• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carrie Fisher's autopsy reveals 'cocktail of drugs'

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Damn, that's a lot of hard drugs! I find it amazing she was still able to function.

Years of abuse make addicts very resistant to what you and I would consider a "heroic dose" of some of this stuff. My dad was addicted to opioids for many many years, and when he died one of his "medications" was a form of methadone that actually had a warning on it that basically said "Don't even think about using this dosage unless you've been on opioids for a really long goddamn time." It takes more and more, and eventually it kills you.

Not

Banned
That doesn't diminish the tragedy of it all and the complexity and strength she had in spades as far as I'm concerned. The trash that I'm going to be hearing from some people over the next week

BibiMaghoo

You don't get addicted to all that stuff together, she obviously enjoyed it so good for her. A shame she died, but she lived presumably as she wanted to and I respect that for sure.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Except she didn't though?

Hmm. It is probably unfair to say the drugs were directly related to the heart attack, but would it be entirely unfair to guess that there was a correlation? Isn't cocaine especially supposed to do serious damage to the heart?

Drencrom

Not really. It's great if you are bipolar.

Ecstasy is most definitely not good for bipolar people as it depletes serotonin in your brain.. what are you talking about?

It's not that dangerous.

Probably much less bad for her health than all the Coke she was drinking.

E is great. Try it sometime.

Nah I'm good man...

You don't get addicted to all that stuff together, she obviously enjoyed it so good for her. A shame she died, but she lived presumably as she wanted to and I respect that for sure.

The fuck? She was very open about her life-long fight with drug addiction, she most certainly didn't live and die the way she wanted.

mike6467

The difference between ecstasy and MDMA should be noted. They are not necessarily the same thing. Ecstasy can have all kinds of shit in it that MDMA does not contain. Not sure it's relevant in this case, but the terms aren't interchangeable despite what the article says. This is why harm reduction for this stuff generally advises that people test their pills with commercially available kits.

There's two schools of thought here that I immediately think of. One is that she had money and had someone who was getting her high quality stuff. The other is more likely, and that she ordered her stuff wherever she was, in which case there could've been a ton of other shit in all the drugs listed. Not sure how much she traveled, but if it was a lot then it would almost certainly have been the latter.

moggio

Banned
Yeah, how about people don't try drugs instead. Like, wtf is this pos

Says someone who is probably wallowing in caffeine and drinks alcohol.

Not all drugs are unconditionally bad or harmful and life was undoubtedly unbearable for Carrie without supplementary chemical enhancement, so I can't really begrudge her hoovering up a speedball or whatever if it's what she felt she needed to get through the day.

Bustanen

Yeah nothing wrong with drugs at all. Just Legalize all this shit so more people will die. Fuck drugs and the scumbags who sell them.

Wood Man

Cocaine, exstacy, heroine and alcohol?!? That is an insane cocktail of drugs. She must've really been struggling. Sadly when they announced her death I just knew drugs were involved.

BibiMaghoo

The fuck? She was very open about her life-long fight with drug addiction, she most certainly didn't live and die the way she wanted.

I never said anything about dying the way she wanted, but you can be a struggling addict of something and still take others recreationally. I think it is naive to think that such an assortment was somehow required, and gave no enjoyment. People get fucked up because they enjoy it. She got fucked up over a very long time. I don't think it offensive to link those things together.

Clockwork5

People in here glamorizing hard drugs and saying she lived how she wanted should take a moment to think about what life is like for an elderly drug addict. There is a reason she was open about her fight with addiction.

Such a sad outcome.

I never said anything about dying the way she wanted, but you can be a struggling addict of something and still take others recreationally. I think it is naive to think that such an assortment was somehow required, and gave no enjoyment. People get fucked up because they enjoy it. She got fucked up over a very long time. I don't think it offensive to link those things together.

Addicts get fucked up because they are addicted. Enjoyment often isn't even part of the equation.

That is a really weird (and dangerous) mixture of drugs to take at the same time tbh. Maybe she was trying to overdose?

Mixing drugs can be quite nice. Not safe, but many upers and downer go quietly nicely together. Heroin and powerful stimulants like cocaine or speed is quite common.

It's quite likely one drug led to the other, as your inhibitions and state of mind are dramatically warped.

cr0w

Old Member
wow nice post

Do you think I'm insulting her or something? I deal with drug addiction face to face every day, I'm saying that addicts are never cured like a lot of people like to assume. It's a constant fight, and one that many lose.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
She suffered but I believe she's in a better place now. She'll always be my princess.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Man my heart breaks for her family. Shit like this should never be released to the public. Her battle with addiction should be none of our business. Gonna have all kinds of assholes trying to shit on her legacy now and that ain't right.

BFIB

Man my heart breaks for her family. Shit like this should never be released to the public. Her battle with addiction should be none of our business. Gonna have all kinds of assholes trying to shit on her legacy now and that ain't right.

Thing is, she'd be the first to shit on her OWN legacy for having such a strong addiction. She was a rare breed in that department. She had no problem admitting her faults, instead of hiding from them.

Not really. It's great if you are bipolar.

It's not that dangerous.

Probably much less bad for her health than all the Coke she was drinking.

E is great. Try it sometime.

A rec for marijuana is acceptable but ecstasy? And it being less harm than coke?

Wow fuck off with that shit

TheYanger

A rec for marijuana is acceptable but ecstasy? And it being less harm than coke?

Wow fuck off with that shit

While obviously a coke isn't as likely to immediately cause you to die, I bet someone that took e once and never drank coke would almost surely have a healthier life than someone that drank lots of coke but never touched a 'drug' of any kind.

There's an important difference between a lifelong addict having a system full of drugs at an old age, and the danger of a relatively young person taking ecstasy a single time. I'm not going to tell people to do it because that's really not within the scope of this thread, but the posts here where people are acting like you're very llikely to fuck your life up with some MDMA are....telling. It's regularly classified as less harmful than alcohol, for example. As long as you take a moderate dosage and drink water, you're not any more likely to die of that than you are of doing basically anything else.

The quote from her daughter on the first page was fantastic and the most important thing to take from all of this: The stigma against mental health problems and drug problems and treating them is the real issue here.

Of all people I'm pretty sure Carrie Fisher wouldn't want us feeling sorry for her.

She went out like she was a member of Motley Crue, fuck yea Carrie!

Princess36.jpg

Princess, Bad ass, Rockstar

Big One

Banned
Of all people I'm pretty sure Carrie Fisher wouldn't want us feeling sorry for her.

She went out like she was a member of Motley Crue, fuck yea Carrie!
While it's good to praise her career and look at the positives of her life, I do not think glorifying her addictions is really the most appropriate thing. She clearly struggled with addiction in a negative way throughtout her entire life. There's nothing positive about that at all, even if she would want us to joke about it and talk shit about her cause that's how Carrie was.

Still what's done is done, and while we can sit here and talk about "what ifs" or whatever, she's passed on. We still lost a national treasure in Carrie Fisher, and her drug addiction issues does that stop that. She was awesome.

Nodnol

It's incredibly sad that her demons finally caught up to her.

One of her greatest attributes was wearing her faults for all to see. If that gives someone else strength in their own problems, then she'd be happy, I'd guess.

She'll always be our princess.

Carrie Fisher's autopsy revealing traces of drugs is sad. She fought a long, hard battle with her demons and they, sadly, eventually won. Still a princess, still a general, still missed by her fans and, more importantly, still missed infinitely more by her friends and family.

Top Bottom