We all have our own weaknesses, and she had remarkable strength in being forthcoming about hers.

Exactly. This should be the takeaway (and in a lot of cases why it is helpful to release news like this, to put a familiar, beloved face on a serious issue). Somebody's struggles with mental or addiction issues should not change how you feel about them, or make them a bad person. Getting rid of that stigma would go a long way towards getting people in Carrie's position the help they need.

Did anyone here think that her death back in December wasn't a result of her decades of drug use as it was?

I guess I'm unsure as to how/why this information changes anything regarding people's conception of who she was as a person and how she lived, and even how she died.

Most everyone assumed that her death occurred as a result of her body being weakened over the course of 40+ years of constantly using one drug or another as a form of self-medication or prescribed medication from doctors/therapists.

Turns out that's exactly right. We knew it in December. We know it now. Literally nothing has changed. The lifelong addict, sufferer of mental illness, who was also champion for millions who suffered similar problems and an inspiration to fight those problems however they could, died on a plane from health complications brought on by her constantly fighting those problems.

Of course she had some shit in her system.

What's different now, six months later? Other than a fresh opportunity to apply the very shame her daughter just asked this last week to avoid using as any sort of "helpful" tool in the fight against both mental illness AND drug addiction?

To all the people sad that she struggled with this, at least she didn't try and hide it like a lot of people in stardom tend to do.

She used her platform, for better or worse, to bring awareness in a way only she could.

It's sad, but it doesn't surprise me. Fisher had been introduced to drugs at an early age and was in an industry that normalizes harmful drug use. A history of drug abuse does not change my opinion of anybody, either as a professional or an individual. It's sad that it contributed to her untimely death.

Why do they have to make the details public? They should have stopped at " we found drugs in her system ".

Shels already dead and there was no foul play. What's the point?

California, and most states, require that coroners reports are available to the public as the person doesn't fit a group of exceptions (typically, children, victims of gruesome crimes, or from people who successfully appeal the state on behalf of the deceased) and coroners offices are a public service.

It's considered important for public disclosure and especially for journalists. I'd tend to agree... If Coroner reports were only available to a select few (law enforcement, insurance companies, etc), it could impede justice (e.g., an insurance provider refusing to provide an insurance settlement based on information that only they're able to access; or law enforcement coming to a conclusion about an alleged wrongful death, etc).

Poppy

sounds like a hell of a night anyway

but im sure carrie knew what she wanted to do at that point in her life, she knew that wasnt a tenable way to live forever

sad that she died of course

Brakke

Banned
These statistics can find their way into the hands of researchers without anyone needing to know her name. She could just be Jane Doe #536685, aged XX who died with such and such in her system.

Not as cleanly. What if you want to see if there are patterns in social media postings by people immediately preceding an overdose? And what if you have reason to think a coroner is incompetent or corrupt and she's fudging reports to cover up police misconduct or help people cover their murder tracks? In most jurisdictions, coroners are public servants by election or appointment, so their work belongs to the public.

Transparency matters.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
To all the people sad that she struggled with this, at least she didn't try and hide it like a lot of people in stardom tend to do.

She used her platform, for better or worse, to bring awareness in a way only she could.

While I am sad at her struggles, I absolutely admire how open and honest she was about them

Cheebo

Banned
Damn, Carrie, not like this :(

I really don't understand posts like these. We knew she was on drugs in December when she died. We've always known she was constantly on drugs. She never hid this nor claimed to ever not be still addicted to drugs. T

Previous

check out my new Swatch
I am not sure how anyone could have thought this. She never once claimed to be clean, ever. She was VERY public about constantly fighting addition and never having beat it.

Disney was paying her millions to reprise her role, and ended up making one of largest insurance claims in Hollywood history after her death. Given her history I'd be surprised if they didn't require medical proof she was clean before putting millions on the line.

rip Carrie :(

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
That is incredibly sad to hear.

The demon that is substance abuse is difficult to wrangle. Nothing but sympathy for the people that struggle with it. They need support, not scorn.

Cheebo

Banned
Disney was paying her millions to reprise her role, and ended up making one of largest insurance claims in Hollywood history after her death. Given her history I'd be surprised if they didn't require medical proof she was clean before putting millions on the line.

rip Carrie :(

Carrie's comments the last few years make it pretty obvious she wasn't clean though.

Patrick S.

Banned
I really don't understand posts like these. We knew she was on drugs in December when she died. We've always known she was constantly on drugs. She never hid this nor claimed to ever not be still addicted to drugs. T

What's not to understand? I thought she was clean. It's not like I watch celebrity gossip and am up to date on what they are or are not doing all the time.

I am not sure how anyone could have thought this. She never once claimed to be clean, ever. She was VERY public about constantly fighting addition and never having beat it.
It was just an assumption. I wasn't keeping up with every story on her battle with depression and addiction.

Why does this bother you? I assumed she was clean but then find out she wasn't. That's all there is to it.

Cheebo

Banned
What's not to understand? I thought she was clean. It's not like I watch celebrity gossip and am up to date on what they are or are not doing all the time.

It has nothing to do with celebrity gossip. Carrie was extremely open about not being clean.

Faiz

Honestly I thought this was the mantra of pretty much any addict-help program. That you are constantly fighting the addiction, you are always an addict, you never beat it. Even if you are "clean".

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
We didn't know that, though. Everyone knew she did a shit tons of drugs, that was no secret, but no one knew she was still doing them. A big part of her drug story was the fact that she got clean but turns out that wasn't true.

Top Bottom